What was your first wargame?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: What was your first wargame? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:20 am
    —
Risk... then Axis and Allies....... 1st computer RTS I played was Dune.

Last edited by mooxe on Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:55 am; edited 1 time in total

#2:  Author: Archangel PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 6:59 am
    —
LHX helicopter simulation game first (not RTS)
Dune 2nd

#3:  Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:46 am
    —
Risk. Used to play with my older brother who'd cheat by throwing a few extra armies on his countries. Our game was so old it had wooden pieces!. Next was Blitzkrieg (Avalon Hill) followed by many others.

Grunt

#4:  Author: FFLjagLocation: France PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:29 am
    —
i think Monopoly :a great financial war no? Laughing

Risk and after Operational Art of War on my first computer

#5: its always only been one... Author: ANZAC_TackLocation: Australia PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:01 am
    —
my first H2H on a computer was CCIII the russian front.it was an amasing day....marriage suffered ever since... Sad
my first computer game on my own PC was a applt IIe was written in script by my self(ghost, a maths game)

#6:  Author: RedScorpionLocation: Neverland PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:08 pm
    —
red alert for pc... did dungeons and dragons for many years before the days of the pc

#7:  Author: Wodin PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 12:37 pm
    —
Battleships.

Chess.

Then some electronic game similar to chess but you had a board with plastic counters standing up on each one facing you was its rank. When you went to take an enemy counter up place them on some kind of chip and you would either here the last post (loss) or something else for a win.

Then some fantasy wargame on the Amstard 464.

#8:  Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 8:16 pm
    —
RedScorpion wrote:
red alert for pc... did dungeons and dragons for many years before the days of the pc

Red Alert...that was a great game!

#9:  Author: rufus PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:10 pm
    —
my first computer games were anythink by SSI brilliant stuff way ahead any other computer wargames imo for the period(mid 80's) particulary liked colonial conquest.although the first comp game that really got me hoocked was ELITE the space trading and fighting game.

#10:  Author: Wodin PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:21 pm
    —
Elite on th BBc B 32k computer.

I played that for near on a year nearly everyday. Saving on to a tape. Then my tape got chewed up.

A years of playing down the drain. I was 12 and in one hell of a mood!

#11: first war game Author: sickf1 PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 1:57 am
    —
Squad leader avalon hill, many hours moving those little counters on board. soon as i saw cc1 i thought squad leader on comp. Smile

#12:  Author: Pzt_WruffLocation: Pzt Befehl Hauptsitz PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:25 am
    —
The forefather to the great Close Combat series...

The Atari 2600 COMBAT!

Here's my first ever AAR:

I spot his unsuspecting Panzer hiding behind the hedge in defensive position.
Here I move in on his left flank and approach his position to get the kill.

Major allied victory! Wink

#13:  Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:03 am
    —
well at the age of 42 my missus brought a second hand computer home that had the ccv demo on it... told a bloke up the road about it and he introduced himself as AA Wingen and brought me up to speed with the community. Been going 2 years now and the whole thing only gets better.

#14:  Author: ThatoneguyLocation: California PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:47 pm
    —
CC2 or red alert...

Cant remember that far back. Laughing

#15:  Author: Pzt_penguin PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 4:24 am
    —
Man my first war game would have to be A apache flight sim on the C64 Laughing but didnt realy start playing war games untill I got the first close combat Smile

#16:  Author: FFL_cheesecakeLocation: Angers (france) PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 9:49 am
    —
GETTYSBURG from sid meier and CC2/CC3... the first games i bought when i bought my first PC in 2000

#17:  Author: Tacloban PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 6:55 pm
    —
My first war game was either the "Wings" boardgame with plastic WWI planes on pedestals or Gettysburg with all the carboard counters.

My first real PC wargame was the V for Victory series (Mac version). I still have a copy of the DOS versions. I still find it fun every once in awhile. Very playable, although not very challenging. Of course, then, like now, the AI is always on drugs.

#18: Oh the memories Author: deftac03Location: USA PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 7:03 am
    —
First board wargame was either Avalon Hill's Panzer Leader or Panzer Blitz. Leanred from my 10-yr older brother. Then got hooked on SSI's Mech Brigade on a Commodore 64.

And for whomever mentioned Elite, it has been released again by someone who made a DOS version that is 100% true to the original. If you do a google search you might come across it.

#19:  Author: Luft_WittmannLocation: Canberra, Australia PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 3:39 am
    —
My first on MPC were Command and Conquer, CC2 and Stell Panthers,
I have Axis and Allies Europe board game but I dont have any friends willing to play it damnit.

#20:  Author: mochohoLocation: Croatia PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 8:47 pm
    —
Beach head and commando on the good old C64... Rolling Eyes

#21: First Game Author: ronsonLocation: England PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 4:08 pm
    —
Hell I can remember that like yesterday Laughing , it was the Panzer Blitz by AH. Fantastic game played with little cardboard counters on a map made up of I think, 3 pieces, all the counters had pictures of the Tank or whatever on them.
I started playing it with a pal on Sunday afternoons (in those days the pubs used to shut at 2pm) when I was 16. We would play all afternoon until it was time to go dancing in the evening, sometimes even then getting so carried away and leaving some poor girl a 'Wargame Widow' for 1/2 hour Evil or Very Mad.

Happy Memories Smile

#22:  Author: slems PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 6:04 pm
    —
squad leader in 1980 Razz and all the series advanced squad leader...

the best wargame ever seen (tactical), still alive and with regular publishing and add-on until now !!!!
a game with a 25 years of life existence and not dead yet ! (more than 25, first publishing in 1978 or 1979, don't remember)

would CC do the same ????????????

#23: First Wargame? Author: Ernie_M PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2005 11:56 am
    —
Silent Servce {1989)

A very good game for it's day Exclamation

#24:  Author: BordicLocation: Gothic Line, Italy PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:04 am
    —
Fort Apocalypse (the white helicopter flying underground!)
Beach Head
Raid over Moscow...

All on C64!

#25:  Author: Peter Gunn PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 5:13 am
    —
Desert Strike
on the super nintendo
classic shooter Wink

#26:  Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:22 am
    —
Actually I think Defender of the Crown was really my 1st wargame.

#27:  Author: TikkasLocation: Belgium, Bilzen PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 11:29 pm
    —
MMMHHH

My first ever PC strat game must have been V for Victory, Vignaluka;
Strange that no one has mentioned this game, it was a map with squares and units to be placed on top eachother.

Great game.

Of course I have the whole CC series and my first H2H was CC5 of course Very Happy

#28:  Author: poliLocation: The Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:43 pm
    —
My first Wargame.. hmm er well Ill start the counting by the first 386 game i played H2H (over a serial port i believe) called Retaliator .
Basicallya jet fighter simulation.

The next H2H game i played was called Command HQ , a global war for the whole planet including Spy satalites and Nukes,which was great!

Then Of course CC3!

#29: My first Author: mopa PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:32 pm
    —
In order

Chess
stragetgo
Risk
Diplomacy
Squadleader
Bismark (many more after that... many more)

Then on computer

First war game????

Nucular B1 Bomber (TRash 80? AtarI?)
Hunt for Red october
SOme tank game ( i had a xt 386 at the time)

#30:  Author: pzjagerLocation: Paris PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 5:26 am
    —
The fantastic Panzer General

#31: first Author: Ranman38 PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:23 pm
    —
tactics II boardgame

On computer: Close Combat I

#32:  Author: Hayduke_C4 PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:40 am
    —
I consider Romance of the Three Kingdoms (I think version 3) my first wargame, back on the Sega Genesis, circa 1990. That game was so innovative, I think it would still be a great game today.

My first computer wargame Close Combat I the day it was released (I worked at a computer store and plucked the first copy out of the box)

Panzer General was a completely amazing game, and my first strategic level wargame. I tried to take it to the next level with East Front II, but found controlling all the minutia quite dull.

Hearts of Iron was a great game, but after playing it for a couple months I kept thinking of what it lacked. HOI needed a more complex economic/political aspect. Developers could have learned some things from Romance of the Three Kingdoms!

#33:  Author: Atilla PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:38 pm
    —
My first wargame...must have been some flight sim on the Atari.

