TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

#1: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:10 pm
    —
Team Roster

1) Regular players:
a) Must play only one side
b) May take Strategic move turns. If you are unsure of how to take a Strategic move turn (or don't want to) ... then just wait for another Regular player to do it.
c) Can not view opponent's Strategic map (via opponent's save files)
d) plays a least one battle per week

2) Casual Players:
a) May play either side ... if no other choice is available, but make an effort to play just one side.
b) Should not take Strategic move turns. Please wait for a Regular player to take Strategic move turns.
c) Make an effort to not view Strategic overview of opposing side

Allied Regular:
davidssfx
namztukxam
Firefrost

Axis Regular:
hOsTyLe
lorman
Priapus
mooxe

Casual:
ChrisC (QuietGeorgey)
MarkM (HoleyDooley)
cOMRADvZAD (tartarean)
stiener
RD_DeathDealer

Updated information - edited March 8 2010
I'll add new instructions here (in front of the original post) to update any new players with information you need to know ... so you don't have to read through all the posts.

TLD Public Grand Campaign

1) Human opponents only ... No AI
2) requires TLD version 5.50.07 (latest Matrix patch Released: 4 NOV 2009)
3) requires OnGroundFX Sound Mod Version 2 ... available to download here:

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=4146

4) download last saved game file from this forum ... and put it in your "OnGroundFX\Games\Save" folder:
C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat The Longest Day\OnGroundFX\Games\Save
note: extract the file first ... if it is zipped

5) If you know you're going to play for sure ... then post a "Campaign Blocked" message in the forum. This will prevent other players from playing the same battle out of turn.

6) connect with your opponent (via the "OnGroundFX" launch/start icon) ... and select the saved game you put in your "OnGroundFX\Games\Save" folder.

7) Select any units you want for your Active Roster from the available Force Pool ... but the BG's point total must remain within the next (rounded up to) 50 points. Example: Enter the Battle Group screen, view points ... (371 pts. Total). Round up to the next 50 ... Maximum points allowed after any changes to the Active Roster (400 pts. Total). Example 2: (502 pts Total) ... round up to the next 50 ... Maximum allowed, (550 pts. Total).

8) when your battle is finished ... please save your battle in this naming format:

TLD Public GC1 save 3

Example:

"TLD Public GC1 save 3"
The #1 is the Grand Campaign number (to save confusion with future Campaigns), and the #3 is the save version. Next person is obligated to save it as:
"TLD Public GC1 save 4"
If you have two or more battles in a row ... remember to count them in the save number, so the battle and save count stay aligned 

9) post your saved game file as an attachment, with any notes you want to add (zip the file before attaching).
Add "Allied save" or "Axis save" depending on which side you were playing when you saved the game.

10) Also ... please post the outcome of the battle as described in the "Battle Debrief" screen.
Example: Decisive German Victory
Or post a screen shot of it.

11) VL Rule: A player may only deploy forces in setup areas that are solidly (or 'block') connected to a VL under friendly control. Areas touching by corner only are not considered to be connected.

Posted below is a Campaign Debrief Strategic Map; showing: map connections, Supply Depots, and areas of control ... with updates reflecting the current state of the Campaign.
note:
1) Red outline is German control, Blue is Allied, and white outline is mixed control
2) Battle order is listed under map titles.

Last edited by davidssfx on Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:08 am; edited 122 times in total

TLD Public GC 1 Results save 79.jpg
 Description:
Campaign Results Strategic Map March 17 2010
 Filesize:  1.49 MB
 Viewed:  19090 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 Results save 79.jpg

#2: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:51 am
    —
Excellent idea. Yes you can post your files here one of two ways. Zip the file and attach it to a post, or name the file with a .GC extension and you can  upload without zipping. When posting a saved game make you indicate what side (axis or allied) that save file is for. Any Pzt want to weigh in, you guys have lots of experience posting files and online GCs.

David if you can muster up enough interest we can make it a larger event. Instead of guys finding random players on Hamachi (or where ever), starting a new GC and only playing two battles then parting for good, a battle downloaded here can be continued for quite a long time or untill a winner is called.

If they get played, depending on how much I will do twice a month or once a month reports on the main page on the GCs progress.

#3: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:14 am
    —
I moved this text from the first post to avoid confusion for anyone new trying to figure this out.

Beginning of original first post:

Have an idea of how to play a Grand Campaign with other players involved. A real life Campaign of this size would involve many different commanders of varying ranks and abilities ... so

1) Sign in to Hamanchi to see if there are any available opponents wanting to play out this Grand Campaign. Identify yourself by adding this to your name ... here is an example using my log in name "davidssfx".

davidssfx (TLD Open GC 1)

Hamanchi CCS servers are:
Close Combat Series, Close Combat Series 2, and Close Combat Series 3.
(or any other agreed upon connection method)

note: I prefer to use TLD with a sound mod I recently put together ... is negotiable, if others don't want to though. Sound Mod is called "TLD_OnGroundFX_SoundMod_v2.0_installer.zip"
available to download here at CCS:
http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Downloads&op=getit&lid=4146

2) Have an online battle (as mentioned above).

3) When finished ... post your saved game here (I think it's possible to do ... if it's OK with mooxe).

4) The next battle played will use the latest posted saved game file ... by putting it in their saved game folder. example here:
C:\Matrix Games\Close Combat The Longest Day\OnGroundFX\Games\Save
file should differ by date after each battle, and can be compared between players by using the date.

5) Post your saved game file here, and any other notes about the battle you want to share.

If you are interested, or think there is any reason this won't work ... then post here.

thanks
David

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 am; edited 2 times in total

#4: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:29 am
    —
I thought it might be best to include players who prefer playing against the AI ... or can't find an online opponent when they have time to play, but still want to join in.
I wanted to get things started, so elected to begin against the AI ... commanding the Allies. I starting with the pre picked units, but didn't do very well. My deployment zones were center of map and a small portion of bottom left. My 57mm was in a good position but was taken out early by mortar fire. I sent two large groups to capture the top left VL, one from the bottom left, and the other from center right. The AI started moving in from the bottom right, and was also firing from right center ... in the field and hedges. They were held back with MG and Rifle units at center of map buildings.
Meanwhile, both groups had reached there attack position for the top left VL ... and it seemed there was only a couple of units defending, so I moved both groups fast to pinch them quickly. But it turned out most of the AI units were in this location ... and both sides took heavy casualties.
A major Allied victory, but costly.

Saved file is posted below ... it's zipped, so just extract it and put it in the previously mentioned folder. (Commanded Allies)

TLD Open GC 1 1st turn.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  209.68 KB
 Viewed:  19866 Time(s)

TLD Open GC 1 1st turn.JPG

The Longest Day Open GC 1.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  The Longest Day Open GC 1.zip
 Filesize:  80.6 KB
 Downloaded:  553 Time(s)

#5: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: kastaLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 9:21 am
    —
Sounds like alot of fun. Thanks for getting a sound mod! Without a good sound mod you loose that "battle" atmosphere.

#6: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:43 am
    —
One question though, isn't it better if the participators are grouped in two teams as germans and allies. I mean it would be kind of awkward if I played as germans one turn, then as allies the other turn.

Other thing is I think playing against AI idea is good to get only-AI-players involved, but still I think it will disrupt the general game progress.

But your ideas are quite original and maybe I'm wrong and it will be lots of fun, who knows Smile

#7: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:56 pm
    —
kasta wrote (View Post):
Sounds like alot of fun. Thanks for getting a sound mod! Without a good sound mod you loose that "battle" atmosphere.

You're welcome ... thanks for the comments

#8: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:12 pm
    —
Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
One question though, isn't it better if the participators are grouped in two teams as germans and allies. I mean it would be kind of awkward if I played as germans one turn, then as allies the other turn.

Other thing is I think playing against AI idea is good to get only-AI-players involved, but still I think it will disrupt the general game progress.

But your ideas are quite original and maybe I'm wrong and it will be lots of fun, who knows Smile

You're right, it may be best to have Allies and Axis teams ... for now, maybe players could just continue with whichever side they start with. But who's to stop someone from being a double agent  Smile

You may be right too about AI battles, but I still ended up having a decent battle against the AI.
I'd prefer to go against an online opponent though.

#9: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: dadzen PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:46 pm
    —
Must say we are currently testing the idea like here proposed at www.war-game.ucoz.ru
Unfortunately the forum is in russian, but english would be understandable as well.
Random players - quite excellent idea. We have two teams with BG`s fixed for each player and so suffering some problems with dynamic of Grand Campaign.
Being a commander of Allies in that currently played game, I`d like to try my skills at german side in your campaign.

#10: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:24 pm
    —
Had an online battle with "QuietGeorgy", for the second turn.
Ended up an Allied victory, but the Axis put up a tough fight ... superb opponent.

here is the next saved game file: (Allied save)

Description:

Download
 Filesize:  81.2 KB
 Downloaded:  602 Time(s)

#11: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 5:32 am
    —
Sound Mod now available here:

#12: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:23 pm
    —
Wouldn't it be an idea that if someone picks up the save game he just leaves a note in the forums. So, the game is "blocked"...I liked the idea of making teams for Axis and Allies and have this GC fought h2h...as the AI is no real deal for any passionate player...

ChrisC (QuietGeorgey)

#13: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:03 pm
    —
ChrisC wrote (View Post):
Wouldn't it be an idea that if someone picks up the save game he just leaves a note in the forums. So, the game is "blocked"...I liked the idea of making teams for Axis and Allies and have this GC fought h2h...as the AI is no real deal for any passionate player...

ChrisC (QuietGeorgey)

Hi Chris,
I think you and Pzt_Crackwise are right ... human opponents only. No AI

Good idea too about having someway of blocking the next turn, so the battle you are about to play is counted. If this type of campaign gains popularity ... then something will need to be figured out (hint at Matrix).
Blocking my cause problems though, if players don't post back ... then the campaign is jammed, etc.
It's not a problem here yet, since not many are participating ... so the first file back should be the one that counts.

#14: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:14 pm
    —
My Suggestions....

- A player should notify that he has the file out by posting in the thread.
- A player should have about... 6hrs to post the results
- If the 6hrs passes, a moderator shall delete his post saying the file is out thereby opening it up again for other players

#15: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:07 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
My Suggestions....

- A player should notify that he has the file out by posting in the thread.
- A player should have about... 6hrs to post the results
- If the 6hrs passes, a moderator shall delete his post saying the file is out thereby opening it up again for other players

sounds like that is the way to go

#16: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:27 am
    —
The Allies suffered a tough defeat, and lost control of the entire map.
Mooxe joined the Grand Campaign on the Axis side and pinned me down in the bottom left corner of the Le Fiere map.
He had a couple of French tanks, a PAK 40, and what sounded like 3 MG42's.
I'll partly excuse my defeat due to the deployment zone given, but admit mooxe had all the LOS figured. The only small victories for the Allies was a single bazooka soldier got the PAK 40, and the 57mm got a tank, but I had to send a mortar team into an open field as a distraction, as well as another unit further along ... neither escaped  unharmed. The rest was all mooxe.
Tough one for the paratroopers, but I'm sure they faced much worse in real life. Jumping into Normandy in the dark behind enemy lines must have been terrifying ... hats off to all of them.

Mooxe mentioned that it may be best to set a point limit or something to keep things even. I usually just change out one unit.

So for the remainder of this campaign ... please only exchange one unit per battle ... maximum. And just keep the rest as the game deals 'em out.

Thanks for joining in mooxe ... great commander and competitor.

here is the latest saved game file (Allied save):
I'll be back on PM shift this week, so won't able to do much (if any) CC stuff  ... so feel free to grab the file and continue on.

Description:

Download
 Filesize:  81.06 KB
 Downloaded:  499 Time(s)

#17: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:05 pm
    —
I hereby block the GC and will post the Save Game when finished!

EDIT: I played RD_DeathDealer! Unfortunately, and due to my overworked brain I took the wrong saved game and we fought the battles that have already taken place...La Fiere and Amfreville. Stupid, Stupid... Rolling Eyes So no upload here!
Dang!

EDIT EDIT: Please note that the Saved Games are found in the OnGroundFX folder when you have the sound mod installed!!!! That's why I took the wrong file!!!

#18: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:02 pm
    —
ChrisC wrote (View Post):
I hereby block the GC and will post the Save Game when finished!

EDIT: I played RD_DeathDealer! Unfortunately, and due to my overworked brain I took the wrong saved game and we fought the battles that have already taken place...La Fiere and Amfreville. Stupid, Stupid... Rolling Eyes So no upload here!
Dang!

EDIT EDIT: Please note that the Saved Games are found in the OnGroundFX folder when you have the sound mod installed!!!! That's why I took the wrong file!!!

too bad about your problem ... but I guess these things happen in the early stages of new ideas. The mistakes made now may help smooth things out for future players.  Smile

also ... it may be possible to defer some confusion by saving the game after a battle with a number value. I noticed the save game feature doesn't display the current name of the campaign though ... so you would have to make the name shorter (easier to remember) and/or write in down for reference. Example.
"TLD Public GC 1 save 3"
The #1 is the Grand Campaign number (to save confusion with future Campaigns), and the #3 is the save version. Next person is obligated to save it as:
"TLD Public GC 1 save 4"

just an idea ... nothing written in stone.  Cool

Last edited by davidssfx on Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:09 am; edited 1 time in total

#19: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:26 pm
    —
Let's keep this moving ahead logically ... and save the game file as mentioned above.

