Question about Stug 40G
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

#1: Question about Stug 40G Author: LostTemple PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:20 am
    —
Could someone clarify exactly what this tank is?  Can't seem to find much information on it.  Is it the same thing as the Stug III ausf G?  And if it's not, what are the differences between it and other stugs?

thanks in advance for the help

#2: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: Sapa PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:32 am
    —
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=5598

#3: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: LostTemple PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:32 am
    —
thanks Sapa!

hmmm....let's see if I understood the article correctly.  The Stug 40G is the same as the Stug III ausf G but it has the Stuk40 gun?

btw....thanks for your mod BoB!  I appreciate the comments you have left for me on my youtube vidoes! Smile

#4: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:08 am
    —
After StuG received 7.5cm StuK40 gun in 1942 it was named as StuG40G.
In 1944 when StuGIV entered production StuG40G was renamed to StuGIII.

#5: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:46 pm
    —
Only the Germans could come up with such a system..

Calling their StugIV a stug III

A bit like their Panther naming convention nice easy ABCD... but we'll make our own order for the Alphabet.

#6: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:59 am
    —
Aha

re-read your post Dima!!

Do you think the change was just to avoid confusion with a 4/IV in both vehicles names... or was there another reason for the rename?

So, started Life as a Stug III, renamed Stug 40 when it got the Long gun, then renames Stug III again when Stug IV went into production.

Almost makes me open my encylopaedia of armoured vehicles... but that can wait for another time.

#7: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: Dima PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:59 am
    —
Quote:
Do you think the change was just to avoid confusion with a 4/IV in both vehicles names... or was there another reason for the rename?

yes, as both had 7.5cm StuK40 Smile.

pretty same with JagdPanzer IV, when it received 7.5cm StuK42 it was renamed to Panzer IV/70 Wink.

#8: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: buufaceLocation: Thailand PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:34 am
    —
were there any Panzer IV/70 in the Normandy campaign?

#9: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: Dima PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:50 am
    —
Quote:
were there any Panzer IV/70 in the Normandy campaign?

nope.

#10: Re: Question about Stug 40G Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:59 am
    —
Further reading

Quote:
In March of 1942, Ausf F entered production. It was not only an assault gun but also a badly needed tank destroyer. Early models were mounted with long 75mm StuK 40 L/43 and late models (31) with longer L/48 gun. It was produced until September 1942 with 359(360) produced. Ausf F was then replaced by Ausf F/8 armed exclusively with L/48 gun. It was produced until December of 1942 with 334 produced. Ausf F/8 paved the way for final Sturmgeschutz III model - Ausf G. Stug III Ausf F, F/8 and G’s were also called Stug III (40), because they were all armed with 75mm StuK 40 guns. Stug III Ausf F and Ausf F/8 were produced by Alkett and their official designation was Gepanzerter Selbstfahrlafette fur Sturmgeschutz 7.5cm Sturmkanone 40 Ausf F-F/8 / Sd.Kfz.142/1

http://www.achtungpanzer.com/sturmgeschutz-iii-sturmgeschutz-iv.htm

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat 5: Invasion Normandy

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1