The first real wargame...V for Victory, Gold Juno Sword... Smile

#34:  Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:35 pm
    —
Atari Very Happy
Yea I had Tank and the old biplane game(cant remember the name now)

#35:  Author: SG_IgorLocation: Serbia PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:59 am
    —
"Nether Earth"... that`s the name of my first computer (Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K) played strategy game. It was some kind of futuristic war between giant robots. First you had to assemble them, choosing armor, weapons, engine etc, then send to battle. Then came "Tobruk" (no need to describe it, right?). Year - 1985, I think

#36:  Author: JohnDee PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:05 am
    —
i played my first ever wargame on the second day after i got my Amiga, i had a whole bunch of disks with it but after discovering that one game called Cannon Fodder i didnt even bother to check what games were on the other disks. thats how good it was imo. played this game for hours and hours.
http://www.dosgamesarchive.com/download/game/60

another game I remember from the good ol' days is ''North and South'' from infrogames. man did i love this game.
http://www.bestoldgames.net/eng/old-games/north-and-south.php

#37:  Author: Kommander BarbarossaLocation: Northern Sweden PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:43 am
    —
Risk was the first wargame I played. But for PC, the first was either Close Combat 3 or Red Alert.

#38:  Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:39 am
    —
Squadleader of course...back in the early '80s Smile .

#39:  Author: PolemarchosLocation: Polemarchopolis PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:50 pm
    —
c-64:
Patriot (1988) + combat iraq (1991) + plus the most unethical and bad game ever made: holocaust manager (i think 1988)

amiga: all i ever got into my hands

pc:
shooter: Wolfenstein 3d (i had to throw up once , after playing until epilepsy kicked in)

strategy: same as panzerjäger.... Panzer General I

#40:  Author: US_NIXON PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:58 pm
    —
CloseCombat 1 on a 4x86 PC running windows 4.1

#41:  Author: AkiLocation: Warsaw, Poland PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 9:06 pm
    —
MY first wargame was "Mein Panzer"

#42:  Author: king_tiger_tankLocation: the Band and State of Kansas PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:15 pm
    —
depends on what we're talking about, if it is video games, then Call of Duty. If its anything then its the lego wars i did as a kid. Rolling Eyes

#43:  Author: southern_land PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:38 am
    —
Technically speaking it was stealth fighter (I think that's what it was called) on Amiga 500 It required the massive space of three floppies!!!!!! Having said that the game play was better than some more modern games.

...followed by Janes ATF and Janes Fleet command on PC

#44:  Author: bambam887Location: Belgium PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:30 am
    —
Boardgame:
    1 Chess Very Happy
    2 Risk

PC:

#45:  Author: PolemarchosLocation: Polemarchopolis PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:43 pm
    —
southern_land wrote:
Technically speaking it was stealth fighter (I think that's what it was called) on Amiga 500 It required the massive space of three floppies!!!!!! Having said that the game play was better than some more modern games.

...followed by Janes ATF and Janes Fleet command on PC

cool i have this game also, still in the original box...
F-117A Nighthawk is the name of the game

#46:  Author: sample PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:46 pm
    —
panzer general I

#47:  Author: Nembo PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:18 am
    —
Risk

#48: hmm Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:01 am
    —
Borde game, big "risk style" bord games 180x90cm,

Computer: Kampfgruppe.. in the mid 80th...

Stalky

aaa_kampf.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.36 KB
 Viewed:  14407 Time(s)

aaa_kampf.jpg

#49:  Author: MassivattackLocation: St Priest (France) PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:50 pm
    —
First : Battleship and Playmobil Laughing
So later Desertstrike and Battleground Ardenne (Bulge)

#50:  Author: tripwireLocation: Florida - USA PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:30 pm
    —
Civil War boardgame that my cousin talked me into playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_War_%28AH_game%29

Eastern Front (1941) by Chris Crawford on the Atari 800 ..... !

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Ef1941expert2.png
http://www3.sympatico.ca/maury/other_stuff/eastern_front.html

#51:  Author: Pzt_KamiLocation: IRAN PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:31 pm
    —
mooxe wrote:
Actually I think Defender of the Crown was really my 1st wargame.
Love ya mooxe , It was for me too Smile
I don't remember the first wargame I played ,But I'm sure "Defender of the Crown" in Commodor 64 was the first RTS I played. But the next RTS game which drew me to the RTS world was "Dune II" by westwood ,It was awesome at the time Smile

#52:  Author: Studs PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:33 pm
    —
Hi..
My first wargames was boardgames from avelon hill..
title as squad leader.war in ther pacific ect ect..
the first pc-wargames was dune 2 followed by aoe and cc3..great games...

:sweede

#53:  Author: Badger-Bag PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:05 am
    —
I would be very surprised if any of us western types (Around my age, it occurs to me to add, 42 now Wink ), had not actually played "Battleships" as their first wargame.

I played that first when we (my twin and I) were 7 years old, at least that early, because there is a photo around somewhere, of us laying on the floor beside a game, with "Tyger" the cat in the photo, and she passed into cat heaven when I was 7.

#54:  Author: Pzt_CoyoteLocation: Zwolle, The Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:23 pm
    —
In that case my first wargame must have been going into the bush with more kids from my neighbourhood, with guns made of PVC pipe and lots of tape "...TATATATA ...you are dead!!!" "No way, I shot you first!!!" Till we got bored with that and learned to roll paper arrows for those PVC pipes and we started harrassing cyclists Laughing Man we were masters of the ambush and hasty retreat back than Very Happy

For the PC I think it is Airborne Ranger on the 386, very cool game, you would load out your character with all kinds of weapons and ammo, also you could load out 3 ammo bags with goodies.
Than the mission started, you would fly over the map with a plane, dropping your 3 ammo bags behind enemy lines and at the end you would jump yourself.
You than had to get a mission done, like blowing stuff up things like that.
Second must be Retaliator, a very old flight sim for YF22 and YF23

#55:  Author: Badger-Bag PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:19 pm
    —
Kids these days don't know HOW to play outside, all their games have to be on the computor . . . .umm . . . Wink

All kiwi blokes my age, used to play war outside, with Toi Toi fronds as spears. This goes back to way before europeans came to our Islands. The other name for them is Prince of Wales Feathers. They grow on a bush, have a long (about 2 mtrs for a long one) tough stalk about broomhandle thickness, and fluffy feathers on one end, the end of the stalk that hits you is toughened with a knd of war-head. You just snap them off the bush, and bingo, armed spear-chuckers. Maori boys used them for war training, and we used to find a small hill, and split into two groups, the smaller group got to hold the hill top against the assault team coming up from below.

I was going to provide a link, but too long, put Toi Toi into google image.

Kids today wouldn't play toi toi wars, too soft.

#56:  Author: DarkKnightLocation: Where the sea breeze sways the palm trees... PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:32 am
    —
Well in computer games I think it was Air Warrior III.

Of course I'd been playing all those great boardgames before that tho... at least the ones I could get. But the real original like Badger-Bag says is playing OUTSIDE or outside/inside with your friends or with toy soldiers the little green army men or GI Joe (I am very proud of my GI Joe collection... the plastic 6-inch ones, not the 12" collectible doll ones).

*Sigh* I'm really not old at all (you can date Air Warrior III) but already it seems like kids just don't know how to be kids anymore. God forbid they should actually go outside and use their imaginations. Freakin' 5-year olds are already plugged into video games, because either they whined enough and the parents were weak or the parents were still weak and decided to get them cool stuff they didn't have so they can relive their lost childhood (you can do that outside ya know).
Then there's the whole 'playing war isn't politically correct' thing, of which I know many subscribers... yet they let the kids watch TV and we all know the violence that's on TV nowadays.

Ok no more soapbox for now. I'm sounding twice my age, haha.

!!!Here's to you and your buds saving the world from terrorists (the cooperative mailman) with state-of-the-art military technology (toy guns that looked cool) and special forces tactics (hiding in the bushes)!!! Smile

#57:  Author: oPossum PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:56 am
    —
The first RTS was AOE2, but the first real wargames I played were CC5 and Airborne Assaut: Highwa to the Reich.