Next file posted should be "save 4"

Please name next uploaded save file like this ... if possible:

TLD Public GC 1 save 4

Thanks

note: it should also help stop confusion, because you will see the save number version displayed in the battle you open - in game.

#20: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:05 am
    —
Updated instructions for this Campaign have been posted at the top of the first post of this topic.

#21: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:18 am
    —
I like Pzt_Crackwise's idea of picking a side.

Maybe a Team Roster for each side can be made in this string and modifed as players join in- or just play one side on 'the honor system'.

Put me on the Allied team.

I'm glad the decision was made to eliminate single player versus the AI-

It would defeat the purpose, throw the campaign out of whack, and ruin the fun.

Twisted Evil

#22: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:57 am
    —
RD_DeathDealer wrote (View Post):
I like Pzt_Crackwise's idea of picking a side.

Maybe a Team Roster for each side can be made in this string and modifed as players join in- or just play one side on 'the honor system'.

Put me on the Allied team.

Good idea. I'll add a roster under the updated instructions in the first post of this topic ... and update it when required.

Thanks

#23: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: ChrisC PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:31 pm
    —
I played lorman in the Amfreville battle. I had to take Allies as my opponent refused to. Take this as an exception. I did my very best and managed to secure the VL's "to La Fiere" and another one adjacent to it though my DZ was far north.

File attached!

ChrisC(QuietGeorgey)

TLD Public GC 1 save 4.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 save 4.zip
 Filesize:  89.36 KB
 Downloaded:  361 Time(s)

#24: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 4:22 pm
    —
Thanks for holding Amfreville for the Allies Chris  Smile

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total

#25: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:51 pm
    —
It's really nice to see that the whole thing is progressing slowly but steadily. But I am a bit confused about something. Why so you insist on maintaining some amount of points when choosing the teams from the forcepool? And if i have understood correctly, the final decision is to maintain what the game deals out as the battlegroup and exchange only one team. But what's the point in this? I mean if you can not pick your teams according to the map and the tactics you are planning to, then where is the tactics and fun in this?  For example there could only be decided on max allowed tank number points and say it is 5 for instance. Panthers and tigers 1.5 points, all other tanks 1 points. (these are imaginary of course) Halftracks, armored cars  0.5 points or 0 points.

#26: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 10:14 pm
    —
Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
It's really nice to see that the whole thing is progressing slowly but steadily. But I am a bit confused about something. Why so you insist on maintaining some amount of points when choosing the teams from the forcepool? And if i have understood correctly, the final decision is to maintain what the game deals out as the battlegroup and exchange only one team. But what's the point in this? I mean if you can not pick your teams according to the map and the tactics you are planning to, then where is the tactics and fun in this?  For example there could only be decided on max allowed tank number points and say it is 5 for instance. Panthers and tigers 1.5 points, all other tanks 1 points. (these are imaginary of course) Halftracks, armored cars  0.5 points or 0 points.

Hi Pzt_Crackwise,
Thanks for the comments. I'm new to the strat side of this ... so am just trying to come up with some type of fair game play. I'm open to suggestions.
If you come up with a formula similar to the one you mentioned above .... and it's relative to TLD Battle Groups ... then we will go with that.
Thanks

#27: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:00 am
    —
I think players should be able to keep or select units in their battlegroup as they wish.

That way they can plan their units according to their tactics and mission on the map.

Twisted Evil

#28: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:15 am
    —
versus HoleyDooley at Merville Battery

Allied paras landed in an open field and HoleyDooley really took some blood for ground.

Here's the link to the Allied save:

OG_TLD_PublicGC_save 5

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#29: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: MarkM PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:22 am
    —
Okay battle fought. AA guns give a warm welcome to the Commandos.

Cheers,

Mark

TLD Public GC 1 save 5.rar
 Description:
Saved Game.

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 save 5.rar
 Filesize:  54.74 KB
 Downloaded:  370 Time(s)

#30: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:37 pm
    —
I think players should be able to keep or select units in their battlegroup as they wish.

That way they can plan their units according to their tactics and mission on the map.

Twisted Evil

Hi, thanks for your comments.
I've been looking into this a little more ... and think you are right about being able to select the units you want in your Battle Group.
I still would like to keep things fair though, so I suggest:

Select any units you want for your Active Roster from the available Force Pool ... but the BG's point total must remain within the next (rounded up to) 50 points. Example: Enter the Battle Group screen, view points ... (371 pts. Total). Round up to the next 50 ... Maximum points allowed after any changes to the Active Roster (400 pts. Total). Example 2: (502 pts Total) ... round up to the next 50 ... Maximum allowed, (550 pts. Total).

In all the TLD battles I've seen so far ... it appears the developers have given each side a total amount of points that is nearly even. So rounding up to the next 50 will keep this designed fairness.
Some BG's have lots of high value assets available in their Force Pool, while the opposing BG has very little or none. Without a points limit, in this situation, the points spread could potentially be far too big.

With this limit system you will have to sacrifice quantity for quality ... if desired. Example: if you want a high valued asset, like a tank, then you will probably have to remove other units of less value to stay under the limit.

So I'll go ahead and make this change and see how it works. Comments/suggestions welcome.

#31: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:14 pm
    —
Also ... please post the outcome of the battle as described in the "Battle Debrief" screen.
Example: Decisive German Victory
Or post a screen shot of it.

I'm working on a Campaign Debriefing screen that can be updated with weekly results, and would like to add a generic description of each battle (the TLD description works well for this), along with players names, and map name.

Thanks

#32: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: Priapus PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:07 am
    —
Hey, I'd like to get involved if you guys are still taking on recruits. I'd prefer to play as the Germans if that's possible.

Cheers, Priapus

#33: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:13 am
    —
A Campaign results screen has been added to the first post of this topic.

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:22 am; edited 3 times in total

#34: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:16 am
    —
Priapus wrote (View Post):
Hey, I'd like to get involved if you guys are still taking on recruits. I'd prefer to play as the Germans if that's possible.

Cheers, Priapus

Hi Priapus,
Everyone is welcome  :)

You've been added to the German Team Roster.

#35: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:32 am
    —
Just figured out I've been using an outdated beta patch instead of the latest retail one ... may have caused some problems with connection or something. Sorry for my goof up ... got it all straightened out now (thanks to schrecken and panzerlehr62).

Make sure you use the 5.50.07 patch
and not the 5.50.07b

#36: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:26 am
    —
versus the Davidssfx at Pegasus Bridge-

Paras did well and made some ground...

Link to Allied save:

Allied Save #6

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total

#37: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:47 am
    —
Switched and went as German side, due to lack of players when I'm available. Tried my best, but couldn't hold back RD_DD ... he's excellent at suppression and maneuvers!

I'll post the German side save below

note: next turn requires Strategic movement

TLD Public GC 1 save 6.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 save 6.zip
 Filesize:  84.47 KB
 Downloaded:  337 Time(s)

#38: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:00 pm
    —
The Allied Airborne phase of the invasion is well under way ... and now the Seaborne invasion has begun.
4th Infantry Division is first to hit the beaches at Uncle Red of Utah.

ChrisC (QuietGeorgey) commanded the German defenders, and held the important Exit off the beach.
The Allies took casualties from mortar fire as they neared the seawall, and met stiff resistance trying to assault and capture a building. Mines also did a lot of damage to the infantry, and a Sherman was lost to an anti tank gun hidden in the hedges.
Valuable ground was gained, but the cost was high.

remembered to save a screen shot to paint this time

TLD Public GC 1 save 7 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.29 KB
 Viewed:  9518 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 7 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 7.zip
 Description:
Attached is the Allied save 7.

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 save 7.zip
 Filesize:  108.55 KB
 Downloaded:  419 Time(s)

#39: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:41 am
    —
Nice One-

7A_ Priapus wants to be on the Allied side...

Can you remove him from the Axis and add him to the Allies please-

Thanks

#40: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:28 am
    —
Welcome to the Allies ... 7A_ Priapus  Smile

Also, Campaign Debrief map (in first post of topic) has been updated.

#41: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:38 pm
    —
hOsTyLe (TITI) joined the Campaign as the German defenders at Tare Green, Utah Beach.

The battle began with an instant immobilizing AT round to one of the DD's. For some reason the Allied 81mm mortar wouldn't set up to fire smoke or HE rounds ... but the other DD was able to fire at the AT position. All infantry units moved towards the sea wall in three groups. MG bunker fire kept some back while others gained ground and cover.
The other DD was  targeted by the AT gun, after knocking out the first. The exchange of fire between the AT gun and DD, ended with another knocked out Sherman, but finally the 81mm mortar lobbed some heavy stuff at the AT position and knocked it out within minutes.

Two infantry groups pushed ahead to engage MG's and units of German defenders woven into the hedges, at the two near beach VL's. Suppression fire and combined assaults from different angles were unable to remove these two groups, and both sides counted mounting casualties ... higher Allied.

Meanwhile the third Allied group (without a command unit) found a seam in the defenses, and exhausted themselves moving across map length distance to capture the inland VL's. They gathered themselves together and moved into a rear attack on one of the surrounded German pockets, but the battle ended close to the 30 minute time limit, due to both sides becoming too exhausted.
Very interesting, and hard found battle.  
Welcome to the Campaign hOsTyLe.

TLD Public GC 1 save 8 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 8 debrief
 Filesize:  201.98 KB
 Viewed:  10499 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 8 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 8.zip
 Description:
Allied save 8

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 save 8.zip
 Filesize:  108.93 KB
 Downloaded:  384 Time(s)

#42: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:57 am
    —
Hooked up with 7A_ Priapus at St. Germain De Varreville for a continuation of this map's battle.
A real tough grind for both sides ... very interesting and extremely hard fought battle.
Welcome to the Campaign 7A_ Priapus.

TLD Public GC 1 save 9 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 9 debrief
 Filesize:  215.58 KB
 Viewed:  10479 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 9 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 9.zip
 Description:
Allied save 9

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 save 9.zip
 Filesize:  107.68 KB
 Downloaded:  380 Time(s)

#43: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:53 pm
    —
Hooked up with cOMRADvZAD (t_tartarean) at St Marie Du Mont for a continuation of that map's battle.
A hard fought battle
Welcome to the Campaign cOMRADvZAD  :)

also ... Campaign Results Strategic map (in first post) updated to save 10

TLD Public GC 1 save 10 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 10 debrief
 Filesize:  197.47 KB
 Viewed:  10459 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 10 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC save 10.zip
 Description:
Allied save 10

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC save 10.zip
 Filesize:  106.9 KB
 Downloaded:  344 Time(s)

#44: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:08 pm
    —
I got manhandled by hOsTyLe..........

Save 11.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.64 KB
 Viewed:  10445 Time(s)

Save 11.jpg

TLD Public GC Save 11.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC Save 11.zip
 Filesize:  100.23 KB
 Downloaded:  335 Time(s)

#45: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:53 pm
    —
Add me to Allies please!?

#46: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:58 am
    —
namztukxam wrote (View Post):
Add me to Allies please!?

Will do ... welcome to the Campaign  Smile

#47: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:27 pm
    —
The invasion continues, as the 116/29 ID came ashore at Dog Green Omaha.
cOMRADvZAD (_tartarean) commanded the shore defences.
Another hard fought battle ... major Allied victory, ended near time out with both sides exhausted.

TLD Public GC 1 save 12 map view.jpg
 Description:
map view debrief save 12
 Filesize:  141.89 KB
 Viewed:  10708 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 12 map view.jpg

TLD Public GC1 save 12.zip
 Description:
Allied save 12

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 12.zip
 Filesize:  107.02 KB
 Downloaded:  362 Time(s)

#48: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:12 am
    —
added a printable starter checklist ... to help get you started.

See bottom of first post in this topic.

#49: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:41 am
    —
Versus hOsTyLe at Dog Red

We hit the beaches and immediately our 2 Shermans were engaged by PaK fire from a bunker on the hill. We hit that bunker with Artillery, MG suppressive fire, Sherman 75mm gun fire and a pair of 60mm mortars blasting away...but could not stop it. After losing our tanks, it was easy for the Germans to pick our men off on the beach.

Versus hOsTyLe at Easy Red

None of our DD tanks were able to participate in this bloodbath on the beach. Another battle that cost us dearly for ground.

A fine defense by hOsTyLe.

Here's the link to the Allied save:

Allied save #14

#50: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 am
    —
Continued the Omaha landings with hOsTyLe ... Fox Green and then over to Pointe Du Hoc.
Both were brutal defeats for the Allies ... very well defended by hOsTyLe.
Don't know how we're ever going to get off these Omaha beaches. Shocked

TLD Public GC 1 save 16 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  172.07 KB
 Viewed:  10650 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 16 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 15 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  182.3 KB
 Viewed:  10652 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 15 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 16.zip
 Description:
Allied save 16

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 16.zip
 Filesize:  106.18 KB
 Downloaded:  373 Time(s)

#51: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:06 am
    —
Yikes, should have quit while I was a bit behind.  Smile
Took a last look at Hamanchi and saw lorman ... so off we went to continue the battle at Merville Battery.
I made a big mistake of putting 5 or 6 units in the houses shared or near German held VL's. Of course lorman stacked the area with his troops and lined up MG fire on the buildings from further out. Was some serious fighting going on.
The other side of the map near the Pegasus Bridge exit ... laid some serious suppression on an AT gun and troops, and then rushed and overtook the position.
Meanwhile back at the houses ... things weren't going too well, and the Germans smoked and rushed one of the buildings and the Allies units were lost. The Allies called for a Naval barrage that did some damage to those advancing soldiers, but there was enough to take out the rest of the Allied units.
The units on the other side could have just moved back to the Pegasus Bridge VL and been happy to have gained the high ground VL with trenches and gun pit ... but I tried moving a few units to the back of the battery, and after taking some fire, decided to move back to Peg Bridge VL. I had also sent a MG team to aid the failing units at the houses, but it was too late, and they got picked off in the field.
At that time Allied moral broke and two VL's under my control were conceded by the game, and was left only the high ground VL.
Got to greedy ... and panicked trying to save the other group. Sorry Allied team for the lost ground.
Lorman defended well.
I'm about to have a morale break myself ... lol  Smile

TLD Public GC 1 save 17 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.32 KB
 Viewed:  10566 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 17 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 17.zip
 Description:
Allied save 17

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 17.zip
 Filesize:  105.74 KB
 Downloaded:  339 Time(s)

#52: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:11 am
    —
QUESTION: Are we using the "VL" rule in regards to deployment?

