CC IRC Chat Room?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:50 pm
    —
While Hamachi does offer a general network chat...it is limited to a certain number (not exactly sure) of users. Having an IRC channel would allow people to meet up, chat and then choose which method they might like to have a game with (GR, BHQ, Hamachi, etc). While sure this would now create yet another place for people to meet up, it would at least allow people to leave mIRC or whatever IRC app you'd like running and could quickly find an opponent.

I know an IRC server that would work for this and could setup a channel quickly if people think it would be a good idea. I think it would be cool for the large CC meets you guys were having. Then you could as many people as you want in one chat room.

#2: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:18 pm
    —
I once asked about this in SB and Mooxe replied that it has been once tried, but the channel was most of the time empty or couple of members in it so he/someone put it down.

#3: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:46 pm
    —
Well you have to get people to realize it is useful. Hamachi fills up too easily. No one seems to use BHQ, which I don't understand since it seems to offer a great way to play every CC.

In an IRC channel as many people as want to can leave their IRC clients running, people do it now with Hamachi, except on IRC a room with 50 people AFK is no big.

#4: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:28 pm
    —
BHQ covers all you want and comes installed with the games.

Why this site promotes other sites like Hamachi which don't work as well as BHQ is beyond my comprehension.

#5: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:13 pm
    —
Yeah I don't understand it either. I'd love ot use BHQ all the time.

#6: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: vonB PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:37 am
    —
Not only that, I wrote the BHQ Skin Changer Utility released for CoI which makes BHQ a bit more appealing (I hate the default UI), and I might be prepared to modify it to work with the current release(s) of BHQ if there was a demand...

It is simple, slick, and friendly, with auto launch of H2H Games, easy to set up 'Rooms' both Public and private, and no limitations of how many use it.  Combined with Teamspeak (which I think is the best voice comms for playing over games), I think they provide a very good playing environment.

I too do not understand the lack of interest in it...

#7: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:02 am
    —
I never considered using BHQ because there's never any players there. Also, there are problems with it - when you launch BHQ it asks you what language to use, but I don't see a list of choices. If I hit enter, it selects English. Okay np, if I try to private message someone I can't see the text.  Rolling Eyes

BHQ - Private Message.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  534.92 KB
 Viewed:  10403 Time(s)

BHQ - Private Message.jpg

BHQ - Choose Language.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  385.03 KB
 Viewed:  10403 Time(s)

BHQ - Choose Language.jpg

#8: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:07 am
    —
There's one lobby and I can't even see it.

#9: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: vonB PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:07 am
    —
Change the font colour in the options.

BHQ does have its wrinkles, but they are very minor IMO, though I think it could do with some upgrading to make it more appealing, but it is the simplest and slickest system I have yet to come across as a Game Lobby.  For me, functionality wins over flash any day of the week...

#10: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: vonB PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:08 am
    —
Choose the Lobbies you want in the Options....

#11: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:09 am
    —
Your right, the text was set to black on a black background.  Laughing

#12: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:36 am
    —
yeah by default it's black on black...I had to change mine as well.

#13: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:58 pm
    —
More issues, once I open a room I can't close/destroy it. When I hit "launch game", it locked the room. BHQ is setup so I need to manually launch the game first, and then set the multiplayer options like you would using Hamachi,(TCP+Host) - then have the other player search for a game using my ip.

Another thing, I don't see anything in the center boxes.

BHQ 01.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  582.5 KB
 Viewed:  10386 Time(s)

BHQ 01.jpg

#14: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:45 pm
    —
Another pic of my config...

BHQ 02.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  570.49 KB
 Viewed:  10382 Time(s)

BHQ 02.jpg

#15: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 pm
    —
I found out that the top center box is for chat.

#16: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:41 pm
    —
type in the text box below the middle top box hit ENTER and your conversation appears.

couldn't be simpler

When you create a room

type in the bottom text box and conversation appears in the box above... visible only to people in your room.

#17: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:47 pm
    —
see pic

BHQ1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  274.5 KB
 Viewed:  10452 Time(s)

BHQ1.jpg

#18: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:54 pm
    —
more BHQ help

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2049703&mpage=1&key=&#2502926

#19: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:13 pm
    —
Yes, it's an easy to use program like GameSpy and other game browsers but why do I need to log out to exit a room I create?. Once I create a room I can't venture elsewhere. So it forces me to log out and back in.

#20: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:14 pm
    —
I'm asking questions because there's no one around in BHQ to test this program out.  Wink

#21: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:51 pm
    —
For those who are reading I was having problems because I didn't have the latest update of BHQ. I though I did because I have the latest beta patches installed for both CoI and WaR, and I though they included an updated version of BHQ also. Thanks for your help Schrecken.

BHQ Update
http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/WaR/WaRmods.html

#22: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:54 pm
    —
I installed the latest BHQ update, then moved on to installing .NET Framework v2.0 and restarted my computer - in order to change the BHQ skins. I launched the Skin Changer and changed the default skin. I opened up BHQ and no change was made, with the Skin Changer open I tried changing it again and it did nothing. I guess it only works on the old BHQ version?, included with CoI, WaR and TLD.

By the way, destroying a room now works.  Smile

BHQ Skin Changer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  407.24 KB
 Viewed:  6043 Time(s)

BHQ Skin Changer.jpg

#23: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:11 pm
    —
After installing BHQ it forces me to use DirectPlay, if I set it to not use DirectPlay the setting will stay until I logout, when I log back in it's set to use DirectPlay again.  Sad

#24: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:04 pm
    —
Battlehq.com contains some suspicious malware.
I don´t recommend using it.

#25: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:33 pm
    —
Then why would S3T support it?, they include it with their games.