#58:  Author: Ivan_Zaitzev PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:01 am
    —
The firsr Strategy game i have playesd was a demo of Close Combat 1. The Demo was in a CD that bring a Magazine called CD Zone (a magazin from spain) i still have the cd and the magazine, the year was 1996.

#59:  Author: GMoney PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 12:09 am
    —
-battleship

-Lincoln Logs and tiny rubber army guys. we would set up on the floor around the tables and chairs, maybe 80 rubber soldiers each and fling, throw, richochet the lincoln logs trying to knock off the enemy. last with a man standing won

besides chess and checkers first real board war game was Avalon Hill Dday.

best hand held on tv was by Intelivison which had a cool and challeging Sea Battle

#60:  Author: southern_land PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:25 pm
    —
Badger-Bag wrote:
Kids these days don't know HOW to play outside, all their games have to be on the computor . . . .umm . . . Wink

All kiwi blokes my age, used to play war outside, with Toi Toi fronds as spears. This goes back to way before europeans came to our Islands. The other name for them is Prince of Wales Feathers. They grow on a bush, have a long (about 2 mtrs for a long one) tough stalk about broomhandle thickness, and fluffy feathers on one end, the end of the stalk that hits you is toughened with a knd of war-head. You just snap them off the bush, and bingo, armed spear-chuckers. Maori boys used them for war training, and we used to find a small hill, and split into two groups, the smaller group got to hold the hill top against the assault team coming up from below.

I was going to provide a link, but too long, put Toi Toi into google image.

Kids today wouldn't play toi toi wars, too soft.

Bracken fern was another good in us King country boys. Made awesome arrows. I still have a scar on my right thumb where i was using an axe to sharpen them to fire an the older kid across the road and missed. Doh!!!

#61:  Author: Pzt_RasalomLocation: Brisbane, Australia PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 12:08 am
    —
Battleships is the first war game i remember.
On PC, a game called 1944:Across the Rhine was my first foray. Can't really class Wolfenstein 3D as a war game can we?

#62:  Author: Badger-Bag PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:38 am
    —
[quote="southern_land

Bracken fern was another good in us King country boys. Made awesome arrows. I still have a scar on my right thumb where i was using an axe to sharpen them to fire an the older kid across the road and missed. Doh!!![/quote]

Oh aye. We used to make up whip arrows with the Bracken stalks (We call it pig root, pig fern, up here) and when we really wanted to sow death from concealment, we made bigger whips, heavier handles for more throwing inertia, and made the arrows out of fennel stalks instead. Smile

Once apon a time, we carted one of us home from a "toi toi war" with extremely serious head wounds. He had made up some fennel arrows with chipped scoria "heads" on, and nailed one of the "big" kids in mid throw of a spear, with about a kilo of rock and fennel shaft, right in the teeth. And the big kid promptly flew down the hill in a rage and pounded Bill with boots, fists, and *double handful of hair* the earth.

The sort of weekend we called fun, kids today would run screaming from.

I just saw "300" and I gotta say, that was a BLOODY excellent movie.

Razz

#63:  Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:19 pm
    —
Avalon Hill's North Africa board game. 13 years old and my first introduction into the world of wargaming. Wish I still had it, a classic for sure.

#64:  Author: Gen_JackLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:04 pm
    —
Board game - '88' by Yaquinto http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/4289 Turn based game for North Afrika. Hex board with terrain options. Down to the unit level.

PC game - The Perfect General. Simple but great turn based game. NAval version was the Perfect Admiral.

Cheers

#65:  Author: squadman45 PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:12 pm
    —
The civil war, Empire

Panzer General

Steel Panthers

Fields of Glory

#66:  Author: Pzt_KamiLocation: IRAN PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:39 pm
    —
squadman45 wrote:
Steel Panthers
Is it not the same WWII Tank simulatior? It was the best WWII tank simulator I ever seen ,At least I don't know any new one. Do you know where can I find a (Free) link to download it?

Thanks in advance

#67:  Author: squadman45 PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 12:04 am
    —
Steel panthers was the first pure wargame i have, from SSI and the year was 1997 (i buy the gold edition).

Now there are two new free versions, SPMBT (steel panthers main battle tank) cover 1945 to 2020 with lots of countries and modern wars, the other game is the Clasic game with a new look.... more complex and more details (for example in both games you can use barbedwire).

There are another version but i dont remenber the name, is sold by matrix games..... but the other games are better for me.

You download the free version, is the game whitout a few tools, nothing important, you can download the patchs whit more scenarios.

Modern
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPMBT/6.htm

WWII
http://www.shrapnelgames.com/SPCamo/wSPWW2/6.htm

Sorry but i dont know where you can download the original 3 games... a see the steel panthers original in an abandoware web but dont remember what.... sorry Embarassed

#68:  Author: Pzt_KamiLocation: IRAN PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:08 pm
    —
Thanks for the information and links provided squadman45 Smile

#69:  Author: ArcticBlast PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 2:13 am
    —
Actually, man, the Steel Panther world at War version is ALSO free to download, although there's a high end version you can buy, as well.

My first computer wargame - War in the South Pacific for an Apple IIc...after that, there was Carriers at War. first PC one would have been Panzer General.

#70:  Author: Blackhole PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 10:24 am
    —
I'm surprised no one mentioned Empire or Global Conquest but those were my first two, I still have both of them running thru Dos Box on my comp., along with V for Victory and Panzer General. Anyone like The Perfect General 1 or 2 (2 for me) by chance? I think those five rounded out my war gaming as a child.... good ole days....

#71:  Author: Pzt_Verghasi PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:25 pm
    —
Amazing to read all the many different games people played over the years. I, like most, played the usual war games outside with the negihborhood kids, and eventually graduated to serious warfare with me still having a BB in my chest from a well placed shot when I was 11.

First board game was of course Battleship! But afterwards, discovered Axis and Allies, chess, Stratego, and many others. Those were the main ones.

PC wise, I started early on with F/117 Stealth game on the ole Ps2. Moved onward from there into several others until I came home from college in '92 and landed square on my face in CC1. Dived in, and have been hooked ever since. First multi-play was Mechcommander, which very nearly cost me my marriage on several occasions of late night playing.

Saw someone mention that they played Romance of the Three Kingdoms. This game is still being updated on the PS2 platform. If you have that platform, might want to check into the newer versions, I think they are up to 11 now.
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS2/Games/Romance_of_the_Three_Kingdoms_XI

#72: war games Author: AT_von_Manstein40Location: St. Louis, Missouri PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 4:26 am
    —
I think you've all covered it. The BB gun battles, toy soldier wars, combat for atari 2600. Wasn't there a biplane game for the 2600? Squad leader and Panzer leader board games. War in Russia for the Apple II+ and the follow up The Second Front for the IBM, both SSI games and the reason I bought My first CC game CCV. You all forgot to mention the summer fireworks battles though! Those were the best really. Exploding roman candles, duel 100 shot rocket launchers taped to a sawed off hockey stick, the sawed off whiffle ball bat for as many bottle rockets you could fit in it, etc. etc. Also when we were younger we had the water gun battles, I remember i had a Thompson smg water gun and a Luger squirt pistol. Those were the days. Oh yeah and the winter snowball fights with rocks and ice balls inside a tightly packed snowball. I'd say the soccer games during recess in elementary school were really brutal also.

#73: In the ancient days Author: jphinsley PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:48 pm
    —
we played Avalon Hill Gettysburg; map in squares with rectangular divisions. Or maybe we carved the pieces out of dinosaur hide, hard to remember...

#74:  Author: artizan PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:08 pm
    —
Does no-one remember DamBusters for the BBC and MSX computers, that was the first game I remember programming myself in BASIC from a code list on to tape. ahhh the good old days when the NES was the PS3 of its day Very Happy .

#75: what aws your first war game Author: crv8505Location: Meraux, La (St.Bernard Parish) PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:27 am
    —
Squad Leader by Avalon Hill. Even though it was normally slow moving, I couldn't get enough.

