Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#21: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:43 pm
    —
LOL!LOL!LOL!LOL!

#22: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: CSO_SbufkleLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:15 am
    —
davidssfx wrote (View Post):
Should high resolution aerial photographs of actual battlefield sites be used in the next generation of CC, and use similar realistic textures to update the map to resemble it historically?

A high resolution aerial was used in the recently released D-Day Brecourt mod for CC3. The aerial was taken from a helicopter from about 1000 feet overhead, and imported to CC3 with several minor photoshop changes. Although some things weren't able to be realized to completion ... it does give you a base from which to establish an opinion.

This was a discussion we have had many times over the years when making maps. The bottom line boiled down to twot things:

1: All or nothing.. if the map itself are real pcitures, the quaklity of all other graphics, including sprites must be so good it doesnt throw the `real`pic off balance. In todays graphic editors, you can take a real picture and simplywith one button `cvartoon`it and thus make uit a little bit more blended in with teh non real tank, figure and other CC graphics. But wat back in the Simtek days when this was brought up (And prio to modern day graphic editors)  we decided the gap between real and graphics was too big, its all real or all not real. Even with modern day editors thouh, you get to problem #2..

2: Shadows. Look atht eh map shown in OP. The treeline shadows.. those are real, and trhwn a tank rolls by them.. the shadow dissapears.. thats not realistic. As someone whoi has made alot of maps, that would drive me nuts. For a formal games release in 2011, having such an issue is amatuer and unacceptable. For a free mod, maybe something to turn a blind eye to.

#23: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:21 pm
    —
I would have to agree with Sbufkle

#24: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:22 pm
    —
Hi Sbufkle!

we need maps as GHAZWAH Wink

#25: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: CSO_SbufkleLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:25 pm
    —
DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
Hi Sbufkle!

we need maps as GHAZWAH Wink

That was a good map! I sup[pose I neve made any good ones since! lol!

#26: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:04 pm
    —
Hi!

sure that in your old hard drive has many maps as Ghazwah! Wink  Wink

I'm glad to see you again Wink

#27: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:13 am
    —
I like semi photorealistic

Photo realistic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  170.23 KB
 Viewed:  7377 Time(s)

Photo realistic.jpg

#28: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:48 pm
    —
Perfect SL;) Wink

#29: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:14 am
    —
...the truth?  You can't handle the truth!

Photo realistic 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  314.63 KB
 Viewed:  7347 Time(s)

Photo realistic 2.jpg

#30: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: QMLocation: Australia PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:44 pm
    —
Love working with Shanes semi photorealsitic maps.  Has that real texture to it.

#31: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:50 pm
    —
southern_land.......The Picasso of CC;)

#32: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:24 pm
    —
...and some more

more photos.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  256.95 KB
 Viewed:  7516 Time(s)

more photos.jpg

#33: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:18 am
    —
Gotta love those map samples/teasers....

#34: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: CSO_SbufkleLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:51 pm
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):

This is amazing work.. far better than 'total' real as ytou dotn need to worry about other graphics...

#35: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:05 pm
    —
That is badass southern_land. Incredible detail. With style. It just needs a pile of dead soldiers in front of my HMG to become a masterpiece.

#36: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:00 am
    —
looking lovely, those maps, d&mn.

#37: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: sample PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:58 am
    —
davidssfx wrote (View Post):
Should high resolution aerial photographs of actual battlefield sites be used in the next generation of CC, and use similar realistic textures to update the map to resemble it historically?

A high resolution aerial was used in the recently released D-Day Brecourt mod for CC3. The aerial was taken from a helicopter from about 1000 feet overhead, and imported to CC3 with several minor photoshop changes. Although some things weren't able to be realized to completion ... it does give you a base from which to establish an opinion.

it looks interesting but if you have more battles per day on the same map it will come up with different shadows orientation for each engagement; i mean you will need one map for the morning fight and another one for afternoon battle for example;

best regards

#38: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 pm
    —
CC unfortunately does not support on the in battle maps a different time of day. Day or Night the light source is always from the same spot (the upper left)....

#39: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: CC_CO PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:12 pm
    —
Superior CC style. Really cool looking.

Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? YES PLEASE

#40: Re: Should next generation CC use photorealistic maps? Author: CSO_Talorgan PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:40 am
    —
southern_land wrote (View Post):

Moi aussi

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Page 2 of 2