Maximum number of Names
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

#1: Maximum number of Names Author: mmmmmduffbeer PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:18 pm
    —
What is the maximum number of names in the USNames.txt in Close Combat V?

Last edited by mmmmmduffbeer on Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: Senior_DrillLocation: 22134 PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:10 pm
    —
I don't know, but it is probably something like 32,768.  I've seen name files with over 900 names used with no appearent problems.  All data files are loaded into memory on .exe start, so the larger a data file, the more memory and longer time to load.  Of course, with modern machines, that might be just another .003 seconds.  Use as many names as you want to, but the entire Manhatten phone book might be a tad excessive, if not to the game, then as a "Do you have a life?" type of issue.

#3: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: mmmmmduffbeer PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:48 pm
    —
I know there's a maximum number, because I've had name lists where there were 670k of names, but only the first so many would show up.  I'd notice that there was A.C. Donahue and A.F. Green, but never any names lower on the list.  Last year, when I was sick for like a month, I actually figured out about where it cut off, but because I'm a freaking genius I didn't write it down or even backup that names file.

#4: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: Senior_DrillLocation: 22134 PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:09 am
    —
Been there, done that, lost the hard drive!  Crying or Very sad  I've never pushed a name file passed 910 names, without first and middle name initials. The maximum is probably a number of lines based on a byte multiple.  These games were developed over 10 years ago so they probably do have uppper byte limits.   Don't know what that would be, but it is probably total bytes rather than total names.

#5: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: mmmmmduffbeer PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:53 am
    —
Well, I just made a new name file (With first initials and extra Smiths and Millers and suchs) and it's good until at least 27271st name so that's good enough for me.

#6: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:34 pm
    —
Let us know though if you see the game repeatedly selecting the same name from your list.

#7: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: mmmmmduffbeer PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:25 pm
    —
No, I haven't noticed it doing that and I've been playing pretty regularly.  Why would it repeat the same name?

#8: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:30 pm
    —
Maybe to check if its like my rubbish mp3 player. Which despite having 100+ tracks on it, when you play in shuffle mode it shuffles to the same order every time Rolling Eyes

#9: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:00 pm
    —
Laughing

#10: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:56 pm
    —
mmmmmduffbeer wrote (View Post):
Why would it repeat the same name?

It shouldn't.

I think my install came from the same house as Hart's mp3 player.

Embarassed

#11: Re: Maximum number of Names Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:35 pm
    —
It would repeat if it had a poor random number generator, computers can only achieve pseudo random generation. Making the total number of names an odd number might help or possibly even a prime number but this is a wild guess as I have no idea how it selects the name.

Close Combat Series -> Modding Workshop

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1