#76:  Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:17 am
    —
CC2

#77:  Author: arkturasLocation: United Kingdom PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 6:38 am
    —
Well, I remember when I first got a copy of the demo for CC2 - It was as awesome then as it is now. South Africa didn’t get many of the common games that were released to the rest of the world I guess the market wasn’t very big then. I was in a PC shop many years ago and something "CC" caught my eye; it was close combat trilogy (CC1; CC2; CC3)- I didn’t hesitate paid 400 Rand for it.

#78:  Author: DinsdaleLocation: Surf City PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 10:12 pm
    —
My first wargame was Avalon Hill's Afrika Corps. We didn't even finish the game. We then played Panzer Leader a few times before my friend told me about a game called Squad Leader that he had heard good things about. We chipped in together and bought the game shortly thereafter. From then on I was hooked.

#79:  Author: falkogaLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:35 pm
    —
First wargame was the boardgame "Lutzen", simulating the battle of 1632 were the swedish king Gustaf II Adolf won the battle but payed the ultimate price himself. Me and some of my children friends made many mods in paper and plastic of that!

Later I Played a lot of Avalon Hill boardgames; Russian Campaign, Panzer Leader, Pattons Best ...

On computer. Think there was a game called Desert Fox for C 64, but it wasn´t really a wargame. First real wargame on comp was for me was Operation Crusader, a boardgame on PC. Steel Panters was a favourite before I discovered CC in -98

I can still recommend those really simple boardgames from the 70´s and 80´s. Computers are better for handling all data of the more complex ones like ASL. The cc games are really carrieing the heritage of that game!

#80:  Author: Miles_TegLocation: Leadville, CO, USA PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:12 pm
    —
My first wargame was with miniatures at a store call "The Toy Soldier" in Bath, ME, USA...I played rpgs there and decided to join the Sunday games the owner held, playing as Russians attacking NATO in Europe with the players controlling the NATO side, well, after that I dropped the rpgs! Started playing ASL soon thereafter....

#81:  Author: Sgt_Baker PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:18 am
    —
My first wargame was playing chess with my older sister, and then I progressed to Army Men 3D on my PS, and then Combat Flight Simulator on the PC.

From there, I got to Age of Empires(which, including the whole series, I can't consider a wargame. It's something less than that. :zzz Sad A total mistake for gamers to play, although it does teach us a lot of history) and CLOSE COMBAT 2 Very Happy !!! That was my first foray into strategy games, and I've loved them ever since. I currently play Company of Heroes, Generals, and Stronghold Crusader.

#82:  Author: Glote PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:23 pm
    —
WORLD IN FLAMES !!! BEST GAME EVER !!!

I have the Super Delux version, and it's just fantastico !

#83:  Author: CanuckFury PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:55 am
    —
first wargame...it's a tie between 2 for the Apple IIc...Silent Service, and War in the South Pacific. I tended to get my butt kicked in the second, being 11 and all, but it got me started on what continues to be an absolute addiction.

#84: First game Author: Jacknife PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:33 pm
    —
First came Axis & Allies and Age of Rifles, then one day i discovered a close combat two Demo on a Windows 98 disc, the rest is history...

#85:  Author: milo66 PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:51 am
    —
An early flight sim wow must be the early 90's "Knights Of The Sky" i too found close combat on a demo disk and loved every game since im playing CC4 at the moment, it does'nt seem popular but i love it, im yet to try the vetbob mod

#86:  Author: DigsLocation: Ontario, Canada PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:24 pm
    —
I can't remember that far back, but the first ww2 game I owned (father bought for me) was Silent Hunter (a submarine sim) for the PC. Published by SSI, released Febuary 29, 1996.

#87:  Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:30 pm
    —
Boardgames- Risk/ Panzerblitz/ Tobruk/ The Russian Campaign.

Computer- Close Combat 2 (A Bridge Too Far)

#88:  Author: KGPeiperLocation: Poland PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:28 pm
    —
My first war game on computer was: "Norh&South" on c-64 Very Happy
then - in 1998 - there was "Starcraft" followed by "Commandos". After that second game I started to dreaming about the one, in which I could play as Germans during WWII. And soon my dream came through: I've found CC5...
...and still love it !!! Smile

#89:  Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:09 pm
    —
KGPeiper wrote:
My first war game on computer was: "Norh&South" on c-64 Very Happy
then - in 1998 - there was "Starcraft" followed by "Commandos". After that second game I started to dreaming about the one, in which I could play as Germans during WWII. And soon my dream came through: I've found CC5...
...and still love it !!! Smile

Welcome to the forums :Cool . You mentioning N & S reminded me of my 'other' 1st computer wargame- 'Gettysburg' by Sid M. Very fun,
never could get it to run on newer computers though Mad .

#90:  Author: Bigmolla PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:27 pm
    —
First board/wargame was Risk, of course, then Avalon Hill's Blitzkrieg and Wooden ships & Iron men. Anyone remember them?

For ZX spectrum users Confused I remember something like The Ancient Art of War but the very first RTS computer games I played was surely Dune2, while turn based Battle Isle I e II were very very fun too (many years ago Rolling Eyes ).

Now I am playing CC3 again, together with my son Smile

#91:  Author: SFC_Klemer PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:55 am
    —
Oh god, hmmm board game ambush, submarine 3d (boardgame), i think thats what its called.

PC: or well C64 Balance of Power i think it was

Not sure

#92:  Author: palsniperLocation: Belgium PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:54 am
    —
believe it or not ---> CCI and since, all the serie: II, III, IV, V and COI. the last 2 are definitely my preferred. Tried other games, Red Orchestra, Medal of Honor, and some nearly similar to CC but I always come back to CC serie.

#93:  Author: SFC_Klemer PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:04 pm
    —
palsniper wrote:
believe it or not ---> CCI and since, all the serie: II, III, IV, V and COI. the last 2 are definitely my preferred. Tried other games, Red Orchestra, Medal of Honor, and some nearly similar to CC but I always come back to CC serie.

I understand that...I keep a hold of some vintage computer parts/computer so i can play it in its antique state.

#94:  Author: B_GrimLocation: the Lizard Cornwall PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:33 am
    —
it was a demo for close combat 1 off an old cover disk
then got 2 3 4 and 5.two of my older kids now playing.
think close combat a cross between chess and micro machines

#95:  Author: fwvon1 PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:55 pm
    —
of course its cc 4!!!!

#96:  Author: ianlast PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:37 pm
    —
Oooooo...it must be a demo of a game called Campaign 2(i think)...I loved playing that..based on the 1991 desertstorm...played that in 1995 (i think) It was in a weird sort of 3d/2d type tank driving game...

#97:  Author: Pz_Meyer PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:21 pm
    —
the Eagle has landed, loaded with big name actors and the German's are the good guys and Larry Hagman is the evil American bastardo

Let's see if memory is accurate, stars: Larry Hagman, Michael Cain, Robert Duval, Donald Sutherland, Treat Williams and various other recognizable actors

#98:  Author: Pzt_Pandemic PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:26 am
    —
dgfred wrote:
Boardgames- Risk/ Panzerblitz/ Tobruk/ The Russian Campaign.

Computer- Close Combat 2 (A Bridge Too Far)

YES!!! My first game was Russian Campaign my dad taught me when I was 7. I'm a quick learner Very Happy . I also played those old Avalon Hill boardgames like Victory in the Pacific, Gettysburg, D-day, and Waterloo.

As for computer? Definantly Paznzer General. Many years were spent perfecting my gameplay.

My first online game was Chain of Command. I don't know if anyone else played this but it was at 2amgames.com and was very similar to close combat. I think there were 6 people on each team and each person controlled a squad of 4 soldiers. Soldiers could be moved individually and a designated "commander" handed out weapons and ammunition at the beginning of each round. Awesome game.

#99:  Author: drucius PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:10 pm
    —
UMS - the Universal Military Simulator. Not much in the way of graphics, but not bad for 1988. Smile

#100: first wargame Author: stormo PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:15 pm
    —
Hello all, one of the best war games i played was called "HistoryLine" which was set in the first world war,you had to manage your forces and it was turn based all great stuff i played it for hours on the old Amiga 1500.

The other thing it was able to be installed onto my amazing 40meg scsi hard drive Smile as it came on about 10 floppies Smile

also later on got into the Command and conquer games for the pc.

