Dangerous Waters Naval Combat Sim
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Dangerous Waters Naval Combat Sim Author: rob86 PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:43 pm
    —
Does anybody play Sonalyst Dangerous Waters (the newer version of Sub Command)? I'm not very good at it by any means but I do play it. For those who have never heard of it, it's a nice game/simulation, quite slow paced (naturally it can be sped up like most of these sims) and realistic and requires a lot of brain power. It's not a game for people that don't want to read a manual, before reading the manual it was like boarding a martian spacecraft for the first time. I didn't understand anything. The manual is quite good though and it's a rewarding experience for anyone interested in knowing what its like to be on a sub.

Dangerous waters is better than Sub Command because it also lets you "pilot" a helicopter, a naval bomber, a destroyer ship (or something) and of course different submarines. Graphics are very good though you don't often look at them other than to admire the cool explosion of your torpedo blowing up a ship or a surface to air missile blowing up a plane. The game is focused more on the real aspects of naval warfare so it's not about aiming with a mouse like an arcade game, it's about being using sonar, radar etc.

At first glance it's very difficult and probably scares a lot of casual gamers off, but once you read  the manual it's fun and relaxing, I recommend it.

#2: Re: Dangerous Waters Naval Combat Sim Author: crowleyhammer PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:34 pm
    —
This is definitely on my list of "to get" games, its just unfortunate that list is so long and then coupled with the "to play" list!

#3: Re: Dangerous Waters Naval Combat Sim Author: Therion PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:47 pm
    —
Is it something like the old Carrier Command?

#4: Re: Dangerous Waters Naval Combat Sim Author: isdthrawn PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:08 pm
    —
I picked up the game but never got around to emerging myself into it. You're right, It's pretty daunting! The training videos alone make me think I could have an easier time in the real thing! But it's also hard to bring myself to reading the manual. 500+ pages in pdf. I've heard that you can order a printable copy for about 20 bucks, But I don't think its available anymore  Sad

#5: Re: Dangerous Waters Naval Combat Sim Author: ograndoLocation: Treviso - Italy PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:37 am
    —
Top of naval's simulators

- Dangerous Water - modern Naval Warfare focused on sub operation; you can command sub, ship, helo and airplane; advice two mod: AT3 (with new italian, russian, american, english,chinese,... unit) and Reinforce Alert mod (with new units, most simulation feature, nuke ammo,...) - For these mod and varius guides look at www.subsim.com

- Silent Hunter 3 + GWX3 mod - WW2 submarine simulation; you command german u-boot; essential GWX3 mod (3Gb mod!), becomes another game. For mod look at subsim.com.

- Harpoon series (Matrix Games, like CC) - obsolete graphic (the last two of the series was released on 2008), but the top of naval warfare simulation.

#6: Re: Dangerous Waters Naval Combat Sim Author: Therion PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:31 pm
    —
isdthrawn wrote (View Post):
I picked up the game but never got around to emerging myself into it. You're right, It's pretty daunting! The training videos alone make me think I could have an easier time in the real thing! But it's also hard to bring myself to reading the manual. 500+ pages in pdf. I've heard that you can order a printable copy for about 20 bucks, But I don't think its available anymore  Sad

It seems to be still available. I have thought about buying it but the cost of shipping to Europe is almost as big as the cost of the book itself.
Judging by the page scans on their site, it would be better to print the pdf it on a laser printer.
Anyway, I like its system requirements, I'm downloading a demo to see if it is working on Wine.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1