non panzer tanks
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

#1: non panzer tanks Author: fruitbar PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:17 am
    —
i saw the germans had some sort of light and heavy tank that is not a panzer including one that has two main guns...

what are these supposed to be??

#2: Re: non panzer tanks Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 am
    —
They are French tanks

the Char B has the 2 guns

#3: Re: non panzer tanks Author: fruitbar PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:43 pm
    —
and they are pretty weak...not surprisingly

#4: Re: non panzer tanks Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:10 pm
    —
The 75mm is forward firing only, has very limited or no traverse in CC. IRL I think its fired by the driver, aimed by the commander, its a real confusing setup. It has heavy front armour though and can withstand alot of shots. There were a few examples of the Char holding its own when the Germans invaded France, good stories.

#5: Re: non panzer tanks Author: Therion PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:18 pm
    —
It was both aimed and fired by the driver Very Happy . It's my favourite tank Very Happy .

#6: Re: non panzer tanks Author: fruitbar PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:09 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
...It has heavy front armour though and can withstand alot of shots. There were a few examples of the Char holding its own when the Germans invaded France, good stories.

that is until i threw a grenade at it :D

i say its not much of a heavy tank than you can expect..one grenade apparently disabled the main gun and immobilized it

#7: Re: non panzer tanks Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 pm
    —
Didn't 7th Panzer come across a bunch of them refueling in 1940 and take them out by shooting through the open side doors?

#8: Re: non panzer tanks Author: DCLXVI PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 9:22 pm
    —
If I recall correctly, they had a weakness in the side ventilation grille...other than that, they were considered one of the best tanks at the start of the war (~1940)....

#9: Re: non panzer tanks Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 pm
    —
Yes, I think you're right.

#10: Re: non panzer tanks Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 pm
    —
That tank was as useful as Maginot-line  Laughing

#11: Re: non panzer tanks Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:30 pm
    —
Weren't they used as mobile pillboxes and for infantry support because the commanders of the day had not grasped mobile warfare?

#12: Re: non panzer tanks Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:27 pm
    —
Therion wrote (View Post):
It was both aimed and fired by the driver Very Happy .

I see that being a silly setup, because the position is driver not gunner/driver, which means that he should focus on driving rather than trying to fire and reload a cannon while driving. It's like those people who are on a cellphone, and eating while they are driving.

#13: Re: non panzer tanks Author: fruitbar PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:04 pm
    —
king_tiger_tank wrote (View Post):
Therion wrote (View Post):
It was both aimed and fired by the driver Very Happy .

I see that being a silly setup, because the position is driver not gunner/driver, which means that he should focus on driving rather than trying to fire and reload a cannon while driving. It's like those people who are on a cellphone, and eating while they are driving.

which is why i fix that Laughing

untitled.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  286.78 KB
 Viewed:  12164 Time(s)

untitled.JPG

#14: Re: non panzer tanks Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:27 am
    —
fruitbar wrote (View Post):
which is why i fix that

Surely that's unrealistic?

... or are you just having a larff?

#15: Re: non panzer tanks Author: Mopolopy PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:01 am
    —
The weak points of the B1 were:

-Slow
-Massive
-one man turret, the commander had to serve the 47mm gun (wich was considered a secondary gun, the main one was the 75mm located in the hull), look for targets, command his crew and sometimes command other tanks !
-Fuel capacity, thus reducing its action radius (150 km only)

However, in 1940, only the rare Panzer IV could compete with it (and I mean short-barreled Pz IV, the others didn't exist), aerial bombing was a very frequent way to destroy them.
B1 bis had thick armor (60mm, yeah thin compared to a Tiger tank but the latter appeared two years later; Sherman tanks ). The vent was not a weak spot, it was well protected.
The 47mm gun could pierce ANY German tank present in 1940.

And yes indeed, this tank looks very odd to PRESENT tanks and tank doctrines.

Excellent idea to add another crew member by the way  Laughing
Does it work ?

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1