Regards stormo

#101:  Author: emgee PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:29 am
    —
My first predates the computer age. At aged 21 I built a huge Russian army in 1.72 scale using anything I could get hold of. I had (still have) over 70 T.34s 76 or 85 and scratch built Su 76s from Chaffe bases, SU 152s from KV wheel bases, etc. I converted US Cavalry to Russian and built Katushya rockets from RAF refelling kits. Guns had to be British or German My mate was German and their gear was a lot easier to find. Just to get a game together took a year and playing on that scale was a nightmare using rulers and dice and lots of coffee. We had two huge mobile homes joined to get the space. I think once 52 hours of almost continuous play (we did indeed use stuff to keep us awake!) resulted in about one minute of 'real' time. Later moved to the small 1.300 white metal version. Easier to scale but just as time consuming to play. When I came across CCIII I nearly died as it was what I dreamed about all those years before. Kids don't know how easy they have it nowadays!

#102:  Author: redrocco PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:28 pm
    —
Squad leader and later Advanced squad leader
my first computer wargame was V for Victory: Gold-Juno-Sword by 360/Atomic followed several years later by Talonsoft's Eastfront

#103:  Author: ablackholeLocation: At center of Milky Way PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:21 pm
    —
Empire on my 8mhz 8088 PC

I still have Empire Deluxe for Windows.

#104:  Author: baliki PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:24 am
    —
My first game was a stupid little game called sticks and stones.A board set in prehistoric times.the next was squad leader.(someone posted earlier they thought it came out in 78 or 79) It was actually 77.I still have have it.and of course all of the addon moduals for it like cresendo of doom and G.I. anvil of victory and ASL and all the addons for that.For those of you do not know the rulebook for ASL was a 3 ring binder.So as rules were ammeded that page could be taken out and the updated rule put in its Place.Ingenious really.At that same time i was also playing Great battles of the civil war by SPI who was bought out by TSR and they made 2 more games in the series My first game for the comp was a civil war game (Cant remember the name) on a 8086 processer.

Not to get off topic but I'm convinced that close combat is squad leader for the comp.I remember seeing an advertizement in "The General" magazine in the late 80's or early 90's for squad leader for the comp.It showed a screen shot of a Pz4 in defence mode.It had the exact blue cresent that cc uses to show defence. And remember reading something about that avalon hill and atomic were working on it together but there was some kind of falling out between the 2 companies and somehow atomic got the right to produce it.,And cc1 was the end result

#105:  Author: dj PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:24 am
    —
Avalon Hill's Afrika Korps boardgame. When I was 13...someone taught me how to play and ever since have been a big strategy wargame buff.

#106:  Author: abake PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:44 am
    —
The one I remember is CC2. I'm sure I played a few of those old fighter plane and helicopter games, but I can't even remember what they were about.
But when I got my hands on CC2 I was hooked!
Still am, but I don't have where to play it anymore...

#107:  Author: Therion PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:27 am
    —
My first wargames were on C-64 - I remember some turn based games - probably set in Ardennes or something like that and a RT wargame - Guadalcanal.

#108:  Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 5:43 pm
    —
To Abake: U can play cc2 at BattleHQ. The link is here at this site... somewhere.

Ahhhh. SPI. Simulation Publication Inc. !

It was a monthly magazine with a GAME! in it. I loved it. Prob. why cuz my attention span so short. Except for the monthly sub. for WW2ONLINE! ;p

First offline computer game was based on a great paperback book. "TeamYankee"! Smile

First online computer game... A Bridge Too Far! or Close Combat 2 on the Zone. Blessed or what! Very Happy I also loved the Sega Saturn ww2 game called "IronStorm". Still have both! hardware & software!

P.S. I think CC2 was based on a movie... ;p

#109:  Author: diggin.robatLocation: Land of the krauts PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:23 am
    —
Nearly hard to admit: Warhammer Fantasy Battle 3rd Ed. But it enabled me to continue playing with little toy figures and brought me into contact with games with >6 sided dices...
CC1 was my introduction, but CC2 changed everything, never touched a dice since then.

#110:  Author: myguineapig PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:12 pm
    —
First war game i have ever played was Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far when i was about 10 year old Very Happy

#111:  Author: PopovLocation: Warsaw,Poland PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 pm
    —
Well, chess, I guess... ;] And on the computer -
Amiga's "Harpoon" and "Warlords". Damn, these were two fine games, I kid you not....

#112:  Author: SweeperLocation: Sierra Vista, AZ PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:29 am
    —
1st War game would have to be chess. 1st chit and map war game: OGRE. 1st computer war game: War of the Lance from SSI

#113:  Author: DrakkenLocation: Kiev, Ukraine PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:43 pm
    —
Dune 2 forever Smile some russian fans even managed to do some mods for it Smile

And 1st game on CD was C&C... i remember it was New Year gift from my father... CD-ROM and CD with C&C Smile

And... Panzer General 1 for sure Smile

p.s. also remember old game "Iron cross", but cant find it Sad

#114:  Author: ograndoLocation: Treviso - Italy PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:55 am
    —
CC3 and the same days i saw "Save private Ryan"...
...and after i interested in simulation, story, tech, relatively the WW2.

#115:  Author: Mopolopy PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:18 pm
    —
Hum... chess, Abalone, Risk, Monopoly (Laughing) then on computer: Dune (1 by Cryo not the ugly 2 by Westwood Smile), closely followed by Age of Empires 1 BUT preceded by CloseCombat 2 (trial version, in fact)

And bottom of the list : Hearts of Iron 2 Doomsday

#116: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: MjrMadMike PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:15 pm
    —
I playied on a friends computer cc1. Sadly, it had to go another 2,3 years till i had my pc

#117: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:30 am
    —
I started playing PC wargames around 1991.

Patton Strikes Back 1990

This game was Real Time.

https://youtu.be/oIPT6KL83OY

Harpoon 1989 Modern Naval and Air Sim

https://youtu.be/K1yo3ZBCQLc

Populous 1989
This was one of the first RTS games.

https://youtu.be/foKdBTzpP84

Centurion: Defender of Rome 1990

Prepare for Battle! get a load of this Screenshot

Command HQ 1991
Great Game!

https://youtu.be/ENj9krQj6Kw

Knights of the Sky

Aces of the Pacific/Europe

Close Combat 2 A Bridge Too Far 1997

Close Combat III The Russian Front 1998

A few post Close Combat Addictions....

Ghost Recon 2001

World War II Online 2001

Operation Flashpoint 2001

Call of Duty 2003

Last edited by US_Brake on Wed May 06, 2015 3:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

#118: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: RD_DeathDealerLocation: Bavaria, Germany PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:21 am
    —
SQUAD LEADER

Followed by Cross of Iron, Crescendo of Doom, and G.I. Anvil of Victory for the total experience.

#119: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Therion PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:10 pm
    —
I think the first wargame I have played a lot was Legions of Death for Commodore C-64.

#120: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: speedtalkerLocation: Odense, Denmark PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:01 am
    —
First ever wargame was the Apache sim "Gunship" on C64 and later on PC. More of a flightsim than a proper wargame, really. Then F14 Fleet Defender (real time flight sim, and a great one at it). Then CC IV, (played alot during a tour of duty in Kosovo) and then I was hooked! Been playing CC ever since, only break was during a tour of duty in Afghanistan, when the only game old and small enough to work on the armys old laptops was "Age of Empires".

#121: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:51 pm
    —
cc5  Twisted Evil
untill now it's also the last one...  Laughing

#122: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:19 pm
    —
Panzer battles.

i could play it on my CGA equipped XT Acer.

#123: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Zturm PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:52 am
    —
Advance wars for the GBA!!!

#124: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: yukongoldLocation: Whitehorse,Canada PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 5:15 am
    —
Schrecken, that is a great pic.

Those old 5 1/4 floppies sure bring back memories. Early machines like the Commodore 64s and XTs have become quite valuable in recent years......lots of nostalgia collectors out there now. Might be worth hanging on to those old machines ( and software too) if you still have them tucked away.

Thanks to everyone else that took the time to post their old box art......great stuff.

