War Movies
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#61: Re: War Movies Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:22 pm
    —
Recently watched 'Tali Ihantala 1944 - The Battle of Finland' ("free-hand" translation of the title, don't know if it have an official English title...)

The previous film I've seen by Åke Lindman was engaging and well-done, but this was only a realistic and beautiful mess!! I couldn't follow the plot, or the characters, and all I got was a over-all perspective of what happened... Really sad I must say.

Have 'We were soldiers' and 'Brotherhood of War' lying around for a dark and rainy night; -My hopes lays with 'Brotherhood', but I have to wait and see.

#62: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:36 pm
    —
Today i've watched the new Russian/Belorus war movie, called "Brestskaya Krepost" (The Brest fortress). I must say i was shocked, i believe that is the best Russian war movie for at least last 20 years.

The official trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07yKGsI5bwQ

#63: Re: War Movies Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:16 pm
    —
Thanks Dima,

The trailer does look good!

#64: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:34 pm
    —
Hmm, I´m a fan of foreign movies.
But this one looks too much Hollywood made movie, I hope that I´m wrong.
Looked like a typical movie an American would like to see.

#65: Re: War Movies Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:58 pm
    —
7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):
Recently watched 'Tali Ihantala 1944 - The Battle of Finland' ("free-hand" translation of the title, don't know if it have an official English title...)

Tried to watch this one. Seemed more of a history lesson than a film. I ended up fast forwarding to all the battle seens, and they were well done.

#66: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:01 am
    —
Quote:

you are wrong indeed, your favorite "9th Company" crap is Hollywood-style Smile.

Quote:
Looked like a typical movie an American would like to see

That's a war drama based on historical facts that happend in Brest fortress in the first week of the German attack on USSR. It shows how the war started for the garrison and their families, sudden and brutal. The Germans are shown not cruel or stupid but strong and merciless, doing their job to clear the fortress fast and with as little casualties as possible.
Alot of women were crying in the cinema, including my wife, and some men were sobing too Smile.

#67: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:55 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:

you are wrong indeed, your favorite "9th Company" crap is Hollywood-style Smile.

9th Company is indeed a good movie, but my favorite? Njet.

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
Looked like a typical movie an American would like to see

That's a war drama based on historical facts that happend in Brest fortress in the first week of the German attack on USSR. It shows how the war started for the garrison and their families, sudden and brutal. The Germans are shown not cruel or stupid but strong and merciless, doing their job to clear the fortress fast and with as little casualties as possible.
Alot of women were crying in the cinema, including my wife, and some men were sobing too Smile.

I don´t believe before I see it.

So when is the cake in the oven?

#68: Re: War Movies Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:25 am
    —
Quote:
9th Company is indeed a good movie,

ahistorical and unrealistic crap Smile.

#69: Re: War Movies Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:31 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
9th Company is indeed a good movie,

ahistorical and unrealistic crap Smile.

It´s movie, entertainment, not a documentary.
And my opinion is that it does its work very well, that´s all I care.

#70: Re: War Movies Author: tedy28 PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:26 pm
    —
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Umb5662aOKE&feature=fvw
good movie

#71: Re: War Movies Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:49 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):

Tried to watch this one. Seemed more of a history lesson than a film. I ended up fast forwarding to all the battle seens, and they were well done.

You said it Mooxe!! I couldn't place my feeling, but this movie is like something you would watch during a history lesson.  Shocked

And I can only agree on the battle scenes, they are well done. But there is something that bothers me with the Russian KV's; -They don't look right, but I don't know what I react on with them..?

#72: Re: War Movies Author: sample PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am
    —
speaking about war movies, i found this user question on "downfall/der untergang" imdb discussions board:

"Was It Over When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor??"

#73: Re: War Movies Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:33 am
    —
sample wrote (View Post):
speaking about war movies, i found this user question on "downfall/der untergang" imdb discussions board:

"Was It Over When the Germans Bombed Pearl Harbor??"

Haven't you heard of the German carrier-fleet?
-Oh wait, was that history or the last time I played Hearts of Iron II?  Razz

Seriously speaking, and a bit of topic; -the level of stupidity regarding history and common knowledge scares me sometimes.
I have two, relatively bright, teenage daughters, but every week I have to play this charade where I ask God what I've done wrong since he punish me with such stupid kids? (top 1 ever; -We live in Sweden and she asks "what was ABBA?")

And it's not only my kids! 26 years ago my history teacher said: "In the beginning of WW I, the German offensive was stopped by the Maginot line and that's why the war bogged down in four years of trench-warfare." (We never really got along after I asked her how they could built it in -16 years...) A few weeks ago my 16-year old came home from school and talked about how horrible it was when "...the English troops liberated Auswitch...", 'cause that's what her history teacher had said! (God damn! Those Tommies advanced far to long to the east!) And since I've brought some knowledge and interest to her, she had questioned her teachers claim and said that it wasn't English uniforms in the documentary they saw; -but he only said, "oh yes, it was English troops. Their uniforms looked like that!"  Rolling Eyes

#74: Re: War Movies Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:58 am
    —
anybody watched this classic war movies??

-The Battle of the Bulge
-Midway
-Hell is for Heroes
-A Bridge Too Far
-Battle of Britain
-None But The Brave
-King Rat
-Von Ryan's Express
-The Bridge at Remagen
-633 Squadron
-The Longest Day
-The Dirty Dozen
-The Green Berets
-The Sand Pebbles
-The Great Escape
-Hanover Street
-Escape to Athena
-Force 10 From Navarone
-The Guns of Navarone
-The Eagle Has Landed
-Raid on Rommel
-The Wild Geese
-Tora! Tora! Tora!
-Kelley's Heroes
-Patton
-The Deer Hunter
-Apocalypse Now

well.....if any else of you haven't, go to www.letmewatchthis.ch and type any of these movies......

#75: Re: War Movies Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:01 pm
    —
Memphis Belle
The Enemy Below
and Where Eagles Dare

i forgot to mention these too......very good classics

#76: Re: War Movies Author: Therion PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 5:00 pm
    —
Rampage by Uwe Boll. Great war movie.

#77: Re: War Movies Author: Zep PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:39 am
    —
Here are a few more that were not mentioned Surprised
Attack
Pork Chop Hill
Battleground
Defiance
Immortal Sergeant
Decision Before Dawn
Attack Force Z
Anzio
Halls Of Montezuma
Night Of The Generals
Operation Daybreak
The Desert Fox
The Desert Rats
Midway
Lion Of The Desert
The Young Lions
We Were Soldiers
Come And See
The Pacific-Box Set
In Harms Way
The Bridges At Toko-Ri
Were Eagles Dare

#78: Re: War Movies Author: FFL_KklinkkLocation: Austin, Texas PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:27 pm
    —
One serie I haven't seen mentionned (could have miss it) but I really liked was: Tour of Duty (season 1)

#79: Re: War Movies Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:30 am
    —
yeah!!! TOUR OF DUTY

me and my dad's favorite tv show about the vietnam war......

a story of a platoon......in the midst of the war....

#80: Re: War Movies Author: CinCUKHQ PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:49 pm
    —
I just got a film called pathfinders, I belive its about 82nd airbourne on 5/6 June 44. looks alright but will let you know how it gose.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
Page 4 of 10