AI behaviour
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

#1: AI behaviour Author: wallach79 PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:28 pm
    —
The greatest weakpoint of Close Combat game is AI behaviour. Offcourse, everybody wants to have a smart artificial intelligence, very close of that of a human opponent. Different mods tried to improve AI by replacing the teams SAI numbers (eg. 8 instead of 1 for infantry) or by changing battlegroups comanders features (charisma, agression...and so on) but this changes aren't enough to represent a real challenge for the human player. If someone wants a RADICAL change have to modify the dll files where the battlegroups and the teams behaviour it could be changed from the root. I think a model for such a modification could be offered by the CHESS computer games where AI became so strong that it's really hard for a human to beat it. If there are some CC fans among those who know to work with dll files it would be great if they would improve AI by the way that I'm speaking above.

#2:  Author: RedScorpionLocation: Neverland PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:44 pm
    —
nah, just play human opponent. its what this game was made for. its only then you truly realise its splendour! :hurt4

#3:  Author: wallach79 PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:01 pm
    —
RedScorpion wrote:
nah, just play human opponent. its what this game was made for. its only then you truly realise its splendour! :hurt4

I was sure that someone will say this...but I want to play a challenging AI though...

#4:  Author: blacksad PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 9:50 pm
    —
just one thing to say : chess don't handle hazard, which is a part of all wargame' issue (a fire at a target "never" got same result). So, u can model chess party where each "coup" is knew, but not the easiest wargame one....
the problem with the AI in CC (and other) is how he managed deployment and VLs, also BG standing, managing his own strength related to the "human" opponent one : so he often attack even when his group is cut to pieces and scattered while he would have to regroup on some more secured positions... (but many players do the same Laughing )
well, i'm agree with u, it'll be fine to have something better than we know Wink

#5:  Author: Antifa PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:50 pm
    —
It may be so that playing an actual opponent is the only solution. The AI is just not a worthy opponent and the difficultly level in the game simply gives more lucky shots and supplies to the AI which doesn't really change much. Even if a AI crewman with a hand gun wipes out an entire engineer unit (which I've seen happen and it is actually kind of funny) -- in the end the AI won't win.

I think the solution to this is not as impossible as it seems but would make the game unwiedly in terms of MB size and would have to be re-done for each map. Record the strategies and in-game tactical responses of veteran players and program them into the AI's range of responses.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1