#125: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Therion PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:56 pm
    —
speedtalker wrote (View Post):
First ever wargame was the Apache sim "Gunship" on C64 and later on PC. More of a flightsim than a proper wargame, really.

It was my first flight sim too Very Happy . Anyway, I bought a sealed boxed copy of it several weeks ago Very Happy . I'm spending hours playing it Very Happy . I just finished training and now I got badly beaten up by NVA ground defenses in my first mission XD .

#126: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: AvMvP PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 6:37 am
    —
Panzer General by SSI

#127: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Infidel PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:28 am
    —
My first war game was probably Cannon Fodder 1+2, on my first computer which was a great little Amiga.

War's never been so much fun.

#128: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Tippi-SimoLocation: Helsinki PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:18 am
    —
Infidel wrote (View Post):
My first war game was probably Cannon Fodder 1+2, on my first computer which was a great little Amiga.

War's never been so much fun.

Same here. I loved CF. It was great.
Sometimes I brought it to school because we had 2 Amiga 500s in our classroom.

#129: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: emifisaLocation: Italy PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 10:24 pm
    —
I not remember if Age Of Empire 2 or Close Combat 4  maybe CC4

#130: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: vonB PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:53 pm
    —
It was a long jump sand pit at school at the age of about 9.

A bunch of us would take our plastic models and soldiers to the sand pit (when it wasn't being used for long jumping...!), put the soldiers and stuff in the sand pit, make whatever gun and explosion type noises we could come up with, and throw marbles at the miniatures.

But.... the first 'serious' wargaming was done around a couple of years later.  Throwing stuff at models in the sand pit had a nasty habit of breaking them, and once you got into spending hours lovingly crafting and painting your prized models, you became a bit reluctant to trash them.  Then I came across a book which had rules for fighting table top wargames with miniature models.  Armed with ruler and dice, we set about recreating battles.  This must have been around the age of 11.

I continued with table top wargaming for about another 10 years (with the occasional dabble with some of the Avalon Hill Hex based Card/Paper games), and then stopped 'wargaming' almost completely for another 25 years or so, when I came across the Battleground Series by Talonsoft for the PC, and started to become hooked again.

And then came along the Demo of CCII on the cover disk of PC Gamer.  That was it.  Hooked!  Although I do have the occasional (very occasional)venture into something else, CC is still the only wargame I play.  Remarkable really.  I have yet to find anything else as compelling...

#131: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Andreus PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:05 pm
    —
CC2 in an old Mac demo.

But then I discovered Steel Panthers: World at War...

#132: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:34 pm
    —
CC2, in 1998.

#133: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:15 pm
    —
I got me a few good strategy games back in 1987, but Tobruk 1942 stood out amongst them.
Check it out:
http://www.lemon64.com/?mainurl=http%3A//www.lemon64.com/games//details.php%3FID%3D3457

#134: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Cannoneer PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:00 pm
    —
Back in the 70's I got started with the old AH board games - primarily Operation Cobra and D-Day.  I had quite a few but couldn't find anyone to play.  One - I don't remember the exact name - but was modeled after Operation Barbarossa was 4ft x 10ft with over 1,000 counters on the 6 maps.  Would have taken weeks to play!!  My first computer game was SSI's Tigers in the Snow then Silent Service.  Played on an Apple 2E/2C.

Like many others the Close Combat series has been my true love since getting the first one.  I want to thank all of the developers for their MODs - has kept the game alive and well.

13B - Cannoneer
Long live the M109A1!

#135: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Spud007 PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:13 am
    —
Squad leader board game wow back in 80s...

Then one day i decided to look for a computer version of it and found CC2. The rest is history  Cool

#136: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Wastemoreland PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:46 pm
    —
Beat the crap out of an older boy with my wooden sword that was giving me a hard time.

I was Saint George that day!   Twisted Evil

#137: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: verbaLocation: New Providence (Bahama's) PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 10:51 pm
    —
mine was CC 2 Demo on a cd of AeO I Rise of rome,

I was 10 years then and had " an instant hook" with the game. I remember CPU were measured in MHz , ooh the days...

#138: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Wastemoreland PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:45 pm
    —
To be more serious.

First wargame was Choplifter for Sega Master. I completed it several times.

#139: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: OnTheRopesLocation: Derbyshire England PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:38 pm
    —
Kingmaker from 1974 was possibly my first, the wars of the roses, I loved the game but very few would play because it was complicated
and took days to complete. Ive just seen this one on ebay for £50 :O

Though its no longer made I read on wikipedia there was a pc version may still be available for download.
Also played Risk until some mard arsed mate threw all the bits over the room in a strop, happened regularly lol
Edit just found a free (I think) download of this gam, not had time to try it though

#140: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:45 pm
    —
Dungeons and Dragons count?  The old school rules going back to the early 80's when TSR was still around.  Not a traditional wargame, but you learn a lot about strategy and how to survive against impossible odds.

#141: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: pagskier PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm
    —
I gotta say it's probly CC1 Demo!

#142: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm
    —
Wow, mooxe, you had me scratching my head for a bit there; it's been so long.

The first wargame ever would have to be 1/72 scale army men in the mud under the carport.

I think the first board wargame was probably Mechwarrior.

The first computer wargame... it was either Defender of the Crown or The Ancient Art of War.  I can't remember which came first.

I am now wondering how many here are old enough to remember these games.

EDIT - Ha!  Well, mooxe, I see you are at least!  Wink

#143: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Zep PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 pm
    —
My first was Tamiya 1/35 models
My frist board game was Avalon Hills PanzerBlitz
My frist computer game was CC1
Those were the good old days!

#144: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 pm
    —
my first boardgame is the "game of the generals" (i think only released here in the philippines??)
first computer game is the Microsoft Flight Simukator 98
and first wargame is with my older brother and friends with 1/72 colored plastic toy soldiers....

i really missed these moments....i wish there is a time machine already

#145: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:29 am
    —
Hoogley wrote (View Post):

The first computer wargame... it was either Defender of the Crown or The Ancient Art of War.  I can't remember which came first.

Defender of the Crown was great, it may of been my first strategy game for a computer. In my original post I said Dune was, but that was for PC. I remember playing Defender back on my Commodore 128 (when computers were measured in kilobyes verba! haha)... the key was getting land with lots of vassals, and having Robin Hood cut the throats of guards on your big assault. I also remember using a catapult to knock down castle walls. Man that was a good game!

I just did a google search for it... looks like its updated to todays graphics. Verisons of this game for every gaming platform it seems.

#146: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: thumb PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 pm
    —
My first 'official' wargame was 1863, but my sandbox friends and I had already been wargaming with miscellaneous toy soldiers for several years. Up until the Civil War centennial our focus had been pretty evenly divided between WW2 and Cowboys&Indians.

#147: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: LoneRebel PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 am
    —
Close Combat was the very first wargame I played, as a kid, but I was too young to really understand it back then. The first strategy game I really got into was Empire Earth.

#148: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:10 pm
    —

The first wargame ever would have to be 1/72 scale army men in the mud under the carport.

Yes back in the day (late 70's / early 80's ) those 1/72 scale models and soldier molds were everywhere.   I think that was the "real" first wargame for all us of that generation...before we knew how to play the boardgames.

#149: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: tigercubLocation: charters towers PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:42 am
    —
Third Reich board game...

#150: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: WilliamTheSilent PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 am
    —
dj wrote (View Post):

Yes back in the day (late 70's / early 80's ) those 1/72 scale models and soldier molds were everywhere.   I think that was the "real" first wargame for all us of that generation...before we knew how to play the boardgames.

If you look at it like that, my first wargame would be with LEGO (late '60)). I used to build ships/airplanes/vehicles with secret weopons in them with my neighbour friend and then we would destroy each other. We also would play with airfix 1/72 armies in the backyard.

My first computerwargame was Battles of Napoleon (SSI) on C64. I still have the game on my PC and I wished the would still bring out the kind of newer version. Totally editable wargames in 2D is what I like.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/309/details/Black.Powder.Wars:.Battles.Of.Napoleon

#151: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 am
    —
Well I had Steel Thunder and Fighter Bomber on my C-64. For PC the first 'big' and significant war game was Steel Panthers 1. Pretty soon after that I got CC 3 and still going with that and CC 5 and the mods.

