new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation?
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

#1: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:50 pm
    —
Close Combat Panthers in the fog

#2: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:23 pm
    —
Please I hope that they let Slitherine do all the development on this.  

Yes Slitherine and Matrix are business partners or may have done a merger.  Slitherine has done a kick ass job with Panzer General rewrite.  They didn't just re-use the old code like Matrix did with their previous CC projects.

I'll be extremely disappointed if Matrix screws it up again and tries to turn it into a FPS or 3D copy-cat game for kids.

#3: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:48 pm
    —
No company/game information of any sort yet.

#4: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: dj PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:30 am
    —
Other than it will feature Panthers...so we know it will be something from '44 - '45

Did Slitherine complete a merger / acquisition of Matrix...or are they in just a business partnership?

#5: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 pm
    —
officially announced: last CC game of current engine

announcement

#6: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:30 pm
    —
Why they keep dividing people like this? they should release different theaters/campaigns as mods of the same game instead of as new games. Who is slitherine anyways? and why they talk about this being the last close combat with current engine? are they working on a new engine? is the old engine becoming open source or something?

#7: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:48 pm
    —
All I see is a few posts and no info.

Where exactly is the info coming from?

#8: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:06 pm
    —
The info is from Slitherine.
Slitherine and Matrix merged some time ago. So actually its the same company as before.
The changes in name of the distributor may be nothing but cosmetic.  

The real question is, who’s the developer? Is it still S3T/Blackhand or whatever they call em self for the day?

Perhaps Cathartes and/or Tejzsd knows, I mean, they have been involved with the developer for long now. Or is it a new crew this time?  Surely that cant be NDA.  

/Stalky

#9: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:50 pm
    —
Yawn

Until someone has a full blown account of the game and screen shots I consider this nothing worth paying attention to.

#10: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:50 am
    —
Don't know anything about this new release. So from a testing perspective it is a new crew (or everyone else is under NDA and not talking).

Here is link to the first thread in the development forum; http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3088054

The only thing it really states is the new game will use the current/same engine but is no a redo of a battle already done in CC.

#11: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:28 pm
    —
If I had to guess I would say its a Pacific Theater game using the LSA engine.

#12: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:55 pm
    —
Thanx for the info TJ.

/S

#13: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:47 pm
    —
From the Slitherine forums:

"..Number of squads to control in Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has been upped to a total of 21 squads, with sizes up to ten men!

With Slitherine acquiring the Close Combat license, this will be the last Close Combat on the original engine, with a new Close Combat coming out in the near future utilizing a new engine."

Slitherine is legit.  When they say some something.  I believe it.  Unlike Matrix.

#14: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:54 pm
    —
Hm, 21 units on the tac map? Is that what they mean?  Or?
Odd number, must be 3x7 setup?

#15: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:45 pm
    —
Analyzing the title and what little info we have I think that:

-It's probably a German offensive
-winter/autumn weather
-It's not in the west as the German offensive there was already covered two times, besides as Tejszd says: "is no a redo of a battle already done in CC".
-Must be one where the Panther tanks were prominent more than say Tigers or King Tigers.
-Maps will be huge, probably CCMT size considering that :"Number of squads to control in Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has been upped to a total of 21 squads, with sizes up to ten men!"
-Only CC where the number of men per team were 10 was CC3 (or CC3 with RealRed release aka CoI), also the only russian front themed game.

Considering all the above I think that:

-It will be set in the East
-Big/Major German Offensive
-circa late 1943/ early 1945

Wanna make your bets?  Laughing

#16: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:04 pm
    —
Erik Rutins wrote:

CC in 3D will work well and maintain the option for the top down perspective that CC gamers are used to, while finally bringing CC forward in terms of its looks and interface to the 21st Century. We're not planning to throw out the baby with the bathwater here. It will be Close Combat.

Making a new 3D engine gives you all the capabilities of 2D and a lot more. A new 2D-only engine at this point would not give CC the future success we would like it to have.

Regards,

- Erik

Matrix development forum

Well I just got excited, it seems the new CC engine coming after CC: PITF will be 3D, how it will be implemented? I don't know but I hope is not an CM or APK clone, keep it top down view but all the environment and units in 3D also keep it at the Company/Depleted Battalion level.

#17: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:53 pm
    —
It looks to be Q4 for this latest CC game and shooting for 2013 for a new 3D CC game.

Again,
I have no interest in another game using the current CC engine.

