Pershing vs Panther - Cologne
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:22 am
    —
I seen this video years ago but only up until the weekend did I know the story behind it. Thanks to Serk for showing me the links.

At this 1st site you will see the still frames of the actual video explained frame by frame.

http://www.3ad.com/history/wwll/feature.pages/bates.index.htm

Here's the video with the full story including one of the actual crew from the Pershing.

Link

#2: Re: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: tigercubLocation: charters towers PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:24 am
    —
i think 2 got out...you can see the fire in the holes the 90mm punched throw the panther.

#3: Re: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:24 am
    —
thanks for clip..good comment from the gunner.. they were still humans...

#4: Re: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: diggin.robatLocation: Land of the krauts PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:04 pm
    —
See an examination of that encounter from a german journalist:

Tank duell at cathedral

#5: Re: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: tigercubLocation: charters towers PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:19 pm
    —
i was at that railway station in 1992..

#6: Re: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: Serk PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:32 pm
    —
Looking at the frame by frame examination, it appears maybe 4 crewmembers managed to escape. The loader whould have been disabled by the 2nd hit. 3 guys clearly managed to escape, but because of smoke, it's not sure if the tank commander made it. I would guess he did as he was the first to get out of the tank. 3 guys clearly managed to escape, plus maybe the tank commander.

#7: Re: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:58 pm
    —
I saw that previously on the History Channel.  The poor Sherman crews were hopelessly outmatched 1 on 1 against the German armour.  It was disturbing to see that poor American crewman struggle to climb-out with his leg sheared-off...only to bleed to death a couple minutes later despite his effort to get out.  At least he didn't die getting burned while still alive.

Then the Panther got it...yeah the Germans got out with not a moment to spare before the final round hit the ammo.  Burned for 3 days?  wow

#8: Re: Pershing vs Panther - Cologne Author: Dima PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:41 pm
    —
Serk,

Mate, that hit did disable radioman and driver instantly for sure.
Only 3men in turret could escape..

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1