War Movies
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:12 pm
    —
Inglorious Basterds... Any good? I am downloading it now, expecting some sort of arcadish castle wolfenstien type movie...

#2: Re: War Movies Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:23 pm
    —
isn't it 'inglourious bastards'?  Laughing

#3: Re: War Movies Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:42 pm
    —
I havent seen it yet.

Not a war movie but I did go see Gamers last night,I thought it was pretty cool.

#4: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:26 am
    —
Well I didnt like it....... There wasn't much Nazi Killin' as the hype made it out to be. At first it reminded me of Kelly's Hero's...... then after awhile I just got kind of bored with it. There were no subtitles and 1/2 the movie was either French, German and some Italian. Anyways, its a total fantasy movie, don't believe any, "based on an actual group of jews" bs or anything like that..

#5: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:50 pm
    —
I bought these couple of weeks ago:
- The Admiral
- The Wind That Shakes the Barley
- Intimate Enemies
- Glory
- La Grande Illusion

Europeans, check out their prices from Play.com.
Pretty reasonable prices.

#6: Re: War Movies Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:32 pm
    —
AAAhhh Kellys Heroes... I love that film. Not watched it in ages. Time to dig it out Very Happy

Got a few classics (though ones I seem to have avoided seeing for some reason) the other day for cheap, Apocalypse Now, Hamburger Hill, All quiet on the western front.

#7: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:49 pm
    —
HawkerHart wrote (View Post):
AAAhhh Kellys Heroes... I love that film. Not watched it in ages. Time to dig it out Very Happy

Got a few classics (though ones I seem to have avoided seeing for some reason) the other day for cheap, Apocalypse Now, Hamburger Hill, All quiet on the western front.

Kellys Heroes rocks!
Very Happy It´s awesome (for comedy).

Western Front, I prefer the old version made in the 30´s I guess. Have them both on DVD. Good movies.
What about Paths of Glory? Great movie. French should do a revisited version of it.

#8: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:53 pm
    —
I´m drinking some aussie red wine now and decided to make a list of all war movies I own on DVD.

USA:
- Platoon
- Casualties of War
- Full Metal Jacket
- Iwo Jima
- Flags of Our Fathers
- All Quiet on Western Front (both)
- Enemy at the Gates
- Paths of Glory
- Glory
- Pianist

Germany:
- Der Untergang
- Stalingrad
- Das Boot

SU/Russia:
- The Admiral
- The Star
- Come And See
- 9th Company

Finland:
- Winter War
- Unknown Soldier (both)
- Under the North Star

Italia:
- Battle of Algiers

France:
- Intimate Enemies
- Very Long Engagement
- La Grande Illusion

Australia:
- Gallipoli

Ireland:
- The Wind That Shakes the Barley

China:
- Assembly

South Korea:
- Brotherhood of War

And Tota Tora Tora

#9: Re: War Movies Author: Tonio50 PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:06 am
    —
The Thin Red Line.....one of the best ever

#10: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:49 am
    —
Hey, kelly's heroes is a really good film, I love it, very fun movie and also a realistic belic film. Dont forget another classic: The iron cross Where Clint Eastwood was Sgt. Steiner on the axis side fighting at Crimea against the USSR. Das boot it's nice too, as Platoon. But none of theese movies it's funny such as Kelly's Heroes.

#11: Re: War Movies Author: ErwinSp PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:38 pm
    —
Essential movies for me:

The Iron Cross

Das Boot

Save Private Ryan

Stalingrad

The Battleship Potemkin (avoiding political valorations).

Raza (Spanish civil war movie, very interesting to understand the ideary of Dictactor General Franco in Spain avoiding political valorations too).

#12: Re: War Movies Author: yuma PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:06 pm
    —
McHara wrote (View Post):
Hey, kelly's heroes is a really good film, I love it, very fun movie and also a realistic belic film. Dont forget another classic: The iron cross Where Clint Eastwood was Sgt. Steiner on the axis side fighting at Crimea against the USSR. Das boot it's nice too, as Platoon. But none of theese movies it's funny such as Kelly's Heroes.

that was Richard Burton not Clint Eastwood

#13: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:38 pm
    —
yuma wrote (View Post):

that was Richard Burton not Clint Eastwood

It's true, wasn't Clint Easwod. Really it was James Coburn no R. Burton
And the name of the english version is't iron cross, it's "Cross of Iron"
Cross of Iron begining and main song

#14: Re: War Movies Author: yuma PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:35 pm
    —
ahhh ok...there was another movie called Iron Cross with Richard Burton as the sergeant
set in Italy I think....

#15: Re: War Movies Author: yuma PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:41 pm
    —
which I see the name has been changed to "breakthrough" when it was re-released

#16: Re: War Movies Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:08 pm
    —
Gung Ho!

Robert Mitchum as "Pig Iron"

Pocket mod Forum! Wink

#17: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:42 pm
    —
Ordered these today:
- A Bridge Too Far
- The Great Escape
- Battle Of Britain
- Empire Of The Sun
- Hidden Agenda
- Kokoda
- Zulu

#18: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:53 pm
    —
Empire of the Sun is one of my all time favorites. It's about a young boy growing up & lost in the Japanese internment camps. Like a coming of age story. I watched it as a boy and even then many of my interests were in WW2 history so this movie was perfect for me. When my son gets older I plan on showing him this film.

The young boy is Christian Bale, directed by Steven Speilberg. If you have not see it, go do it now! Heart wrenching ended.

#19: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:00 pm
    —
Yeah have seen it.
I only buy movies I have seen and think are worth buying.

#20: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:10 am
    —
I think that you're focused on infantry war movies. There's a good film about the crew of a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, I've found it online and going to see right now. The film may be know by many of you, It's called "The Memphis Belle".

#21: Re: War Movies Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:03 pm
    —
cross of iron
stalingrad
platoon
hamburger hill
84 charlie mopic (nice viewing of LRRP)
all quite on the WF (especially the original)  Razz
tears of the sun (Nice demonstration of cqb drills)
blackhawk down (nice as instruction video during MOUT, especially what went wrong  Confused )
band of brothers
apocalypse now

#22: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 pm
    —
Of course its different when you have been "over there".
Seen a lot of real combat stuff on net.
But its not entertaining as the fictional one.

#23: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Empire of the Sun is one of my all time favorites. It's about a young boy growing up & lost in the Japanese internment camps. Like a coming of age story. I watched it as a boy and even then many of my interests were in WW2 history so this movie was perfect for me. When my son gets older I plan on showing him this film.

You like to see japs as bad boys, right?

I think that you're focused on infantry war movies. There's a good film about the crew of a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, I've found it online and going to see right now. The film may be know by many of you, It's called "The Memphis Belle".

Bombers and artillery destroys, grunts conquer.
They do the ugly work.

Dark Blue World looks really good. Czech made WWII movie about a Czech pilot in RAF.

#24: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:32 pm
    —
What is benefits for downloading a movie?
You get the right subtitles (atleast english ones).
I got Kokoda on DVD, and I have no idea what those guys are talking.

#25: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:03 pm
    —
Tippi-Simo wrote (View Post):

Bombers and artillery destroys, grunts conquer.
They do the ugly work.

Perhaps you think as Lt. Rico from Starship Troopers : " The air force strolls while the infantry fights"
But don't forget that the bombers must arrive to the objective before droping their bombs. It wasn't easy for the Flying Fortresses to survive at the flack and fockewulf attacks on their way also the fighters had less fuel and could only scort them on short distances above the enemy lines. In WW2 many of the US losses were on the sky.

