Thoughts on destroyed buildings
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: Spinlock PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:14 pm
    —
I've implemented a feature into CCSS that allows the chance of buildings to be partially or completely destroyed by heavy weapons.  Any soldiers inside at the time get an unpleasant and fatal surprise.
This could theoretically have a major impact on the way fights play out.  
What do you guys think?
Any feedback is appreciated.

#2: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:54 pm
    —
I'm a reality-freak, so I say: Go for it!
(And it's been in ASL, the beloved board-game, since the dark-age of physical games that the cat can slaughter...)

#3: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 6:28 am
    —
I'm glad to see that you continue working on this. What are your intentions with this 'screensaver' ? Do you intend to develop it into a game, whether commercial or not?

#4: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: Spinlock PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:58 pm
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
I'm glad to see that you continue working on this. What are your intentions with this 'screensaver' ? Do you intend to develop it into a game, whether commercial or not?

I have some ambitious plans, But it a lot of it depends on the amount of interest outside my own.

The reason I ask about the destroyable buildings is that the value of placing units a multi-level buildings diminishes by a lot when a tank can sit back and [potentially] bring down the whole building with a few shots of HE from across the map.

Collapsible buildings add more realism i think, But In a playable scenario, the defender would not be too happy with the offender employing a scorched earth policy at the beginning of every match.

#5: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:21 pm
    —
It would be interesting to see how the LSA exploding/destroyed bridges could be adapted to other terrain elements , such as buildings

#6: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:33 pm
    —
After X days of fighting on a map, maybe the map can turn to X% rubble.

#7: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:15 pm
    —
Only if they are hit be something that explodes... otherwise it will be a bit silly.

#8: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: buufaceLocation: Thailand PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 7:26 am
    —
It would take quite a few shots to completely bring down a building, surely...

#9: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: kastaLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:23 pm
    —
Damaged terrain and buildings would be, of course great.
It would turn to rubble and still be good for cover.
Picture city maps full of building being leveled! Have wood structures catch on fire or parts of forests...
Problem is I think that this game could not handle the coding for all this tuning up programming.
I would like to also see more smoke effects, as when a tank or gun fires. More smoke from granades,fires ect..
This is not just visual ehcances ,you could use the chaos of smoke and fire to cover your moves.
Anything done to improve on 1of the BEST games EVER made would be amazing. {but damn difficult to do!}

#10: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: vonB PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:26 pm
    —
Surely you must have seen war footage of buildings being hit by HE?  Whether the whole structure comes down will depend on a variety of things, such as size and strength of build, power of the explosive projectile, where it hits, and the number of hits, buts I recall seeing footage of a Russian 152mm(?) in Berlin taking down a whole end of terrace house with a single shot (apparantly), and the flying debris was awesome.

However, even with the intense aerial bomardments where thousands of tonnes of TNT were dropped on urban areas,  there was a huge variety of destruction, from total to partial.

I would say that modelling the effects of HE on buildings (and the consequences for anyone inhabiting them at the time, or even close) can only increase the 'reality' of the sim, and I would be for it.

I am also in favour of having multi level capability for buildings.  How it can be handled is an interesting challenge, but the current presentation in CC is limited and artificial.  I may want an infantry team to occupy the top floor, but in house to house, that would allow the enemy to access the ground floor.  What if I want to split a Team in a house between different floors?  Again, that brings up practical issues on how to conduct deployemtn and combat inside buildings, but it would still add an extra dimesnion to the game which I would like to see.

#11: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:46 am
    —
Large assault guns  were often used in street warfare to systematically destroy buildings where infantry were holed up. At Arnhem the Germans did just that. In the BoB, possibly using lessons learnt, US airborne forces deliberately did not use buildings as defensive positions in some cases to avoid just that. Once the superstructure of the building comes down, what remains does also become great cover so its a strategy that requires the building to be captured immediately after you have brought it down. If you were simulating this I would suggest that buildings are segmented so that the destruction for a large building would be partial, ie within the segment, where as a small building may only have one segment.

#12: Re: Thoughts on destroyed buildings Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:28 pm
    —
Quote:
Large assault guns  were often used in street warfare to systematically destroy buildings where infantry were holed up.

to destroy brick building you need really large assault gun Smile.

Quote:
At Arnhem the Germans did just that.

they just shot smoke shells inside Wink.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1