historical mod concepts
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Modern Tactics

#1: historical mod concepts Author: lifer PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:53 am
    —
I've been considering CCMT as a possible vehicle for historical mods. While this version is criticised for its lack of a strategic campaign or operations, it remains a fantastic tool for generating single battles with relative easy mod-ability and a vast array of units and possible forcepools. I've previously seen the large maps as either too big or full of space that is never used and I think this is especially true with the original maps (the ones from CCM).

The concept I'm considering starts with a standard CCMT-scale large map (see attached) - in this case LZ X-ray (1965 Pleiku operation) -  and then breaks it down into seperate battles. Those who know a bit about the history of this batte will recall it as largely a matter of holding the perimeter and was split between the different companies holding each corner of the zone. Adapting this to the attached map would see a separate quadrant being used for each separate battle, with the other (unplayed) area shaded out and coded as impassable. Each battle could then be broken down into separate timeframes with locked forcepools depicting the various stages of fatigue, casualties, reinforcements, etc. As such, I figure about 8-12 different battles could be created that could be played in turn. A multiplayer version featuring the whole map could also be produced for 5v5 play, assuming there's actually 10 CCMT players in existence (not so sure about that).

But I also think the concept can be taken to other historical engagements and here I'm thinking across the entire spectrum of the modern era (i.e. WWII to now). Off the top of my head I can suggest Inchon, Dien Bien Phu, Hue City, Grozny, Falklands or any of the Arab-Israeli conflicts.

Coding this map remains a bit of a problem. I've never coded a CCMT map before and my first attempt with 5CC ended in the program freezing up and having to be shut down. I have to assume it's a RAM issue. Any tips in this respect are much appreciated.

xray.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  409.62 KB
 Viewed:  11218 Time(s)

xray.jpg

#2: Re: historical mod concepts Author: lifer PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:02 am
    —
As an example of the usefulness and adaptability of CCMT, here's a screentshot of a new aircraft I added for the mod (namely a UH1 Huey). This took me about two hours from scratch to having it work in the game (and yes, this includes rotating rotor blades). I still haven't cracked changing aircraft graphics for COI despite hours, days and weeks of trying.

huey.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  391.13 KB
 Viewed:  11214 Time(s)

huey.jpg

#3: Re: historical mod concepts Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:04 am
    —
Nice looking map!

For 5CC with large maps there is no substitute for ram. Windows will use a swap file if it gets low on ram which slow performance.... Best is to add more ram....

Having said that here is something more concrete;
- clean up your hard disk deleting things to allow the swap file to grow larger
- defrag hard drive to allow the swap file to grow larger
- stop running everything else when in 5CC and working on large maps

#4: Re: historical mod concepts Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:22 pm
    —
Hey Lifer!

I can see Vietcong work in your PC!....For coding CCMT Maps I prefer 3C For CCMT...you can download...

http://closecombat.matrixgames.com/CCMT/ccmt_mapedit.html

good luck !

#5: Re: historical mod concepts Author: acebars PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:34 am
    —
I would be up for a CCMT multi bout on the condition someone fixes or tells me how to fix the battle ended low morale nonsense I can't seem to fix.

Trouble is I have to find my copy now since I played it last.

#6: Re: historical mod concepts Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 12:21 am
    —
Look like an awesome map

#7: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Bel8910 PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:59 pm
    —
that looks like an awesome map!  I like your huey, too. You can use my GTC graphics in CCMT...that's actually where I started all of this.  I would love a copy of your X-ray map and your hueys and anything else you are willing to share.  I really like your CC3 maps for Vietnam!  If I can help, let me know.

#8: Re: historical mod concepts Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:04 pm
    —
How new maps do you have finished lifer??

impressive work;)

#9: Re: historical mod concepts Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:05 pm
    —
Given the reduction in the number of mod makers and increased effort it takes to make maps for the later CC games (WAR, TLD, LSA, PitF and GtC) due to the number and size of maps your idea for historical single battles just might be the way to go.

It's to bad that CCMT does not support /D switch for having multiple mods installed and quickly switching between them....

#10: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:51 pm
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:05 am; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:19 pm
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:50 pm
    —
Arrow

#13: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:41 pm
    —
Arrow

#14: Re: historical mod concepts Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:37 am
    —
Interesting concept stwa!

I.always think in desert storm for a CCMT Mod.

#15: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:19 am
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

#16: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:11 am
    —
Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total

#17: Re: historical mod concepts Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:44 am
    —
Arrow

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Modern Tactics

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1