VL Rule: A player may only deploy forces in setup areas that are solidly (or 'block') connected to a VL under friendly control. Areas touching by corner only are not considered to be connected. Example of what would be allowed in a German deploy (Green=yes, Red=no):

#53: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 am
    —
QUESTION: Are we using the "VL" rule in regards to deployment?

VL Rule: A player may only deploy forces in setup areas that are solidly (or 'block') connected to a VL under friendly control. Areas touching by corner only are not considered to be connected. Example of what would be allowed in a German deploy (Green=yes, Red=no):

Hi,
Please excuse my newbie mistake ... lorman asked me about this, but I didn't know what he was talking about.
By the looks of your image explanation ... I could have saved myself a lot of loss using those rules.

Let's use the rules as you have stated. Thanks for the explanation RD_DD.

Here is the map before our battle:
I should not have deployed anything in the houses ... if I knew about those rules.

Added your VL rule explanation to the first post  ... number 11)

TLD Public GC 1 save 5 map view.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  91.11 KB
 Viewed:  10549 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 5 map view.jpg

#54: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:23 pm
    —
hOsTyLe vs. namztukxam

Met with hOsTyLe at Ouistreham.  After being all but routed in our last battle and seeing some of the recent allied results, I decided to be very patient and just gain a good foothold for next turn.  Great defense by hOsTyLe!

TLD Public GC 1 save 17.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.13 KB
 Viewed:  10525 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 17.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 Save 18.zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 18.zip
 Filesize:  100.66 KB
 Downloaded:  306 Time(s)

#55: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:30 am
    —
namztukxam wrote (View Post):
hOsTyLe vs. namztukxam

After being all but routed in our last battle and seeing some of the recent allied results, I decided to be very patient and just gain a good foothold for next turn.

Good strategy namztukxam ... I was thinking of doing the same myself, next time in. It's not worth taking the chance of having a morale failure, resulting in the loss of hard fought VL's.

#56: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:25 am
    —
To keep things moving, fought 2 battles as Axis - did my best...

Versus Davidssfx at Sword Beach

Tough fight for beachfront property on this famous beach.
Allies broke morale when their AVRE struck an anti-tank mine and went up in flames.

Versus Davidssfx at Pegasus Bridge

Ost was outgunned but put up a heroic defense. Davidssfx used a combined arms approach to secure the bridges and a classic bayonet charge to wipe out Osttruppen in the hedgerows.

Here is the AXIS save:

Axis save #20

Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

#57: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:53 am
    —
Still haven't learned how to survive a beach attack ... lol.
Excellent defender though ... RD_DD.
Very tough and interesting battles.

TLD Public GC1 save 20.zip
 Description:
Allied save 20

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 20.zip
 Filesize:  106.06 KB
 Downloaded:  330 Time(s)

#58: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:48 pm
    —
namztukxam vs lorman

Juno Beach:  
lorman defended the Chateau brilliantly!  established valuable beach head.

Gold Beach:
Great placement by lorman of AT guns!  pushed allied line to hedgerow.

gc 21.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.94 KB
 Viewed:  10464 Time(s)

gc 21.jpg

gc 20.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.17 KB
 Viewed:  10464 Time(s)

gc 20.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 save 21 (Allied).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 save 21 (Allied).zip
 Filesize:  99.77 KB
 Downloaded:  297 Time(s)

#59: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:21 pm
    —
lorman and I continued the Campaign at the beach of Arromanches.
Some shore-side real estate was gained by cautious Allied movement, due to an eerie silence from German controlled buildings closest to the beach. Next Allied turn here beware, cause I think there is still a sizable German presence lurking.

Last edited by davidssfx on Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:30 am; edited 1 time in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 22 debrief.JPG
 Description:
debrief save 22
 Filesize:  189.06 KB
 Viewed:  10452 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 22 debrief.JPG

#60: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:28 am
    —
The second Strategic turn was administered by hOsTyLe (Axis side) and myself.
After movement and support was decided upon ... the first of second wave Allied forces battled to secure the Uncle Red beach.

TLD Public GC 1 save 23 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 23 debrief
 Filesize:  203.34 KB
 Viewed:  10451 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 23 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 23.zip
 Description:
Allied save 23

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 23.zip
 Filesize:  119.19 KB
 Downloaded:  287 Time(s)

#61: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:09 am
    —
Hooked up with hOsTyLe for a couple battles.
First one at Tare Green, where the Allies secured the beach.

The other at St Germain De Varreville. Attacked with over confidence and took heavy losses ... buildings were well defended with MG's. Near the end of the battle, when Allied units were worn down ... Germans launched a counter offensive, gaining back some ground. It ended as a Minor Allied Victory, but was really a defeat.
Very tough battle.

TLD Public GC 1 save 24 debrief.JPG
 Description:
Allied save 24
 Filesize:  201.83 KB
 Viewed:  10126 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 24 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 25 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 25 debrief
 Filesize:  195.28 KB
 Viewed:  10127 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 25 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 25.zip
 Description:
Allied save 25

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 25.zip
 Filesize:  118.28 KB
 Downloaded:  329 Time(s)

#62: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:24 pm
    —
Versus Mooxe at Amfreville

Deployed the majority of paratroopers in the buildings and hedges to the south. Mooxe deployed his infantry throughout the same area in the rest of the buildings. When the battle started, bullets and schrapnel were flying everywhere. The paras had one command squad (The BG was near empty) running the show and during the entire battle he was suppressed in a building. The MG42s proved too much on this day- the BG was disbanded and Jerry secured their depot.

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:41 am; edited 4 times in total

TLD_PubGC_save26.zip
 Description:
Allied save #26rn

Download
 Filename:  TLD_PubGC_save26.zip
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Downloaded:  375 Time(s)

#63: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:36 pm
    —
Deathdealer is currently getting his arse whooped by me.

#64: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:07 pm
    —
GG. Early lead with a mortar taking out an ATG or Howitzer in a building. I placed two MG42s with LOS to the houses in the south, three or four MG Gren teams as well. I kept my disorganized Gren MG team in the rear building. As the battle started, DD had a massive force within and around the buildings. I had to bring another MG42 down to bear. Inside the building witht he destroyed ATG I spotted a Command Team with an Officer as leader. All guns went to focus on that team until it was wiped out. All the kills were happening inside house so it was hard totell how well I was doing, I could just watch the morale meter sink for Allies. As the fight for the buildings went South for Allied, DD send a few teams up the East hedgerows. They were spotted early, mortars were brought in for a couple kills. Two command and two gren MG teams jockeyed for new positions to take on the two para teams advancing North up the East hedgerows. They were knocked out.

DD's zook team started firing in the forward most building facing the ATG hulk that I had four teams stacked in, which included two MG42s, Command and Gren team remenants. The swooshing sound is unnerving as you know it always ends with atleast one scream.

The battle ended soon after with morale loss to Allies. GG DD.

save26.jpg
 Description:
Save 26 results
 Filesize:  225.86 KB
 Viewed:  10098 Time(s)

save26.jpg

[Ger Host]TLD Public GC1 save 26.gc
 Description:
Save 26 as German Host

Download
 Filename:  [Ger Host]TLD Public GC1 save 26.gc
 Filesize:  1.69 MB
 Downloaded:  368 Time(s)

#65: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 5:21 am
    —
Note: last save should have been 27 ... but no problem. I will correct it this next save.
The corresponding battle to save number fell back one, a while ago ... and just noticed it while updating the Strat results map.
If you have two or more battles ... remember to count them in the save number so they stay aligned. Thanks

Hooked up with 7A_ Priapus at Dog Green.
German forces had been reduced to just several units during the first battle on this map, so the Allied forces quickly secured this map.

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:10 am; edited 3 times in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 28 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 28 debrief
 Filesize:  204.23 KB
 Viewed:  10074 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 28 debrief.JPG

#66: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:41 am
    —
Continued on with 7A_ Priapus at Dog Red ... where things didn't go so well for the Allies.

MG's from houses and cement bunkers tore up the beach until morale broke ... and the entire map was lost. No where to run, no where to hide. Well defended.

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 29 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 29 debrief
 Filesize:  176.15 KB
 Viewed:  9971 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 29 debrief.JPG

#67: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:42 am
    —
Again with 7A_ Priapus ... this time at Easy Red.
Previous Allied commander had secured several small bunker type things, which were used this time to lessen the damage of AT and MG cross fire.
Lost some ground, but gained a small foothold at a south VL, that might help next turn.
Tough battle ... well defended again.
Allies didn't break morale this time ...  :)

also, Campaign Debrief Strategic Map updated to save 30 (see first post)

TLD Public GC 1 save 30 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 30 debrief
 Filesize:  180.2 KB
 Viewed:  9968 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 30 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 30.zip
 Description:
Allied save 30

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 30.zip
 Filesize:  114.94 KB
 Downloaded:  370 Time(s)

#68: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 6:43 pm
    —
This may make an interesting comparison

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2144335

#69: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:38 pm
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):
This may make an interesting comparison

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2144335

Thanks for the link ... interesting.

#70: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:10 pm
    —
Had a couple of battles with namztukxam ... first one at Fox Green.
Allies were able to secure most of the map ... great battle, and well defended.

Second battle was at Pointe Du Hoc. Decided to be way more cautious this time, but still got chewed up pretty bad. Started with a less than full BG with only one command team.
Was able to secure more beach, for better access to the cliffs for next battle.
Well defended again

Last edited by davidssfx on Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 31 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.6 KB
 Viewed:  9887 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 31 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 32 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  174.38 KB
 Viewed:  9887 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 32 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 32.zip
 Description:
Allied save 32

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 32.zip
 Filesize:  114.35 KB
 Downloaded:  365 Time(s)

#71: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:39 pm
    —
Played two battles as Axis against davidssfx, forgot to save screen shot.... sorry Sad  Here is the Axis save though.

TLD Public GC 1 Save 32 (Axis).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 32 (Axis).zip
 Filesize:  107.79 KB
 Downloaded:  345 Time(s)

#72: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:32 pm
    —
Hooked up with hOsTyLe for a return to Merville Battery, where last time I got hammered and just about lost the map.
Still took some losses this time, but was able to regain some ground from all the mistakes I'd made previously.
Even with much less points the Germans were able to hold off any real Allied gains into the Battery or buildings.

I had naval support available, but didn't want to waste it on small scattered groups.

Great battle ... wElL dEfEnDeD

TLD Public GC 1 save 33 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 33 debrief
 Filesize:  181.72 KB
 Viewed:  9882 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 33 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 33.zip
 Description:
Allied save 33

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 33.zip
 Filesize:  114.94 KB
 Downloaded:  320 Time(s)

#73: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:24 am
    —
Had a couple of great battles with stiener on the Allied side.
I switched to the German side due some connection problems, but did my best to hold back the Allied advance.

First at Ouistreham, where German morale broke after the Allies secured two more VL's. Screen shot didn't work, but I think it was a Minor Allied Victory.

And then at Sword Beach. Allies pounded the buildings with two tanks as infantry crawled in, and eventually overtook the northern buildings.
Very hard fought battle ... ending with both sides exhausted.
Welcome to the Campaign stiener. I'll add you to the Axis side, if that's OK (I've got to get back to the Allies).

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 34 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 34 debrief
 Filesize:  155.65 KB
 Viewed:  9856 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 34 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 35 debrief.JPG
 Description:
save 35 debrief
 Filesize:  178.27 KB
 Viewed:  9856 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 35 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 35.zip
 Description:
Axis save 35

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 35.zip
 Filesize:  114.2 KB
 Downloaded:  323 Time(s)

#74: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:17 am
    —
TLD public 35 game file gents.......not you DD  Shocked

the allies have a good foot hold on Gold beach now...i think it was gold..could have been sword......

TLD PUBLIC 35.zip
 Description:
allied game file

Download
 Filename:  TLD PUBLIC 35.zip
 Filesize:  114.19 KB
 Downloaded:  327 Time(s)

#75: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:47 pm
    —
Hooked up with namztukxam for two matches.
First at Pegasus Bridge, where the Allies finally overwhelmed the defenders with numbers and force. Defenders put up a fight, but didn't stand a chance.

Next, over to Juno Beach.
Two DD's were taken out quickly, but both big ATG's were lost to the German defenders as well, with a combo DD and mortar fire.
Tried to gain ground without tank support, but again ... fierce MG fire from buildings proved too much, and Allies morale broke under the weight of suppression.
Excellent defense.

