Would people play a CC mmo?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: Spinlock PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:03 pm
    —
Here's a thought experiment.
If there was an mmo of CC do you think enough people would play to sustain it?
I'm talking about something that had a persistent operational map. People could log in and fight alongside others with the force pool divided among them based on rank.
I'm imagining a semi-realtime 'living' frontline. Where if no players were involved, battles would be ai.vs ai. Casual type players would still be able to jump in and take control
of a number of units based on Rpg-like rank at any time.

I think that kind of game would be pretty nice. but would it ever attract enough people to it?

#2: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: RD_TG_JagerLocation: New Jersey PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:10 pm
    —
The problem with playing a game like this as an MMO is people working together in squads and having unit organization.  I played battleground Europe with my son, which is an MMO of the battle of France in 1940. The weapons cycle through upgrades from 1940-1942 and depending and it resets after every campaign. After playing It for 2 years, I thought it was a very good game and there are days during the week, when (clans or squads) work together to take a town or 2. But I found that allot of people tended to go Rambo, like allot of other FPS games (say call of duty).  It is a good concept and is fun, but you will not see everyone work together as you would like too and you need a consistent population of people playing to keep everything active.

#3: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:22 pm
    —
It already exists and you casn play it now.

The MMCC3 servers are running at the moment.

Fire up CoI and give it a run.

I think the Russians have all but obliterated the German forcers on one server and the germans have surrounded 1/3 of russian forces in the Operation mars server.

The third server is deadlocked at present.

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/coi/CoI_MMCCIII/CoI_MMCCIII.html

#4: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: Spinlock PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:45 pm
    —
I'm not sure that either of you actually read my post.

What I described is nothing like ww2ol. That game is a showcase for bad design and promotes independent play. In what I described, not working together is harder than being cooperative.  

Again, what i posted is not like mmcc3, mmcc3 is just a crude match-maker (and a P.I.T.A. to use) hence why hardly anyone is ever on. And there no way to fight cooperatively with several people on the same match.
there is no way to share your force pool with others. There is no ongoing evaluation of a commanders performance, no consequence for bad command decisions. There is no persistence.  
what Im talking about is a living strategic map, that moves regardless of how many people are logged in. A fresh combat situation is always available and there are privledges that come with being a good commander and gaining rank. Most of all there would cooperative play.(voice chat built in wold be nice)

#5: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:20 am
    —
Then play CCMT

or mAke a MMCc3 for CCMT with the enhancements you require.

#6: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:21 am
    —
Another great response from Customer Support.

#7: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:07 am
    —
ok

Don't play CCMT and don't make a version of mmcc3 for ccmt.

now are you happy?

#8: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:55 pm
    —
i am sure mmc for ccmt would not be too difficult for a talented programmer, now that would be awesome.

#9: Re: Would people play a CC mmo? Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:08 am
    —
papa_whisky wrote (View Post):
i am sure mmc for ccmt would not be too difficult for a talented programmer, now that would be awesome.

I agree that this would be "awesome", but there is no saved game format in Modern Tactics. Does that not present difficulties from the start.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1