#26: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 pm
    —
Without the "Flying Fortress" and the "Liberators" droping bombs over the axis industry, hitler's war machine would have never been shooted down. Besides the blitzkrieg was based not only on tanks also on stuka bombers. I think now that planes fly at match X speeds the "dog fight" of WW (I and II) it's impossible, but it was a really nice duel on the European sky. Its incredible, for example, how the RAF Spitfires had to stop de V-2 missiles by reaching the same speed of the rocket and desestabilizing them by rubing with their wings.

#27: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 pm
    —
Its incredible, for example, how the RAF Spitfires had to stop de V-2 missiles by reaching the same speed of the rocket and desestabilizing them by rubing with their wings.

correction: Those were the V-1, the V-2 were too fast for any allied fighter.

#28: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 pm
    —
Without the "Flying Fortress" and the "Liberators" droping bombs over the axis industry, hitler's war machine would have never been shooted down. Besides the blitzkrieg was based not only on tanks also on stuka bombers. I think now that planes fly at match X speeds the "dog fight" of WW (I and II) it's impossible, but it was a really nice duel on the European sky. Its incredible, for example, how the RAF Spitfires had to stop de V-2 missiles by reaching the same speed of the rocket and desestabilizing them by rubing with their wings.

What about RAF? Ever heard about Avro Lancaster?

V-1&V-2 were totally useless, Allies exaggerated their usefulness.

#29: Re: War Movies Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:56 pm
    —
The V weapons may have been less than perfect as a "destuctive" weapon but I think they were far more successful as a psycological weapon. Prehaps the ww2 version of the I.E.D.

And yes, please don't forget that whilst the USAAF headed out over occupied Europe day after day the RAF did it night after night. And although Bomber Commands war may now be much maligned, the young crews were in no less danger and showed the utmost bravery. And just as with all the other branches of all the armed forces, many thousands never returned.

#30: Re: War Movies Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:35 am
    —
What about ZULU!

Based on Rourkes Drift

Talk about impossible victorys

From memory 11 Victoria Crosses

#31: Re: War Movies Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 am
    —
A great film. Just wish I'd been able to see it at the cinema. I'm sure those massive landscapes would have looked amazing on the big screen.

#32: Re: War Movies Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
    —
3 must see:

Saving Private Ryan - especially the last sequence when U.S. dug-in against heavy German armoured assault, that was amazing how real the directors made it seem

A Bridge Too Far - probably the best cast of actors ever assembled for any movie...period.  Lots of authentic warbirds in action too.

The Longest Day - John Wayne at his best

#33: Re: War Movies Author: Therion PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:35 am
    —

Yeah, Memphis Belle was awesome Very Happy .

I've watched We Were the Soldiers the other day. It's my favourite war movie. It doesn't show crazy people and war atrocities, but at the same time manages to be the most horrifying Vietnam movie that I've seen. Mainly due to excellent special effects and excellent acting.

#34: Re: War Movies Author: Zturm PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:47 am
    —
Inglorious Basterds is a great movie, but like Apocalypse Now, it isn't a war movie per se. IB is a Tarantino movie spoken in three languages, with LOTS of violence, stylish violence if you ask me  Wink . But it's basically a Tarantino movie, with mexican standoff included, a female badass, and the topic of killing for fun flying around the whole movie. Very entertaining, i hadn't had so much fun in the cinema in many years until i saw this movie. But it isn't a war movie. It feels more like a cold war movie but it happens in a WW2 period.

#35: Re: War Movies Author: iDot PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:28 am
    —
Hey Mooxe according to an interview I watched with regards to Inglourious bastards. Tarintino has always said this was fiction and was not historically accurate.

#36: Re: War Movies Author: RD_TG_JagerLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:48 pm
    —
Iron Cross is great set on the eastern front....Stalingrad is great and also....Winter War

In 1943, in the Russian front, the decorated leader Rolf Steiner is promoted to Sergeant after another successful mission. Meanwhile the upper-class and arrogant Prussian Captain Hauptmann Stransky is assigned as the new commander of his squad. After a bloody battle of Steiner's squad against the Russian troops led by the brave Lieutenant Meyer that dies in the combat, the coward Stransky claims that he led his squad against the Russian and requests to be awarded with the Iron of Cross to satisfy his personal ambition together with his aristocratic family. Stransky gives the names of Steiner and of the homosexual Lieutenant Triebig as witnesses of his accomplishment, but Steiner, who has problems with the chain of command in the army and with the arrogance of Stransky, refuses to participate in the fraud. When Colonel Brandt gives the order to leave the position in the front, Stransky does not retransmit the order to Steiner's squad, and they are left alone surrounded by the enemy and having to fight to survive. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

A squad of German soldiers fighting on the Eastern Front during WWII led by a battle-hardened sergeant fight to survive Soviet attacks and dogmatic commanders in a chaotic and lethal environment in this sympathetic portrayal of another side of the war not commonly portrayed in Hollywood film. Written by Keith Loh {loh@sfu.ca}

The film opens with a squad of seasoned German soldiers, led by a disillusioned but skilled sergeant, on a patrol on the Russian front in WWII. They return to base to find a new commander, a traditional Prussian officer who wants only one thing from his command - An Iron Cross to maintain his family honor. The scene is set for a graphic portrayal of the horrors of war and of the conflict between two men of differing

#37: Re: War Movies Author: Infidel PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:55 am
    —
Wow, I can't believe people enjoyed Inglourious at all, I found it utterly crap.  Tarantino has lost it, Jackie Brown was his last film of any quality, and along with Pulp Fiction and Res' Dogs those are the only 3 worth watching.  Reason; Scripts.  I can't remember a single memorable line in Inglourious, however Pulp Fiction etc... every single line is memorable.  

Lots of violence?  I can't remember any of that in IB either... just talking and boredom.

Iron Cross as described by tgierut would be a much better film to watch, I can verify that, it's an absolute classic.

#38: Re: War Movies Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 am
    —
Hey Tippi-Simmo

There is a thing over here at the moment  called the Piaf Film Season

One of the movies in it is Finnish, called Max Mannus

Says he was a guerilla fighter against the Nazis.

It says " A charming rogue who led some of the most spectacular attacks on the Nazi war machine"

The film apparently is pretty good, a 3 1/2 stars out of 5 from a non war lover

Have you seen it? If so, what are your comments

#39: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 am
    —
He was Norwegian, volunteered to the Winter War.

Have not seen the movie.

#40: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 am
    —
And didn't know there was a film about him.
I will watch it.
Thanks for the info.

#41: Re: War Movies Author: diggin.robatLocation: Land of the krauts PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:41 pm
    —
A new WWI-Movie is comming up on ANZAC-Day in a few days:

This time it´s about the miners at Hill 60 (Messines Ridge 1917):

http://www.beneathhill60.com.au/

Trailer is looking quite good, but nothing breathtaking. Why ist there always a female character in recent WWI-Movies?

diggin

#42: Re: War Movies Author: diggin.robatLocation: Land of the krauts PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:48 pm
    —
diggin.robat wrote (View Post):

Trailer is looking quite good, but nothing breathtaking. Why ist there always a female character in recent WWI-Movies?

diggin

oops! Not Anzac Day but 15th April!

#43: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:57 pm
    —

diggin

Did you ever see Passchendaele? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092082/

Hopefully this new home grown WW1 movie will be good. Passchendaele sucked arse, its got a 6.9/10 on IMDB due to Canadian patriotism.

#44: Re: War Movies Author: diggin.robatLocation: Land of the krauts PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:28 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

diggin

Did you ever see Passchendaele? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1092082/

Hopefully this new home grown WW1 movie will be good. Passchendaele sucked arse, its got a 6.9/10 on IMDB due to Canadian patriotism.