3D?
Depends on the theater/graphics/strategic map/game play/options.

Anything other than WWII I have no interest and no software or skills to edit in 3D and NO interest in learning.

Scott Parrino
The team will definitely be preserving the essence and atmosphere of the Close Combat series, we believe that moving it to the Unity engine will definitely help make it more current and also help greatly in addressing LOS and LOF issues from the "flat" graphical view of the classic series. Panthers in the Fog will be a well-done game in that more features and graphical fidelity has been added.

Number of squads to control in Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has been upped to a total of 21 squads, with sizes up to ten men!

With Slitherine acquiring the Close Combat license, this will be the last Close Combat on the original engine, with a new Close Combat coming out in the near future utilizing a new engine.

The graphical detail in Panthers in the Fog has been updated to 32-bit, with an improved UI as well, along with Slitherine's integrated multiplayer lobbies.
Iain McNeil announced that the new Close Combat will be using the Unity engine, moving the series into 3D, while still retaining the essence of the game, while improving gameplay such as the LOS detail. Projected release is 2013, with a release on both the Mac and PC. In the not-too-distant future the series will move to the iPad tablet.

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog will be coming out Q4 2012, announced by Iain McNeil.

Erik Rutins
CC in 3D will work well and maintain the option for the top down perspective that CC gamers are used to, while finally bringing CC forward in terms of its looks and interface to the 21st Century. We're not planning to throw out the baby with the bathwater here. It will be Close Combat.

Again,
Why do people put such little info out there and have nothing to actually show or tell is beyond me,Whats the point?

#18: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 am
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):

[i]Scott Parrino
The team will definitely be preserving the essence and atmosphere of the Close Combat series, we believe that moving it to the Unity engine will definitely help make it more current and also help greatly in addressing LOS and LOF issues from the "flat" graphical view of the classic series. Panthers in the Fog will be a well-done game in that more features and graphical fidelity has been added.

Number of squads to control in Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog has been upped to a total of 21 squads, with sizes up to ten men!

With Slitherine acquiring the Close Combat license, this will be the last Close Combat on the original engine, with a new Close Combat coming out in the near future utilizing a new engine.

The graphical detail in Panthers in the Fog has been updated to 32-bit, with an improved UI as well, along with Slitherine's integrated multiplayer lobbies.
Iain McNeil announced that the new Close Combat will be using the Unity engine, moving the series into 3D, while still retaining the essence of the game, while improving gameplay such as the LOS detail. Projected release is 2013, with a release on both the Mac and PC. In the not-too-distant future the series will move to the iPad tablet.

Where is this quote from?

#19: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:31 am
    —
The quotes are from multiple posts in this thread on all the new games coming;

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3087775&mpage=1&key=

For the 21 teams hopefully it means they have increased the fixed screen size from the 800x600 images rather just make images smaller to have 1 more squad per platoon.

Wonder what benefit the32bit color depth brings if any?

The new engine with 3D sounds good as long we can play like today but zoom in to any size we see fit and then change the angle to what a unit can see!

#20: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:16 am
    —
They talk as if Panthers in the Snow is already done in this sentence: "The graphical detail in Panthers in the Fog has been updated to 32-bit, with an improved UI as well, along with Slitherine's integrated multiplayer lobbies."

I hope we can see some screens soon!

As to the benefits well I think easier modding is one as you will not be converting images to 16-bit, more colors?, greater map detail and better definition maybe.

#21: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: hormone4Location: South Korea PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:34 am
    —
Here are some screenshots.
http://www.matrixgames.com/products/433/screenshots/Close.Combat:.Panthers.in.the.Fog

#22: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:36 am
    —
I hope the units are 32bit as well. Hard to tell in those photos, some were kind of white washed.

#23: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:26 am
    —
Screenshots look nice Smile.

What i don't like is specs:

Theatre: Western Europe
Unit Scale: Squad
Players: 1
AI: Yes
PBEM: No

#24: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:30 am
    —
Yeh, but they also said:
Quote:
along with Slitherine's integrated multiplayer lobbies.

Falaise... ?? SL made the maps for that mod years ago. Is it Falaise?

#25: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Dima PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:00 am
    —
Yeah, looks like Cobra and beyond.

#26: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: KilovskimkIII PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:39 am
    —
Hmmmm... No mention at all of any changes or tweaks to AI at all. Rolling Eyes  The 32 bit detail is much improved though. Guess we'll all just have to wait and see Neutral

#27: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:46 am
    —
21 units sounds reallyyyyyy nice.

