Theatre of War with sequels
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Theatre of War with sequels Author: Ejergard PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:09 pm
    —
I'm surprised no one has brought up this subject so far in the alternate fronts forum yet.
I just saw this title on steam and got curious. Apparently the intended player group are the hardcore grognards who puts realism above all else, so I immediately thought of CCS Smile
Has anyone tried this or any of the sequels? First one is from 2007, and the two sequels are from 2009.
What are your opinions? Is it worth buying?

#2: Re: Theatre of War with sequels Author: Andreus PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 pm
    —
I have Theatre of War 2, the afrika one...
It's a fine game, really fancy graphics and a few cool stuff. It could be considered as the 3d CC successor

BUT

The handling is awfull, controlling the infantry is a nightmare, the tanks can't seem to stop at a location (the defend command doesn't seem to work right), they're always moving and usually getting kncoked out in the process (like when your sherman starts spinning for no reason in CC, instead of shooting) and the auto pause is definetly annoying, when you have a crewman getting killed at the opposite side of the map, it automatically scrolls there, messing all your orders...

I think The kursk standalone expansion has fixed many of those things, but as I've only tried the demo, can't tell much about it...

Anyway, it disappointed me pretty much. CC remains way superior...

#3: Re: Theatre of War with sequels Author: Ejergard PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:53 am
    —
Hm, then it sounds like it might be worth trying, it was pretty cheap on steam, 9 euro for the first game, and 19 euro for the sequel. It seems that there have been some pretty heavy patching post release and there's mods for it aswell.

Btw, I read another review that said you can shut off the auto pause thingy

#4: Re: Theatre of War with sequels Author: Andreus PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:14 am
    —
Yeah, you can configure it for the Kursk sequel, so no more annoying auto scrolling.

Still the tanks seem to do what they want. If you order them to shoot at something that gets out of LOS, the tank starts chasing it, instead of staying where it is. No good if they enemy has AT guns around...
But yeah, it's worth a try. All the graphics are amazing: you can feel the power of a 88 shell when hitting your sherman and taking pieces of equipment out the armor...

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1