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 36 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.07 KB
 Viewed:  9837 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 36 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 37 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  158.47 KB
 Viewed:  9837 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 37 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 37.zip
 Description:
Allied save 37

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 37.zip
 Filesize:  113.47 KB
 Downloaded:  318 Time(s)

#76: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:38 pm
    —
had two battles vs davidssfx:

lost it all at Pegasus Bridge :(

defended well on one of the beaches :)

Here is the latest Axis save

TLD Public GC 1 Save 37 (Axis).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 37 (Axis).zip
 Filesize:  107.02 KB
 Downloaded:  301 Time(s)

#77: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:56 am
    —
edit ... posted stuff a post or two down

Last edited by davidssfx on Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:51 am; edited 2 times in total

#78: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:08 am
    —
Permanently made the switch over to the Axis side...

Versus Davidssfx at Gold Beach

British armor proved to be too tough for the 50mm PaK guns to stop. Davidssfx's Centaur IV was like a rampaging dragon, moving wherever it wanted on the beach and gobbling up Osttruppen. Morale loss cost the Axis the road to the west of the pillboxes.

Here's the link to the Axis save file:

Axis save #38

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

#79: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:12 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at Arromanches

Skirmish between the remaining Osttruppen of WN43 and the soldiers of 50th British Infantry Division.
Morale broke rather quickly when the Tommie tanks arrived...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Versus Davidssfx at St. Germain-De-Varreville

For 29 minutes and 58 seconds, this was an out small arms contest between the Wehrmacht and U.S. Paratroopers.
With 2 seconds remaining, German morale broke and the ground we gained became the ground we lost.
Tough fight- Davidssfx demonstrated top notch infantry tactics on this day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here's the link to the Axis save:

Axis save #40

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:10 am; edited 2 times in total

#80: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:05 am
    —
Had a few hard fought battles with RD_DD ... after the second, it was time for the next strategic move.

RD_DD has moved to the German side permanently, and stiener has joined that roster also.
Just trying to get more games in, with players that can match up.

We negotiated some new rules:
1) no viewing the others strategic map
2) only permanent team members can make strategic moves, so no more switching sides ... for the most part anyway :)

RD_DD has the screen shots for the above battles ... I'll post the Allied save below.

edit: Thanks for posting the screens ... very interesting and tough battles. cya next time

TLD Public GC1 save 40.zip
 Description:
Alled save 40

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 40.zip
 Filesize:  118.59 KB
 Downloaded:  298 Time(s)

#81: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:58 pm
    —
A few notes about the last three battles:

The German BG's at both Gold Beach and Arromanches were worn down from previous battles.
At Gold Beach there was still a ATG presence though ... and caution was used to locate and pick them off.
The German ATG's were very well placed, and disabled a DD Sherman early on. Fortunately, it was behind a hedge with LOS to some of German controlled area. Once one or two ATG's were destroyed or damaged, a Centaur IV moved from behind its hedge position and was able to advance up the main road and manhandle any resistance. The Centaur IV was a very effective tank for this type of attack ... the HE rounds are less suited for knocking out ATG's, but its turret and good armor are very advantageous.
It was a tense battle and  well defended ... with casualties to exposed infantry searching to gain LOS on the ATG positions, and MG fire from in and around bunkers.

The German BG at Arromanches had been reduced to all but a few units in the previous battle, and was a given that this area would fall to the Allied advance. Still required some heavy but short lived fighting.

The battle at St Germain De Varreville was pretty evenly matched ... with all infantry and an ATG gun each.
I had taken some bad losses on this map already, and needed to be less aggressive to control any further setbacks.
An unexpected, near last second, morale break for the Germans resulted in favorable gain for the Allies, but the battle was hard fought on both sides.
One of the best battles I've had so far in the Campaingn (imo).
This is a really interesting map ... and BG's in TLD make for great battles due to more realistic (less) quantity of tanks to infantry ratio.

#82: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:43 am
    —
davidssfx vs namztukxam

Hedgerow Hell!!!!  I moved too slowly and cautiously, allowing allies to gain important ground.  davidssfx attacked through hedgerows brilliantly.

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.76 KB
 Viewed:  10459 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 Save 41 (Axis).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 41 (Axis).zip
 Filesize:  112.82 KB
 Downloaded:  385 Time(s)

#83: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:34 am
    —
Another tough infantry battle in the hedges of Normandy ... hooked up with namztukxam at St Come Du Mont.
A very tense, back and forth battle. Namz just about broke through my lines on several occasions ... I'm not sure he knows how close it was ... yikes.

Last edited by davidssfx on Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:43 am; edited 2 times in total

#84: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:41 am
    —
namztukxam vs 7A_Priapus

Hard fought battle, Priapus had crummy attacking position.

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  115.88 KB
 Viewed:  10450 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 Save 42 (Ally).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 42 (Ally).zip
 Filesize:  112.62 KB
 Downloaded:  386 Time(s)

#85: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:01 am
    —
Just had a marathon series of battles with RD_DD ... for me, at this time of day anyway Smile
Too much to talk about ... just tons of tanks and halftracks, etc ... lol
Seriously though ... some tough, hard fought battles. One was just a final clearing of the area, another a cat and mouse trench game ... the other two were rough going.
Thanks again RD_DD

TLD Public GC1 save 46.zip
 Description:
Allied save 46

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 46.zip
 Filesize:  117.71 KB
 Downloaded:  367 Time(s)

#86: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:34 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at Easy Red

Allied second wave stopped cold on the hills by lethal PaK, machinegun, and rifle fire from German pillboxes.
Valiant attempt by the Allies to take the hill.

Versus Davidssfx at Fox Green

German mortar team tried to hold off the entire American assault on this beach.
Short fight ended with German prisoners...

Versus Davidssfx at Pointe Du Hoc

Battle featured a machinegun duel between pillboxes and both sides taking ground by sneaking around in trenches.

Versus Davidssfx at Merville Battery

Americans clear the southern buildings after a bloody firefight.
A rifle contest in the north eventually ended in morale failure for Germans.

Link to the Axis save file:

Axis save #46

Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil  Twisted Evil

#87: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:24 am
    —
Lots of action back at Pegasus bridge ... RD_DD is moving some heavy stuff across the bridge from Troarn, and I'm not sure if the Airborne will be able to hold next time around.

TLD Public GC1 save 48.zip
 Description:
Allied save 48

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 48.zip
 Filesize:  117.58 KB
 Downloaded:  385 Time(s)

#88: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:24 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at Ouistreham

We wheeled our one remaining PaK gun into place on the north road VL and waited for Tommie to arrive.
As we drank our steins filled with beer and gulped down French wine, we watched Tommie running from building to building securing Ouistreham.
When the time came, we let loose as much hell as we could on the Brits - killing some- but ultimately a well placed shot from a Sherman Crab knocked out our gun.
The wounded survivors from our crew fled into the local fields and luckily Krauss brought the last wine bottle with him...
we heard 21st Panzer was headed our way...

Versus Davidssfx at Pegasus Bridge

Hitler ordered us to stay back and wait for the Brits in Caen- I decided to ignore his order and counterattack Pegasus Bridge.
As soon as the battle started bullets and mortar fire were everywhere. Screams of dying soldiers filled the air. Confusion set in.
We attacked forward into the hedges and met face to face with the paras of the 6th Airborne Division.
A war of attrition followed, but ultimately we were able to expand our bridgehead enough for operations to resume.

Here's the link to the save file:

Axis Save #48

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

#89: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:53 pm
    —
namztukxam vs lorman

finally making progress off of the beach.  Great defense by lorman.

Untitled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  116.6 KB
 Viewed:  10370 Time(s)

Untitled.jpg

TLD Public GC 1 Save 49 (Ally).zip
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC 1 Save 49 (Ally).zip
 Filesize:  111.1 KB
 Downloaded:  390 Time(s)

#90: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:59 am
    —
Hooked up with 7A_ Priapus for a couple.
Started at Gold Beach, which I thought would be easy to secure ... but moved with over confidence and without proper smoke cover. Resulted in a lost Sherman as well as infantry.
Battle ended with an Allied morale failure ... so some lost ground too.
Someone with a little smarts should be able to clear this beach next time ... keep an eye out for that ATG though.
Well done on defense.

Next it was off to Arromanches.
It was just a formality of clearing a unit or two before securing the map. Didn't get a screen shot of this one, but its self explanatory anyway.

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:31 am; edited 2 times in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 49 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.06 KB
 Viewed:  10343 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 49 debrief.JPG

#91: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:02 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at St. Germain De Varreville

The Allies moved in the 8th Regiment/4th Infantry Division to clear the town and dispose of our veteran 919th Regiment/709th Infantry. The battle featured numerous skirmishes in the town and through the hedgerows in the south. Ultimately our forces lost morale due to efforts of a well managed DD Sherman.

Axis Save #51

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:35 pm; edited 3 times in total

#92: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:50 am
    —
Strategic moves and support were decided, and the next series of battles began.

Another extremely tough battle at St. Germain De Varreville.
Decided to bring in some 4th ID guys with their extra fire power to clear this map, and give the U.S. Airborne BG a well deserved rest. This resulted in most of the map going neutral, one corner (south west) for Allied, and two northern corners for German forces. Thus, an effort to recapture ground.
The German units moved swiftly ... holding back advances into the center buildings with the help of a well placed ATG. Both sides scrambled to support a major skirmish for control of south eastern VL.
Tough on both sides, but strategically ... this German BG has been cut off, and now even more worn down.
Very well defended by RD_DD.

note: I goofed up the save count during the Strategic moves stage ... last save should be 51, next save 52.
I've corrected the Allied save here to 51, from the previously posted 52.

RD_DD's save (in the post before this one) should be save 51

also, Campaign Results Strategic Map updated to save 51

TLD Public GC1 save 51.zip
 Description:
Allied save 51

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 51.zip
 Filesize:  120.48 KB
 Downloaded:  339 Time(s)

#93: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:28 pm
    —
Some more rules.
Sorry, but since the success of a Campaign involves strategic moves and placement of support ... it seems necessary to devise a system suitable for a Public Campaign, that addresses Strategic move turns.

Therefore, I suggest this ... and will include it in the first post, where rules are listed.

The Team Roster is divided into two categories:

1) Regular players:
a) Must play only one side
b) May take Strategic move turns. If you are unsure of how to take a Strategic move turn (or don't want to) ... then just wait for another Regular player to do it.
c) Can not view opponent's Strategic map (via opponent's save files)
d) plays a least one battle per week

2) Casual Players:
a) may play both sides ... if no other choice is available, but make an effort to play just one side.
b) Should not take Strategic move turns. Please wait for a Regular player to take Strategic turns.
c) make an effort to not view Strategic overview of opposing side

I'll will adjust the Team Rosters ... everyone is considered a Casual player, until they request to be a Regular player.

Thanks
David

Last edited by davidssfx on Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total

#94: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:53 pm
    —
Hooked up with hOsTyLe at St. Marcouf.
Germans had us pinned down pretty good in the corner ...  got hit hard with a StuG and MG fire.
Was able to seek around and capture some valuable staging ground for next turn though ... hehe.
great dEfEnSe

TLD Public GC 1 save 52 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  187.25 KB
 Viewed:  10462 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 52 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 52.zip
 Description:
Allied save 52

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 52.zip
 Filesize:  119.85 KB
 Downloaded:  346 Time(s)

#95: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:15 am
    —
Regular Player me up please!

#96: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:02 am
    —
Hooked up with RD_DD for a couple.
Very interesting and hard fought battles, with lots of maneuvering and skirmishes.

Thanks again for posting the screen shots

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total

TLD Public GC1 save 54.zip
 Description:
Allied save 54

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 54.zip
 Filesize:  118.63 KB
 Downloaded:  313 Time(s)

#97: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:02 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at St. Come Du Mont

Regt. 6 Fallschirmjager set up strictly for defense in the buildings and hedges around the town and waited for the Americans to approach. Once they arrived, the hedgerows were blazing with small arms fire. After 15 minutes of fighting, our schweres MG42 fell silent from lack of ammo - while the American .30 cals kept firing! It became tough at this point, but our Fallschirmjager held their ground.

Versus Davidssfx at Pont L' Abby

Ostruppen set up defenses all through the hedges and waited to ambush the American Paras. A clever flank attack to the southwest caught our soldiers off guard and forced us to shift our troops to the west. We lost morale after a duel between our Marder and an 57mm AT gun resulted in a flaming tank. Tough setback for the Germans.

Here's the Axis save:

Axis Save #54

Hats off to Davidssfx for his skillful infantry maneuvers- tough indeed.

#98: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:08 pm
    —
Just throwing this out there...

I am against the 'point' constraints to the BGs. If you have it in your BG, you should be able to use it. When the crack German BGs eventually arrive, they will be weakened by the point system...and this will probably cause the Germans to lose this campaign (Steiner brought this up and I agree with him).

It's just an opinion.

Does anyone else agree with me on this?

Twisted Evil

#99: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:34 pm
    —

I am against the 'point' constraints to the BGs. If you have it in your BG, you should be able to use it. When the crack German BGs eventually arrive, they will be weakened by the point system...and this will probably cause the Germans to lose this campaign (Steiner brought this up and I agree with him).

It's just an opinion.

Twisted Evil

I understand where steiner is coming from ... but since I haven't played that far into the campaign before, I can't agree/disagree without more information about what points are given each side during those battles.

The obvious reasons for an Active roster points limit is ... to promote somewhat balanced game play, with historical based qualities.
The game designers have done an excellent job of arranging this in my opinion.
Let's look at the facts:

1) Points allocated by the game for each battle varies slightly ... to either favor one side or be equal, depending on the historical background of the certain area.

2) The depth of a BG's Force Pool varies also, depending on the historical background of the certain area.