What they say about LOS and LOF worries me though.

#28: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:20 pm
    —
The units definitely don't look 32-bits, they stand out from the rest of the graphics. It seems to me only the trees/shrubs have been upgraded.

Interesting nonetheless.

#29: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:23 pm
    —
Product info:

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the latest release in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series.  It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy.  Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314?  Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history?

Play single battles, linked operations, or even the Grand campaign simulating all six crucial days of fighting.  With 35 linked battlefields and historically accurate formations and units, strategic choices are as important as tactical prowess.  New features of long-range interdiction, strategic high ground and adverse weather conditions bring an insight into the challenges faced by those who commanded both sides in this pivotal WW2 battle.

For the Allies the Normandy landings of June were followed by two months of hard fighting in difficult terrain against a tenacious German defense.  But in late July the US Army’s Operation Cobra has finally created a decisive breach in the weakened German line.  Patton’s 3rd Army races through the opening along the western coast of France and into the clear, driving for the Brittany Ports.  Faced with the choice between retreat and last-ditch counter-attack, the Germans struggle to assemble a panzer force for one more charge.  Can the Germans move quickly enough to overcome a desperate situation, push through to Avranches on the French coast, and cut off Patton’s racing spearheads?  Or will the thinly stretched Americans troops screening Patton’s flank be able to hold out, regroup, and hold the vital lifeline open.

#30: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 pm
    —
Features:    

Over 50 historically accurate key units and 47 weapon types rendered in exact detail
Campaign map with 35 unique regions to fight over.
Command up to 21 squads at a time, and each squad can contain up to 10 men.
Improved 32 bit graphics allowing smoother, more realistic maps, more varied trees and improved effects
Refined front end and UI design making the game easier to play and updating the UI to more modern standards.
Improved force selection more accurately reflects WW2 formations meaning formations cannot be re-customised every battle. Losses and fatigue must be managed and platoons are historically balanced
Enhanced multiplayer experience using Slitherines integrated lobby, match making systems and routing server, which mean its never been easier to find an opponent and just play!
Improved High Level Gameplay brings the strategies of the battle to life with
Animated maps showing the progress of attacks and troop movements with new clarity
Holding high ground allows players to observe distant enemy troop movements.
Choose whether to allocate your air and artillery as close support for your own troops, or to interdict distant enemy formations.
Fog hides enemy formation

#31: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:35 pm
    —
and the maps are from SL... Smile

#32: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:35 pm
    —
and I hope that they will release a map editor with the new 3D engine otherwise it will the end of the modding community.

#33: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Sapa PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:16 pm
    —
the yellow tanks is it the Germans??

another US vs Germany...this time i will spare my money and buy beer instead

the maps looks great! as always from my friend down under  Very Happy

#34: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:27 pm
    —
Oh wow what a great way to start a day!

Definitely the maps look 10 times better although it seems that they changed only the terrain and trees, everything else looks about the same like the explosions craters and debris.

So many questions, I think I'll register over there to see if I can get some answers.

I'm a bit bummed is not set in the east though Sad

#35: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:01 pm
    —
Yeh.

Its a long time since i made a map, but wasn the map really 8 bit as matrix claimes?
Dint I save em as tga 16 bits?

Manoi? TJ?

#36: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:18 pm
    —
the graphics were saved in 16 bit tga. I don't know from where come this 8 bit

#37: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:53 pm
    —
It seems like every release there is a huge focus on maps, I don't get why. This game is all about the combat. Good units and good unit data are what counts the most.

Having Slitherine's multiplayer lobby is a bonus, but if its not built into the game it will not take off. They are saying "integrated" but I have a feeling that this is another BattleHQ/Power Lobbies 3rd party application where only Slitherine games are played. Did it work for Matrix? No.

The game still being 1v1 is not encouraging to me either. After all the Matrix recycling its hard for me not to be extremely skeptical about this release.

#38: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:55 pm
    —
Thanx
so i remember right then 16 bits.

When I draw map, I belive I made em in higher bits 8-bits times 3 chanels (RGB) =24? bits and then saved em in 16 bits to be used in CC, cant remember that I saw any difference.. Was winter maps though!
How do you make maps Manoi?

