#21: Re: War Movies Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:03 pm
    —
cross of iron
stalingrad
platoon
hamburger hill
84 charlie mopic (nice viewing of LRRP)
all quite on the WF (especially the original)  Razz
tears of the sun (Nice demonstration of cqb drills)
blackhawk down (nice as instruction video during MOUT, especially what went wrong  Confused )
band of brothers
apocalypse now

#22: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:07 pm
    —
Of course its different when you have been "over there".
Seen a lot of real combat stuff on net.
But its not entertaining as the fictional one.

#23: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:11 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Empire of the Sun is one of my all time favorites. It's about a young boy growing up & lost in the Japanese internment camps. Like a coming of age story. I watched it as a boy and even then many of my interests were in WW2 history so this movie was perfect for me. When my son gets older I plan on showing him this film.

You like to see japs as bad boys, right?

McHara wrote (View Post):

I think that you're focused on infantry war movies. There's a good film about the crew of a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, I've found it online and going to see right now. The film may be know by many of you, It's called "The Memphis Belle".

Bombers and artillery destroys, grunts conquer.
They do the ugly work.

Dark Blue World looks really good. Czech made WWII movie about a Czech pilot in RAF.

#24: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:32 pm
    —
What is benefits for downloading a movie?
You get the right subtitles (atleast english ones).
I got Kokoda on DVD, and I have no idea what those guys are talking.

#25: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:03 pm
    —
Tippi-Simo wrote (View Post):

Bombers and artillery destroys, grunts conquer.
They do the ugly work.

Perhaps you think as Lt. Rico from Starship Troopers : " The air force strolls while the infantry fights"
But don't forget that the bombers must arrive to the objective before droping their bombs. It wasn't easy for the Flying Fortresses to survive at the flack and fockewulf attacks on their way also the fighters had less fuel and could only scort them on short distances above the enemy lines. In WW2 many of the US losses were on the sky.

#26: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:23 pm
    —
Without the "Flying Fortress" and the "Liberators" droping bombs over the axis industry, hitler's war machine would have never been shooted down. Besides the blitzkrieg was based not only on tanks also on stuka bombers. I think now that planes fly at match X speeds the "dog fight" of WW (I and II) it's impossible, but it was a really nice duel on the European sky. Its incredible, for example, how the RAF Spitfires had to stop de V-2 missiles by reaching the same speed of the rocket and desestabilizing them by rubing with their wings.

#27: Re: War Movies Author: McHaraLocation: Madrid PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:35 pm
    —
Its incredible, for example, how the RAF Spitfires had to stop de V-2 missiles by reaching the same speed of the rocket and desestabilizing them by rubing with their wings.

correction: Those were the V-1, the V-2 were too fast for any allied fighter.

#28: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:00 pm
    —
Without the "Flying Fortress" and the "Liberators" droping bombs over the axis industry, hitler's war machine would have never been shooted down. Besides the blitzkrieg was based not only on tanks also on stuka bombers. I think now that planes fly at match X speeds the "dog fight" of WW (I and II) it's impossible, but it was a really nice duel on the European sky. Its incredible, for example, how the RAF Spitfires had to stop de V-2 missiles by reaching the same speed of the rocket and desestabilizing them by rubing with their wings.

What about RAF? Ever heard about Avro Lancaster?

V-1&V-2 were totally useless, Allies exaggerated their usefulness.

#29: Re: War Movies Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:56 pm
    —
The V weapons may have been less than perfect as a "destuctive" weapon but I think they were far more successful as a psycological weapon. Prehaps the ww2 version of the I.E.D.

And yes, please don't forget that whilst the USAAF headed out over occupied Europe day after day the RAF did it night after night. And although Bomber Commands war may now be much maligned, the young crews were in no less danger and showed the utmost bravery. And just as with all the other branches of all the armed forces, many thousands never returned.

#30: Re: War Movies Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:35 am
    —
What about ZULU!

Based on Rourkes Drift

Talk about impossible victorys

From memory 11 Victoria Crosses

#31: Re: War Movies Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:45 am
    —
A great film. Just wish I'd been able to see it at the cinema. I'm sure those massive landscapes would have looked amazing on the big screen.

#32: Re: War Movies Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:00 pm
    —
3 must see:

Saving Private Ryan - especially the last sequence when U.S. dug-in against heavy German armoured assault, that was amazing how real the directors made it seem

A Bridge Too Far - probably the best cast of actors ever assembled for any movie...period.  Lots of authentic warbirds in action too.