After playing the GC thus far ... I am extremely pleased with the design of the game concerning:
1) Points allocated per battle
2) BG Force Pool depth
3) Unit types available in each BG.

Compare the German BG's of Utah beach and Omaha ... and see how the Utah beach German BG's are exhausted much sooner than those at Utah (historically correct).
Also notice the greater depth of the Allied BG's coming ashore at the beaches. The Allies will eventually wear down the German BG's due to their superior depth. For the player defending the beaches ... the goal is to keep them from capturing the beaches for as long as possible.
Take Juno and Easy Red for example ... they have required three or four battles to capture them. Sometimes defended by 2 or 3 ATG's in protected bunkers with multiple MG's and infantry units in bunkers and trenches ... mostly on high ground. This against Allied units coming ashore with no cover.
This to me seems historically correct ... but I wouldn't want to make it take many more battles than this to get off the beach. One beach in this campaign was totally captured by the defending German BG.
Let's look at St. Germaine De Varreville ... opposing BG's were very even in depth and so were the points allocated by the game. So far there have been five battles there, with the advantage going to the German BG (imo) since they have the high power MG units. The fifth battle I brought in the 4TH ID to get some more firepower (a tank), and still it will require another battle to secure this map.
If both original BG's fought on this one map (while kept in supply - and with the the point limit) ... I think the German BG would have a better chance of winning.

So, from reviewing some of these above mentioned battles ...  I think a "points limit" based on the game's allocated amounts, seems like a fair system.
I'm open to ideas, but I don't think unlimited points would be better.

Is it possible for the Germans to win the campaign with this system? ... I don't know. Maybe these high powered German BG's that become available will have more depth in their Force Pools, which will even things out more.
The biggest thing I see that will determine the outcome though, is ... how each battle is played, picking an advantageous entry point to attack a map, cutting enemy supply, and maintaining your own supply.

Just some thoughts

Last edited by davidssfx on Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:28 am; edited 5 times in total

#100: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 pm
    —

It's just an opinion.

Twisted Evil

The points restriction is more of a layer of protection to a public GC. If you do not restrict random public players from choosing (and losing) all the high value units then this could ruin the game for others. Now this hasnt been proven, its just a theory.

#101: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:57 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

It's just an opinion.

Twisted Evil

The points restriction is more of a layer of protection to a public GC. If you do not restrict random public players from choosing (and losing) all the high value units then this could ruin the game for others. Now this hasnt been proven, its just a theory.

That is a good point too mooxe ... I never thought of that.

Also, this campaign already allows any change to the Active Roster (within a point limit) ... which in my opinion favors the German BG's.

Most of the time the Allies are attacking ... and usually from areas of no cover, or from small deployment zones which can be surrounded. Without a points limit, on some maps (like Amfreville, La Fiere, St. Marcouf, etc.) it would be nearly impossible for Allied Airborne BG's to compete with German BG's (armed with many high point assets).

One strategy that might help the German side of the campaign is ... to move their inland BG's forward every strategic move turn, right from the start.

Thanks RD_DD and mooxe

#102: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:30 am
    —
Here is an example from the campaign ... St Marcouf
373 points Allied
468 points German

Take a look at the original units of the German BG. It looks pretty tough to me.

Then with the point limit system being used in the campaign ... you could drop a couple of of lesser units and add in two more MG42's, and still be under 500.

With no point limit ... you could drop all lesser units, and add in an infantry gun, another mortar, and have six MG42's - for a total of 554.

German BG original points.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  210.76 KB
 Viewed:  8699 Time(s)

German BG original points.JPG

German BG point limit.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  214.24 KB

German BG point limit.JPG

German BG no points limit.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  215.77 KB

German BG no points limit.JPG

#103: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:36 am
    —
The Allied BG wouldn't be much better off with anything much more than 425 ... for attacking anyway. Maybe take out a rifle team, and put in a 81mm mortar. The one or two DD Shermans for this BG were lost at the beach, but all the Airborne BG's don't have any armor either.

And lastly, look at the starting deployment zone for the Allied attack ... very small and totally surrounded by buildings and hedges.

I can't see any reason for unlimited points, since the attacking side has almost 100 points less ...even as the game originally allocates.

An unlimited points Active Roster also looks very unrealistic in make up.

Allied BG original points.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  217.88 KB
 Viewed:  8693 Time(s)

Allied BG original points.JPG

St Marcouf Allied start deployment.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  294.54 KB
 Viewed:  8693 Time(s)

St Marcouf Allied start deployment.JPG

#104: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 am
    —
I understand the arguments that Davidssfx and Mooxe present concerning my previous complaint.

My final comments on this are:

The game is more than just a repeat of history to me.
I like the fact that I can rewrite history playing CC games.
Germans win Kursk...Whoo-Whoo!

Each battle we play in CC is only a very small representation of what really happened in Normandy. When two opposing divisions clashed, I'm sure that each individual battle was not the same with generally the same units...in some sectors an MG battalion trying to hold off tanks, or infantry on infantry or total tank on tank clash. There were varieties, all taking place between these two opposing divisions.

So to make things interesting and allow for more of a variety in tactics, I proposed being able to select any forces available from your battlegroups to accomplish your specific goals on that particular map.

We can argue our cases all day in this aspect. Some like historical, some like balance, some like both. I personally like more 'balanced' campaigns for head-to-head play. I think that the reason many mods are neglected, discarded or never played by many CC players is because they are highly 'unbalanced.'

Mooxe mentioned:

Quote:
The points restriction is more of a layer of protection to a public GC. If you do not restrict random public players from choosing (and losing) all the high value units then this could ruin the game for others.

Good point here...I see how damage could be done to a campaign either through indifference or inexperience in managing BGs...

Well, ultimately this is Davidssfx's production- so I retract my earlier complaint and will humbly comply with the point system.

Twisted Evil

#105: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:44 pm
    —

The game is more than just a repeat of history to me.
I like the fact that I can rewrite history playing CC games.

Is there a chance the German side can win this campaign playing with the points allocated by the game?
Maybe someone from Matrix can answer this, or someone who has played through the GC.

If there isn't a chance, then I think there should be an addition to the game in the next patch, or a mod ... that introduces more German BG's (some armored, etc) if the Allies are held back from achieving certain objectives within a specific time line. This would simulate more German forces arriving to the area because of the extra time allowed by the Allies not achieving their goals ... and being pushed back to the sea.

On another subject, I would have liked to see some units of German BG's surrendering after coming under heavy fire for a certain amount of time, from two or more directions.  ... they would have to be set with the very lowest morale, experience,etc. ... in order for it to work.
There were many German units like this throughout Normandy that had poor training, very basic weapons, little ammo, and little will to fight ... and surrendered very easily ... partly due to experiencing Air and Naval bombardments, combined with follow-up night Airborne attacks.

I guess for game play though ... it's better the way it is.

#106: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:41 am
    —
Firefrost joined the campaign playing the German side, but will be on the Allied roster from now on.

We had three battles:
First was at Easy Red, where only a MG unit was left defending the map. Still took some losses trying to rush the bunker which concealed them, and also as other Allied units were moving into position to take VL's. Nevertheless the map is now secured ... tough last stand by Firefrost.

Next was Vierville Sur Mer.
I should have waited for a BG with tanks to arrive, before moving to this map ... the Allied deployment zone was one of the worst I've seen so far. But, I knew this ahead of time, and still went ahead with the attack. It was well defended also ... and the Allied BG ended up being disbanded with a total loss of map. My fault on this one ... sorry Allied team.

The Allied BG should have been able to retreat back to the beach map they just came from ... I guess this is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Lastly, off to Pointe Du Hoc.
After we both realized we each had only 9 men, with no command units, we both agreed to truce ... although I suspect the German side may have had the advantage.

Welcome to the campaign Firefrost.

Last edited by davidssfx on Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:57 pm; edited 4 times in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 56 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.84 KB
 Viewed:  9815 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 56 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 57 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  160.35 KB
 Viewed:  9815 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 57 debrief.JPG

#107: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:45 am
    —
Hooked up with RD_DD for a return to Merville Battery.
Again, this was only defended by a single German MG (I thnk). It ended as expected, with the Allied units quickly securing the map. It took five battles to get it done.  Shocked

TLD Public GC1 save 58.zip
 Description:
Allied save 58

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 58.zip
 Filesize:  115.78 KB
 Downloaded:  341 Time(s)

#108: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:27 pm
    —
Versus Davidssfx at Merville Battery

After a short firefight at close range, our final defenders of the Merville battery surrendered to the Americans.

Link to the Axis save:

Axis Save #58

#109: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:57 am
    —
had some battles with mooxe ... no time to write now, but will attach save

TLD Public GC1 save 62.zip
 Description:
Allied save 62

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 62.zip
 Filesize:  120.02 KB
 Downloaded:  337 Time(s)

#110: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 7:09 am
    —
Had a great bunch of battles vs David. I was Germans.

Hermanville - Started out with a depleted BG. Could not fill all slots. Main effort was to draw him into house to house and attempt to avoid tanks. That worked for the most part and I was able to inflict equal casualties upon his BG. Destroyed one Sherman, could not destroy the Cromwell that was eating my men up in the center cross roads.

Pegasus Bridge - I took DeathDealers deployment and expanded some more. Main effort was right hand side hedge rows. Battle started off shooting and Davids hedge defenders fell quickly. My 20mm car was destroyed by mortars. Battle results in morale failure for Allies and Germans gaining the two VLs shown in the North.

Gold Beach - Germans had two units. I placed my gun behind the center house in the hopes of getting a lucky one shot one kill on a tank. I did get one shot off, then naval came in and destroyed both my teams.

Strategic Moves - I quickly realized Germans were outnumbers BG wise. There is not enough units to keep a solid front. Not much movement in the North aside from FJ unit pulling out of battle and another unit attempting to disengage and make it to friendly lines. Disbanded Point Du Hoc as it had just a single infantry team left. Throughout the remainder of the center and South, BGs repositioned to defend supply depots, will take a few more turns to make this happen. Any unit not in action or moving was put on rest.

Azeville - This is one of my favorite maps from classic CC5. Main effort was to hold the line at the Allied Southern entry point. I placed four mg42s, 81mm mortar, panzerjager, kompanietroop and 75mm ATG down there with orders to hold only. Secondary effort was to contain and eliminate the Allied positions in the North. A stug, mg42 and a few infantry teams were brought up for this.

As the battle started it turned to Night, didn't. The weather indicator showed the sun with clouds. I immidietly started losing my troops positions to attack the house. My mg42 across the street took out most guys on the Northern edge of the house. The stug was firing indirectly. With my losses to the South of house it was looking bad. David suddenly pulled a bunch of men out of the house which was my queue for the mg42 team to cross the street. It took a few minutes to take control of the house after that, more losses for both. Along the East side of the map in the small house, Allies were dueling with another mg42 I had setup, mg42 was losing. I brought my stug around to take care of some rogue Allied infanty in a small shack at point blank range. In the East house along the edge of map an ATG gun lit up my stug. My two remaining men from the mg42 team assaulted the ATG, and with a grenade blew it up!

As this is all happening my mg42s are engaged in a static firefight in the South and winning. Minimal losses for those men, they inflicted max losses to Allies. An allied tank was lit up by my 75mm gun and shortly after my 75mm gun was destroyed by an unknown means. Game ended with morale loss for Allies, and they lost the map. Great result for Germans, helps stabilize the front lines. Major losses for this unit however in termsn of hardware (not soldiers), sometimes you have to eat up the losses to get rid of an enemy BG tho.

hermanville_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.5 KB
 Viewed:  9766 Time(s)

hermanville_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg

Pegasus_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  223.93 KB

Pegasus_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg

GoldB_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  218.03 KB

GoldB_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg

Azeville_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  251.07 KB

Azeville_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg

(Axis Host)TLD Public GC 62.gc
 Description:
Latest GC file for next Axis host

Download
 Filename:  (Axis Host)TLD Public GC 62.gc
 Filesize:  1.74 MB
 Downloaded:  328 Time(s)

#111: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:12 am
    —
Yes, a great series of tough fought battles.

The Allies took too many losses while attacking, but held some ground at Pegasus against a tough BG.

At Azeville: one notable Allied mistake was backing a Sherman out of cover ... without checking for possible enemy AT, and moved right into a waiting ATG's sights. Biggest mistake though was dividing forces ... and another mistake was not moving a command team back to support morale of other units.
Allies lost the map, and suffered another BG disbanding ... due to the TLD retreat bug.
mooxe showed superior skills here.

Also lost a Sherman at Hermanville, after sending it around the perimeter of the map capturing VL's, without keeping an eye on it.

Well played battles by mooxe ... thanks for posting the AAR's and screens.

#112: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:36 pm
    —
Battle 63 of the campaign ends an epic battle between two tough, evenly matched, Battle Groups (BG's) ...
The German 919/709 ID and Allied U.S. 502/101 AB.

The campaign started with these two BG's at St. Germaine de Varreville, and their final battle against each other ended with the disbandment of the 919/709 ID at St Marie Du Mont.

