Race, how many there are..
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Race, how many there are.. Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:35 pm
    —
Hey all,

I just wanted to make a short poll here.
How many of you believe that we are different races (Caucasians,Asians,Blacks plus others).?
Or are we the same?

#2: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:51 pm
    —
There's two

Us and the Finns

#3: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: vonB PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:12 pm
    —
Chortle...

#4: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: Andreus PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:13 pm
    —
Black, white, yellow and... Green!

#5: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:55 pm
    —
FROM DARWIN TO HITLER:

EVOLUTIONARY ETHICS, EUGENICS, AND RACISM IN GERMANY

by

Richard Weikart

#6: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: Priapus PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 am
    —
We are all the same species. Science has proven this. fin.

#7: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:40 am
    —
Terran, Protoss and Zerg.

#8: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: graves101Location: Ontario PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm
    —
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_genetics

#9: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:31 pm
    —
*Yawns* @ Tippo-Simo you really are a pathetic

#10: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:11 pm
    —
CC has nationalities, not races.

#11: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:02 pm
    —
Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

My only reply to this:

Look at the banner...  Rolling Eyes

#12: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:35 pm
    —
Interestingly enough, this question got me wondering: what does the delineation of "race" actually mean, anyway?

So, I referenced Wikipedia:

Race (biological) wrote:
In biology, races are distinct genetically divergent populations within the same species with relatively small morphological and genetic differences. The populations can be described as ecological races if they arise from adaptation to different local habitats or geographic races when they are geographically isolated. If sufficiently different, two or more races can be identified as subspecies, which is an official biological taxonomy unit subordinate to species. If not, they are denoted as races, which means that a a formal rank should not be given to the group, or taxonomists are unsure whether or not a formal rank should be given. According to Ernst W. Mayr, "a subspecies is a geographic race that is sufficiently different taxonomically to be worthy of a separate name"

Race (classification of humans) wrote:
Race refers to the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics.[1]
Conceptions and groupings of races vary over time and reflect societal customs [2][3][4] in defining essential types of individuals based on perceived sets of traits.
As a biological term, race describes genetically divergent populations of humans that can be marked by common phenotypic and genotypic traits.[5] This sense of race is often used in forensic anthropology analyzing skeletal remains, biomedical research, and race-based medicine.[6]
Race, however, has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.[7][8] Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy.[9][10]
The study of shared traits among peoples is also conducted along ethnic lines, involving the endogamic history of groups.

So, the total value of meaning given to biological race is "relatively small morphological and genetic differences/divergence within a species"

Whereas, the total value of meaning for race (classification of humans) starts with the biological value and has the addition of "the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics" which is allocated a conditional/variable of "varies over time and reflects societal customs", with the subtractive, "Race has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens. Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy."

It seems to me then that the term "race" when relating to humans starts to become a bit abstruse and hence actually looses value of meaning by it's impurity of definition.  

Likewise, from a purely biological definition it's used to delineate fairly minor variances and hence holds a reasonably insignificant position in the  taxonomical pyramid.

So, to answer the question as best I can:

[Do] you believe that we are different races (Caucasians,Asians,Blacks plus others).?  Depends what your definition of "race" is.

are we the same? Depends what your definition of "same" is.

Well, I hope that clears everything up.

#13: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: vonB PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:44 pm
    —
Quote:

Yup, sure does...  Cool though it depends what your definition is of 'hope', 'clears', and 'everything'...

Sometimes, I think I am from a different planet... or is that just my wife telling me in my less lucid moments...  Wink

#14: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: Andreus PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:32 pm
    —
7A_Woulf wrote (View Post):
Laughing   Laughing   Laughing

My only reply to this:

Look at the banner...  Rolling Eyes

Got that same banner Woulf  Laughing ! I thought those adds were set by google for the user, not the website...

#15: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:19 pm
    —
vonB wrote (View Post):
my wife

eh now! those WIVES creatures are some other race Razz

#16: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:48 pm
    —
Andreus wrote (View Post):

Got that same banner Woulf  Laughing ! I thought those adds were set by google for the user, not the website...

OMG! If that's the case with Google, I wonder what the kids are doing by the computer when I don't look!?

"Interracial dating"
"Find your Russian beauty"
"Find your Vietnamese beauty"

-Hell, I don't use dating sites to get turned down, when I can go to the pub and get drunk while doing it!  Wink

#17: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: Therion PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:01 am
    —
Hoogley wrote (View Post):
Interestingly enough, this question got me wondering: what does the delineation of "race" actually mean, anyway?

So, I referenced Wikipedia:

Race (biological) wrote:
In biology, races are distinct genetically divergent populations within the same species with relatively small morphological and genetic differences. The populations can be described as ecological races if they arise from adaptation to different local habitats or geographic races when they are geographically isolated. If sufficiently different, two or more races can be identified as subspecies, which is an official biological taxonomy unit subordinate to species. If not, they are denoted as races, which means that a a formal rank should not be given to the group, or taxonomists are unsure whether or not a formal rank should be given. According to Ernst W. Mayr, "a subspecies is a geographic race that is sufficiently different taxonomically to be worthy of a separate name"

Race (classification of humans) wrote:
Race refers to the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics.[1]
Conceptions and groupings of races vary over time and reflect societal customs [2][3][4] in defining essential types of individuals based on perceived sets of traits.
As a biological term, race describes genetically divergent populations of humans that can be marked by common phenotypic and genotypic traits.[5] This sense of race is often used in forensic anthropology analyzing skeletal remains, biomedical research, and race-based medicine.[6]
Race, however, has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens.[7][8] Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy.[9][10]
The study of shared traits among peoples is also conducted along ethnic lines, involving the endogamic history of groups.

So, the total value of meaning given to biological race is "relatively small morphological and genetic differences/divergence within a species"

Whereas, the total value of meaning for race (classification of humans) starts with the biological value and has the addition of "the classification of humans into populations or groups based on various factors such as culture, language, social practice or heritable characteristics" which is allocated a conditional/variable of "varies over time and reflects societal customs", with the subtractive, "Race has no official biological taxonomic significance — all humans belong to the same hominid subspecies, Homo sapiens sapiens. Nor is there scientific basis for any racial or ethnic hierarchy."

It seems to me then that the term "race" when relating to humans starts to become a bit abstruse and hence actually looses value of meaning by it's impurity of definition.  

Likewise, from a purely biological definition it's used to delineate fairly minor variances and hence holds a reasonably insignificant position in the  taxonomical pyramid.

So, to answer the question as best I can:

[Do] you believe that we are different races (Caucasians,Asians,Blacks plus others).?  Depends what your definition of "race" is.

are we the same? Depends what your definition of "same" is.

#18: Re: Race, how many there are.. Author: mr-jaakoxe PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:40 pm
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):
There's two

Us and the Finns

wy others and finns? Shocked

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1