Last edited by AT_Stalky on Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:08 am; edited 3 times in total

#39: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Sapa PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:25 pm
    —
I was waiting for a pacific campaign Crying or Very sad

#40: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:45 pm
    —
AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Thanx
so i remember right then 16 bits.

When I draw map, I made em in 32 bits, and then saved em in 16 bits to be used in CC, cant remember that I saw any difference.. Was wnter maps though!
How do you make maps Manoi?

after checking my maps, I have realized that I used the mode rvb 8 bit in photoshop!!! Smile
but as I use textures that were taken in 8 bit, it is not interesting to work in 16 bit. The difference is very small.

#41: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:25 pm
    —
Yeh, what I remember was that Diff was small, though only draw winter maps...so

I looked at 5CC grapix info, it say:
"Remember that all the CC graphics are stored in 16-bit! In the past the TARGA
graphics format was used as the "de facto" standard for storing graphics to be imported by tools to
manipulate CC files. 5CC will follow this rule. It can import external graphics in 16-bit
uncompressed TARGA. --- when importing external graphic files, 5CC will automatically convert the graphics to 16-bit
(that is the reason why the import of graphics takes so much time, calculating each pixel)."

Hm, can iimagen that tanks, trees etc would look grater at higher bits? Have you tried that Manoi?

#42: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:28 pm
    —
I think the Scenario Editor will be very important, I hope it is as good or better than the one in CC3 or CC2.

#43: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Serk PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:37 pm
    —
I've been playing some combat mission online lately and man I hope we could see some kind a marriage between CM and CC. Combat missions's tactical system revolving around platoons and their control and command system with CC's operational layer and historical campaign. Shocked

#44: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:14 am
    —
Some of the new features sound good.

Personally argued for interdiction a lot in the past....

Bit surprised at the 35 regions to fight over. Sounds like only 35 maps to me then, though maybe they are CCMT sized ones because of the higher maximum number of units.

#45: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 am
    —
The Trees look "Awesome"
Nice to see they removed the Red/Green shading on the Strategic Map

But those Vehicles look like crap.
The colors remind me of the plastic Army Men I used to buy as a kid.

Is it still really only 1v1 online?.....Jeesh that would suck.

#46: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:31 am
    —
Now that the graphics are all at the same scale (I guess 9 or 10 pixels per meter), is the engine always using the old scale of 5 pixels per meter to calculate the distances???

#47: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:04 am
    —
Hm, I would not really mind “just” 35 maps.
I felt like 44 maps were rather cool on a strategy layer.
Though I fined that the strategy layer design is very important, and probably more important than the number of maps.  

I don’t know if the 64 maps added much? You guys who played WaR and compared it to CC4, does the 22 extra maps add anything that can be translated into game quality improvements or enhancement of the game experience?

#48: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:05 am
    —
32 bit graphics look good, but as you can tell, the "current" trend for maps are photo realistic.

Unforunately, this approach begs for photo realistic vechicles, other wise the overall impression feels "funny".

Again, unfornately, even with photo realistic maps, AND photo realistic vehicles and soldiers, the system won't be able to "blend" their movements in an acceptable way. In other words, it will look "funny".

The best approach, is to use maps, soldiers, and vehicles, that are strictly graphic in design and construction. Although labor intensive, this approach renders the game, in an artistic sense that is pleasing, and NOT "funny".

21 teams is too many. (especially if only single player is used). Rubber banding, notwithstanding.

1K maps are too large and tediouis. (especially if only single player is used). Unless infantry combat is abandoned altogether. (i.e. Panters in the Fog sounds just right). In the Fog.

Dedicated multiplayer arenas for this game, will not attract a large following.

The only value large maps can bring to the table, is if the various scales (vehicles, soldiers, ground), are in fact made equal, so that 4800 pixels, is something less than 1 KM of ground.

Large maps might be useful for the campaign game. Perhaps they should just have one monster map, with a shit load of Victory Locations on it.

35 maps are too many, unless they have figured out a way to make them quickly. The labor required for map making overwhelms the costs for other required aspects of the game.

#49: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:56 am
    —
Can't say if the extra 22 maps has helped because the AI is just to horrible to play against.
I do feel that the extra maps has improved the overall effect of the Strategic Map if it's designed properly.
Unfortunately I think the amount of connections on the strat map is set at 128 (I think) not enough if you ask me.

The really larger maps with what did they say (6 turns of Battles per day?) is going to be difficult.
Of course how many people really explore larger maps and how many just go for the VL's needed?