Have seen parts of Passchendaele at Youtube. Well, yes, I understand the feelings of former british colonies, which had to wade through blood and mud until 1918 to produce national identity - sorry for the simplicy.
The plot of belle-epoque-family-home-atmosphere far away from war in contrast to the  eye deep hell of western front seems to be a winning one. So pretty females are a must as well as displays of teutonic battle fury. Battlescences are just fullfilling common idea about WWI-warfare and are ony to illustrate the hellish opposite (war torn old europe?) of the tidy home, far away.

If only Peter Jackson would follow his WWI interest would make a movie with at least impressive fotography: Crossing the Line

I personally doubt that we would see a new WWI-movie as accurate and intriguing as original "All quite on the Western Front" from 1929/30.

#45: Re: War Movies Author: Therion PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:07 pm
    —
Tippi-Simo wrote (View Post):
And pretty good review about Inglorious Basterds:

Link

Butthurt detected.

#46: Re: War Movies Author: Kevin92 PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 9:33 pm
    —
interesting to hear sum of u guys are watching 'the wind that shakes the barley'.i didnt know it was that popular outside ireland..very good movie though, especialy if u understand the history and context its set in.however it is quite biased and anti-british and could easily be mis-interpreted...if your interested in irish history of the same period id advise watching 'michael collins', not as good as 'the wind that shakes the barley' but still a decent watch except for julia roberts disasterous irish accent!!

#47: Re: War Movies Author: vonB PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 11:01 pm
    —
Love Kelly's Heroes, but it's not a War Film, but a Bank Heist.  Donald Sutherland (Oddball makes that filem).

Cross of Iron.  Great war film.  Nothing Hollywood in it.  Worth it just for that bit at the end where Stransky turns to Steiner saying he doesn't know how to reload his MP40 in the midst of all the shite flying around, and Steinder roaring with laughter.  Classic.

There are a lot of good War Films outside of the Hollywood fantasy portrayals (though they did make one or 2 excellent ones).  Not all of them filmed from the point of view of military combat (Schindler's List for example).

On the other hand, for those that go back far enough, there are the classic British productions such as Norman Wisdom in The Night they Dropped the Clanger.  A bit silly really, but had me fascinated as a boy.  633 Squadron, the Dam Busters...

Band of Brothers is superb as a close up and personal account of war at the time.  Again, not a drop of Hollywood in sight.  Then there's not much more gut renching than the opening of Saving Private Ryan.  Even though I knew what was coming, it took my breath away.

#48: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 1:18 am
    —
Empire of The Sun was thee single best war movie I watched as a child. I hope my son will will love it to when he's old enough.

#49: Re: War Movies Author: ArmeeGruppeSud PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 4:16 am
    —
Hi war movie buffs

1st, i'd like to mention some cool war movies so far unmentioned

"CATCH 22" is truly a classic war movie, with many memorable moments, particularly the man on the raft (ouch).
The Audy Murphy biography (cant remember its name)
"BEAST OF WAR" a story about a Russian tank crew in lost in Afganistan pursued by Mujahadin (GREAT Movie)
"Murphies War" something a little different   Wink

My personal collection contains:
Apocalypse Now
Band of Brothers (box set)
Battle of Britain (great movie)
Bridge Too Far
Cross of Iron
Enemy at the gates
Jarhead (Iraq)
MacArthur (biography, i only got this coz i t came it a 2pack with MIDWAY)
Midway (an excellent movie for its time)
Patton (a Hollywood biography, i only got this coz i t came it a 3pack with TTT & TLD)
Platoon
Saving Private Ryan
The Longest Day (old DDay movie)
Thin Red Line
Tora Tora Tora (still the best Pearl Harbour movie)

Some of my previously unmentioned favourites are:

"Alls quiet on the Wewstern Front"
"Blue Max" (WW1 fighter ace movie)
"Bridge on the river Kwai"
"charlie mopic "
"Dam Busters"
"Das Boot" (german)
"Full Metal Jacket"
"Hamburger Hill"
"Iwo Jima"
"Memphis Belle" (great bomber movie)
"Stalingrad" (geman)
"The Lost battalion" (WW1 movie)

@ Tippi-Simo
1st, i think "Enemy at the gates" is a British movie, not US, because of the wide range of English/British accents Wink
2nd, i have not seen any of the Italian, French, Finish or Russian movies you have listed  Sad
When i was a child i did see a subtitled Russian movie about the battle of Kursk, given the English title "One million men, 20,000 tanks!"
Have never heard of it since, i would love to see it again

P.S. Therion has that quote wrong, it should be: "Bombing for Peace, is like, Fucking for Virginity!"

#50: Re: War Movies Author: Infidel PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:29 am
    —
ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):
Hi war movie buffs...

"BEAST OF WAR" a story about a Russian tank crew in lost in Afganistan pursued by Mujahadin (GREAT Movie)

This is a very good shout.  A gripping film.  I just wanted to second this shout and also just make note, the English and American title for this is simply "The Beast", so if you plan on looking into it (it's worth doing so) be aware of that fact.   Mr. Green

#51: Re: War Movies Author: Infidel PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:31 am
    —
Oh and, I saw The Hurt Locker the other day, really brilliant!  Well worth checking out.

#52: Re: War Movies Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:23 pm
    —
" the wind that shakes the barley" wow! very powerful and emotionial film, as a true Englishman i almost cried with shame on this one Embarassed  but i suppose all  countries have a past they would like to forget?
most enjoyable film
where eagles dare - good old fashioned war film
"a bridge too far"  for simple fact a good friend of mine father was awarded the MC at arnham for a bayonett charge etc  ( google  Major Geoffrey Powell)
as for "the hurt locker" - sorry guys don't see all the fuss about this one?????????

#53: Re: War Movies Author: Infidel PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:26 pm
    —
Well I found the ending brilliant.  When asked why he acts the way he does he has no answers, and then signs up for another tour leaving his wife and kid at home.  "360 days left" etc.  Great way to end it.

#54: Re: War Movies Author: ArmeeGruppeSud PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:22 pm
    —
Just to mention some blasts from the past

12 O'Clock High (1949) Gregory Peck's film launched the TV series
 Battleground (1949) 1st Battle of the Bulge movie
 From here to eternity (1953) 1st Pearl Harbor movie
 The eagle has landed (1976 not a moon landing)

Also, U-571 (2000) was not too bad, though its 'H' rating is for 'Hollywood', not 'Historical'

Based on this American/Hollywood view that America, single handedly defeated both Germany, and Japan in WW2, Hollywood could make a series of WW2 movies:

KURSK Where General Patton and his legions of M4s defeat Manstein (not Zhukov and the t34s)

BISMARK, where the Bismark is sunk by aircraft from theYorktown after having decimated the British fleet.

EL ALAMAIN yet another US victory over the Germans

KOKODA, Where US troops drive the japs back from Port Moresby

STALINGRAD, Where US tropps liberate the city from the Germans

WOOHOO!!!

go Yanks!!

oh, sorry about that, it just gets up my nose  Wink

#55: Re: War Movies Author: Infidel PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:26 pm
    —
ArmeeGruppeSud wrote (View Post):
oh, sorry about that, it just gets up my nose  Wink

Not the only one Very Happy

Everyone now...

"It's a long wayyyy, to Tipperary...!"

