Is Libya a War?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Is Libya a War? Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:04 am
    —
As the subject says, Is Libya a war? Or a battle? An uprising, revolution or terrorist campaign. What's the difference anyway?
Your thoughts, as the endgame for Quadaffi approaches...........

#2: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:58 am
    —
It's a 'democratic coup d'etat'.

#3: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:57 am
    —
MajorFrank wrote (View Post):

In other words... people who supported the system for 30 years and more now want to take the power themselves.
Fighting is fighting, killing is killing and war is war... nevertheless what they promise the people, nothing will change  Confused

#4: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: pagskier PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:17 pm
    —
it's a civil war for sure! Surprised

#5: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:17 pm
    —
I wonder how much casualties the rebel forces have taken so far. This thing has gone on for some time now, Gaddafi put up a surprisingly spritited fight with his merc-troops and loyalists.

Edit. Wikipedia refers to the thing as civil war.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Libyan_civil_war

#6: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 4:09 am
    —
MajorFrank wrote (View Post):

it's a CIA inspired revolt against a kind and benevolent leader    Very Happy

#7: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:44 am
    —
I personally deem it a war when someone asks for a CC mod  Razz

#8: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 am
    —
In other words... people who supported the system for 30 years and more now want to take the power themselves.
Fighting is fighting, killing is killing and war is war... nevertheless what they promise the people, nothing will change  Confused[/quote]
spot on.. your dead right.. next in line step up!!

#9: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: 0202243 PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:45 am
    —
Blackstump wrote (View Post):
Fighting is fighting, killing is killing and war is war... nevertheless what they promise the people, nothing will change  Confused

spot on.. your dead right.. next in line step up!![/quote]

heard on the news today there were some disagreements between the northern & southern located rebels. One of the 2 wants to have the 'Sharia' as a basic for the new system.
what i want to say is they don't yet have the whole cake, but they allready start to fight about the participation of it.
The joy of the common people won't stay for long  Confused

#10: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: Therion PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:20 pm
    —
0202243 wrote (View Post):
Blackstump wrote (View Post):
Quote:

spot on.. your dead right.. next in line step up!!

heard on the news today there were some disagreements between the northern & southern located rebels. One of the 2 wants to have the 'Sharia' as a basic for the new system.
what i want to say is they don't yet have the whole cake, but they allready start to fight about the participation of it.

Why can't they just drop that stupid idea of religious rule? Shit like this is always going to make them divided and weak.

#11: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: BlackstumpLocation: Hunter Valley Australia PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:00 am
    —
Yes roll the dice, see what you get, couldn't be worse could it..
Then again A. Hitler, J.Stalin, I. Amin, P. Pot.. etc do come to mind.
People of the free democracies should be thankful, and ever wary of their political position.
The abyss is there for everybody to see.

#12: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:37 am
    —
0202243 wrote (View Post):

That is common when a country is made up of different tribes, religions or cultures. When a dictatorship fallls is often when a country breaks up, like Austria- Hungary, Yugoslavia or Czechoslovakia. Sometimes it can bring a divided people together like Germany.
I'm not sure about Libya though, what areas are ther anyway - the beach bit and the desert bit?

The world map we have has a lot of made up, post colonial countries that are not natural. If the people agree, like in Sudan it may be the best thing to divide, though I'll bet they both clain the part with the oil!

#13: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:07 am
    —
Saying in the media here that Gaddafi might have access to a so called dirty bomb, that is a nuke device of some type.

#14: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:39 am
    —
The Libya situation is a load of bullcrap.  Several years ago President Bush lifted sanctions and conducted multi-billion $ oil deal for his Big Oil constituents.  Despite the fact Colonel Kadafy is a terrorist responsible for the Lockerbie incident.  2 years ago Conservative American Senators Graham and McCain met with Kadafy in person and praised him as good guy and partner against terrorism.  Wikileaks recently exposed these frauds - with comments how they promised Kadafy free military equipment and C130 aircraft as favor for his "partnership".  Which had not crap about real alliance...it was simply about making $ for the industrial lobbyist donors.  How totally disingenuous of these Senators...whom first praised Kadify as partner on behalf of their Big $ political donors....then AFTER the Libyan rebellion, now all of sudden pretend they do not like Kadafy.

Let's not kid ourselves, it's all about the $.  It's never about "the people" or human rights unless the Corporatists can get $ out of the deal.  British Petreleum and American Oil did huge deals with Kadafy and then he was our friend.  Then the west pretends he is bad guy when Kadafy is politically out of favor.  Not much different than the Iraq situation under Hussein in many respects.

#15: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:43 am
    —
Now they're saying there have been an undisclosed number of SAS soldiers fighting with the rebels for weeks who are now chasing Gaddafi. I wonder if that was according to the original UN mandate... Question

#16: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:54 pm
    —
DJ is right. Oil $$ are the deciding factor for the West being involved in Libya, while letting the Syrians get slaughtered in the meantime. It's the way the world turns, not much you can do, just be aware of it and not be too self righteous.

#17: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:38 pm
    —
The whole situation might as well become a huge embarrassment fot the NATO, because there are a lot of jihadist-salafists on the anti-Gaddafi side, not to mention that this, until recently, loose tribal union called Libya might as well relapse into a tribal anarchy.

But yes, it is a war.

