South Wales Borderers question
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: South Wales Borderers question Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:15 am
    —
Hi guys, a little help would be very much appreciated. Recently started researching my grandfathers military history and am currently waiting for the Army Records people to send me a copy of his service history.
All I know at the moment is that he was in the South Wales Borderers, and family history/folklore says he was at D-Day and used to drive Universal Carriers, or as my Nan calls them Bren Carriers Very Happy .
Now I know it is possible he was present at D-Day, depending on which Battalion he was in, and I also have a picture of him stood in front of a carrier so, so far so good. Just need to wait for the documents to find out more.

Anyway... strayed way off point, sorry. I'm making a model loosely based on the small photo I have, but as it's black and white I would very much like to know what colour his beret would have been. I'm assuming it would have been the same khaki colour as the rest of his kit, but if anyone knows for sure would very much appreciate a nod in the right direction. Had a trawl through the internet but havn't found anything yet. Confused

#2: Re: South Wales Borderers question Author: ronsonLocation: England PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:42 pm
    —
Hello mate,

What your grandad is most likely wearing is the 'Cap General Service', issued from 1943. this was similar to a beret manufactured in Khaki, but unlike a beret had a wider headband (around an 1"wide) with a soft shapeless top.

Good luck in your research into his records.

Cheers
Ronson

#3: Re: South Wales Borderers question Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:40 pm
    —
Hey Hawker,

I have a book called "the British soldier, Vol 1 Uniforms Insignia Equipments" From Jean Bouchery I Made a photo of the General service cap wich Ronson mentioned. Maybe this could help you...

Cheers,

Buck

SI852558.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  278.81 KB
 Viewed:  4419 Time(s)

SI852558.JPG

#4: Re: South Wales Borderers question Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:54 pm
    —
Hey both,

Thanking you very much, thats exactly what I needed.

Cheers Very Happy

#5: Re: South Wales Borderers question Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:48 am
    —
If you would like me to i can make some photos of the shoulder titles and the baret insignias of the borderers... there seems to be a diffrence according to my book.

Cheers Remi

#6: Re: South Wales Borderers question Author: HawkerHart PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:02 pm
    —
Hi mate,

Model wise that sounds like info thats way too detailed, model is only 1/35.

But I sure would be interested anyway, if you have the time. After all, the more info I gather the easier the research gets. My mum has some of his army stuff(cap badges etc) somewhere "safe", but she can't find it Rolling Eyes . Have to get looking.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1