#56: Re: War Movies Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:41 pm
    —
In order to avoid repetition let me just throw in a few that weren't mentioned so far:

- Objective: Burma! (Errol Flynn)
- Command Decision (Clark Gable)
- Run Silent, Run Deep (Clark Gable)
- The Enemy Below (R. Mitchum, C.Jürgens)
- When The Trumpets Fade (Ron Eldard)
- Play Dirty (Michael Caine)
- They Were Expendable (John Wayne, Robert Montgomery)
- Hell in the Pacific (Lee Marvin, Toshiro Mifune)
- The Hero Too Late (M.Caine, C.Robertson)
- Battle of Neretva (Everybody Smile )
- Rough Riders (T. Berenger, S.Elliott, G.Busey)
- Taxi to Tobruk (Hardy Krüger)
- The Longest Day (Everybody)

#57: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:52 pm
    —
Thanks for your lists AGS & Kawasaky.
There is something on your lists that I have not seen.

#58: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2010 3:01 pm
    —
So got my own copy of Triumph Des Willens couple of days ago.
Dont know if it is smart to pay for open source films but now I have it on DVD plus a 16 page booklet  Question

If you have not seen it watch it here  Arrow
http://www.archive.org/details/TriumphOfTheWillgermanTriumphDesWillens

It is about NSDAP 1934 Congress in Nuremberg directed by admired Leni Riefenstahl.

#59: Re: War Movies Author: BordicLocation: Gothic Line, Italy PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:40 pm
    —
What about:

Where Eagles Dare
The Dirty Dozen

and more serious:

Paisa'

#60: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:45 am
    —
Just watched Paths of Glory. Excellent!

#61: Re: War Movies Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:22 pm
    —
Recently watched 'Tali Ihantala 1944 - The Battle of Finland' ("free-hand" translation of the title, don't know if it have an official English title...)

The previous film I've seen by Åke Lindman was engaging and well-done, but this was only a realistic and beautiful mess!! I couldn't follow the plot, or the characters, and all I got was a over-all perspective of what happened... Really sad I must say.

Have 'We were soldiers' and 'Brotherhood of War' lying around for a dark and rainy night; -My hopes lays with 'Brotherhood', but I have to wait and see.

#62: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:36 pm
    —
Today i've watched the new Russian/Belorus war movie, called "Brestskaya Krepost" (The Brest fortress). I must say i was shocked, i believe that is the best Russian war movie for at least last 20 years.

The official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yKGsI5bwQ

#63: Re: War Movies Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 pm
    —
Thanks Dima,

The trailer does look good!

#64: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm
    —
Hmm, I´m a fan of foreign movies.
But this one looks too much Hollywood made movie, I hope that I´m wrong.
Looked like a typical movie an American would like to see.

#65: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:58 pm
    —
7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):
Recently watched 'Tali Ihantala 1944 - The Battle of Finland' ("free-hand" translation of the title, don't know if it have an official English title...)

Tried to watch this one. Seemed more of a history lesson than a film. I ended up fast forwarding to all the battle seens, and they were well done.

#66: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 am
    —
Quote:

you are wrong indeed, your favorite "9th Company" crap is Hollywood-style Smile.

Quote:
Looked like a typical movie an American would like to see

That's a war drama based on historical facts that happend in Brest fortress in the first week of the German attack on USSR. It shows how the war started for the garrison and their families, sudden and brutal. The Germans are shown not cruel or stupid but strong and merciless, doing their job to clear the fortress fast and with as little casualties as possible.
Alot of women were crying in the cinema, including my wife, and some men were sobing too Smile.

#67: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:

you are wrong indeed, your favorite "9th Company" crap is Hollywood-style Smile.

9th Company is indeed a good movie, but my favorite? Njet.

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
Looked like a typical movie an American would like to see

That's a war drama based on historical facts that happend in Brest fortress in the first week of the German attack on USSR. It shows how the war started for the garrison and their families, sudden and brutal. The Germans are shown not cruel or stupid but strong and merciless, doing their job to clear the fortress fast and with as little casualties as possible.
Alot of women were crying in the cinema, including my wife, and some men were sobing too Smile.

I don´t believe before I see it.

So when is the cake in the oven?

#68: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 am
    —
Quote:
9th Company is indeed a good movie,

ahistorical and unrealistic crap Smile.

#69: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:31 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
9th Company is indeed a good movie,

ahistorical and unrealistic crap Smile.

It´s movie, entertainment, not a documentary.
And my opinion is that it does its work very well, that´s all I care.

#70: Re: War Movies Author: tedy28 PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:26 pm
    —
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umb5662aOKE&feature=fvw
good movie

#71: Re: War Movies Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:49 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):

Tried to watch this one. Seemed more of a history lesson than a film. I ended up fast forwarding to all the battle seens, and they were well done.

You said it Mooxe!! I couldn't place my feeling, but this movie is like something you would watch during a history lesson.  Shocked

And I can only agree on the battle scenes, they are well done. But there is something that bothers me with the Russian KV's; -They don't look right, but I don't know what I react on with them..?

#72: Re: War Movies Author: sample PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am
    —
speaking about war movies, i found this user question on "downfall/der untergang" imdb discussions board:

"Was It Over When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor??"

#73: Re: War Movies Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 am
    —
sample wrote (View Post):
speaking about war movies, i found this user question on "downfall/der untergang" imdb discussions board:

"Was It Over When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor??"

Haven't you heard of the German carrier-fleet?
-Oh wait, was that history or the last time I played Hearts of Iron II?  Razz

Seriously speaking, and a bit of topic; -the level of stupidity regarding history and common knowledge scares me sometimes.
I have two, relatively bright, teenage daughters, but every week I have to play this charade where I ask God what I've done wrong since he punish me with such stupid kids? (top 1 ever; -We live in Sweden and she asks "what was ABBA?")

And it's not only my kids! 26 years ago my history teacher said: "In the beginning of WW I, the German offensive was stopped by the Maginot line and that's why the war bogged down in four years of trench-warfare." (We never really got along after I asked her how they could built it in -16 years...) A few weeks ago my 16-year old came home from school and talked about how horrible it was when "...the English troops liberated Auswitch...", 'cause that's what her history teacher had said! (God damn! Those Tommies advanced far to long to the east!) And since I've brought some knowledge and interest to her, she had questioned her teachers claim and said that it wasn't English uniforms in the documentary they saw; -but he only said, "oh yes, it was English troops. Their uniforms looked like that!"  Rolling Eyes

#74: Re: War Movies Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:58 am
    —
anybody watched this classic war movies??

-The Battle of the Bulge
-Midway
-Hell is for Heroes
-A Bridge Too Far
-Battle of Britain
-None But The Brave
-King Rat
-Von Ryan's Express
-The Bridge at Remagen
-633 Squadron
-The Longest Day
-The Dirty Dozen
-The Green Berets
-The Sand Pebbles
-The Great Escape
-Hanover Street
-Escape to Athena
-Force 10 From Navarone
-The Guns of Navarone
-The Eagle Has Landed
-Raid on Rommel
-The Wild Geese
-Tora! Tora! Tora!
-Kelley's Heroes
-Patton
-The Deer Hunter
-Apocalypse Now

well.....if any else of you haven't, go to www.letmewatchthis.ch and type any of these movies......

#75: Re: War Movies Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:01 pm
    —
Memphis Belle
The Enemy Below
and Where Eagles Dare

i forgot to mention these too......very good classics

#76: Re: War Movies Author: Therion PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:00 pm
    —
Rampage by Uwe Boll. Great war movie.