I know I just go for whats needed unless a particular map has LOS that's of great value.

#50: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Hemul PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:24 pm
    —
Classic real-time infantry combat wargame Close Combat is on the march towards a tablet release. It’s the second day of Slitherine/Matrix Group‘s press event: yesterday they announced that they had acquired all of the intellectual property associated with Close Combat, and today they’ve laid out their future plans for the franchise.

Close Combat: Panthers In The Fog (quite a saucy name, that) is set in the Ardennes in 1944 and will be out in Q4 of 2012 – but that will be Matrix’s last game based on the 15-year-old engine they’ve acquired. Work has already begun on its successor, a new game from the ground up based on the Unity engine. Unity gives the devs quite a lot of flexibility and they intend to make Close Combat for Android tablets and iPad – “probably not next year” but “possibly” in 2014.

Slitherine/Matrix technical director Iain McNeil was cagey when asked about the setting of the new Unity-based Close Combat but he made it clear it would be a World War II game. No Close Combat game yet has taken place in Africa or the Pacific – it would be interesting if that’s where they went. God knows any veteran CC player has seen his fill of top-down views of French hedgerows at this point.

That is quite a while away but the Close Combat series is one of the best-regarded wargames ever and probably my personal favorite. I await it’s release with equal parts excitement and fear for my social life/personal hygiene.

http://pockettactics.com/2012/04/24/close-combat-for-ipad-android-tablets-possible-in-2014/#vanilla-comments

#51: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:42 pm
    —
Now this makes no sense.

If Panthers in the Fog is an Ardennes Campaign then why am I not seeing that at the Matrix site?

Panthers in the Fog

Game Info:
Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the latest release in the critically acclaimed Close Combat series.  It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy.  Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314?  Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history?

Play single battles, linked operations, or even the Grand campaign simulating all six crucial days of fighting.  With 35 linked battlefields and historically accurate formations and units, strategic choices are as important as tactical prowess.  New features of long-range interdiction, strategic high ground and adverse weather conditions bring an insight into the challenges faced by those who commanded both sides in this pivotal WW2 battle.

For the Allies the Normandy landings of June were followed by two months of hard fighting in difficult terrain against a tenacious German defense.  But in late July the US Army’s Operation Cobra has finally created a decisive breach in the weakened German line.  Patton’s 3rd Army races through the opening along the western coast of France and into the clear, driving for the Brittany Ports.  Faced with the choice between retreat and last-ditch counter-attack, the Germans struggle to assemble a panzer force for one more charge.  Can the Germans move quickly enough to overcome a desperate situation, push through to Avranches on the French coast, and cut off Patton’s racing spearheads?  Or will the thinly stretched Americans troops screening Patton’s flank be able to hold out, regroup, and hold the vital lifeline open.

#52: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:33 pm
    —
could have chosen another theater of operations Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad

khkybj_1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.02 MB
 Viewed:  12272 Time(s)

khkybj_1.jpg

#53: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:41 pm
    —
Not really inmho

I just don't see how a Pacific Theater would be any fun.

There's just not enough tactics in burning the Japs out of Cave to keep the game interesting.
Assuming your vying for that Campaign?

#54: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Sapa PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:01 pm
    —
This will be Battle of the Bulge 2 summer campaign (Mortain is Bastogne) with yellow German Tanks (but the trees and maps looks good!

more units = more clicks on girls running in the wrong direction

#55: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:52 pm
    —
•Over 50 historically accurate key units and 47 weapon types rendered in exact detail
•Campaign map with 35 unique regions to fight over.
•Command up to 21 squads at a time, and each squad can contain up to 10 men.
•Improved 32 bit graphics allowing smoother, more realistic maps, more varied trees and improved effects
•Refined front end and UI design making the game easier to play and updating the UI to more modern standards.
•Improved force selection more accurately reflects WW2 formations meaning formations cannot be re-customised every battle. Losses and fatigue must be managed and platoons are historically balanced
•Enhanced multiplayer experience using Slitherines integrated lobby, match making systems and routing server, which mean its never been easier to find an opponent and just play!
•Improved High Level Gameplay brings the strategies of the battle to life with
•oAnimated maps showing the progress of attacks and troop movements with new clarity
•oHolding high ground allows players to observe distant enemy troop movements.
•oChoose whether to allocate your air and artillery as close support for your own troops, or to interdict distant enemy formations.
•Fog hides enemy formation

#56: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:55 pm
    —
Sapa wrote (View Post):
more units = more clicks on girls running in the wrong direction

Laughing

#57: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:05 pm
    —
Stalky as a Paparazzi photographer…

After Stalky has stalked Mrs PIF for 6 month and sneaking in the bushes he have successfully managed to take a picture of the famous PIF… Totaly naked, just in her tiny strategy map.... Blurry and all that goes with this type of images..

