What was your first wargame?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#141: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: pagskier PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:05 pm
    —
I gotta say it's probly CC1 Demo!

#142: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: HoogleyLocation: Brisbane PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm
    —
Wow, mooxe, you had me scratching my head for a bit there; it's been so long.

The first wargame ever would have to be 1/72 scale army men in the mud under the carport.

I think the first board wargame was probably Mechwarrior.

The first computer wargame... it was either Defender of the Crown or The Ancient Art of War.  I can't remember which came first.

I am now wondering how many here are old enough to remember these games.

EDIT - Ha!  Well, mooxe, I see you are at least!  Wink

#143: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Zep PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:50 pm
    —
My first was Tamiya 1/35 models
My frist board game was Avalon Hills PanzerBlitz
My frist computer game was CC1
Those were the good old days!

#144: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: matthewhalosLocation: Davao City, Philippines PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:26 pm
    —
my first boardgame is the "game of the generals" (i think only released here in the philippines??)
first computer game is the Microsoft Flight Simukator 98
and first wargame is with my older brother and friends with 1/72 colored plastic toy soldiers....

i really missed these moments....i wish there is a time machine already

#145: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:29 am
    —
Hoogley wrote (View Post):

The first computer wargame... it was either Defender of the Crown or The Ancient Art of War.  I can't remember which came first.

Defender of the Crown was great, it may of been my first strategy game for a computer. In my original post I said Dune was, but that was for PC. I remember playing Defender back on my Commodore 128 (when computers were measured in kilobyes verba! haha)... the key was getting land with lots of vassals, and having Robin Hood cut the throats of guards on your big assault. I also remember using a catapult to knock down castle walls. Man that was a good game!

I just did a google search for it... looks like its updated to todays graphics. Verisons of this game for every gaming platform it seems.

#146: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: thumb PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:23 pm
    —
My first 'official' wargame was 1863, but my sandbox friends and I had already been wargaming with miscellaneous toy soldiers for several years. Up until the Civil War centennial our focus had been pretty evenly divided between WW2 and Cowboys&Indians.

#147: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: LoneRebel PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:37 am
    —
Close Combat was the very first wargame I played, as a kid, but I was too young to really understand it back then. The first strategy game I really got into was Empire Earth.

#148: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 4:10 pm
    —

The first wargame ever would have to be 1/72 scale army men in the mud under the carport.

Yes back in the day (late 70's / early 80's ) those 1/72 scale models and soldier molds were everywhere.   I think that was the "real" first wargame for all us of that generation...before we knew how to play the boardgames.

#149: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: tigercubLocation: charters towers PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 8:42 am
    —
Third Reich board game...

#150: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: WilliamTheSilent PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 10:51 am
    —
dj wrote (View Post):

Yes back in the day (late 70's / early 80's ) those 1/72 scale models and soldier molds were everywhere.   I think that was the "real" first wargame for all us of that generation...before we knew how to play the boardgames.

If you look at it like that, my first wargame would be with LEGO (late '60)). I used to build ships/airplanes/vehicles with secret weopons in them with my neighbour friend and then we would destroy each other. We also would play with airfix 1/72 armies in the backyard.

My first computerwargame was Battles of Napoleon (SSI) on C64. I still have the game on my PC and I wished the would still bring out the kind of newer version. Totally editable wargames in 2D is what I like.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/309/details/Black.Powder.Wars:.Battles.Of.Napoleon

#151: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:53 am
    —
Well I had Steel Thunder and Fighter Bomber on my C-64. For PC the first 'big' and significant war game was Steel Panthers 1. Pretty soon after that I got CC 3 and still going with that and CC 5 and the mods.

#152: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:01 pm
    —
1942 or Who Dares Wins II, on the good old MSX 2 machine. Ah, happy days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gUGPaE-R8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfJpfAo0uxA

#153: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: blinddog14Location: Grand Canyon PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:32 pm
    —
CC1... all those years ago...

#154: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: CiggyLocation: Nelson PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:51 am
    —
plastic army men is the earliest i remember. lighting them on fire and blowing them up with crackers

#155: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:58 pm
    —
Eastern Front on an old Atari 800XL. Was aggravating as could be also. The Russians had this nasty habit of retreating forward many times when they were crushed as recall, making it more difficult and had to waste time moving to get rid of those units, kind of like mobile partisans.

BTW: Think recall many names here from years ago on the old MSN network glory days. Lots of fun and recall them quite often.  Smile

#156: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: Urmo PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:22 am
    —
Mattell Intellivision "Armor Battle" 1978. Very fun multiplayer tank game, played it lot with my bros. Maps does have buildings, rivers, swamps and forests.

#157: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: DoktorPajLocation: Norrköping PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:25 pm
    —
The first wargame I saw was Steel Panthers, my father used to play that when I was younger. He then moved on to Close Combat IV and V. I got interested mainly because I used to sit and watch him play, and when I got older we discussed potential tactics in the game and also the war itself. The first fps I saw was Medal of Honor: Frontline for playstation 2, which he also was a fan of.

#158: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 5:08 pm
    —
Armour Battle... look at those graphics!

Link

#159: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: ke_mechial PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:09 pm
    —
Steel Panthers 2...

#160: Re: What was your first wargame? Author: dgfredLocation: N.C., USA PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:24 pm
    —
Boardgame = Africa Korps

Computer = Gettysburg and CC2

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  :| |:
Page 8 of 11