#152: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm
    —
1942 or Who Dares Wins II, on the good old MSX 2 machine. Ah, happy days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUGPaE-R8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJpfAo0uxA

#153: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: blinddog14Location: Grand Canyon PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 pm
    —
CC1... all those years ago...

#154: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: CiggyLocation: Nelson PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:51 am
    —
plastic army men is the earliest i remember. lighting them on fire and blowing them up with crackers

#155: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:58 pm
    —
Eastern Front on an old Atari 800XL. Was aggravating as could be also. The Russians had this nasty habit of retreating forward many times when they were crushed as recall, making it more difficult and had to waste time moving to get rid of those units, kind of like mobile partisans.

BTW: Think recall many names here from years ago on the old MSN network glory days. Lots of fun and recall them quite often.  Smile

#156: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Urmo PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:22 am
    —
Mattell Intellivision "Armor Battle" 1978. Very fun multiplayer tank game, played it lot with my bros. Maps does have buildings, rivers, swamps and forests.

#157: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:25 pm
    —
The first wargame I saw was Steel Panthers, my father used to play that when I was younger. He then moved on to Close Combat IV and V. I got interested mainly because I used to sit and watch him play, and when I got older we discussed potential tactics in the game and also the war itself. The first fps I saw was Medal of Honor: Frontline for playstation 2, which he also was a fan of.

#158: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:08 pm
    —
Armour Battle... look at those graphics!

Link

#159: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:09 pm
    —
Steel Panthers 2...

#160: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 pm
    —
Boardgame = Africa Korps

Computer = Gettysburg and CC2

#161: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:30 pm
    —
Red Alert 1. (It is not a proper war game, more an RTS I know)  But I guess I am still one of the younger members of the CC community. I definitely was, back then when the CC5 had first appeared. I was like, 14 years old or something (around 2002) when I started playing CC online.

#162: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:16 pm
    —
Since I managed to read all of the other posts for this question I would have to say I was reminded that the LEGO blocks were my first wargames. I would have spaceships made so that a smaller ship would be able to deploy from the larger one. Of course, had to have some of the armor too. Even decided that I wanted to be able to reconstruct the same ones so went to the trouble to draw up isometric drawings (akin to 3D) of them showing where each LEGO block was placed. Just being able to use the old blocks for spaceships and armored vehicles took some imagination.

Later started using 1:72 scale models for a few tanks that we were able to get a hold of from a hobby store in a nearby town. Even did my own scratch built model of a Jagdpather based on a Panther chassis. Was working on a few others when lost interest. One of my brothers then got me interested in 1:285 scale lead miniatures and there was a brother for each major power to collect those armor models. Rules were always archaic and time consuming. Was playing AH games at the same time so when my brother introduced me to CC3 I could see that was the way to play miniatures without having to hassle with rule books anymore. Have collected all the CC games since.

#163: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: carusoLocation: Livorno PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:02 am
    —
...coming to this world  Razz

seriously, the first electronics were probably some arcades in old style game rooms during the 80's   :)

Of course even plastic army men, lego, board games, and other classic stuff. I couldn't wait for summer to come and make my trenches on the beach  Razz

In the end i cannot say which was strictly the first one. Maybe i could say again "coming to this world" but in a more serious way this time hahaha  Razz

#164: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: SebRays PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:13 pm
    —
The first "Panzer General" was the best !  Razz

#165: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: vobbnobb PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:24 pm
    —
F-15 Strike Eagle II by Micropros then Jane's Longbow, Close-Combat then FPS Half-Life.

#166: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: jaredjestes22Location: Olympia, WA PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:07 am
    —
As far as I can remember it WAS CCI. My uncle gave it to me shortly after it came out. I was 6 when CCI came out... Smile

#167: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:13 am
    —
CC2, I picked it up because of the theme (WW2, Operation Market Garden).

#168: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:28 pm
    —
My first ever wargame was Battle of Mount Cassino....got it for Christmas.  It was a paper map with 1/72 scale soldiers/armor.  Loved that game!  But can no longer find it!  
From there it was Battle of the Bulge (the old cardboard pieces game in the vein of Squad Leader)

and then I stumbled upon CC2: A Bridge Too Far.

#169: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: notprop PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 9:32 am
    —
Warhammer 40k: Rogue Trader in '89 was my first tabletop wargame.  Man that was an eye opener! Shocked

First computer wargame was CC2 Bridge Too Far in '99 about a week after I had spent my student loan on my first computer and found the Computer Exchange store in London.

Both of thoise things also explain where most of my spare cash wend for the last 15 years. Smile

#170: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: sod98 PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 1:06 am
    —
CC2 - A Bridge too far - demo. That encouraged me too about the game......to CC3 onward.

Last edited by sod98 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total

#171: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Sequoia PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:43 am
    —
Hello:

My first wargame was Battle City in Famicom. In PC was Winrisk.

Bye

#172: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: DesertmouseLocation: south of London PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:41 am
    —
Soviet strike ps1

#173: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: ScnelleMeyer PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:28 pm
    —
My first counter wargames

20000617_191145.jpg
 Description:
Turning Point Stalingrad
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  455 Time(s)

20000617_191145.jpg

20000617_191858.jpg
 Description:
Squad Leader
 Filesize:  1.09 MB
 Viewed:  419 Time(s)

20000617_191858.jpg

#174: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:41 am
    —
I liked the cover art of the games...

#175: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: reconscoutLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:23 pm
    —
Panzerblitz and Panzer Leader but then I got into squad leader and ASL later.

#176: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Drizzt PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 1:16 pm
    —
Command & Conquer (the first one: the most old).

#177: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: RodmorgLocation: Bournemouth PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:32 pm
    —
Close Combat V or the First Call of Duty (and the best one).

#178: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: CloseCombatRob PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:21 am
    —
CC1 and CC2, got them together in some deal if I remember correctly for pretty cheap

#179: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: abhaken PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:40 am
    —
CC2 demo, found on some derelict machine at school ^^

#180: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: bobbielidl PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 9:24 pm
    —
commandos: behind enemy lines and close combat: battle of the bulge

#181: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:48 am
    —
Love the old Avalon Hill games.  I remember years later a few were release for PC video game, but nothing is available any more?  Tried the old hex-based games too from Atomic but they are so old now, won't work.

#182: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Antony_nz PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:24 am
    —
Age of empires.
Or green toy soldiers outside.

#183: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Oliver70 PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:59 pm
    —
Battle for Britain on Amstrad CPC near 1987  Razz It was more an arcade game than a strategic game but i enjoyed it a lot. I still have memories of this game while listening to The Cure album 'The Head On The Door"... Damn it was a century ago  Very Happy

Command and Conqueer 1st version was probably my first PC wargame (or was it Red Baron II?)

Close Combat III was my first CC game. I never get used to CC2 after playing CC3.

#184: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: WilliamTheSilent PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:15 am
    —
Battles of Napoleon SSI on Commodore 64

#185: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Zep PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:43 am
    —
Mine was Avalon Hill games. Squad Leader, Panzer Blitz, And the addons Very Happy

#186: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 4:30 pm
    —
first boardgame was ether Dawn Patrol by TSR,Anzio 74' by avalon hill and Stratego by hasbro.. back around 82 /84

1st PC game was Close Combat III back in 99'

#187: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: blinddog14Location: Grand Canyon PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:21 pm
    —
Squad leader... but in the early eighties I worked at a John Deere tractor supply that had an IBM system 23 with this kinda funky "star trek" game and my Dad had this "B-17 Bomber" game on his computer that kinda jazzed me up for computer games. But that first close combat game... whew... how many of you all still have your original disc?

#188: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: blinddog14Location: Grand Canyon PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:22 pm
    —
Oh, does "Risk" count?

#189: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 6:50 pm
    —
I had my original CC5 disk until 2004. Wife smashed it. She bought me a new one shortly after and had it since. Still have my original CC3/4 disks.

