Military Load Class
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Military Load Class Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:13 pm
    —
Hey guys,

I was wondering how this number is calculated. I have been looking around on the internet but it only tells me the usual not how its calculated. What im wondering about is the following. Heavy vehicle's life fe the Pzh2000 have a class of 60 while their actual combat weight is 55.5 tons...

Suggestions?

Cheers Buck

#2: Re: Military Load Class Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:40 pm
    —
bridge classification I guess
Pzh2000 can drive over a certain bridge if it has bridge classification 60 or more  Rolling Eyes

i'm not 100% sure but i remember something from my military past

#3: Re: Military Load Class Author: Buck_ComptonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 11:49 am
    —
0202243 wrote (View Post):
bridge classification I guess
Pzh2000 can drive over a certain bridge if it has bridge classification 60 or more  Rolling Eyes

i'm not 100% sure but i remember something from my military past

Thats something that i allready understood. The thing i dont get is the diffrence between the actual combat load and this bridge class... how is it calculated...

cheers

#4: Re: Military Load Class Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 3:34 pm
    —
i don't know the calculation... maybe you can try to search a mathematics site and ask there.
I guess the difference is because the calculation exists of variables (the pressure or 'bodemdruk'). could be variable due of the speed... the more speed, the less pressure????
Now i also want to be sure.
wait out  Wink

#5: Re: Military Load Class Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:13 pm
    —
Once upon a time, when I was young and studied at the technical senior high school, we calculated on solid mechanics. When dealing with constructions for human use we had to add a safety factor of 0,1; -A elevator typed for 500 kg had to be able to take a load of 550 kg without compromising the safety of the construction.

Can the calculation of bridge classes be something like that?  Confused
(55.5 tons *1.1 = 61.05 tons, or to be exact: a safety factor of 0,08...)

I'm not sure, but that's my wild guess.

#6: Re: Military Load Class Author: SA2 PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:31 am
    —
Buck_Compton wrote (View Post):
Hey guys,

I was wondering how this number is calculated. I have been looking around on the internet but it only tells me the usual not how its calculated. What im wondering about is the following. Heavy vehicle's life fe the Pzh2000 have a class of 60 while their actual combat weight is 55.5 tons...

Suggestions?

Cheers Buck

Created by the British before WW2 and since then also used by the allies (nowadays NATO) the number on the vehicle is the bridge classification, in order to help bridge sentries determine the weight of vehicles wanting to cross so to avoid bridge failure due to overloading.
Vehicle operators may drive across without restrictions if their vehicles' class numbers are less than or equal to the bridge class number.
Now if you want to calculate your own vehicle :
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/library/policy/army/fm/5-170/appb.htm

Grz,

Sam.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1