#77: Re: War Movies Author: Zep PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 am
    —
Here are a few more that were not mentioned Surprised
Attack
Pork Chop Hill
Battleground
Defiance
Immortal Sergeant
Decision Before Dawn
Attack Force Z
Anzio
Halls Of Montezuma
Night Of The Generals
Operation Daybreak
The Desert Fox
The Desert Rats
Midway
Lion Of The Desert
The Young Lions
We Were Soldiers
Come And See
The Pacific-Box Set
In Harms Way
The Bridges At Toko-Ri
Were Eagles Dare

#78: Re: War Movies Author: FFL_KklinkkLocation: Austin, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:27 pm
    —
One serie I haven't seen mentionned (could have miss it) but I really liked was: Tour of Duty (season 1)

#79: Re: War Movies Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 am
    —
yeah!!! TOUR OF DUTY

me and my dad's favorite tv show about the vietnam war......

a story of a platoon......in the midst of the war....

#80: Re: War Movies Author: CinCUKHQ PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:49 pm
    —
I just got a film called pathfinders, I belive its about 82nd airbourne on 5/6 June 44. looks alright but will let you know how it gose.

#81: Re: War Movies Author: CinCUKHQ PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 7:13 pm
    —
Ref,my above post.

Not the best film in the world, its ok for a rainy sunday like today

#82: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:54 pm
    —
Dneprovskiy Defence Line

Link

Dneprovskiy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.39 KB
 Viewed:  11682 Time(s)

Dneprovskiy.jpg

#83: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:06 pm
    —
The Brest Fortress (2010)

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total

brestf.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.81 KB
 Viewed:  11680 Time(s)

brestf.jpg

#84: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:32 pm
    —
Our Own

Link

OurOwn.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  55.91 KB
 Viewed:  11677 Time(s)

OurOwn.jpg

#85: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:12 pm
    —
Rhineland (2007)

Link

rhineland.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.72 KB
 Viewed:  11668 Time(s)

rhineland.jpg

#86: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:57 pm
    —
Ambush (1999)

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

Ambush.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.28 KB
 Viewed:  11662 Time(s)

Ambush.jpg

#87: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:12 am
    —
Stalingrad (1993)

Link

stalingrad-film.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  60.49 KB
 Viewed:  11631 Time(s)

stalingrad-film.jpg

#88: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 6:34 am
    —
Thin Red Line (1998)

Link

thin-red-line.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  24.4 KB

thin-red-line.jpg

#89: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:58 pm
    —
This is one of my favorite movies. If its playing on the History Channel I'll watch it anytime (like Braveheart). I can't remember many other Nick Nolte movies but in The Thin Red Line he does an amazing and unforgettable performance. He was so intense on the field.

If you like this type of movie, half war half emotion/psychosomething then you will probably like The Tree Of Life, its done by the same director and aparantly the same style of filming. I haven't seen it yet but I will as soon as I can...

#90: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:21 pm
    —
The Big Red One (1980)

Link

If you want to add this dvd to your collection make sure you get the Reconstruction Version.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Red_One

Last edited by US_Brake on Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:04 am; edited 1 time in total

Big_red_one_post.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.35 KB
 Viewed:  11613 Time(s)

Big_red_one_post.jpg

#91: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:05 pm
    —
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Metal_Jacket

full-metal-jacket.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.41 KB
 Viewed:  12459 Time(s)

full-metal-jacket.jpg

#92: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:20 pm
    —
All Quiet on the Western Front (1979)

Link

AllquietWF.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.4 KB
 Viewed:  12457 Time(s)

AllquietWF.jpg

#93: Re: War Movies Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:15 am
    —
US_Brake wrote (View Post):
Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Get Some! Get Some!

#94: Re: War Movies Author: CiggyLocation: Nelson PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:34 am
    —
today i acquired a dvd called "Assembly".
"makes letters from iwo jima look like a postcard" (total film magazine)

A weathered witness of war's insatiable appetite, Gu Zidi, Captain of the Ninth Company, will struggle his entire life to return honor to his forty six men and their self-sacrifice.
The year 1948 witnessed the launching of the Huaihai Campaign during the Chinese Civil War.
In one of Chinese history's deadliest battles, thousands from the People's Liberation Army (PLA) and the Nationalist Army (KMT) fell in the battle that took place between Xuzhou and Bengdu.
It was amid this bloody fight that Captain Gu Zidi led the Ninth Company infantry unit on a sniper mission.
His orders were to fight the KMT Army until the retreat assembly call was sounded....

highly recommended.
10 out of 10.

check out what IMDb say about it http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0881200/

#95: Re: War Movies Author: CiggyLocation: Nelson PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:40 am
    —
Assembly preview - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyvJVgLsQQY

#96: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:22 pm
    —
City of Life and Death

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

cityoflifeanddeath1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.81 KB
 Viewed:  12282 Time(s)

cityoflifeanddeath1.jpg

#97: Re: War Movies Author: Chetnik PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:49 am
    —
STALINGRAD

#98: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:34 pm
    —
Age of Heroes

Link

Link

ageofheroes1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.32 KB
 Viewed:  12284 Time(s)

ageofheroes1.jpg

#99: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:57 pm
    —
Beneath Hill 60

Link

beneathhill60a.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.88 KB
 Viewed:  12282 Time(s)

beneathhill60a.jpg

#100: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:12 pm
    —
Crossing The Line

Peter Jackson Short Film

Link

CrossingTheLine-01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.76 KB
 Viewed:  12280 Time(s)

CrossingTheLine-01.jpg

#101: Re: War Movies Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:26 am
    —
I saw Age of Heroes a while ago, could've and should've been a lot better, wouldn't recommend it. Horrible ending, too.

Watched Miracle at St. Anna yesterday,  a bit better, but not really sure about that one either. Too long, mediocre battle scenes, but I actually liked the supernatural theme to it and the rare portraying of black US soldiers, although they were not done justice I believe. One small scene which was memorable for me, was a prayer scene, where 3 nations in war do the same prayer for salvation, in three languages at the same time. Who is God gonna root for? Bless the US? Germany? Italy? Also, the Bandenbefehl sequence left a big impression, of course.

#102: Re: War Movies Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:39 pm
    —
Quik answer...

God is with those... who are with Him.

:)

Not so quick answer...

Story of a person who made 'peace' with God and enjoyed His sweet presence...

When one day that person said,  " I can't sense His presence!"  
*answer:  God didn't move.  He is still there.  You did.  (moved).

So ~~~ Move Back!  Wink !

#103: Re: War Movies Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:46 pm
    —
Finnish war film Ambush from 1999.

Link

#104: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 5:37 am
    —
I just watched The Flowers of War.

Link

"A Westerner finds refuge with a group of women in a church during Japan's rape of Nanking in 1937. Posing as a priest, he attempts to lead the women to safety."

Was a good movie. I found it intense in many scenes. Action scenes were very gruesome. I reccommend to anyone here.

Question about it though. The Chinese soldiers defending the city were wearing what looked like to be German helmets, they had stick grenades as well. Is this Hollywood or fact?

#105: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:01 am
    —
Hey Mooxe,

Yes, that's a historical fact - Germany was supplying weapons and equipment to China in mid 30s, including several Panzer I.

#106: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:43 am
    —
Battle of Hazebrouck

Link

#107: Re: War Movies Author: sample PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:57 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
The Chinese soldiers defending the city were wearing what looked like to be German helmets, they had stick grenades as well. Is this Hollywood or fact?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/88th_Division_%28National_Revolutionary_Army%29

the German-trained divisions the 87th and the 88th were the best units of Chinese Nationalist Army

m.

