Swamp Walking..
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Swamp Walking.. Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:45 pm
    —
Hi,

Was a beautiful winter day here in Sweden. I love our “swamp” (mosse in Swedish)  that we live next to. In the winter the landscape is, well I attach the image..

By at_stalky at 2012-02-12

In the middle of the swamp thers an "island", only one little poorly maintained road for a tractor to go there, and during most year its impossible to go by foot even at the road as its.. well  a swamp.. We decided to go to island. It has now been very cold for 2 weeks, (minus 10 – 30 degrees Celsius) and it’s in the end of the winter. Thus I assume that the swamp was safe to walk as ground is frozen 30 cm deep, and all lakes here have thick ices.

Now, I was a bit shocked, I attach video and an image and you see why…

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Video:
Swamp short vid

Hm, how can this be?    Shocked
/S

#2: Re: Swamp Walking.. Author: US_BrakeLocation: USA PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:36 pm
    —
Be careful out there. Hate for you to end up a bog mummy.

The Bog Victims

#3: Re: Swamp Walking.. Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:16 pm
    —
Yup, got to have respect for it.

Made a grate mistake when assuming that the swamp would be really frozen with a thick safe frozen layer on top… Most where we walked had that hard surface... but not all.. Just cant understand how this works, my first thought was “hot springs”, but we have non here.. as far as I know…

#4: Re: Swamp Walking.. Author: MajorFrank PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:19 am
    —
A quick googling tells me that the peat and other stuff in swamps stores heat from the summer very effectively and thus doesn't freeze until very late in the winter. It can even melt snow from on top of it.

#5: Re: Swamp Walking.. Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 pm
    —
That may be it. Thanx MF

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1