Introduced to Close Combat on a peace keeping mission in 1998/99. A guy in the CP showed me CC3 and how awesome it was to drop mortars on troops. Bought the game as soon as deployment was over.

#190: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: blinddog14Location: Grand Canyon PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:55 pm
    —
My CC1 disc is a Christmas ornament at this point... as a kid from the sixties growing up on military posts we had good old army men and bb guns... G.I. Joe and Major Matt Mason. Those and a fertile imagination... and well, do dirt clod wars count?

#191: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: longnez PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:24 pm
    —
The arrival of my 1st PC made me discover CCIII and its wonderful innovations that brought this magnificent STR. I will never forget our wonder, my kid and i when we played this game the first time (exclamations in Russian, English (we're french), German voices and sounds of guns and canons etc ...).
I never got tired of this game that i didn't find in the others séries parts of COI. Unfortunately, since installing W10, i can't play it (i have this error message that applies: application error. The application failed to start correctly (oxc000022) ... If someone could help me, that would be great. Tks all.

#192: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: mick_xe5 PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:37 pm
    —
longnez wrote (View Post):
...Unfortunately, since installing W10, i can't play it (i have this error message that applies: application error. The application failed to start correctly (oxc000022) ... If someone could help me, that would be great. Tks all.
Try right-clicking on Program Files/Microsoft Games/Close Combat III/CC3.exe and select 'Run as administrator'

#193: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: reconscoutLocation: U.S.A. PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:40 pm
    —
My 1st PC was a TRS-80 III by Tandy back in 1982, they had several games out by Avalon Hill for it but most games back then consisted of Xs and Os chasing each other firing - at each other but one was like Panzerblitz and had German and Russian tanks game pieces on a board and the computer would decide the battle. I still have those games and computer somewhere in my basement. When I bought my 1st Windows 98 based computer,one of the 1st games I tried was Close Combat.

#194: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: longnez PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 pm
    —
mick_xe5 wrote (View Post):
...Unfortunately, since installing W10, i can't play it (i have this error message that applies: application error. The application failed to start correctly (oxc000022) ... If someone could help me, that would be great. Tks all.
Try right-clicking on Program Files/Microsoft Games/Close Combat III/CC3.exe and select 'Run as administrator'

I've already tried this solution but it still does't work.

#195: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: JFFulcrum PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:02 pm
    —
My first was someone from Battle Isle series in early of 90`s. But the game that leads me to CCs was now forgotten Iron Cross (1994). It had nearly all the features (force purchasing before battle, realtime action, infantry hiding in destructible buildings, off-map air&artillery support, detailed debriefs), but graphics quality was just bad and controls was a headache. It also suffers from too big maps, so you easily can spend an hour to just reach the enemy (some maps in CCGtC are that bad big too). So first CC was a brilliant after it.

#196: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Nacho78Arg PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:24 pm
    —
Believe it or not, my first wargame was the close combat 1 demo back in 1997. Until then I only played DOOM, Transport Tycoon and Carmen Sandiego

#197: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:57 am
    —
I recently wanted to check Steel Panthers again and found out, there is now a free version Steel Panthers: Main Battle Tank(MBT) from camo workshop with free updates.

http://www.shrapnelgames.com/Camo_Workshop/MBT/MBT_page.html

Besides, Steel Panthers: World at War is available free from Matrix Games with updates.

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/297/downloads/

These  games all together give me a nice flavor of all the battles fought in 20th Century with realistic scenarios based on references (check the bottom of scenario descriptions.) They are even just good to check Encyclopedia of Weapons for different Nations, if you are a arms enthusiastic like me Very Happy

#198: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Nembo PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 2:14 pm
    —
My first war game was Civil War General, think I still have the cardboard keyboard command sheet that came with the game somewhere. My first war game I played online was Close Combat 2.

#199: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: chessmasterLocation: Antwerp and Ghent PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:31 am
    —
Wolfenstein 3D in MSDOS :p

Also played a Civil War Game in DOS, with dices

good times Smile

#200: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: gravyface PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:45 am
    —
Ancient Art of War, circa 1984.  Had it on a Compaq IBM XT clone.

#201: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Hank PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:13 pm
    —
Rise and Decline of the Third Reich. I was a Freshman in college.

#202: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: bexx76 PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:08 pm
    —
ROMMEL, LAST GLORY AT KASSERINE : http://zargosl.free.fr/rommel-UK.html
JENA:  http://zargosl.free.fr/jena-UK.html
YORK TOWN: http://zargosl.free.fr/yorktown-UK.html
NORGE: http://zargosl.free.fr/norge-UK.html

lol it was 1986, i was 10 years old, i received the games from a friend of my father....

#203: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:05 pm
    —
1st console wargame was Panzer general on PS1.. I had a war game for sega but cant remember its title
1st PC wargame was infact the awesome Close Combat III
1st board war game was carrier strike by MB in 1980.. followed by dawn patrol by TSR in 1982.. then anzio '74,stalingrad,wooden ships and iron men and stratego around 1985

#204: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: MörserCarlLocation: Tokyo PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:31 am
    —
Massive snowball fights in Greenland! (does it count?) Sure felt like all out war.

#205: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: dan_the_general PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:33 am
    —
Arnhem or Theatre Europe on ZX Spectrum +.
I play both, but dont remember which was first.

#206: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: DELETED PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:18 am
    —
CC A Bridge too Far. Then a friend told me about another CC game that had just been released at the time - CC3 The Russian Front. Bought that a couple of days later. Awesome series.

#207: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 12:49 pm
    —
1st PC game was CC3 and bought it in 1999.. and been a fan ever since

#208: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: stienerLocation: Gibsons B.C. canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:06 am
    —
I started table top wargaming when I was a kid...too long ago to remember  Very Happy I have close to a thousand 25 mm napolionic figs I don't use now. I started playing CC at CC 2 and was hooked.....love CC.
my favorite right now is LSA / GJS mod. stock LSA isn't that great per say but love all the game options it has. IMO it was the pinicle of CC for that....all the stuff we wanted in a CC game. matrix finally listened...then after LSA took some of the options out....sigh.

I have great hopes for the bloody first....hoping Matrix listens to the people who buy there games and improves on it to make better CC games.....so far im not getting my hopes up in that dept........sigh

#209: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Jatke PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2020 2:15 am
    —
Plastic soldiers on a brown and cream, 12" tiled linoleum bedroom floor, between my bed and my bother's. Assorted toys were used to landscape the battlefield, from Ft Apaches walls to Lincoln Logs (which 'explode' really well when hit solidly). Every turn you got to move 3 soldiers half a tile each, attempting to get a guy to the enemy goal line. After WeGo movement you got to shoot, from up on your bed, as many rubber bands as there were soldiers left alive for you. MGs got to shoot as many rubber bands as you could fit onto your fingers in 1 shot. Mortar and bazooka men got to use the heavier gauge rubber bands. One soldier was secretly selected to be your sides leader. If he got killed you immediately lost.
We had rules for determining who was killed or wounded, with wounded men returning to battle at your goal line after 3-5 turns depending on how bad he was hit. Any man who had a rubber band touching his base or body was pinned and could fire but not move.

Needless to say we spent far more time battling it out on the floor than doing homework. But only until  Avalon Hill came along, then SPI.

#210: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2021 4:32 pm
    —
Carrier Strike by Milton bradley in 1980
dawn patrol by TSR in 1982
Anzio and Stalingrad from Avalon Hill in 1985

1st pc wargame was Close Combat III in 1999

#211: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Astalon PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 3:54 pm
    —
First board wargame - Panzerblitz in the very early 80s.

First PC game - the original Close Combat not long after it was released.

#212: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: longnez PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 10:15 am
    —
CCIII Front Russian Front the best serie

#213: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:20 pm
    —
CCIII Front Russian Front the best serie

Glad to you are a part of the ELITE!

not alot of us die had CCIII players left i think..Technically I play COI these days as its more stable and a bit better than COI .. same otherwise..

everyone  has a hard on for LSA or TLD these days it seems

#214: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: KG_BrandenburgLocation: Austin,Tx PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 2:21 pm
    —
meant.. COI is a bit better than CC3

i cant edit my comments on this page?  havent been in a year or so.. guess not

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1