Returning to the fold!
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Returning to the fold! Author: CSO_SharkyLocation: Good Old Blighty! PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:02 am
    —
Just a quick hello to you all young and not so young!

Played CC2 upwards as they were released back in the good old days and decided I missed the fun. Played with the old CSO lot hence my name and I think I recognise some names here, unless people have hijacked them! ;)

Anyway off to dust off my old CD's and suss out how to play again!

TTFN

#2: Re: Returning to the fold! Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:02 pm
    —
Welcome back

#3: Re: Returning to the fold! Author: CSO_SbufkleLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:14 pm
    —
CSO_Sharky wrote (View Post):
Just a quick hello to you all young and not so young!

Played CC2 upwards as they were released back in the good old days and decided I missed the fun. Played with the old CSO lot hence my name and I think I recognise some names here, unless people have hijacked them! ;)

Anyway off to dust off my old CD's and suss out how to play again!

TTFN

My god.. I remember you from a good 13 years ago at the CSO! Good to see you!!

#4: Considering Returning to the fold! Author: Gord55 PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:21 pm
    —
Hi All,

I am considering returning to CC as well. My last version was Beyond Overlord. A thoroughly frustrating game for the Commonwealth player.
I eventually quit playing in a fit of pique and frustration after multiple rounds from my Firefly's kept bouncing off various Panzer's at point blank range.
I wrote in protest to the then CC team and included penetration tables for the 17pdr.  I was told that the 17pdr was rated as equivalent to the US 76mm; A vastly inferior weapon (ask Eisenhower) !
At 1,000 yds the 17pdr was every bit as effective as the famed 88 and more than a match for any German tank; a true "One shot One kill weapon".
Even the 6pdr was deadly at close range and this was not reflected in game play.
I got very tired of Ger armour roaming around with absolute impunity not to mention the Tiger's magic turret with the V8 turning motor and auto loader.

Has this ever been addressed?

One of the other issues I had was with Commonwealth artillery response. Which was nil, when in fact the 25pdr rgts could drop a stonk on target in under 5 minutes (I will have to look it up but I believe the fastest responses were under a minute).

There is more but that is enough for now.

I do realise I am a bit of a grognard but then I am another of the old guard that has been wargaming since the late 60's. So I have an excuse.
Gord

#5: Re: Returning to the fold! Author: Rogue5108 PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:40 am
    —
Hi All,
I played the games when they were originally released, and again a few years ago.  I just saw that Matrix released a new version in June 2011.  Is it something other than just the mods combined?  I'd love to play an updated version that will work in Windows 7.  My old install started having errors last time I played, around 2009.  

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#6: Re: Returning to the fold! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 pm
    —
Ya, welcome back Sharky ;  though i just barely recognize the name.  Very Happy !

Someone could start a thread where folks who played CC2 (or even cc1) on The Zone could 'POST' in It.

Be kind of fun and a memory BOOSTER.   :)

ENJOY! ~ life...  :)

p.s. @ Suggestions / Rogue   I'd best not make -any.....  Though i do love Close Combat Modern Tactics.  And in my very very humble opinion think the newest re Releases are up to date for our cutting edge COMPS. (computers) and operating systems and are fun.  PLUS, the modders have apparently come up with some tweakings, adding the ability to Pick more units for gameplay instead of the stricter Historical & limiting choices.

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1