The first battle finished with both sides exhausted ... although against the AI. It was soon after decided, that no AI would be allowed.
Three more extremely hard battles between these two combatants occurred before an Allied decision to exchange BG's .. the 502/101 moved back to rest at Exit 2, and the 8/4 took its place.
The German 919/709 held off total defeat during the fifth battle and was moved to St Marie Du Mont on the next strategic turn, in order to try and reach friendly supply and support.
During the same strategic turn, the U.S. 502/101 was also moved to St Marie Du Mont ... to gain closer access to the front.
This turn of fate brought these two BG's together once again.

lorman vs davidssfx
Both BG's entered this map for the first time and deployed at opposite southern corners.
The Allied main priority was to ensure the Vierville exit remained in Allied control ... so as to block the German BGs' retreat.
Another concern was keeping a newly supplied Stuart from being damaged or destroyed. Cohesion also played a major factor, because only one command team remained.
Half the BG was sent to establish a foothold in buildings near the German deployment zone, while other units moved to protect the Vierville exit and scout/capture other VL's
Contact was made, as the two BG's met in the southern center of town. German MG's held back advances from within buildings. This required a cautious move forward with the Stuart, and a call to bring up units from the Vierville exit.
Two rifle teams had worked their way around the perimeter, and eventually met units defending the last German held VL. The advance bogged down under MG fire and mounting Allied losses, so the Stuart was moved further up ... only to go up in flames from an unseen enemy unit. Allied morale was beginning to break, but a final push was ordered as time ran down. This brought about favorable results for the Allies, but at high cost.

Excellent defense by lorman, as a final last stand ... a real nail biter.

1) Feb 04, 2010 davidssfx vs ai - major allied victory
9) Feb 22, 2010 davidssfx vs Priapus - major allied victory
26) Feb 27, 2010 davidssfx vs hOsTyLe - minor allied victory
40) Mar 04, 2010 davidssfx vs RD_DeathDealer - major allied victory
51) Sun Mar 07, 2010 davidssfx vs RD_DeathDealer  - minor allied victory
63) March 13, 2010 davidssfx vs lorman -  total allied victory

note: I haven't paid much attention to details of specific BG's, but took interest in these two.

TLD Public GC 1 save 63 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  176.16 KB
 Viewed:  9648 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 63 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 63.zip
 Description:
Allied save 63

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 63.zip
 Filesize:  119.68 KB
 Downloaded:  324 Time(s)

#113: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:04 am
    —
Hooked up with hOsTyLe for a battle at Pont L'Abbe.
It was an all out fire fight from beginning to end.

TLD Public GC 1 save 64 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.7 KB
 Viewed:  9628 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 64 debrief.JPG

#114: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:57 am
    —
Hooked up with mooxe for some more really hard fought battles ...

Dog Red - I lost control of this map as Allied commander last battle. So during the last strategic turn ... another more successful Allied beach BG was moved across to try and finish off the remainder of German defenders.
Although depleted of most units the German BG still had an ATG, a couple of MG's and another unit, perhaps command.

within the first few minutes, a Stuart was spotted and destroyed. The next 10 minutes was spent crawling Allied units into positions for recon and attack ...  mooxe was able to watch some TV and get refreshments Smile
I had to be cautious though since this beach had humbled me once before.
Once several units were parallel with the German ATG (camped in a bunker like structure) ... some suppression was put on the gun and smoke laid. the attack failed though as the approaching units were lost.
Time was running out by this time and so a 81mm team was sent running across the beach through MG cliff fire. As they neared the gun ... an MG team, and Command Team were also sent moving fast. several soldiers got near enough for hand to hand combat, and the gun was knocked out in the last few seconds (I think). Not much left of the German BG now anyway. Will sure be glad to be off the beaches.

Hermanville - The most powerful BG I've seen so far entered the map from a central north deployment zone with 948 points.
I  was at about half of that so decided on defense only.
I had a couple of tanks at center of town in cross fire hidden angles. Most other units were at back side of buildings away from fire, except for a few in a separate location further west.
Four German tanks moved west across the fields with massed infantry, while going north to south was another tank with infantry support. mooxe carefully crushed the western forces, and then began recon by fire through most of the town buildings which were in front of the approach ways into town.
German infantry attacks were held back for some time, but an Allied tank left too exposed was taken out by precision AT infantry.
With less than a minute left, two German tanks appeared near the center town crossroads. I couldn't resist the chance to go for one, but when I inched the firefly out around its L shaped building cover ... it was hit by another schreck team with had earlier snuck across the road under smoke cover.
Morale broke, when the tank was lost ... and so another stupid move gave the German BG the center town VL's.
There is still plenty of ground left to defend though ... but a better attempt to keep the Allied armor fighting is needed.
Mooxe never had even one of his tanks in a compromising position, and let AT infantry do the major damage.

Pegasus - Allied forces held two VL's on their side of the bridge, as the German BG secured the rest of the map.

TLD Public GC 1 save 65 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  159.43 KB
 Viewed:  9620 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 65 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 66 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  179.31 KB
 Viewed:  9620 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 66 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 67.zip
 Description:
Allied save 67

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 67.zip
 Filesize:  117.42 KB
 Downloaded:  295 Time(s)

#115: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:42 am
    —
Regarding earlier mentioned concerns about German elite BG's being weakened by the point system, it seems the opposite is true ... regarding Hermanville anyway.

The German BG had 948 ... and with the points system, maximum allowed is 950 (five tanks in the active roster, I think).
The Allied BG had 468 ... and with the points system, maximum allowed is 500.

The Allies had two tanks in their active roster ... nine Sherman and two Stuart in their Force Pool.

just noting this for anyone following the points system topic.

#116: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:50 pm
    —
davidssfx wrote (View Post):
Regarding earlier mentioned concerns about German elite BG's being weakened by the point system, it seems the opposite is true ... regarding Hermanville anyway.

The German BG had 948 ... and with the points system, maximum allowed is 950 (five tanks in the active roster, I think).
The Allied BG had 468 ... and with the points system, maximum allowed is 500.

The Allies had two tanks in their active roster ... nine Sherman and two Stuart in their Force Pool.

just noting this for anyone following the points system topic.

Back when we played a lot of CC5 campaigns we just used a vehicle point limit. For exmaple, each side was allowed 6 points. Tanks were worth 1 point, heavy tanks (tiger/panther) were 1.5. Add that all together and it could not come to more than 6 points. For a classic CC5 campaign you would still have to do this as theres no points in the game like there is in TLD.

We also used a basic tank limit. So basic rule was five tanks per side max. This didnt work out to well when shermans came up against panthers, shermans had 0 chance for success. This is why we went to a point limit and heavies being worth 1.5.

The rounding up to the next 50 seems to be pretty good. There are very few German BGs at the moment in this campaign that can match what the Allies bring to the field. So overall it seems balanced IMO.

#117: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 5:41 pm
    —

Allies lost the map, and suffered another BG disbanding ... due to the TLD retreat bug.

By default in TLD the BG retreat option is off.

Having said that though, if you taken the time to enable the retreat option before starting the GC you will find there is a bug based on feedback from some mod makers....

Last edited by Tejszd on Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

#118: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:35 pm
    —
Quote:

As tejszd said ..tLD is working as designed in this respect.... no bug is evident in your campaign.

#119: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:40 pm
    —
Davidssfx...I would like to be under the 'casual' players listing please.
I understand that this will exempt me from making future strat moves- but it will allow me more gameplay.

Thanks-

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

#120: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:41 pm
    —
Before I had this game, I made the post to be switched to a 'casual' player permanently.
I played as 'Allied' for this battle.

Versus hOsTyLe at Bayeux

The battle started as a meeting engagement between the Schnelle BDE and the British 231/50th ID. As soon as the bell sounded, German and British troops were sprinting for VLs through the narrow streets and connected buildings of Bayeux. Forced a crew bail-out of hOsTyLe's StuG by flanking it with a veteran Centaur IV during a 2-on-1 armored exchange. Both sides' infantry fought hard during the intense house-to-house firefights, but ultimately Bayeux ended up under British control.

Link to the Allied save:

Allied Save #68

It is now 'Movement' on the strategic map...

#121: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:24 am
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):

Having said that though, if you taken the time to enable the retreat option before starting the GC you will find there is a bug based on feedback from some mod makers....

Hi Tejszd,
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I wasn't aware of this retreat option, and even now that it's been brought to my attention ... I can't seem to locate where it is enabled/disabled. Any further help would be appreciated.

Thanks

#122: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:30 am
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):
Quote:

As tejszd said ..tLD is working as designed in this respect.... no bug is evident in your campaign.

Hi schrecken,
Thanks for confirming this.
I apologize for inferring this was a bug ... when in fact it was just an option I wasn't aware of.
I will certainly enable it next time, or change it now if possible ... cause I like the idea of retreating to a friendly map (if available) ... instead of disbanding.

Last edited by davidssfx on Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:47 am; edited 1 time in total

#123: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:39 am
    —
It really isn't meant for end users and affects all campaigns/operations started after it is changed so there is no option for it shown on any screen in the game.

It also only affects campaigns/operations started after the change, along with all the other options in the file, \Close Combat The Longest Day\DATA\BASE\campaign.txt.

# BGs retreat on rout (0 = disband on rout, 1 = retreat on rout)

#124: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:46 am
    —
It really isn't meant for end users and affects all campaigns/operations started after it is changed so there is no option for it shown on any screen in the game.

It also only affects campaigns/operations started after the change, along with all the other options in the file, \Close Combat The Longest Day\DATA\BASE\campaign.txt.

# BGs retreat on rout (0 = disband on rout, 1 = retreat on rout)

OK ... thanks again Tejszd.
I'll remember this for next time.

#125: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:44 am
    —
The Strategic turn was taken, and another great series of battles with mooxe followed ... send re-enforcements Smile
New Allied BG's arrived at the beaches during the morning of the 2nd day, as well as reports of an elite German SS BG.

Carentan Causeway - Both forces deployed on either side of a bridge, by which is the only way to advance. Since neither side was willing to face certain heavy losses in an attempt to cross it ... a truce was called.

St Mere Eglise - The Allied commander decided to swap BG's ... moving 505/82nd back, and bringing 8/4th to the front lines. Simultaneously, a German attack was underway ... thus, a meeting engagement. Deployment zones were diagonal across the length of the map, and Allied units moved to secure a central stronghold ... while several other units scouted/captured VL's. Beyond this, caution was used to bring the Allied armor into play, due to suspicions of hidden ATG's. Several small long distance skirmishes highlighted the battle. Captured ground will be used for further advancement next battle.

Vierville Sur Mer - A second attempt to gain a foothold on this map was carried out ... this time with two tanks. One by one the tanks moved up to positions where only one or two lines of sight could to used by either side ... while infantry units crawled and moved into hedges for cover, and as a base for fire. The opposing hedge had a dominant force of infantry spread across its length. Allied losses were mounting, even though a Sherman was able to reach the same Allied hedge and fire into buildings and hedges. A mortar barrage was laid on the German hedge, which did some damage and cleared some German units. An ATG was spotted further along and was knocked out. The second Sherman followed, but was found in the sights of a Marder that had been hiding behind a north west building. The Sherman went up in flames, but an Air Strike lit up the Marder. The first Sherman and infantry held their small gain of ground, and are better set to continue the advance.

Hermanville - The German 192/21 Panzer moved cautiously out of town center, towards the sea side of map, where the Allied BG was attempting to hold. By far the strongest BG of any so far in the campaign ... Five Panzer IV's and accompanying infantry dominated the battlefield against a couple of Shermans and various infantry/support units. While a single Panzer placed fire from a northern perimeter hedge, the others crashed through the central part of the map.
Eventually, two Panzers flanked the Allies on the southern most road while another drove right down main street. Two Shermans pulled out from behind cover to meet the advance ... one got off several shots at the two southern Panzers, but was knocked out.
Another German total victory, and the disbandment of a good Allied BG resulted.
No Allied BG will be able to hold back 192/21 Panzer (using the campaign points system), and will face total defeat within one or two battles. There's only one way to deal with this superior BG ...  

I didn't get "in game shots" ... so these will have to do

Attached is the Allied save

Last edited by davidssfx on Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:11 am; edited 15 times in total

TLD Public GC 1 save 69 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  59.8 KB
 Viewed:  11368 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 69 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 70 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.41 KB
 Viewed:  11368 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 70 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 72.zip
 Description:
Allied save 72

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 72.zip
 Filesize:  147.34 KB
 Downloaded:  344 Time(s)

#126: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:16 am
    —
continued from above

TLD Public GC 1 save 71 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.67 KB
 Viewed:  10651 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 71 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 72 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  105.16 KB
 Viewed:  10651 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 72 debrief.JPG

#127: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:46 am
    —
Two battles vs Firefrost.

Most uneventful, more or less administrative actions completed.

1st battle I only had two units. I asked Firefront to just come and kill me.

2nd battle was Pegasus with a German inf bg. I jockeyed for pos in the hedges, moderate casualties. The 21Panzers left this area earlier to go elsewhere.

Last edited by mooxe on Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:32 pm; edited 2 times in total

74 Axis Host TLD Public GC.gc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  74 Axis Host TLD Public GC.gc
 Filesize:  1.78 MB
 Downloaded:  313 Time(s)

#128: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:24 am
    —
Versus FireFrost at Caen

This was a meeting engagement between the 25thSS PzGr (DeathDealer) and the British 9th BDE (Firefrost). The battle commenced with troops from both sides maneuvering for position. Numerous infighting took place in the north and industrial sections of town. Lost a command MkIV to a piat round early. A chess game between a Sherman Crab and one of our MkIVs kept both players well occupied with movement commands throughout the fight. Exhaustion set in after 20 straight minutes of conflict, and the streets became ominously quiet as we tended to our wounded.

Great battle

Link to the Axis save:

Axis save #74

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:32 am; edited 3 times in total

#129: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:54 am
    —
was about to connect with mooxe, but my area had a power outage ... joined back up a few hours later when power was restored, but mooxe was not around.
Ended up having a battle with RD_DD which ending in an Allied morale failure ... ouch. I had spread my units too thin, and two command units were left stranded, and taken out. Also lost the Centaur
Very well played by RD_DD.

