Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version released!
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#21: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:35 pm
    —
What I don't understand is why they didn't make it modable.
There are some very nasty mistakes in TOE they offer and u can't fix them Sad.

#22: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: pagskier PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:43 pm
    —
No idea I tought it was actually...

#23: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: Dima PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 4:57 pm
    —
You can mod textures and sounds - that's all Smile

#24: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: pagskier PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 9:08 pm
    —
aaah  Sad
just a nice pic I found on CM forums

#25: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 2:32 am
    —
Well how many of you here play Company of Hero's and did you enjoy that?
How does this game compare to that?

#26: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: pagskier PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 3:29 am
    —
Here is a video

I've played only the demo, but there is no control point like Compagnies of hero.
It`s basicly the Regiment commander told you to do this so do this.
You control the Easy Compagny and you need to move on X village.
You'll be supported by X support element.

then you attack and got some victory ellement wich are usually control X and X area, destroy the ennemy and Don't lose X % of troops.
Troops follow you(for the moment) through the battles. In the campaing I'm playing right now it is Easy and Fox compagny of 302 reg. I think.

There is no flag or control point, and If I remember well ressuply and oil points

I've restarted the campaing again, I'm moving through a semi-historical GC. around Ecqueville
An AAR Video of CM BN

#27: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: Dima PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:06 am
    —
Quote:
Well how many of you here play Company of Hero's and did you enjoy that?
How does this game compare to that?

you can't compare these games - CoH is an arcade, CM is a real wargame.

#28: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:59 am
    —
if this is the future of wargaming.. then long live cc

#29: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: buufaceLocation: Thailand PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:11 am
    —
I've bought the full version of this game but just cant seem to get into it.

doesnt feel very user friendly and i can never seem to find the right camera angle.

a birds eye cc style view just doesnt seem to work and zoomed out that far all the map and details dissapear.

despite all the realism ect i just dont find myself very inspired to play ! need to give it more time i suppose

at the moment I still just want to continue slogging away on GJSv44 agaisnt Stumpy here !!

dispite the constant bugs and 00:00 crashes !!!!  Laughing

#30: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: mikwarleo PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:11 am
    —
I played CM for the first time yesterday. I can see why Serk has been banging on about this game for ages! ;)

My opinion: What a great game!! and... WHAT A SHAME.
I agree with previous comments by Dima on this one.

This is yet another game that really misses so much by skimping on relatively little: the strat map! Surely the battlefield graphics and mechanics are where the big work is done in developing these games? Theatre of War is another that comes to mind. Equally good, with the same/similar problems.

War gamers don't want meaningless single battles, they want progress, they want accomplishment and hard-won territory. They want to use captured equipment against the enemy! Capture supply depos, etc.

The battlefield mechanic in CM far surpasses CC but he lack of a real campaign and no modding amounts to an unnecessary disappointment and for mine I'm sticking with CC for now.

#31: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy Demo is out! Author: HughbeastLocation: Wpg PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 1:25 am
    —
I've played both CC and CM1 and CM2 all Shock Force versions - a lot. I can't wait for the Canadians et al in the next mod of CM2. For what it's worth here are my observations to some comments.

Dima wrote (View Post):
Quote:
The more units one the map the harder to control them in real time. Sometimes I have problems to control 10.

that depends on skill, you know Wink.

Remember the Pause button - it is your friend ! I used to have an absolutely awful time with that same problem until I mastered the Pause button. Makes a HUGE difference - try it and see. Use the pause, review the areas you are concerned about, hit GO. It may change your opinion entirely.
Or else play the "We Go" version if it's hard for you to play rt with large groups of troops. Real life span of control is only about 1 leader to 5 troops/cops/firefighters/etc, which is why fire team leaders and section/squad/platoon 2 i/c's exist. I used to play nothing but the WeGo. It's great in the bigger scenarios with lots of troops - and it's pretty cool and useful to watch the units do their thing from different camera angles. It helps you to find which camera angle you find the one you like best too.

Quote:
But the limit is not so unrealistic! Its realistic! In real life most of soldiers route or don't want to shoot at the emeny, so casualties in 2 hours battles are close to those "15 vs 15" in CC:) or the numbers are even less.

in ww2 times infantry battalion had like 500m front of attack. In CC we attack on 500m with companies maximum - that's not realistic and one of the reasons why we have so big casualties Smile.

The CC 15 a side limit does impose some ahistorical limits for its scale. So what ? It's a fun game anyhow and if it's scaled appropriately in the scenarios it works well enough, history and doctrine aside when playing DIY stuff.
CM2 does a better job of putting all of the troops on the ground but it's a much newer product and has more rough edges with it's editors. Over time, given the necessary support it'll be pretty good at doing what we as gamers want.

Quote:
You cant in CMBN.

ahh, that's bad. I was referring to the old CMs.

Haven't done it lately so I can't comment.

Quote:
And watch how your soldiers get slaughtered while trying to find the door and knock knock

well, i believe it was worse in old CMs and is definetly worse in LSA Smile.

Agreed with Dima entirely but you're far from wrong for new players.
It's very much a matter of working the tutorials. I got hammered several times using what I thought should work best. Practice helps, imagine that  Shocked  
My issue is and was the way the guys clear the rooms, especially in the early days of CMSF. I had guys potted in the back by bad guys I knew would be close to my entry point. Solution ? Pound the stuffing out of the entry side of the building first to ensure they are suppressed and sweep the room right after. Just like I was taught to do it live anyhow.

Quote:
The fascinating thing is that new Combat Missions fans only write comments about the graphics. Its like their simple brains are reduced to watching 3d tanks models and nothing else  
Battlefront forum is depressing read lately. Almost no comments on gameplay, mechanics! Thats not the community I used to know when I was a CMx1 player. Things change they say.

i must say, that till now i generally liked what i've seen in demo - spotting, suppression and maneuvre works just fine Smile.

I accept that a lot of the players get caught up in the graphics but what I really like are the more realistic ways that things happen in the CM series. The graphics help you to accept the abstraction of time in the game system for things to happen. I like being able to shift teams around and redistribute ammo. I like sending a scout team instead of sacrificing an entire section or squad. I like the 3D environment instead of dragging a mouse around to see what is available for great cover. All that said, there will always be a place in my heart for the simplicity of a good scenario for CC, especially when time and tiredness preclude even thinking of a medium size CM2.

Btw, given that the old CM1 had the Cats vs Crocs (Panthers & ? vs Churchill Crocodiles) scenario available I strongly suspect that flamethrowers will become available at some point !

#32: Re: Combat Mission: Battle for Normandy full version release Author: BungarraLocation: Murchison region, West Australia PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:57 am
    —
Commonwealth Forces Game Play Trailer

http://www.gamearena.com.au/videos/latest.php/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-commonwealth-forces-gameplay-trailer

http://www.gamearena.com.au/videos/latest.php/combat-mission-battle-for-normandy-commonwealth-forces-gameplay-trailer-2

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Goto page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
Page 2 of 2