Possible remedy to crashing?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Tech Support

#1: Possible remedy to crashing? Author: graves101Location: Ontario PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:04 am
    —
During my time playing cc5, especially over GR, the crashing at the end of battles had severely hampered the fluidity and progression of camps.

A few weeks back, I got the impression, it seemed, crashing was most frequent when I was engaged in furious combat in the last few seconds of battle. One of the attempts to solve this was agreeing to truce 10/15secs before the end. Over time, I found this to not really solve anything as there would still be crashes.

I guessed the main cause was the game overloading with both players frantically clicking buttons and giving orders right as the timer reached zero. In my Utah1.3 camp with sw711, I asked if we could both agree to refrain from giving any orders in the last 10 seconds of battle. I would usually type the "10secs" warning, since players have a habit of "forgetting" to check the clock. And amazingly to me, we were able to continue stretches of game sessions that lasted over 10 battles without a single crash, in fact, I don't recall having a single crash with sw711 over Game Ranger since starting this practice.

I tried it with other players, sometimes still having a crash pop up, so it must be imperative that both players comply with not giving orders, or doing anything that might cause a sudden rush of data. Whether you are host or remote, I think if either player is still "making moves" in-game, it contributes to a crash.

This is just a theory, something to think about. Also, I have not checked if this was brought up before. Your thoughts?

#2: Re: Possible remedy to crashing? Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:13 pm
    —
That was a big issue in the first years of CC3 with Ladder Games. Two players with already poor connection rapid ordering your tanks to fire at eachother for the last second win but no  ....crash.

#3: Re: Possible remedy to crashing? Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:21 pm
    —
Sounds a bit weird to me.

I have crashes maybe 1 in 100 games I host.
But accidentally, I started a GC on Stalingrad 1.2 with a Finn (fellow countryman) yesterday with a good connection, still the game kept crashing now and then.

I think it is as Brake said: poor connection.

#4: Re: Possible remedy to crashing? Author: Priapus PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:49 am
    —
I find wearing a bowler hat and singing the British national anthem for the opening 3 minutes of play has considerably reduced the frequency of crashes I experience.

#5: Re: Possible remedy to crashing? Author: graves101Location: Ontario PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:51 pm
    —
I'm a little more traditional, I just chant "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"

But that's just me, seems to work just fine.

I now habitually refrain from giving orders in the last 10-15 secs. I haven't crashed in a 'coon's age.

#6: Re: Possible remedy to crashing? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:55 pm
    —
I have tried to track this down over the years. Its almost impossible to do since you have to do it in a multiplayer game. I always suspected slightly different versions of DirectX DirectPlay were installed.

It could very well be the code of Close Combat though.

#7: Re: Possible remedy to crashing? Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:22 am
    —
Old tech will crash.

Close Combat Series -> Tech Support

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1