I also goofed on the save count again ... so RD_DD's Axis save and my Allied save after the Bayeux battle is 75.

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:45 am; edited 3 times in total

#130: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:43 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at Bayeux

The Schnelle BDE regrouped their forces and counterattacked the British 231st BDE at Bayeux. The engagement featured some MG duels and house-to-house fighting at it's most brutal. Davidssfx's Tommie armor had to keep backing out of the fight due to Shrecks being fired from buildings down the street. In the end, the 231st lost morale and the Schnelle BDE is back in this fight.

Here's the link to the Axis save...Movement is next:

Axis Save #75

#131: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:51 am
    —
Campaign Blocked

until mooxe and I reconnect to take strategic move turn, and at least the first battle ... since we were connecting to play, but I had a power outage.

#132: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:32 am
    —
was about to connect with mooxe, but my area had a power outage ... joined back up a few hours later when power was restored, but mooxe was not around.
Ended up having a battle with RD_DD which ending in an Allied morale failure ... ouch. I had spread my units too thin, and two command units were left stranded, and taken out. Also lost the Centaur
Very well played by RD_DD.

I also goofed on the save count again ... so RD_DD's Axis save and my Allied save after the Bayeux battle is 75.

I thought you gave up due to frustration! I'v been there before..........

#133: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:49 am
    —
Strategic Moves - Not much strategy to speak of. Running around trying to stop the wildfire.

Azeville - Allied attack. I have a very depleted light infantry BG with meager support weapons up against a superiour armoured BG, on Azeville, all time fav map, my all time fav position to be in. David gets in the Cathedral 4 story section and spots my 75mm howitzer off in the hedges, mortars take it out in seconds with 2 shots maybe, ugh. David smokes the road between cathedral and 2 story to the East, I match his smoke with mortars. When I see his men crossing my 2nd mortar opens up and my mg42 decimates one team. I send smoke mortars to block his tanks LOS on the hedge Im firing from and send my teams packing deeper into the hedges. His tanks and mortars open up on the hedge seconds later. David moves thru the Southern edges slowly and methodically. My mortars get a few kills. Once I spot his sherman its time to leave, a command team and mg42 start North for new ambushes.

All my southern teams re-pos in the left center of map around the roads. Davids sherman takes the bait and mvs up to the hedge to fire at my men. I put a shrek team in there to take it out and by golly they did, without a command team nearby and they were winded. Allied teams attack to take the road exit on the west side, but are ambushed. A heavy firefight now takes place at the crossroads with a Sherman backing them up. Time runs out with the VL staying in German hands.

Carentan Causeway - I can only deploy 12 units. The map is stalemated, david must cross a bridge to advance. He has superior men and equipment. I hold superior position. As the battle starts he rushes 3 infantry teams into the house. Two 81mm mortars open up on them and score right away. My 2 teams and sniper hiding in the back of the house run to the side to take up fire position. That attack quickly diminishes. David manages to capture the bridge VL by sneaking men across, which die soon after. His men in the hedges keep up a torrent of fire on the house. I now notice that I forgot to deploy my only command team, I left him way on the western edge, I start running him forward. David now launches a last ditch all out banzai charge with a stuart leading. The slaughter takes less than a minute and results in an Allied morale loss.

Azeville_MOOXEvsDavid2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  241.08 KB
 Viewed:  10551 Time(s)

Azeville_MOOXEvsDavid2.jpg

CarentanCauseway_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.11 KB
 Viewed:  10551 Time(s)

CarentanCauseway_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg

77 TLD Public GC (Axis Host).gc
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  77 TLD Public GC (Axis Host).gc
 Filesize:  1.79 MB
 Downloaded:  303 Time(s)

#134: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:24 am
    —
Some advancement at Azeville ... and a brave but foolish charge at the causeway
Very exciting battles though ... and well defended by mooxe

TLD Public GC1 save 77.zip
 Description:
Allied save 77

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 77.zip
 Filesize:  150.02 KB
 Downloaded:  311 Time(s)

#135: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 pm
    —
Hooked up with mooxe for a couple.

St Mere Eglise - Allied units were ordered to attempt an attack from the south side of the church, but under no circumstances force the issue beyond BG capabilities. Enemy units in this area are to be handled cautiously, due to Allied superior re enforcements and supply. The attack was stopped quickly because of German MG's in church and eastern buildings ... still too many heavy MG's, and possible AT units to risk crossing open areas. A Sherman moved up to support the action, but was knocked out by a schreck team in the church. Another Sherman directed fire at the church. Some very small gains ... but news of an upcoming attack, (further north) that would cut enemy supply to this area, helped calm the troops.

Amfreville - Finally a chance to enter this map from a better deployment zone ... the long way around.
The Allied BG moved confidently into position, due to their previous success at Pont L'abbe. Intelligence reported low enemy morale, but still considerable MG and AT capabilities.
First priority was to establish cover for command units, and against schreck penetration for the lone Stuart. Unfortunately, a 57mm AT was not able to reach its optimal position before the fighting broke out (Allied commander forgot) ... and was knocked out early. Movement was slow and traced by mortar and MG fire, but progress was made, and enemy units could be seen pulling back. Scouting from the south reported the "area clear" ... so a couple of units were sent to help capture VL's ... and then routed to join a simultaneous attack with the other units. The Stuart was held back to guard the Entry VL, while a final assault across the north was launched.  Fire from 3 directions was put on a German unit in a roadway hedge, MG and rifle fire into a northern building, a rush through a hedge and firing across a small field at a 8cm mortar, as well as a combination Mortar, MG, Command units rush into north west corner hedges ... resulted in a total victory, and disbandment of the enemy BG.
The disbandment was a bit of a surprise, but I warned mooxe we were coming ... lol Smile

TLD Public GC 1 save 78 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  171.63 KB
 Viewed:  10534 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 78 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC 1 save 79 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.66 KB
 Viewed:  10534 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 79 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 79.zip
 Description:
Allied save 79

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 79.zip
 Filesize:  149.26 KB
 Downloaded:  310 Time(s)

#136: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:27 am
    —
Back to Vierville Sur Mer with RD_DD commanding the German side.

Lost it all again on this map ... very well defended.

Last edited by davidssfx on Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:08 am; edited 1 time in total

TLD Public GC1 save 80.zip
 Description:
Allied save 80

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 80.zip
 Filesize:  148.06 KB
 Downloaded:  305 Time(s)

#137: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:17 am
    —
German Commander, there must be a disband of the Allies forces in Bayeux!!!!!!!!! When I wake up in the morning.. err.. at noon... I will load up the forums... and hope to see an AAR with German crosses all over the Bayeux map.

p.s. AT ANY COST!!

#138: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:50 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at Vierville Sur Mer

Wehrmacht troops prepare for a combined armor/infantry assault by setting up defenses in the buildings and having pre-sighted killing zones for the Allied approach.

The Allies began their assault with an awesome display of suppressive firepower directed at the buildings followed by advancing infantry and armor. In the first few minutes, we lost our 75mm infantry gun to deadly mortar fire. Our machine gunners were able to slow the oncoming enemy infantry, but ultimately everything hinged on a lone panzershreck soldier to stop the advancing Shermans...

Private Stolle singlehandedly killed four enemy infantrymen, destroyed two Sherman tanks, and broke the morale of the Allied BG to win the map. This earned him the Iron Cross.

Axis Save #80

#139: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:29 pm
    —
Hooked up with hOsTyLe at Mosles.
Was a tough battle, and well defended ... ended with Allied BG disbanded and total victory for German side.

These small deployment zones are too crazy ... tanks pinned into small areas that are surrounded by ATG's and schrecks. German BG's are getting stacked with MG's so infantry can't move either.
And my fault for starting the campaign without the retreat option. Oh well, must carry on.

Looks like the Allies are winning on the strat map, but the battle is far from over.

TLD Public GC1 save 81.zip
 Description:
Allied save 81

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 81.zip
 Filesize:  148.31 KB
 Downloaded:  288 Time(s)

#140: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:49 pm
    —
We need some more Allied players.

#141: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:43 am
    —
Connected with mooxe for a couple of battles.

Germans had worst possible deployment, and a couple of Fireflies knocked out the Pz IV's from behind hedges. Didn't have the courage to rush troops into the open, attempting a disbandment ... so just held. Also didn't want to get the remaining Firefly into schreck range.
During the last strat move I put BG's all around this powerful German BG, so it would have to fight before getting back to German supply and ammo. And now that its held on this map another turn ... it should be out of fuel.
btw, those piats are useless ... what's their range to fire ... 3 feet  lol

Tried to hold at Caen, but German stuff was too much. Didn't get disbanded though ... lots of cover left in that factory for next time ... lol

Last edited by davidssfx on Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:53 am; edited 3 times in total

TLD Public GC1 save 83.zip
 Description:
Allied save 83

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 83.zip
 Filesize:  146.92 KB
 Downloaded:  324 Time(s)

#142: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:10 am
    —
Benouville - Attacking Allies from East side. 21pz Division low on fuel and ammo. Expecting my five tanks to be out of fuel, planning to use them as bunkers. All efforts are to expand deployment to the North and capture two story house and surrounding shacks, along with road to to Perriers Ridge. My objs are less than 200m from deployment, but I must cover open ground with extremely long lines of LOS. Expecting moderate Allied armour, some piats as well.

Four of my tanks  go down in the first few minutes. They had slow deaths, main guns went then immobilized then pounded to submissions. Davids fireflies were hidden, I could not return fire. Eventually I score a large victory, a shrek teams nails one firefly, finally! David jockies around for shots at my remaining tank with his PIATs and I mow down three PIAT teams. I managed to secure North exit VL and all houses, and I snuck into field to grab another VL. I watch Davids men take up positiongs on the Eastern edge right below my deploy. His other firefly backs off to, proibaly heading for the same spot. I think his plan is to go for broke and try to disband me. I realign my last tank to point south and bring my shrek team over with LOS to the vl. His firefly pops into view on the opposite side of map and gets a long distance side shot to kill my last tank. I am suprised morale hasnt broke. I hang in there, and the battle ends thankfully!

Caen - I plan to rid the allies from this map!! I set up three teams on the southern island. A tank, shrek and mg42 to hold that flank. The remaining 12 teams are all for the top section. 10 assault teams including a shrek, one tank and an 81mm mortar team. I slogged through the cathedral and houses suffering the loss of one complete pioneer team. Davids morale is quite low by now and I have only captured one VL. There was too much ground to fight over before getting to the VLs. Its not looking good for a disband. Battle ends with morale loss to Allies. Thier deployment zone is the size of a thimble for next battle. My advice to allies, disband before the germans do!

benou_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  219.89 KB
 Viewed:  10873 Time(s)

benou_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg

caen_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  258.98 KB
 Viewed:  10873 Time(s)

caen_MOOXEvsDavid.jpg

83 (Axis) TLD Public GC.gc
 Description:
German Host

Download
 Filename:  83 (Axis) TLD Public GC.gc
 Filesize:  1.8 MB
 Downloaded:  351 Time(s)

#143: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:51 pm
    —
Hooked up with mooxe for a tough battle

Bayeux - Allied BG was ordered to defend and hold ... and keep enemy supplies and ammo from being distributed from this  important hub city.
Held up one or two German assaults, but was weakened ... followed by a flank attack. An effort to pull back and fill the flank resulted in fire through buildings (what was that) that pinned the effort. A Sherman was knocked out also, and a final assault was held off long enough to save from being disbanded.

excellent tactics to advance by mooxe ... but this Allied BG will fight again at Bayeux.

TLD Public GC 1 save 84 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  168.88 KB
 Viewed:  10856 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 84 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 84.zip
 Description:
Allied save 84

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 84.zip
 Filesize:  146.69 KB
 Downloaded:  532 Time(s)

#144: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:09 am
    —
mooxe and I hooked up for some more.

Bretteville - Total Allied Victory ... even when we both agreed upon a truce.

The German BG had no cohesion left, which is the same thing that happened at Amfreville during the last battle there. I'm not sure what the German Bretteville BG's cohesion was before this battle ... but we know for sure the German Amfreville's BG had good cohesion, and then for some unknown reason went to none.
This is bad, but that's not all ... as soon as a BG has no cohesion, the battle will automatically be a total victory for the opposing side ... even when a truce is agreed upon.

A BG's cohesion dropping to none, without reason ... and then battles being total victories, without reason ... is not acceptable for continued game play. I'm suspending my part in this campaign due to these bugs. I see no reason to continue, since the results are not matching what is happening on the battlefield.

Thanks to all who participated ... was a blast, up to this point.
Hopefully this bug can be fixed. All the saved files in this forum can be used by Matrix to confirm this (if they so desire).

we still made the strategic move and played one battle.

St. Marcouf/Azeville

TLD Public GC 1 save 85 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.86 KB
 Viewed:  10839 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 85 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 85.zip
 Description:
Allied save 85

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 85.zip
 Filesize:  148.52 KB
 Downloaded:  372 Time(s)

#145: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 am
    —
Yeah its quite a huge bug for a campaign. And with cohesion dropping steadily as units are engaged, forced to engaged since Germans are outnumbered, then many more BGs will be lost. They will return in the morning at a depot, without cohesion and be disbanded over and over.

#146: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:53 am
    —
I'm wondering about the HEX editing now.

