Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

#141: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:37 pm
    —
Now that will make a great MMCC3 map... hmmm..ABTFMMCC3????

#142: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:23 pm
    —
Aaaargghhh!  Acronym meltdown!  :lol:

Actually, I just realised that "Market Garden" and "Monty's Gamble" have the same initials.

Hmmmm... a private joke by Eisenhower maybe?

Probably not.  Still... Operation: Monty's Gamble ... I'm really warming to that title.  

Could just be me though.  Confused

#143: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:27 pm
    —
Yes?  No?

omglogo.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  98.66 KB
 Viewed:  14938 Time(s)

omglogo.jpg

#144: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:29 pm
    —
Nice  Cool

#145: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:49 pm
    —
Strat Map looks amazing!
Glad to see that this mod is moving along nicely...well done!

#146: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:33 am
    —
Strat Map looks awesome indeed!
And I like the name too.  Laughing

#147: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:42 am
    —
I forgot to mention; whilst researching this mod I came across the Michael Jackson monument at the MacDonald's in Best...

... is all of the Netherlands huge MJ fans?  Or is it just the franchisee of the MacDonald's in Best?

#148: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:58 am
    —
who's michael jacksonand what's a macdonalds?

#149: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: southern_land PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:42 am
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):

hahahahaha  

Looks great Hoogley

#150: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:46 am
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):

LMAO

You need to get out more!  

Actually, no, you don't.  Best you stay sheltered from such things.

#151: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: QMLocation: Australia PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 am
    —
Hoogley wrote (View Post):
I forgot to mention; whilst researching this mod I came across the Michael Jackson monument at the MacDonald's in Best...

... is all of the Netherlands huge MJ fans?  Or is it just the franchisee of the MacDonald's in Best?

Neverland mate, Neverland.  Thats why it was called OMG.......

#152: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: Andreus PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:52 pm
    —
Well, actually Michael Jackson was great, not all the bullshit they're throwing around now... Buuuut ehm... Amazing strat map, again, Hoogley  Very Happy

#153: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:17 am
    —
Jesus.  I think I just worked out another reason to call it "the Island".

I'm looking at Google maps, at a section of road north of Elst where there are canals all over the place, and particularly two running alongside the road and isolating it from the fields.  It is almost literally an island.

If that landscape is the same as it was back in '44, no wonder the tanks had so much trouble.

I'm interested; how much research and intel' was put into the landscape and how it might effect the operation?  Is this another case like the Normandy boccage, where the allies just didn't think to consider ground level tactical realities, and instead just had a grand, wide zoom strategic plan?

Anyway...

I need some assistance if anyone can help: either, a) can anyone tell me a valid name for the map zone I've placed south of Arnhem on the Island, where the (name unknown) canal crosses the Corridor?  Or, b) is there a more specific location on the road where I should be placing this map zone, or a specific battle spot that I should be focusing on here?

I just put the map there because I figured it looked like a great place for an attack.  I don't know if the Germans in 1944 agreed with me or not.  That said, if this aerial from Google Maps is anything like it was back then, and nobody has any better suggestions, I am going to use this spot for a map.  It looks like it would be a good map to play.  Hard.  

I haven't looked at what map represent this area in LSA.

I am assuming the two lane highway is a new addition?  Anyone have access to wartime aerial photos or maps or such for this area?  WatWasWaar doesn't seem to have anything; it appears the only intel' photos they've got were from direct line recon passes over Arnhem, Nijmegen, and Eindhoven.  That may be all there is.

Cheers.

Last edited by Hoogley on Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:57 am; edited 1 time in total

#154: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:32 am
    —
Just looking at the WatWasWaar map: is that called the "Linge canal"?

#155: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:36 pm
    —
Hey Hoogley,

The name "The Island" was given by the Allies and corresponds with what in Holland is called "De Betuwe" and "Lingewaard" (east of Elst). The area is enclosed by the rivers Waal, Nederrijn and the canal connecting the two. The "Linge" runs through these areas, which must be the canal you are referring to.

#156: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:57 pm
    —
Was there any major action around where the Linge crossed the highway?

Again, check the link above to Google maps.  It looks like a great place for a battle, but I just want to make sure it's worth including historically, as I have to be frugal with map zones.

#157: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:09 pm
    —
Well, I added values to FPools for the 1st BG, being the 501 PIR, to a total of 26 team entries just to see if LSA would crash.

It didn't. In fact, everything worked fine.

I was worried that the fact there are negative value fillers up to a total of 25 per BG listing meant that was the maximum listings per BG. I assume the actual case is that each BG must have at least 25 listings to avoid engine crash. Who really cares... you can go above 25 and that's all that matters. I assume that 64 entries is the maxout point, which must be kept in consideration.

This is a fantastic result!

Huge variety of German units for OMG? Hell yes.

PS: If anybody has info regarding the above query about map placement, and feels compelled to comment, please do.

#158: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:32 pm
    —
Nice news on the FP's!

Haven't got (back) to the map in my readings, but looking at it it's a great place and it's on the road to Arnhem and it might be a valid map if the Allied player manage to follow through on the original plan.   Confused

But why the 'De Horst' map? All German attacks (and the US 82nd defence) in this area was at a broad-front. IMHO (unless you have "...a cunning plan, my lord") this map can be better used somewhere else.

Cheers

#159: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:44 pm
    —
I am open to suggestions my friend.

This is far from set in concrete, yet.

#160: Re: Operation Market Garden Mod for tLD Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:02 am
    —
I think Buck is the person to ask for aerial photos.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next  :| |:
Page 8 of 10