Company of Heroes
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Company of Heroes Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 8:58 am
    —
In keeping with my ethic of playing games no less than 4 years old, I've started Company of Heroes.

So far so good, it's very fast, great graphics, lots of between scenes movies to set the games mood, the usual variety of units.

I hope it can keep me interested for a while, it seems sometimes all you have to do is get the units close and they fire away and win. Maybe I'll start again on hardest difficulty, it's good to lose once in a while as well, or maybe it's too soon in the campaign.

I was always a huge RTS fan, Age of Empires, Red Alert and Warcraft 2 were old time favs. This seems to be in that vein, but less open - more scripted, tighter objectives.

#2: Re: Company of Heroes Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:55 pm
    —
Sounds to me like your playing the Campaigns that come with the game?
I've tried a few of them but I enjoy the Skirmishes better.

Obviously I like the Battle of the Bulge Mod the most and have recently downloaded the Eastern front mod.
I seem to recall you can't use a Mod to play the Campaigns but don't hold me to that.

The Skirmishes are basically single battles.
One thing I like about the BotB Mod is that they changed the way you capture territory.You don't have to build anything now you just stay in that sector until the counter reaches 100%.
You get Ammo/Fuel etc even if not at 100% just not as fast.
And the more troops you have in that sector the faster the counter moves.

COH isn't the perfect game but I find it enjoyable.
My two biggest gripes is no Strategic map and how troops/vehicles/tanks get to close to each other when fighting.

I know the distance has been edited but not enough to my liking.

The game has never crashed on me,EVER

#3: Re: Company of Heroes Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:01 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):

COH isn't the perfect game but I find it enjoyable.

That sums it up in a nutshell.

#4: Re: Company of Heroes Author: 7A_WoulfLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:31 pm
    —
Been playing CoH "Opposing Fronts" (Market Garden as German or Caen as Tommy) the last week; -can only agree with the previous speakers...

#5: Re: Company of Heroes Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:21 pm
    —
It is such a shame CC never got a Map Making Program like this.

UO0011.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.41 KB
 Viewed:  6553 Time(s)

UO0011.jpg

UO0010.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  202.76 KB
 Viewed:  6553 Time(s)

UO0010.jpg

#6: Re: Company of Heroes Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:08 am
    —
pvt_Grunt wrote (View Post):

I hope it can keep me interested for a while, it seems sometimes all you have to do is get the units close and they fire away and win. Maybe I'll start again on hardest difficulty, it's good to lose once in a while as well, or maybe it's too soon in the campaign.

I'll take that comment back.... I just did the RED BALL EXPRESS mission, it took me 4 tries! There was a bit of cussing at the monitor, which brought Mrs Grunt to utter the ridiculous comment "If you're not enjoying it just stop playing" - UNBELIEVABLE

#7: Re: Company of Heroes Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:23 pm
    —
Does the CoH campaigns have a medal system, can the players progress, are the kills counted etc.?

I could imagine there being a game where the battles would be with CoH - style graphics but on a larger operational map. Something like in the Total War - series, except WW 2 - style.  Cool

#8: Re: Company of Heroes Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:06 am
    —
Some of my rifle squads have sargents stripes but I'm not sure if they earned them. There is no manual worth speaking of and Google hasnt helped. There are upgrades to units, like a flamer for engineers and a mine sweeper for Shermans. I would like to rename units too, I'll see if I can do it.

#9: Re: Company of Heroes Author: Elbuitre9Location: FRANCE PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:00 pm
    —
MajorFrank wrote (View Post):
Does the CoH campaigns have a medal system, can the players progress, are the kills counted etc.?

I could imagine there being a game where the battles would be with CoH - style graphics but on a larger operational map. Something like in the Total War - series, except WW 2 - style.  Cool

yes , you have a medal system for all campaigns in COH opposing front , Tales of Valor....
Don't hesitate to test very good mods like Blitkrieg, Eastern Front and NHC Mod,Europe in Ruins,...

For multi-users gamers, you can choose Operation mode in COH TOV

Elbuitre9

#10: Re: Company of Heroes Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:58 am
    —
Hey Grunt,
You interested in Beta Testing the next version of Battle of the Bulge for COH?
They are looking for Beta Testers.

So far it looks pretty cool.

#11: Re: Company of Heroes Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:15 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Hey Grunt,
You interested in Beta Testing the next version of Battle of the Bulge for COH?
They are looking for Beta Testers.

So far it looks pretty cool.

I dont really have time for testing, I only get an hour or so at night for gaming. I'll play it when it comes out.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1