Players Debate - To disband or not?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:56 am
    —
An easy debate. I hope the outcome will give the pros in cons for most situations when a disband is possible.

Should you forcibly disband your opponents BG or not?

Last edited by mooxe on Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

#2: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: ActionJacksonDX PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 pm
    —
there is only 1 con i can see: you get to kill more enemy units on your next turn. but this does not count since your enemy can manually disband his bg in this case. unless your enemy has a different evaluation of the situation. in this case one of you two is wrong. Wink

ok, 1 more con that is possible but should be rare: it is evening, your opponent needs a bg at his nearest supply depot by tomorrow, and has no bgs in his disbanded pool atm.

#3: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:48 pm
    —
I do enjoy disbanding them on the AM turn to either rest my BG or move another one in on Turn 2 and still keep control of the map on Turn1 the next day.

#4: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: pagskier PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:00 pm
    —
I`ve never disband a Unit...
why would I do?

#5: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: vonB PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:33 pm
    —
As only a very occasional player of the CC games where disbanding is available, I am not sure that I have a great deal to contribute, but I do have a couple of comments:

The inability to 'retreat' is a major flaw IMO.  Disbanding is no substitute for a tactical withdrawl, and a very poor result for a Battlegroup being 'forced' to withdraw.  It smacks of a Strategic Game that has been inadequately thought out and implemented.  Retreating does present a more complicated handling for the developers.

I have some sympathy with pagskier's comment.  I have never (yet) felt the need to to disband any Battelgroup, though I have used them as 'cannon fodder' to delay the progress of enemy Battlegroups, and they can still deny supply lines to the enemy.  I guess they could clutter up and impeded manouvre of other Battlegroups, but as have as yet to experience the need.  In tLd, I have found even weak Battlegroups can hold the Allies on the Beaches until a stronger Battlegroup can be brought up to destroy them.

What is the main usefulness of disbanding Battlegroups?  I hope I am not arrogant enough to deny that it could be a useful function, so I am interested to hear what others have to say.

#6: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:58 pm
    —
I understand the question being...........Should you forcibly disband your opponents BG or not?

Not should I disband MY BG.

#7: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:59 pm
    —
Retreat/withdraw is a new feature in WaR and available to modders in tLD

#8: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:21 pm
    —
The only option available for WAR is disband.
Not Retreat/Withdraw.

#9: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:27 pm
    —
wrong

#10: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:28 pm
    —
Then show me where it is?

#11: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:29 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
The only option available for WAR is disband.
Not Retreat/Withdraw.

That option can be turned on/off in the campaign.txt file.

# BGs retreat on rout (0 = disband on rout, 1 = retreat on rout)

#12: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:58 pm
    —
in WaR the default is on - so it is enabled.

#13: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:40 am
    —
read the text (The allies retreated in disarray)

If you want to advance to the rear in a controlled manner you do that in the movement phase.

A0491.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  184.49 KB
 Viewed:  8147 Time(s)

A0491.jpg

#14: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: pagskier PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 4:09 am
    —
But I think retreat like in CC2

that would be awsome when you getting a beating, now you can`t do anything

#15: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:10 am
    —
you can fight like a man.

But, you are right.. you should have made the decision earlier but failed to, and you are now past the point of no return.... unless you have a friendly map to your rear that you can retreat to... .. like a get out of gaol free card...... if not you disband and reform at the rear.

In effect you are punished if you make poor operational level decisions, if you try to hang on for too long with inadequate forces then you suffer accordingly.

#16: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: vonB PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:33 pm
    —
Quote:
I understand the question being...........Should you forcibly disband your opponents BG or not?

Good point!  Not sure what to say until I have played more CCIV/V/WaR/tLD... but that may be some time off.

#17: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:53 pm
    —
For CC4/5 I would disband the enemy BG's to clear the map area and get rid of them for the day.

For WAR and TLD the decision is harder for armoured/motorized BG's as they can not move when they run out of fuel so it might be better to leave them on map where they can do no harm then have them gone for the day only to return next morning in supply....

Last edited by Tejszd on Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

#18: Re: Players Debate - To disband or not? Author: pagskier PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:30 pm
    —
But reargard fighting??
you get contact, fire a bit, hold up and then move back
and at the end retreat

or if your armor get knock out and then you get a counter attack and you know you can't hold ground...

retreat would be real usefull

as for disbanding I still don`t get it
do you get more forces if you disband a weak battlegroup?
as I read you lose forces so you better let it there

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1