#108: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:26 pm
    —
Storming Juno - Official Trailer

Link

stormingjuno.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.54 KB
 Viewed:  11629 Time(s)

stormingjuno.jpg

#109: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 pm
    —
War Horse Trailer 2011( Official Trailer )

Link

warhorse.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  38.37 KB

warhorse.jpg

#110: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:44 pm
    —
Red Tails (2012) HD Movie Trailer - Lucasfilm Official Trailer

Link

red-tails-poster.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  36.46 KB
 Viewed:  11632 Time(s)

red-tails-poster.jpg

#111: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:46 pm
    —
71 Into the Fire

Link

71-into-the-fire.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.82 KB
 Viewed:  11576 Time(s)

71-into-the-fire.jpg

#112: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:12 am
    —
A Bridge Too Far (1977)

Link

bridgetoofar08.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  25.54 KB
 Viewed:  11562 Time(s)

bridgetoofar08.jpg

#113: Re: War Movies Author: Hostilian PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:42 pm
    —
Give Max Manus (Norweigan resistance WW2 film) a go..
Not a common one to see mentioned on this type of forum, though I'd give it 8.5/10..

#114: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:04 am
    —
Hostilian wrote (View Post):
Give Max Manus (Norweigan resistance WW2 film) a go..
Not a common one to see mentioned on this type of forum, though I'd give it 8.5/10..

I have seen the trailer. Still looking for a full version.

Max Manus: Man of War (2011)

Link

#115: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:04 am
    —

Trailer

Link

Das Boot: Directors Cut

Link

Das Boot English

Link

dasb.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.28 KB
 Viewed:  11538 Time(s)

dasb.jpg

#116: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:06 am
    —
The Winter War Talvisota

Link

winterwar1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.24 KB
 Viewed:  11516 Time(s)

winterwar1.jpg

winterwarcovernew.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  80.24 KB
 Viewed:  11516 Time(s)

winterwarcovernew.jpg

#117: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:44 am
    —
THE LOST BATTALION  (WW1)

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total

lostbatt.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.33 KB
 Viewed:  11495 Time(s)

lostbatt.jpg

#118: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:38 am
    —
Steiner das Eiserne Kreuz Film

Link

cross-of-iron--german-.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.84 KB
 Viewed:  11501 Time(s)

cross-of-iron--german-.jpg

#119: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:20 am
    —
Assault On The Pacific - Kamikaze

Link

Link

kamikaziassault1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  32.6 KB
 Viewed:  11498 Time(s)

kamikaziassault1.jpg

#120: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:16 am
    —
Windtalkers

Trailer

Last edited by US_Brake on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Windtalkers__2002.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  23.06 KB
 Viewed:  11494 Time(s)

Windtalkers__2002.jpg

#121: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:50 am
    —
Band of Brothers

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

bandofbro1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  41.87 KB
 Viewed:  12809 Time(s)

bandofbro1.jpg

#122: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:14 am
    —
The Pacific

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total

thepacificbobpost1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  65.22 KB
 Viewed:  12812 Time(s)

thepacificbobpost1.jpg

#123: Re: War Movies Author: Hostilian PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:00 pm
    —
"Flame and Citron."

Another slightly obscure title - this time about the Danish resistance.

(Not quite as good as Max Manus, but in the same vein - 7.5/10).

#124: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:22 am
    —
FLAME AND CITRON MOVIE TRAILER 480p (HD)

Link

Days of Glory

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total

indigenes.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  12.98 KB
 Viewed:  12773 Time(s)

indigenes.jpg

#125: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:30 am
    —
When Trumpets Fade

Link

whentrumpetsfade.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.43 KB
 Viewed:  12769 Time(s)

whentrumpetsfade.png

#126: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:35 am
    —
A Midnight Clear

Link

A Midnight Clear.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.9 KB
 Viewed:  12617 Time(s)

A Midnight Clear.jpg

#127: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:42 am
    —
Bravo Two Zero

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

bravotwozero.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.84 KB
 Viewed:  12615 Time(s)

bravotwozero.jpg

#128: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 am
    —
The Siege of Firebase Gloria

Link

Last edited by US_Brake on Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

The Siege of Firebase Gloria.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  7.62 KB
 Viewed:  12607 Time(s)

The Siege of Firebase Gloria.jpg

#129: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:58 am
    —
El Alamein - In the Line of Fire

Clip

Last edited by US_Brake on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

elalamein_cover.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.77 KB
 Viewed:  12611 Time(s)

elalamein_cover.gif

#130: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:06 am
    —
The Memphis Bell

http://youtu.be/SyOQCKPc8Ok

Last edited by US_Brake on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:51 am; edited 3 times in total

Memphis_belle_(1990).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.7 KB
 Viewed:  12593 Time(s)

Memphis_belle_(1990).jpg

#131: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:31 pm
    —
The Boys in Company C

Link

boyscompC.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  28.17 KB
 Viewed:  12573 Time(s)

boyscompC.jpg

#132: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:59 pm
    —
My Way (2011)

Trailer

Last edited by US_Brake on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

myway.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  20.09 KB
 Viewed:  12568 Time(s)

myway.jpg

#133: Re: War Movies Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:17 pm
    —
yes its old but it seems there were a lot of work to make it historical..

has anyone seen this?

http://ihffilm.com/22855.html

#134: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 4:35 pm
    —
I downloaded My Way. Very action packed war movie. Infact, the action was so over done, like a 1980s action flick movie on steroids, cocaine, x, bath salts etc etc. Like a typical overdone asian action movie, think of how unbelievable martial arts movies can be.

I did only skim through the movie. The guys were fighting Koreans, Russians and Americans (in Normandy). I have no idea how they made it to basically every front of WW2, I didnt care to find out either. The Normandy landing scene was pretty gamey... too much CGI and reminded me too much of computer games.

#135: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:12 am
    —
Fury - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2713180/

WW2 movie. Sherman tank crew embarks on a special mission.

Brad Pitt & Shia LaBeouf are in it. I am guessing there will be some comedy.

Could this be a remake of you know what?

fury.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  87.68 KB
 Viewed:  11340 Time(s)

fury.jpg

#136: Re: War Movies Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 1:10 am
    —
I has heard of this one before. Looks like Pitt and LaBeouf trained with the army for the role.

Lately I have seen a couple of foreign movies and some low budget ones.
The Bomber, about a soviet bomber shot down and the partisans, of course!
Into the White, about a German plane and a British one that are shot down in Norway and the crews have to live together. With Ron Weasley, pretty good.
Fortress, about a B-17 crew. Memphis Belle with low budget.
The Border, a Swedish movie about some border guards that raid Norway.

#137: Re: War Movies Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:28 pm
    —
Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter (Our Mothers, our Fathers)

A German three part series. A fictional story, has quite a lot of eastern front action.

Link

#138: Re: War Movies Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:38 pm
    —
A couple of days ago I watched "The Brest Fortress" (Brestskaya krepost), one of the best war films I have seen in a long time.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343703/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

[youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQGr-ogfKN8[/youtube]

#139: Re: War Movies Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:49 pm
    —
Isn't it odd that a lot of the newer and low budget war movies, especially WW1/WW2 have actual equipment and vehicles that are correct for the period, where the huge budget movies of back in the 50's/60's/70's didn't?

Even the newer cheesy movies attempt to get actual movies. I watched one the other day (forget name) where saw an FMG42 used. How rare are those things even? German paratrooper weapon, US troopers in them attacking some super nazi base and "dragon lady blond" making some kind of zombies" as recall. The movies itself was terrible, but the weapons/uniforms was spot on all around. Gweher43, they had it 100%.

Why couldn't they attempt this 30-40 years ago when those things were everywhere?