#26: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:04 pm
    —
Tippi-Simo wrote (View Post):

Who drops a post like this with nothing to support it?  What is this malware? How did you discover it?

If it's there why would Matrix promote it?

#27: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:28 pm
    —
Dundradal wrote (View Post):

Who drops a post like this with nothing to support it?  What is this malware? How did you discover it?

If it's there why would Matrix promote it?

Well I use Avast Home and I have tried to go to the main page of BattleHq (to make an account) and avast gives a popup for suspicious malware.

#28: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:11 pm
    —

Well I use Avast Home and I have tried to go to the main page of BattleHq (to make an account) and avast gives a popup for suspicious malware.

I use AVG Free and just scanned the make an account page and it came back fine.

There's also a huge difference between "BHQ has malware" and "the account creation site returns a malware warning." And are you sure it's not a false-positive? Did you send a message to matrix informing them of these results?

#29: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:25 pm
    —
Get the new BHQ and you won't go to the wrong web page...

there is no malware installed with BHQ

if you go to an old webpage your scanners will report positive

Don't use directplay works for me.

nearly all settings in BhQ do0n't become active until you log out then back in.

#30: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:47 pm
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):
Don't use directplay works for me.

nearly all settings in BhQ do0n't become active until you log out then back in.

It's working now, I had to exit and re-load BHQ for it to save the change. Logging out and back in didn't work.  Confused

#31: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:53 pm
    —
About my other question - why can't I change skins for BHQ?.

#32: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:38 pm
    —
Thanks Schrecken for that info. I need to fully setup my BHQ soon. Hamachi is a giant pain in the ass without Mooxe cleaning out the networks.

#33: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:09 pm
    —
In the CSO BHQ Skin Library, in the "About" tab, it says that you need a CSO installed version of BHQ.

#34: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:19 pm
    —
the skin changer is out of date.

vonb has said he may update it to work with newer BHQ versions

#35: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:35 pm
    —
I'm going to always log into both BHQ and Hamachi since the networks are full and the only way to stay on a network is to be an asshole too and not leave the network....ugh.

I might just open GR and BHQ and see what happens.

#36: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:38 pm
    —
I'm in the COI room for those looking around.

#37: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:04 am
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):

if you go to an old webpage your scanners will report positive

I used the icon in TLD folder which connected me to BHQ, but I need to create an account.
That´s when the malware stuff popped up when it directed me to battlehq.com.

So where is this new page where I can create an account?

Thanks in advance Smile

#38: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:51 am
    —
get the updated BHQ from here

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/LongestDay/tLDmods.html

#39: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:26 am
    —
Another question....

Is it a choice whether to use DirectPlay or not? I'm a little confused by the thread at Matrix. I see instructions for WAR, but is that true for the early CCs and COI, WAR and TLD?

#40: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:11 pm
    —
Go here Tippi, you can get the latest version of BHQ there as well.  http://www.wargamer.com/battlehq/

#41: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:21 pm
    —
Dundradal, you can use BHQ like you would Hamachi if you like.

Open BHQ.
Open Configure and select the box to allow people see your IP.
Create a room in the preferred game lobby.
Wait for another person to join your room.
The other person can now get your IP by hovering over your name in the "Room Users" box.
Launch the game manually with the games shortcut.
Goto Multiplayer and select TCP.
Then select host.
Alt+Tab out of the game into BHQ.
Let the other player know that they can now search for a game.

#42: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:43 pm
    —
The other player will need to launch the game also, through the games shortcut.
Goto Muiltiplayer and select Internet TCP/IP.
Select the Hosts IP box and enter in your IP address then hit ok.
After that, search for a game.

#43: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:34 pm
    —
I understand that. But can I also use DirectPlay like GR and do that? It wasn't clear if you had to use the above way just for WAR or for every CC.

#44: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:19 pm
    —
Just look in your BHQ configuration/options, select what you want to use.

#45: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:31 am
    —
Dampsquib and I have been messing around with BHQ today. I'm thinking I'm going to make the move. It has all the features of Hamachi AND it has the ability for DirectPlay if you'd like. It also supports every CC released. hamachi fills up too easily with people who aren't there. On BHQ you can do that all you want and not prevent others from playing.

#46: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:25 am
    —
Directplay works perfect with COI on BHQ. Dampsquib and I played quite a few battles of our GC through it.

Also updated our AAR at Matrix forums.

#47: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: vonB PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:34 am
    —
This could be timely.  I am working on a prototype Operation Game for multiplayer (and in due course single player), and I am going to be looking at integrating BHQ into the Game Interface using the SDK.  Its going to be a walk in the dark for me as it takes me into a level of programming my home spun hacking hasn't taken me yet, but the prospect is appealing, so I am going to have a go.  This will mean having some friendly types willing to play test the connectivity, and put up with the hassles in the early stages.

The Project is CCOPS (No, no 'C' Cops  Wink ), but Close Combat Operations.  Soon the first useable interface will be ready and I hope someone will join in (actually, in due course, I hope a heap of people will join in!), because some of the technology is too advanced for me in terms of coding interactive graphics and other stuff.  In the meantime, I do what I can with what I am able, and the Project is about exploring the possibilities, rather than trying to nail the best thing since sliced bread in one hit (step by step... if it works, then the real thing can come phase 2+).  I'll post more soon...

#48: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:01 am
    —
I'm just going to start using BHQ more. It's much better suited to players needs than Hamachi.

#49: Re: CC IRC Chat Room? Author: Dundradal PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:33 pm
    —
Setting up an IRC room would be simple as well and for those not familiar with IRC a Javachat link could be created from the main page here that anyone can just click on and lead them to the room.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1