CCMT AI, How Stoopid is it?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Modern Tactics

#1: CCMT AI, How Stoopid is it? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:23 am
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Does the AI only crawl toward an objective? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:39 am
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total

#3: Re: CCMT AI, How Stoopid is it? Author: Therion PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:25 pm
    —
Yes, the AI can run it's troops. Then they will enter the crawl of death when under fire. They may execute something similar to bounding overwatch, which doesn't really matter because the AI is broken.

The point of bounding overwatch is that the other teams should provide immediate suppression fires when they get under fire. The AI can't do this unless the troops see the enemy soldiers and it has nothing to do with whenever it's stupid or not.

Anyway, I have decided to examine the AI behaviour too after reading your post.

There's one thing that I've learned - I always thought that the AI decides the position of its troops basing on cover, protection, VLs, etc.
I have never thought that it may actually leave them scattered around like it does for the player. I've done some testing and it turned out that it does.

UO0007.jpg
 Description:
Deployment of the defenders. They have deployed outside trenches.rnThe AI deploys in the same way and crawls out of the trenches as in the last screenshot.
 Filesize:  444.54 KB
 Viewed:  4618 Time(s)

UO0007.jpg

UO0009.jpg
 Description:
Deployment of the attacking forces. The AI gets the same deployment and proceeds to crawl north.
 Filesize:  319.95 KB

UO0009.jpg

UO0013.jpg
 Description:
The black box marks where the fire is coming from. Enemy troops moved into open field instead of moving into trenches. The AI wouldn't be able to fire back when attacking this position because the defender is not visible.
 Filesize:  505.32 KB

UO0013.jpg

#4: Does the AI ever consolidate a deployment? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:44 pm
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

#5: Does the AI abandon structures for less desireable terrain? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:14 am
    —
OF course NOT Exclamation The AI may be stoopid, but it loves to hide in structures, especially big shiney ones.

In the pic sequence below, the AI (OPFOR) has correctly identified the tin warehouse just east of the stream as the key stronghold to its position. Therefore, during initial deployment it tries to cram most of its force into this building. There are so many squads inside it looks like Shriners convention.

But, is this good tactics? Not really, it lets my kids lob grenades from the Humvees into the structure with the expected results. Later, some squads move out to capture the objective near the dam, but plenty of squads remain.

#6: Re: CCMT AI, How Stoopid is it? Author: Therion PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:54 pm
    —
What's the deal with the text formatting? Idea  Exclamation  Question

#7: The AI can never win an engagement, right? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:03 pm
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:00 am; edited 1 time in total

#8: Can the AI properly defend a large map? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 7:33 am
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total

#9: Re: CCMT AI, How Stoopid is it? Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:06 am
    —
If you want AI to defend you are better off at not giving the human player any victory locations as it will tend to attack them.

In depth defence is good but only works if the forces can be mutually supporting or enable a counter attack/flanking manoeuvre. AI tends to spread itself thinly without being mutually supporting and rarely attempts to flank you. As a human player the more the AI is spread out the better, as far as I am concerned, as it allows you to concentrate your forces and role them up one by one. That is not to say I don't get a few ugly surprises. :roll:

Using hidden victory locations you can get a better game against AI when you place them in slightly unexpected locations.

#10: Re: CCMT AI, How Stoopid is it? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:14 am
    —
Arrow

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Modern Tactics

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1