#18: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:18 pm
    —
And just 5 days after the previous post:
http://www.debka.com/article/21259/

Or in Ray Charles style - Tell me what d'say?

#19: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:12 am
    —
Well I think the fact that there have been Al Queda elements among the rebels has been known for some time, I remember hearing about that many weeks, even months ago.

#20: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: kawasakyLocation: Zagreb, Hrvatska PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:16 pm
    —
yes, but now it is "official"

#21: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:39 pm
    —
No no no...virtually ALL armed insurrections have a loose patchquilt of various factions that unite as one due to the necessity of taking-out the command/control of the government.  Yes it is true that the Muslim Brotherhood has some limited factions with "terror" agendas to promote fundamentalist Islam.  However it is extremely unlikely that the various Arab / Persian rebellions were actually due to these terror-linked interests.  For example Syria and Iran already have a radical fundamentalist government in charge with state-sponsored links to terror groups.  

Basically the limited factions that did have ties to radical Islam agenda, were simply exploiting the situation to leverage their interests.  Precisely as America and the West did exactly the same.  On the drop of a dime, we switched sides...dropped support for both Hosni Mubarek and Colonel Kaddiffy like a hot potato.   Then all of a sudden we painted a negative portrait of the Libyan and Egyptian dictators to give the illusion we were on the side of Human Rights and the "people".  

Let's be honest...the majority of the Islamic world really dislikes the West in general, no matter if they are radical fundamentalists or our "allies".  People from Egypt and more recently in Libya have been accusing those dictators for years of being "puppets" of the CIA or the West.  We only wanted to be friends with Kaddafy because BP and U.S. Oil stood to profit from the recent Multi-Billion $ trade deals.  Egypt actually was a useful partner for peace with Israel and good trading partner.  But at the cost of Mubarek's oppressive rule and iron fist of tyranny.

#22: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:57 pm
    —
FYI, at the moment I'm reading about WW2 in North Africa, Vichy France, Italy and Germany against the Brits and Americans. Interesting how that region kind of favours the defender, Gaddafi is 'doing a Rommel'.  Wink

#23: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: Panzermayer PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:50 pm
    —
dj wrote (View Post):
The Libya situation is a load of bullcrap.  Several years ago President Bush lifted sanctions and conducted multi-billion $ oil deal for his Big Oil constituents.  Despite the fact Colonel Kadafy is a terrorist responsible for the Lockerbie incident.  2 years ago Conservative American Senators Graham and McCain met with Kadafy in person and praised him as good guy and partner against terrorism.  Wikileaks recently exposed these frauds - with comments how they promised Kadafy free military equipment and C130 aircraft as favor for his "partnership".  Which had not crap about real alliance...it was simply about making $ for the industrial lobbyist donors.  How totally disingenuous of these Senators...whom first praised Kadify as partner on behalf of their Big $ political donors....then AFTER the Libyan rebellion, now all of sudden pretend they do not like Kadafy.

Let's not kid ourselves, it's all about the $.  It's never about "the people" or human rights unless the Corporatists can get $ out of the deal.  British Petreleum and American Oil did huge deals with Kadafy and then he was our friend.  Then the west pretends he is bad guy when Kadafy is politically out of favor.  Not much different than the Iraq situation under Hussein in many respects.

Its about the oil.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/sep/01/libya-oil

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/23/us-china-libya-oil-idUSTRE77M0PD20110823

#24: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: CC_CO PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:35 pm
    —
The Dogs Of War - see link - 6:28

(doorbell)

Why the hell didn't you call me as soon as you got back

I was busy, you got the money? no, no don't take your coat off

Here that's for you

What does it mean, can Kimba be replaced?

Read the report

Is there any chance of a coup?

No not now, he don't trust his own army, rations on bullets...he's crazy, see, so unless there is some kind of guerilla army building up outside Zangara I don't know about, forget it!

The people I represent wont do business with a madman, he obviously gotta go

What did you say?

Could a well trained, well-equipped mercenary force succeed?

Succeed, at what?

Replacing Kimba

What did you find over there, oil, diamonds?

Could it succeed?

Sure why not?

Link

Last edited by CC_CO on Wed Sep 12, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 2 times in total

#25: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: CC_CO PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 pm
    —
With the risk of spamming, I thought the lyrics from THE DOGS OF WAR has their place in this thread. They don't make movies like this any more.

Old lyrics from an old motion picture, using an old story, that still to this day keep repeating it self.  

Link

--- 03:49 ---

Epitaph on an Army of Mercenaries (XXXVI)

THESE, in the day when heaven was falling

The hour when earth's foundations fled,

Followed their?   mercenary calling,

And took their wages, and are dead.

Their shoulders held the sky suspended;

They stood, and earth's foundations stay;

What God abandoned, these defended,

And saved the sum of things for pay.

A.E. Housman

---

Casualties of the Libyan civil war

Overall deaths

In the end, according to the numbers presented, a total of 13,532 to 17,502 deaths have been reported, of which some have not been independently confirmed, and 4,000 people[2] have been reported as missing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casualties_of_the_Libyan_civil_war
---

TRIPOLI POST
Libya: Libyan Oil Firms Get more Autonomy to Become Economically Successful

23/03/2012 21:54:00

http://tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=2&i=8072

#26: Re: Is Libya a War? Author: CC_CO PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:23 pm
    —
double post

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1