Best Close Combat Scene..
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:13 pm
    —
Hey all,

What do you say?
What is the best close combat scene from movies?

I say:

9th Company,
when the the first Afghan assault begins (on the hill).
Link

#2: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:24 pm
    —
The Lost Battalion has some very amazing scenes of really close combat, there's one with flamethrowers even, looks very real.

#3: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:27 pm
    —
Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
The Lost Battalion has some very amazing scenes of really close combat, there's one with flamethrowers even, looks very real.

Damn , I think I have missed that.
That whole movie makes WWI looks like a small boy scout camp.

#4: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:30 pm
    —
Thats one of the worst I have ever seen.

Russians only yell.

No aimed shots by either side.

Massive automatic spraying into the crowd of Taliban by heavy and light guns maybe hits a couple of guys. They are almost standing shoulder to shoulder, I mean come on!

A group of like 100 Taliban literally WALKS to a heavily armed Russian outpost and overruns them.

This is a B movie for teenagers.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0417397/board/nest/37685442

#5: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:39 pm
    —
Hey,

Don´t blame me! It was the vodka, but still what is the best scene old boy?
And hey, it´s just entertainment.

#6: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:39 pm
    —
The Pacific raises the bar on combat scenes.

#7: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: vonB PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:00 pm
    —
It's a toss up between the end of Cross of Iron, with shit and chaos all around, where Stransky exclaims he doesn't know how to reload his MP40, and Steiner just roars with laughter, or...

Kelly's Hero's... just too many Oddball one liners to mention  Laughing   the one about "to a New Yorker, a Tiger is just some kind of wierd sandwich...", or "the only way I have to distract a Tiger is to let it shoot holes in me!..." to mention but two...

but seriously, for sheer visceral gut wrenching realism, it's hard to beat the opening of Saving Private Ryan.

#8: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:02 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

So perhaps Sex and the City is something your standards can accept?
Why watch and waste your time with war movies when they are disgusting for you?

#9: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 6:08 pm
    —
Tippi-Simo wrote (View Post):
mooxe wrote (View Post):

So perhaps Sex and the City is something your standards can accept?
Why watch and waste your time with war movies when they are disgusting for you?

When you say best close combat scene... best translates for me atleast into best demonstration of the use of firepower in combat and its effects on people. Acting, character development and that stuff play a supporting role in the demonstration of combat to get you immersed into what the soldiers experienced. The clip from the 9th you posted, is exactly opposite of my interpretation of best.

SPR raised the bar of realism back in 1998. Every subsequent film released by that group raised it again.

#10: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: tedy28 PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:05 pm
    —
I like this moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRNbcCobcvA&feature=related
and this Smile))))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsyYvFgdb5c&feature=related

#11: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: graves101Location: Ontario PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:28 pm
    —
I've always liked this scene from Stalingrad. The Soviet Tank attack in the snow.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVvoo1qFPDo

Although it's aged, it's a realistic engagement. I like how the one schutzen starts frantically digging in his dugout once he sees the T34s coming.

Also, how they wait for the tanks to drive right over their little pits, so they can place magnetic bombs on the tank's rear... that has to be one of the most ballsy things you could attempt. Who knows if your dugout is deep or strong enough to keep the tank from squashing you like a bug?

#12: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Priapus PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:36 am
    —
Stanley Kubrik was a god damn genius.

Link

edit: and whilst I'm at it:

Link

#13: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:17 pm
    —
Children of Men is a GREAT movie.

#14: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Priapus PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:16 am
    —
pvt_Grunt wrote (View Post):
Children of Men is a GREAT movie.

Yeah, definitely ranked in my top 5. I even bought the book it was based on after I first saw it (which is terrible btw). That scene I posted is apparently 4 different recordings spliced together, although I can only spot 1 or 2 likely edits after much scrutiny.

tedy28 wrote (View Post):
I like this moment
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRNbcCobcvA&feature=related
and this Smile))))
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsyYvFgdb5c&feature=related  

I never understood that scene. What are all those SS guys doing hanging out in an open field? I mean, that's a CC AI deployment.

#15: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: Andreus PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:15 pm
    —
What i can't understand is that they don't kill the first guy alone, instead of frightening and weting their pants...

#16: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:22 pm
    —

Link

This is not the best but it is good

#17: Re: Best Close Combat Scene.. Author: graves101Location: Ontario PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:48 pm
    —
I've read the BoB book, and in regards to the turkey shoot in "Crossroads", the SS were in assembly at their starting positions just before initiating an attack - you're really vulnerable at this point if the enemy catches you off guard, which is exactly what Easy Company did. Easy was really lucky in coming around from practically the SS's rear, and the Germans where so focused on their upcoming advance; American troops assaulting from the side/rear caught them completely unawares and having no idea what to do except run like chickens.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1