The Longest Day - John Wayne at his best

#33: Re: War Movies Author: Therion PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:35 am
    —
I think that you're focused on infantry war movies. There's a good film about the crew of a Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress, I've found it online and going to see right now. The film may be know by many of you, It's called "The Memphis Belle".

Yeah, Memphis Belle was awesome Very Happy .

I've watched We Were the Soldiers the other day. It's my favourite war movie. It doesn't show crazy people and war atrocities, but at the same time manages to be the most horrifying Vietnam movie that I've seen. Mainly due to excellent special effects and excellent acting.

#34: Re: War Movies Author: Zturm PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:47 am
    —
Inglorious Basterds is a great movie, but like Apocalypse Now, it isn't a war movie per se. IB is a Tarantino movie spoken in three languages, with LOTS of violence, stylish violence if you ask me  Wink . But it's basically a Tarantino movie, with mexican standoff included, a female badass, and the topic of killing for fun flying around the whole movie. Very entertaining, i hadn't had so much fun in the cinema in many years until i saw this movie. But it isn't a war movie. It feels more like a cold war movie but it happens in a WW2 period.

#35: Re: War Movies Author: iDot PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:28 am
    —
Hey Mooxe according to an interview I watched with regards to Inglourious bastards. Tarintino has always said this was fiction and was not historically accurate.

#36: Re: War Movies Author: RD_TG_JagerLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:48 pm
    —
Iron Cross is great set on the eastern front....Stalingrad is great and also....Winter War

In 1943, in the Russian front, the decorated leader Rolf Steiner is promoted to Sergeant after another successful mission. Meanwhile the upper-class and arrogant Prussian Captain Hauptmann Stransky is assigned as the new commander of his squad. After a bloody battle of Steiner's squad against the Russian troops led by the brave Lieutenant Meyer that dies in the combat, the coward Stransky claims that he led his squad against the Russian and requests to be awarded with the Iron of Cross to satisfy his personal ambition together with his aristocratic family. Stransky gives the names of Steiner and of the homosexual Lieutenant Triebig as witnesses of his accomplishment, but Steiner, who has problems with the chain of command in the army and with the arrogance of Stransky, refuses to participate in the fraud. When Colonel Brandt gives the order to leave the position in the front, Stransky does not retransmit the order to Steiner's squad, and they are left alone surrounded by the enemy and having to fight to survive. Written by Claudio Carvalho, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

A squad of German soldiers fighting on the Eastern Front during WWII led by a battle-hardened sergeant fight to survive Soviet attacks and dogmatic commanders in a chaotic and lethal environment in this sympathetic portrayal of another side of the war not commonly portrayed in Hollywood film. Written by Keith Loh {loh@sfu.ca}

The film opens with a squad of seasoned German soldiers, led by a disillusioned but skilled sergeant, on a patrol on the Russian front in WWII. They return to base to find a new commander, a traditional Prussian officer who wants only one thing from his command - An Iron Cross to maintain his family honor. The scene is set for a graphic portrayal of the horrors of war and of the conflict between two men of differing

#37: Re: War Movies Author: Infidel PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:55 am
    —
Wow, I can't believe people enjoyed Inglourious at all, I found it utterly crap.  Tarantino has lost it, Jackie Brown was his last film of any quality, and along with Pulp Fiction and Res' Dogs those are the only 3 worth watching.  Reason; Scripts.  I can't remember a single memorable line in Inglourious, however Pulp Fiction etc... every single line is memorable.  

Lots of violence?  I can't remember any of that in IB either... just talking and boredom.

Iron Cross as described by tgierut would be a much better film to watch, I can verify that, it's an absolute classic.

#38: Re: War Movies Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:32 am
    —
Hey Tippi-Simmo

There is a thing over here at the moment  called the Piaf Film Season

One of the movies in it is Finnish, called Max Mannus

Says he was a guerilla fighter against the Nazis.

It says " A charming rogue who led some of the most spectacular attacks on the Nazi war machine"

The film apparently is pretty good, a 3 1/2 stars out of 5 from a non war lover

Have you seen it? If so, what are your comments

#39: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:46 am
    —
He was Norwegian, volunteered to the Winter War.

Have not seen the movie.

#40: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:49 am
    —
And didn't know there was a film about him.
I will watch it.
Thanks for the info.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
Page 2 of 10