Cool

Yeh I know.. Rolling Eyes

panthers in the fog papara.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  141.67 KB
 Viewed:  12247 Time(s)

panthers in the fog papara.jpg

#58: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:06 pm
    —
anyone remember that post from a CC player that .......

made a new engineering
vehicles to turn in circles
dimension there was no limit on the maps
no limits on groups of soldiers about 500 or 1000 soldiers fighting the same battle

This man had a blog....can anyone help me find the post that was in...THE MESS...

perhaps sold his engineering to....................

Laughing  Laughing

#59: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:59 pm
    —
AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Hm, I would not really mind “just” 35 maps.
I felt like 44 maps were rather cool on a strategy layer.
Though I fined that the strategy layer design is very important, and probably more important than the number of maps.  

I don’t know if the 64 maps added much? You guys who played WaR and compared it to CC4, does the 22 extra maps add anything that can be translated into game quality improvements or enhancement of the game experience?

Nice comments stalk. You couldnt be more correct. Strategic map design is way more important than the number of maps. Reflects what I like to say.... new units/mods are great, but they are nothing without good data backing them up.

I think 64 maps added an extra feature line to the game description, thats about it. The stratmap in WaR was so insane and confusing.

#60: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: GaryChildress PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:57 am
    —
Dang, I saw the "Panthers in the fog" part and my first thought was Kursk! Crap!

#61: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:36 am
    —
I too thought CC was coming back to the east! seven games, now eight that are set in the west and only two in the east of which one is almost an exact remake.

#62: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Privateryan1 PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:04 pm
    —
I see nothing wrong with 21 teams and yes 64 maps is a waste of time against the AI and too cumbersome . After all these releases and mods , I would like to see real air drops like in CC2 where you could reinforce an out of supply or cut off battlegroup and of course a settled upon map size where the AI will actually attack you .Large maps just don't work and what would be wrong with multiple airstrikes and an end of battle popup screen where you could write your own after battle report , save and of course print !

#63: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:39 pm
    —
Privateryan1 wrote (View Post):
I see nothing wrong with 21 teams and yes 64 maps is a waste of time against the AI and too cumbersome . After all these releases and mods , I would like to see real air drops like in CC2 where you could reinforce an out of supply or cut off battlegroup and of course a settled upon map size where the AI will actually attack you .Large maps just don't work and what would be wrong with multiple airstrikes and an end of battle popup screen where you could write your own after battle report , save and of course print !

Exactly...well said.

I don't get it.  CC2 is over 10 years old.  And was arguably the best in the whole series in terms of those supply drops, tenacious AI and overall gameplay.  Even the morning briefing videos with narrator was really a first class production.

Yet with each new CC release it seems the gameplay against AI is getting progressively worse, to the point of being virtually unplayable altogether. Some of us just don't have the time to play online or H2H...especially for a grand campaign.  They also keep re-doing Normandy over and over again.  CC1, CC5, and now CC Panthers in Fog?  Whiskey Tango Foxtrot

Not trying to be a wet blanket.  Just not sure the game producers are cognizant of these issues.

#64: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Privateryan1 PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:02 pm
    —
I suppose the real problem is there are wishers , like me , and doers like the guys who have the ability and the power to do just about anything . Im sure there are many of us who just cant migrate away from COI for this reason as we have the ability to change ( well cheat ) with requisition points and of course CC5 offers real strategic gameplay . But wouldnt it be great ( wishing again ) , to have all these merged into one moddable game where you could reinforce , have 20 or more teams , merge groups , blow bridges , repair bridges , use real air drops , print and save reports and access force pools without  ( Sides are fixed ) .The more mods I see the worse the vehicle graphics have become ( only my opinion ) . Thats why I have spent over two years making a SUPERMOD , where I managed to get all of the best vehicles into one mod and have the same in COI and of course have tried to make maps as well 3D as possible .Like this...