Not discounting that there imay be a proiblem , but other h2h reports and AI campigns haven't had this problem

#147: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:01 pm
    —
The game was HEX edited once to change hosts from Axis to Allied, maybe 20 saves ago. I am going to run some tests between my laptop and desktop to see if that is the culprit.

#148: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:06 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
The game was HEX edited once to change hosts from Axis to Allied, maybe 20 saves ago. I am going to run some tests between my laptop and desktop to see if that is the culprit.

That hex edited save was NOT used.

That's the one where we couldn't hook up and then I had a power failure. Later I had that battle with RD_DD using his Axis save

#149: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:27 pm
    —
I think I've found the problem ... which is NOT a TLD problem.

Let's refer to the BG at Amfreville which had no cohesion before its last battle ... which was said to have been rested for a couple of turns.
I went back through the forums and grabbed Axis saves in order to follow this BG's history ... it is 729/709.

This BG, (729/709) was actually disbanded at Pont L'Abbe when it suffered a total defeat and lost the map against 506/101.

The 729/709 returned to Amfreville after the following strategic turn ... with no cohesion.

refer to Axis saves: 62 and 74

And it appears that these previously disbanded BG's  (with no cohesion) cannot return to hold a map.
Maybe the Bretteville German BG is returning from disbandment also.

729 709 cohesion before battle that disbanded them.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  262.96 KB
 Viewed:  10810 Time(s)

729 709 cohesion before battle that disbanded them.JPG

729 709 cohesion after returning from disbandment.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  271.89 KB
 Viewed:  10810 Time(s)

729 709 cohesion after returning from disbandment.JPG

#150: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:47 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Right! I remember that.

I think I've found the problem ... which is NOT a TLD problem.

Let's refer to the BG at Amfreville which had no cohesion before its last battle ... which was said to have been rested for a couple of turns.
I went back through the forums and grabbed Axis saves in order to follow this BG's history ... it is 729/709.

This BG, (729/709) was actually disbanded at Pont L'Abbe when it suffered a total defeat and lost the map against 506/101.

The 729/709 returned to Amfreville after the following strategic turn ... with no cohesion.

refer to Axis saves: 62 and 74

And it appears that these previously disbanded BG's  (with no cohesion) cannot return to hold a map.
Maybe the Bretteville German BG is returning from disbandment also.

In the 2nd photo strategic moves have already been done and the 729/709 is not being attacked. Thier cohesion should of raised some before you eventually attacked it next turn, or the one after next. Unless it takes a full day (of 4 strat moves!) to gain any cohesion back. On such a shallow and narrow strategic map that is way too long!

#151: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 7:25 pm
    —
Cohesion and fatigue use an internal system in the game engine called a 'trait'.   When you adjust a 'trait' value the amount of increase / decrease is scaled based on the magnitude of the current value and the magnitude of the change.  The closer to the maximum the current value is, the less of any increase is applied, and vice-versa.

As an example, if you rest a BG overnight it should recover about 1/3 the amount of cohesion it is down from the maximum.  If your BG is at 50% cohesion and your rest overnight it will be at about 66%.  If it rests overnight again it will be at about 77%.  Resting a 1% cohesion BG over night should take it to ~33%.

Resting for one day turn in TLD (with 4 turns per day) will only get you back ~4% cohesion if you're at 50%.

There are only 10 graphical states in tLD so a 4% increase may not register graphically.

Also the cohesion gain from resting only happens when you finish a turn and go on to the next one, not when you hit 'execute' to go from movement to battles.

#152: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:10 am
    —
Well, thanks to mooxe testing some of this stuff ... we know that a BG that has not been disbanded but depletes its cohesion to "no cohesion" will still be able to hold a map under attack.

And thanks schrecken for the cohesion info and help trying to sort this out.

I am personally content enough with what we now know about cohesion and how it affects BG's and disbanded BG's ... to continue playing through this campaign.
So ... game on :)

it would be interesting to know more details about cohesion though, and what governs certain results related to it.
If a disbanded BG returns back the next strategic turn with no cohesion ... why, and what caused it, etc?
If in fact these aren't bugs ... then this information could be used strategically during battles.

#153: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:41 am
    —

Hi again Tejszd,
I was looking at info about BG's in the TLD manual and came across an article referring to retreating. In 17.6 it states that BG's will retreat if certain conditions are met.
maybe the retreat option should be on by default?

17.6 Retreat
Battle Groups will retreat when routed from a map (due to morale failure) only under the following circumstances:
The battle ends because of a force morale failure;»»
The losing Battle Group holds at least one exit »»Victory Location when the battle ended;
The exit Victory Location(s) held by the losing Battle Group is »»connected to an empty map controlled by friendly forces; and
The losing Battle Group has lost all its Victory Locations»» because of the force morale differential.(the difference between force morale of the winning and losing Battle Groups).
If all these criteria are met, the losing Battle Group will randomly retreat by one of the available exit Victory Locations to an adjacent map. If not, it is forced to disband. Battle Groups that retreat, can’t move on the following strategic turn.

#154: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:06 pm
    —
hmmm 17.6 from the Wacht am Rhein manual

17.6 Retreat
Battle Groups will retreat when routed from a map (due to morale failure) only under the following circumstances:
The battle ends because of a force morale failure;
The losing Battle Group holds at least one exit Victory Location when the battle ended;
The exit Victory Location(s) held by the losing Battle Group is connected to an empty map controlled by friendly forces; and
The losing Battle Group has lost all its Victory Locations because of the force morale differential (the difference between force morale of the winning and losing Battle Groups).
If all these criteria are met, the losing Battle Group will randomly retreat by one of the available exit Victory Locations to an adjacent map. If not, it is forced to disband. Battle Groups that retreat, can’t move on the following strategic turn.

#155: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:47 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at St. Mare Eglise

The battle opened with a miraculous 200+ meter shreck round burning a Sherman to the ground. The rest of the engagement was manuevering for position and bloody hedgerow and building melees. An sMG and MG team managed to secure VLs to the south and west, but shortly afterwards a search-and-destroy team of American infantry arrived to kill them off... and take prisoners. This broke German morale and forced us to give up our ground gained.

Axis Save #86

#156: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:01 am
    —
Quite a battle at St Mere Eglise with RD_DD.

I put a Sherman in the top left corner of the map out in the open, because I thought schreck range was 200 meters. I figured it would take a least two shots, so if there was a schreck over there, I would hammer it before they could get a second shot away. The Sherman was hit with the first shot from 230 meters. ... was a heck of a shot anyway.
After that it was a very tense, hard fought battle.

TLD Public GC 1 save 86 debrief.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  208.86 KB
 Viewed:  9526 Time(s)

TLD Public GC 1 save 86 debrief.JPG

TLD Public GC1 save 86.zip
 Description:
Allied save 86

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 86.zip
 Filesize:  147.83 KB
 Downloaded:  302 Time(s)

#157: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:18 am
    —
Versus Davidssfx at Vierrville Sur Mer

The Americans could not knock the Wehrmacht 916th BDE from this town, so what do they do? They send in the Big Red One.

Most of the battle was fought in the hedgerows at the southern end of town. A platoon of Americans attacked to the southwest with tank support and began to punch through our defenses. We feinted an attack up north while shifting our troops to seal off the breakthrough. The attack was stopped and the battle ended after the full 30.

Link to the Axis save:

Axis Save #87

Last edited by RD_DeathDealer on Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 am; edited 6 times in total

#158: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:30 am
    —
Hooked up with RD_DD again ...

Vierville sur Mer - Moved another BG in to attack from another entry point. Coming off the beach exit on this map is nearing impossible, and has cost two disbanded total losses.
Even from this direction things were pretty tough. Lost a Sherman and just hung on to a little gained ground ... but very costly

very well defended.

TLD Public GC1 save 87.zip
 Description:
Allied save 87

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 save 87.zip
 Filesize:  147.42 KB
 Downloaded:  307 Time(s)

#159: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:29 pm
    —
I'll be back in when I can. Won't be able to play as much since I am back work now.......ugh....

#160: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 pm
    —
OK ... found where the cohesion error started ... it was at the save 68 strategic turn.
I'm not sure what caused this cohesion error to happen ... perhaps a poor connection or something that caused data to get mixed up.
I've since tested this against AI, and found that the Amfreville BG 729/709 will hold the map even though it has no cohesion.

Also, an Allied BG returned with no cohesion ... so there must be a certain condition by which a BG is disbanded that causes them to return with no cohesion. I will look into its history and see what happened to it.
edit ... update:
The Allied BG that returned was the 231/50. I was testing for the cohesion error and forced this BG to morale fail at Bayeux before time ran out. It returned the next day at the beach with no cohesion.
So I'm thinking, from what I've seen so far ... that a BG which is disbanded before time runs out will return with no cohesion.

Recently disbanded German BG 919/709 returned at Pont L'Abbe with some cohesion, proving not all German BG's return with no cohesion.

So it appears, a BG returning with no cohesion will hold a map if battle results end in its favor. I'm sure there must be some disadvantage to having such a low state of cohesion, but not sure of what that is.  

To correct this cohesion error that occurred during this strategic turn ... the Campaign will start again from this point.

I'll attach this new starting point save

It's a strategic turn ... so I'll have to connect with a regular Axis player to continue on.

Last edited by davidssfx on Wed Mar 24, 2010 2:26 am; edited 4 times in total

TLD Public GC1 corrected cohesion error save 68.zip
 Description:
Allied before cohesion error save 68

Download
 Filename:  TLD Public GC1 corrected cohesion error save 68.zip
 Filesize:  120.23 KB
 Downloaded:  312 Time(s)

#161: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:19 pm
    —
Axis commanders ... I suggest you click through the days while in the strategic map to see when and where new BG's become available.
I did this to try and figure out some things related to this cohesion error.
You will notice there is not any new BG's arriving at Pont L'Abbe or Amfreville major depots. My guess is ... this probably reflects the historical conditions of lack of new units arriving to support this area.
Therefore disbanded northern (non beach defending) BG's will return there is whatever state the game determines.

#162: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:09 am
    —
If those depots have units on them currently, they should not show reinforcements coming at a later date. As far as I know, only empty depots will reveal reinforcement schedual.

#163: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:31 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
If those depots have units on them currently, they should not show reinforcements coming at a later date. As far as I know, only empty depots will reveal reinforcement schedual.

For Example:
grab the Axis save 5 in the forum ... Look at the Bayeux map. Day 6 it shows it being currently occupied by 915/352 ... Then click day 7, you will see a new BG Schnelle 50.
This new BG probably won't arrive here until the previous BG has been disbanded or moved, but is set to arrive on day 7.

#164: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:02 am
    —
Upon further testing with Allied save 68 ... I have again encountered 729/709 being disbanded with total defeat when the battle results suggested they should have held.

I tried it earlier about six times and it worked as it should, but now with further tests ... I'm back to getting that problem again.
save 68 is right on a strategic turn ... so maybe that is the problem. For testing ... I've removed all but the save file I'm using. Having other saves at various stages seems to all blend together with the latest played result, which adds further confusion.
Sometimes the no cohesion BG's have appropriate battle results, and other times with the exact save downloaded again and put in the save folder by itself ... ends up with this same no cohesion BG failing to hold a map under any battle result.
you can try this from RD_DD's save 68 at the bottom of this page ... linked below.

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7960&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

#165: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:32 am
    —
Tried it again starting with save 67, which is at  Bayeux, one battle before the strategic turn.
Fought at Bayeux (against AI) and won as Allied commander. Then did the  strategic turn ... and moved 506/101 from Pont L'Abbed to Amfreville.  First battle after that is at Amfreville against 729/709. Battled hard,  and pushed the Allies to a morale break, but the battle still ended with  a total Allied victory, even though the battle results showed the Axis  side with higher morale. Axis side also had all but three VL's.
There definitely is some varying results which don't seem right.

sorry for the back and forth comments, but it seemed things had gotten  straightened out there for a while. Very strange testing session.

I think programmers built in another layer of AI that detects when someone is troubleshooting the game. This activates a program that produces varying results ... so no one will ever be able to figure this out.  lol [Smile]

any further reference to this problem will be in the TLD bug forum

#166: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:01 pm
    —
Since there is sometimes an error with no cohesion BG's ... I would like to suggest a work around, until a fix is found.

As mooxe mentioned, there is definitely a bug ... thanks again for noticing (and testing) this error.
And the obvious way to tell when it occurs is when the battle results, listed at the end of a battle, don't match the result the game produces.
For example: Axis BG had higher morale than Allied BG and had three or more VL's ... but was still disbanded with total map loss.

I still want to continue this campaign from the last save 87, (not save 68 ), but suggest when this error happens ... the opposing BG also gets disbanded manually at the next strategic turn, in order to compensate for this error. This error has already happened two times.

Therefore, during the next Strategic turn ... I  will disband 69/50 at Bretteville and 506/101 now at La Fiere, but was at Amfreville when this error occurred.

Also, I just did some more testing, and again found both results happening ... a no cohesion BG with correct results, and the error too.
I also tested an Allied BG,  231/50 that ended up with no cohesion after returning from disbandment. It fought again at Bayeux after moving off the beach ... and won the battle.

#167: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: tacoman5000 PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:33 pm
    —
I am very interested in this idea. I would love to play.

#168: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: namztukxamLocation: Portland, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 pm
    —
Hey everybody....  whatever happened with this public GC?  I haven't played online in a while and thought it would be fun to rejoin the GC.  oh well.

#169: Re: TLD Multiplayer Grand Campaign proposal Author: Priapus PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:27 am
    —
There's a new one. Both me and deathdealer appear to be the only vaguely active players so come get involved.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1