Engineer, pioneer
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat The Longest Day

#1: Engineer, pioneer Author: cospas PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:36 pm
    —
Hi all,

I am posting this thread cause i would like to know what is the uses of engineer squad or pioneer.

Following the manual, they can remove mine, that's all about them. Is there anothere usage for them? are they elite troop?

#2: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:02 pm
    —
personaly, I use them as assault squads in buildings or fortified positions. They are very good in close combat actions.

#3: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: Dfox PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:37 pm
    —
cospas wrote (View Post):

Following the manual, they can remove mine...

They can, but don't do it. Or very, very seldom  Sad

#4: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:50 pm
    —
They are excellent for close quarters like Manoi says. Infact, they are best used in short run fast commands. If I can I usually engage a position with rifle squads to attract the enemy fire. Once the enemy is pinned, send in the engineers. They are especially effective with flamethrowers.

The units with flamethrowers can be used in the opposite way I describe. Supress an enemy unit with the flamethrower either by a direct hit or aiming somewhat close. If its hits or hits close enough they will get supressed by one shot. Rush in your rifle teams then. This method keeps casualties lower for your engineer teams, which is helpful as you don't usually have many of them.

#5: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: Dfox PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:01 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
..., which is helpful as you don't usually have many of them.

Yes. Because their primary task should be removing mines, not assaulting. I insist  Wink

#6: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: cospas PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:19 pm
    —
Now  i know them better. They are very powerfull with their explosives which can blow an entire squad easely.

#7: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:17 pm
    —
When you hear the charge being thrown, get all your men in ambush mode right away.

#8: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:19 am
    —
in TLD the germans have pioneers which have 1 satchel charge and 1 more man in the squad than a regular german grenadier squad. the have 1 MP 40 and and the rest of the squad has rifles.
i believe the germans pioneers were set up simalair in WAR as well.

its my understanding that german pioneers would have more weapons, more assault weapons like MG's and MORE explosives, satchel charges and grenades.

i dont know why there are so lame now in the 2 games?? and i dont know where mooxe is getting the flamethrowers from in TLD?

now german assault enginners is another matter........flamethrowers and all the above pioneer equipment......im wondering why there isnt any of these squads in TLD and WAR. especially WAR and in the premier german BG's.

can this be remedied matrix guru's?

i havent had a real good look at the allied engineers in TLD yet....been playing german side too much.

#9: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: CiggyLocation: Nelson PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:06 pm
    —
still doesnt answer my question about whether they repair vehicles etc

#10: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:09 pm
    —
Dfox wrote (View Post):

Are you moving them in Sneak mode? The slower they go the better the job they can do....

#11: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:17 pm
    —
i believe the manual says if you sneak your engineers or pioneers then they remove mines, other than that they do not FIX anything. as the others have said there very good assault troops when used properly.

#12: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: Dima PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:41 am
    —
Quote:
its my understanding that german pioneers would have more weapons, more assault weapons like MG's and MORE explosives, satchel charges and grenades.

they had same squad organization as infantry squad, although they were trained with HE and other special weapons.

Quote:
now german assault enginners is another matter........flamethrowers and all the above pioneer equipment......im wondering why there isnt any of these squads in TLD and WAR. especially WAR and in the premier german BG's.

there were no such units as assault engineers.
FTs were unallocated and when needed, were just given to an engineer squad.

#13: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:36 am
    —
Ciggy wrote (View Post):
still doesnt answer my question about whether they repair vehicles etc

We are still waiting for that feature, along with Medics and Atomic health packs for instant level ups.

#14: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:22 pm
    —
Right now I'm playing Dima's TRSM mod for GJS as the allied and I very rarely use engineer as anything but a kind of ad-hoc tank destroyer crew. When I run out of designated AT troops, I break out the engineers. They have been known to at least immobilize tanks.

#15: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: Dfox PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:58 pm
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Dfox wrote (View Post):

Are you moving them in Sneak mode? The slower they go the better the job they can do....

Yes. I moved them in Sneak mode. Moreover, sometimes I moved 3 or 4 squads across the same small part of minefield, but no one mine was removed  Confused

#16: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2011 3:39 pm
    —
Yeah, have just tested - they don't clear mines in CC5

#17: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: ArmeeGruppeSud PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:12 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Was it in the original stock cc5, TLD, or a mod that you did the test in?

In stock cc3 and DOF mods the engineers do clear mines (provided they crawl through the minefield).

Maybe the fault is in the text files, if ithe teams are not marked "-1" in the last column of the teams file, they certainly wont clear mines.

cheers

AGS

_____

Last edited by ArmeeGruppeSud on Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:26 am; edited 1 time in total

#18: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: Dima PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 6:34 am
    —
Didn't i tell CC5? ;)

Quote:
Maybe the fault is in the text files, if ithe teams are not marked "-1" in the last column of the teams file, they certainly wont clear mines.

Are you trying to insult me? Razz

#19: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: ArmeeGruppeSud PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:23 am
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):
Are you trying to insult me? Razz
Don't be ridiculous,...... thats impossible   Wink  

Just educating the masses who read our posts   Razz

cheers

AGS
_____

#20: Re: Engineer, pioneer Author: Dfox PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 10:07 pm
    —
Dima wrote (View Post):