Edit:

Looked up the name of this particular movie and it was called a "no budget" horror movie and remember it was cheesy to the max. "Devils of War" is the title. 2013 and happened to stream it several months ago online. Weapons/uniforms alone were the best part.. The 2 blonds were not bad either...

Last edited by johnsilver on Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total

#140: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:56 pm
    —
Quote:
Why couldn't they attempt this 30-40 years ago when those things were everywhere?

some did, like this Czechoslovakian movie Tank Brigade circa 1955
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rui6iHC9Rms

#141: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:11 pm
    —
I heard, maybe here, that the Russians had a huge collection of working WW2 Russian/German tanks for the purpose of making films. Anyone else heard that?

#142: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:17 pm
    —
Quote:
I heard, maybe here, that the Russians had a huge collection of working WW2 Russian/German tanks for the purpose of making films. Anyone else heard that?

well, there are several mobile WW2 tanks (T34, Hetzer, T70, T60, SU-85, PzIV, etc) in Kubinka tank museum (http://www.tankmuseum.ru/) that they lease to film-makers.
like these:
White Tiger (Belyy Tiger) movie.
T-34s

Burnt by the Sun 2 (Utomlennie solntsem 2)
PzIV from museum on a foreground and T44 made to look like PzIV in the background.

Some immobile WW2 tanks:
BT-5

Matilda II

M3 Lee

nowadays they also make mobile models of WW2 tanks:
Tiger http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQmnWwkT1x0&feature=player_embedded
PzIII

#143: Re: War Movies Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:32 pm
    —
What is the name of the European made movie from the 200os that is fairly low budget production that has a Pak40, Hetzer, Stug, SDKFZ 251/1 Ketinkrad and multiple other moving German vehicles in it? It's a decent movie. Was looking for it a little awhile back, but stopped. Mistakenly thought it was another good movie called "Brothers War" but it is not.

Edit again here:

Researched some.. Brothers war does have a Hetzer also, but it's only at the beginning. Just watched it again. Also has a ketinkrad, Schwimwagon, K98, MP40.. Uni's look right and contrary to what many star studded films have (to me) a good story line. Maybe because it's unique, but I really enjoyed it.

It's not the one was thinking of anyway and still looking for that bonanza Axis vehicle movie that's being elusive so far.

Last edited by johnsilver on Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total

#144: Re: War Movies Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:25 am
    —
johnsilver,

That was "Band of Brothers." That was a GREAT mini series originally on HBO. Now it is a 6-DVD set.

#145: Re: War Movies Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 4:20 pm
    —
Movie with all those actual vehicles is "Red Rose of Normandy" BTW. Finally found it again. Many have probably already seen it. Low budget, kind of cheesy, but liked it because of all of the vehicles and not that many WW2 movies even made really nowdays.

Tiger 131 made an appearance, Stug 4, Hetzer, Pak 40. That movie was a museum bonanza for us buffs who like to see real equipment.

Like seeing Aberdeen proving grounds in action.

#146: Re: War Movies Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:59 pm
    —
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Da3EgZUA0Y

not whinny Jude law in sight... Nice!

#147: Re: War Movies Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:18 pm
    —
But they got the Fallen Fighters square mixed with the train station.  Laughing

#148: Re: War Movies Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:34 am
    —
Hard to search the entire thread but did anyone mention The Lost Battalion?

Very good movie

#149: Re: War Movies Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 2:43 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Hard to search the entire thread but did anyone mention The Lost Battalion?

Very good movie

One of my very favorite WW1 movies ever made. Been an awful lot of excellent WW1 movies actually the last 10 years or so. Beneath Hill 60 I rate up there just other that one Michael.

#150: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:29 pm
    —
The new Stalingrad movie out. Its done by the same guy who did 9th Company. Its going to suck royally. Reviews are already negative.

#151: Re: War Movies Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:40 pm
    —

I looked up new Stalingrad movie. And this is what i got. I have made no further investigation. Because all i need is this picture.  

I would describe it as lol.

I will now continue too read about it...

***Update,

This is the first Russian movie completely produced with 3D technology

Update: I have not seen it. They say don't judge a book by its cover. But in this case i think you can.

IF this is this is the movie you are referring to. Otherwise post a link.

#152: Re: War Movies Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:53 am
    —
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGk2WZkFCCg

#153: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:04 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
The new Stalingrad movie out. Its done by the same guy who did 9th Company. Its going to suck royally. Reviews are already negative.

hey mooxe, I was strongly against the director (Bondarchuk) after 9th Company, but I wastched this movie in IMAX 3d like 2 months ago with my wife and it was good - not a masterpiece but definitely a good war movie.
One should bear in mind that this movie is not about Stalingrad but about people in war - big drama. My wife started to cry during first minutes and couldn;t stop till the end. There was a total silence and just a women sobing in the hall - I've seen such only once, during Brest Fortress movie.

Recommended.

#154: Re: War Movies Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:34 am
    —
Agree! A fantastic Movie :-)

And Germans speak German ;-)

Mats

#155: Re: War Movies Author: tedy28 PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:27 pm
    —
My way

#156: Re: War Movies Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 11:07 am
    —
Maybe it's been said here already, but has anyone seen "Unsere Mütter, unsere Väter " the German mini series this year? I've seen a few youtube shorts and it looks really good.

#157: Re: War Movies Author: Sapa PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:57 am
    —
Yes i have seen the serie and it was real good  Smile

#158: Re: War Movies Author: southern_land PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 2:33 pm
    —
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmFFtjB2qY  heavy on the CGI but who knows, might be ok

#159: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:40 pm
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmFFtjB2qY  heavy on the CGI but who knows, might be ok

yeah looks pretty cool Smile

#160: Re: War Movies Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:52 pm
    —
Have seen 'unsere mutter, unsere vater' a few days ago...... pfffff..... that's what I call good television
a good story, good actors,... I rank this one easily on the same level as 'all quiet on the WF', 'Band of brothers' or 'Platoon'
It shows war as it is!

#161: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:16 am
    —
Just finished Lone Survivor. Nice movie, suspenseful in the fighting. Follows the book as far as I can remember to but Hollywood did insert some things. Mark Wahlberg does a good job in this, you almost forget its Mark Wahlberg. The writer of the book does a cameo in the movie as well at the beginning. Worth watching!

#162: Re: War Movies Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:41 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Just finished Lone Survivor. Nice movie, suspenseful in the fighting. Follows the book as far as I can remember to but Hollywood did insert some things. Mark Wahlberg does a good job in this, you almost forget its Mark Wahlberg. The writer of the book does a cameo in the movie as well at the beginning. Worth watching!

those tumbles they took down the cliffs were sickening

#163: Re: War Movies Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:00 am
    —
I didnt know there was so common with barren trees in Afghanistan?

#164: Re: War Movies Author: Sapa PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:07 am
    —
Wings of honour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jfG19Rg0o

And i thougt RAF didnt use B-24 in the bombing of Germany other than for radar jamming..hmmm

#165: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:22 pm
    —
Now that computer generated graphics are so good there's tons of these little movies popping up.

#166: Re: War Movies Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:41 pm
    —
Sapa wrote (View Post):
Wings of honour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2jfG19Rg0o

And i thougt RAF didnt use B-24 in the bombing of Germany other than for radar jamming..hmmm

No offense to UK bomber crews intended here, but my dad said they pitied Lancaster crews. He said they looked like they weren't moving when they were flying and they only had .303's as main armament. Every time they went in the air during the daylight, they were far more likely to be attacked as the US bombers and by night? If one was hit? They turn around and could be rammed by another flying in further behind, so they had to fly on towards the target.

It was a terrible thing to fly in one of those slow, lumbering and under gunned things and my dad said they were proud of the UK crews for what they put up with.