278.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  984.85 KB
 Viewed:  7085 Time(s)

278.png

#65: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ArmeeGruppeSud PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:03 am
    —
Privateryan1 wrote (View Post):
.The more mods I see the worse the vehicle graphics have become ( only my opinion ) . Thats why I have spent over two years making a SUPERMOD , where I managed to get all of the best vehicles into one mod and have the same in COI and of course have tried to make maps as well 3D as possible .Like this...
G'day Privateryan1

Have not see your ID around before  Confused

Seems you had a similar idea.  Idea

When i created DOF2, i raped/plundered/pilaged all the graphics files of many different CC3 mods to gather the best Tank/AFV graphics that i could find and put them all into the DOF2 Tank graphics file.

Now i am working on DOF3 (both a CC3 & COI version).

If you have some cool new Tank/Gun graphics, the community & i would be grateful to have them made available  Very Happy

Was not going to bother changing any graphics for DOF3 (as i already have too much work in other areas; Data, CampOps etc), but if all i gotta do is put new graphics into the main file (and not have to make the graphics myself), i would do it Exclamation

cheers

AGS

P.S. Hey that map of yours is just SOOOOO sexy  Very Happy

#66: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: Privateryan1 PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:50 pm
    —
Hi ArmeeGruppeSud

This is probably the wrong place to post this but here they are anyway There are more default allied tanks in it as well but I have sacraficed almost all of the smaller vehicles ( the ones that get knocked out after thirty seconds when a battle starts ). Not for the purists as after my long struggle with x-tank  I felt I deserved the right to name them to whatevrer I liked .  Airstrikes as well and pretty devastating .

IN COI AND CC5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  447.56 KB
 Viewed:  6841 Time(s)

IN COI AND CC5.png

#67: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 3:47 am
    —
Quote:
They also keep re-doing Normandy over and over again.

That is an understatement, as well as many of the usermade mods have been based on Normandy.

Have been longing to see a Africa, even Italy based Mod with TLD, or WAR based Forcepool system.

#68: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ArmeeGruppeSud PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:31 am
    —
johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Quote:
They also keep re-doing Normandy over and over again.

That is an understatement, as well as many of the usermade mods have been based on Normandy.

Have been longing to see a Africa, even Italy based Mod with TLD, or WAR based Forcepool system.

YAWN

Yes, more of the same.

Would one of those CC4/CC5 modders please make a KOREA MOD?

That would just be............

S Cool   K Cool Cool L!

Korea would be so perfect!

You could map the whole peninsula

There are significant reinforcement dates
(when both side are down to holding their last map)

Plenty of good equipment, AK47s, T34/85s and Stalins for the Commies

The allies will have Patton tanks as well as the rusty old Shermans

Somebody.....................

JUST DO IT!

CHEERS

AGS

#69: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:48 pm
    —
Don't know what you think but seeing the comments and the number of posts of some members of their staff on the matrix ans slitherine forum, I think that a new wind is (finaly) blowing on the CC world!!!

#70: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: keyser Soeze PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:24 pm
    —
Manoi wrote (View Post):
Don't know what you think but seeing the comments and the number of posts of some members of their staff on the matrix ans slitherine forum, I think that a new wind is (finaly) blowing on the CC world!!!

I hope you are right, been to damn long already!!!

#71: Re: new close combat forum at Slitherine... any relation? Author: dj PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 3:50 am
    —
Here is the official product description, just posted on Slitherine:

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog

Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog is the latest release in the critically-acclaimed Close Combat series.  It details the desperate German counter-attack at Mortain, the last chance of the Wehrmacht to stave off defeat in Normandy.  Can you match the tenacity of the American defenders of Hill 314?  Or can you succeed where the Panzers failed, driving through to the sea and changing history?
For the Allies the Normandy landings of June were followed by two months of hard fighting in difficult terrain against a tenacious German defense.  But in late July the U.S. Army’s Operation Cobra has finally created a decisive breach in the weakened German line.  Patton’s 3rd Army races through the opening along the western coast of France and into the clear, driving for the Brittany Ports.  Faced with the choice between retreat and last-ditch counter-attack, the Germans struggle to assemble a panzer force for one more charge.  Can the Germans move quickly enough to overcome a desperate situation, push through to Avranches on the French coast, and cut off Patton’s racing spearheads?  Or will the thinly stretched Americans troops screening Patton’s flank be able to hold out, regroup, and hold the vital lifeline open?

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1