#167: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 9:40 pm
    —
Quote:
Have seen 'unsere mutter, unsere vater' a few days ago...... pfffff..... that's what I call good television
a good story, good actors,... I rank this one easily on the same level as 'all quiet on the WF', 'Band of brothers' or 'Platoon'
It shows war as it is!

have just watched it - second every word!
Awesome!

Point of notes for me:
no one is bad and no one is good - everyone is just a human beeing under the stress of War which gets the worst out of everyone.
what was really interesting to see was how the Poles and Ukranians were shown (probably the first time in movies) - no wonder the series was forbidden on TV there. Looks like their actions are remembered not only in Russia. Although it was forbidden on TV in Russia as well...
of course the German scares of what will be done will them when the RA soldiers come after their actions in the USSR.
the RA leutenant who stops soldiers that were going to rape women in a hospital - something really different in comparison to "2mlns raped in Berlin"(c) Beevor.

#168: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:06 am
    —
Just watched episode 1, pretty good.

(Seems like Hollywood is planting mines again!)

#169: Re: War Movies Author: tedy28 PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:32 pm
    —
yea as Poles and Ukrainians attacked the poor Jews, a fact!!!

#170: Re: War Movies Author: carusoLocation: Livorno PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:15 pm
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
[quote]
what was really interesting to see was how the Poles and Ukranians were shown (probably the first time in movies)

They showed that side of the truth, about the poles (btw they were not just them or the ukrainians but some russians like Bronislav Kaminski's troops as well, or Lithuanians, excetera...) , even in Schindler's list ( where Spielberg didn't show a proper perscution by the locals but underlined that they didn't like the Jews)...but certainly some of them helped also...

Dima wrote (View Post):
[quote]
the RA leutenant who stops soldiers that were going to rape women in a hospital - something really different in comparison to "2mlns raped in Berlin"(c) Beevor.

Both things are true in the end. In Berlin, it mostly happened that the first disciplined soviet lines were acting like that leutenant. But the second lines....

As sayed above, there's no good or bad....

#171: Re: War Movies Author: carusoLocation: Livorno PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:04 am
    —
"unsere mutter, unsere vater" Just finished to whatch all the three parts.

Well i would say that i could see something differrent than many other war movies, and was interesting enough to see it untill the end but i don't think is this great as for example, platoon  Surprised ...maybe more like Band of brothers  Smile  (sure, each of us has his own taste  Smile )

It  shows you a good drama, good stories, real sides of the war on the front line and not, but some times a bit unrealistic and some others with some stereotypes.

Compared to another german war movie that i've seen, i would say that Vilsmaier's "Stalingrad", still some times a bit unrealistic (ehehe in the end is true that some movies are a lot unrealistic, others less, but is even difficoult to find a 100% reality following movie) but from another planet :D

Still talking about german war movies, i would add Petersen's "Das Boot", one of my favs.

#172: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:21 am
    —
Just watched Judgement at Nuremberg.

Three hour movie, 1961, black and white set in Nuremberg, 1948. Four judges are on trial for basically working under Nazi law. Are they guilty for carrying out the laws that were legal at the time? Should they, or could they of objected?

Pretty good move. 8.3 on IMDB. I didn't even notice it was three hours. William Shatner was in it to. I found out about this movie by reading an article about the actor who died 1 Feb 2014, Maximilian Schell. He played the defense. You will recognize him from many WW2 films of the 1960-1970s and maybe 1980s by always playing a German officer. A Bridge Too Far and Cross of Iron just to name two.

The judge Spencer Tracy looked oddly like the old man from the animated movie Up. Couldn't get that out of my mind. I Google'd this afterwards and the character was actually modelled after Spencer Tracy, Walter Mathau and Jame Whitmore. Funny thing about watching old movies is you see where actors got their start, and  how present movies give homage to the past.

#173: Re: War Movies Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:01 am
    —
Agree Mooxe. Actors in that movie, many early in their career playing parts that were so out of character to how we mainly remember them. The one who always stuck in my mind was Werner Klemperer from that movie. His arrogant character in that movie he portrayed was so different than the buffoon camp Kommadant from Hogan's heroes he became famous for, as well as most other parts he played later on.

#174: Re: War Movies Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:42 pm
    —
Just got the Pacific series.

I'll let you know when I get around to watching.  Wink

#175: Re: War Movies Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:47 am
    —
I finally finished "Unsere matter Unsere Vatter" last night, known here as Generation War which is a silly name considering it translates easily from German to English?

I've decided it should be called "Seven people who inexplicablly continue to bump into each other during a 4 year War with millions of other people available to bump into!"- see end of post for why there is seven....

SPOILER WARNING
It was a stretch to believe these same people would continously meet up over and over, but -hey- thats movies for you.
Having said that, the series is VERY good to watch, I enjoyed it a lot how they portrayed the descisions that the 5 main characters needed make and how they affected them later.
Like Viktor joining up with anti - Semetic partisans, he agreed with their cause but was ultimately rejected by them.
And Friedhelm's conversion from objector to model soldier who carries out the most objectionable orders without protest, you could see early on he understood he would not survive.

It continues the change in how popular media portrays the war, going from 1950's proaganda (John Wayne] to 1960'saction/ comedy (Kelly's Heroes] and finally 1970's and later serious which began with Apocalypse Now.
These war movies now are less about the battles and more a setting for a character drama, which is OK with me.

btw - the number six is Liliya the medical aid who turns into a RA officer and delivers the worst line of the series when she stops the rape of Charly - her attitude streched my belief.
Number seven is Dorn the Gestapo officer who magically re-appears as a admin clerk after the surrender. It closed the loop on the Viktor story but again, what are the odds?

#176: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:47 am
    —
It reminded me of a Seinfeld episode actually. It was good but all those chance meetups... come on! Maybe one or two but over and over and over was over the top.

#177: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:46 pm
    —
The Imitation Game

Trailer

imitation_game.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.17 KB
 Viewed:  311 Time(s)

imitation_game.jpg

#178: Re: War Movies Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:08 am
    —
Some of the historical inaccuracy's noted in that film seem pretty unforgivable.

#179: Re: War Movies Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:24 pm
    —
Theirs Is the Glory (1946)

A film about the Market Garden - operation made in 1946 in the real locations using many of the veterans of the actual battle. Very interesting, I think it's in the public domain meaning it's ok to watch it. It's on Youtube but I won't put the link here if that's against the rules or something. I liked it, some scenes were maybe a bit embellished such as casually going outside the headquarters and blowing away a German tank with a PIAT and then casually walking back in. But then again, these were the actual guys who were there, or at least some of them were.

#180: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 pm
    —
Codebreaking and WWII military communications is a fascinating subject.

#181: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:49 pm
    —
Lebanon (2009)

Trailer US

lebanon_poster.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  181.17 KB
 Viewed:  287 Time(s)

lebanon_poster.jpg

#182: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:07 pm
    —
"1944"

Estonian World War II Movie

1944.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.77 KB
 Viewed:  289 Time(s)

1944.jpg

#183: Re: War Movies Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:50 pm
    —
Breakthrough (1979)

Steiner - Das Eiserne Kreuz II

Movie

Breakthrough (1979).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  73.28 KB
 Viewed:  300 Time(s)

Breakthrough (1979).jpg

#184: Re: War Movies Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:56 am
    —
Just saw this was pretty decent dunno about armor being correct in that era though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbvIjYl9SU4

bridge-at-remagen_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.97 KB
 Viewed:  286 Time(s)

bridge-at-remagen_1.jpg

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1