Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview!
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

#1: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:51 pm
    —
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3205839

#2: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: ScottPLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:07 pm
    —
You're fast! I was about to come here to post that link!

I'd also like to mention we have a gameplay trailer in the works to shed more light on Panthers in the Fog Smile

#3: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:11 pm
    —
If all of the things they mention in the interview are present and functional in the new system, then PITF will become a must game for all of us. But the same might be said for the 3D game, which may make me wait for it.

And, its not really a CC thing, but now days, I wait a full 1 to 2 years before I purchase any new titles. I am just in no rush anymore.

And then this from the inteview  Arrow

Finally, we’ve made some improvements to the AI opponent will help make it a bit more of a challenge. The AI in previous releases was not very good matching its objectives at the strategic level with its planning and fighting at the tactical level. Now the tactical level AI will be more focused on capturing or holding victory locations (ground) that helps it accomplish its strategic movement goals.

So does all this mean that road Victory Locations are more important to the AI than in previous titles.

I never really had a problem with the AI defending or attacking Victory Locations, because I use CCMT. AI works great, IMHO.

#4: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:27 pm
    —
Sounds great! I especially liked the part about mortars. The instant response of mortars in CC is generally quite annoying, and in mods where mortars are especially very powerful this tends to hinder any mobility instantly. I hope that the new mortar system works as they say.

#5: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:35 pm
    —
They didn't answer any of the questions i asked.....

#6: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: ScottPLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:04 pm
    —
schrecken wrote (View Post):
They didn't answer any of the questions i asked.....

I'm assuming you mean the community interview from the Wargamer? The one we just posted is more of a pointed developer interview, the community one is sure to follow Smile

#7: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:15 am
    —
I'm assuming you mean the community interview from the Wargamer? -ScottP

Since it seems you are on top of this, perhaps you wouldn't mind supplying answers to Schrecken's Wargamer questions here at CCS, in advance. If I remember correctly, I don't think they were very difficult questions.

The one we just posted is more of a pointed developer interview ... -ScottP

Yea, for some reason, it didn't seem to have a real inteview look and feel to it.  Question

#8: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:15 am
    —
GA date I thought was December but then I heard they were going to bump it up to this month?

Are the developers from Slitherine in the UK contributing their developers exclusively to production?  

Too late I'm sure for any major changes...but for the next release with new engine would like to see some feature of CC Mods incorporated such as the Grossdeutchland mod with 10 man AI infantry teams with aggressive tactics.  Or variable / unpredictable tactic such as ambush in strategic points, flanking maneuvers , mass assaults, etc.  The GD mod from CCIII was truly a masterpiece.

#9: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: tigercubLocation: charters towers PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:22 am
    —
PITF has some new things i like troops riding on tanks, some i dont!. small squads for one!

beta tester

Tiger

#10: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: zon PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:44 am
    —
How about some new screenshots?

#11: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:50 pm
    —
I am getting the feeling that this Game is going to do 'us' proud?

Expectations or hope can get squashed upon...

Funny how sometimes when you least expect 'stuff' you get delightfully surprised!

Question is... which one is this ?  

:|

#12: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:54 pm
    —
I guess what i was trying to 'say' is  I haven't bought any of the "ReDo" lastest versions of close combat... believe you me.. i wanted to but the feedback was a mite negative.  Glad i didn't.  Harsh to say, but true.

However, I am really wanting to Buy ! ANYthing at the moment.....  and this newest game's timing seems perfect.  Everyone old and new Close Combat players are primed and ripe and ready...  i think or at least hope so.

:)

God help us.  

:*}

#13: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:23 pm
    —
Just looked at those 'oldish' screenshots of P.intheFog !

I'm impressed.

Really like the bar at the top etc.

:D

#14: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:21 am
    —
Release date 19th of Nov. 2012 !  

:)

#15: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:03 pm
    —
Slitherine website says 12/31/2012

Pift

#16: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:48 pm
    —
platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Slitherine website says 12/31/2012

Pift

haha they saw your post and changed it Michael.

#17: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:42 pm
    —
NO no no

Release date on Slitherine's own website now says 19-NOV GA date...now we also have the cover art available - featuring Panther tank of course.

http://slitherine.com/games/cc_pitf

#18: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:30 pm
    —
Finnish Review of the game P in the F.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&from=&to=en&a=http%3a%2f%2fdome.fi%2fpelit%2farvostelut%2fclose-combat-panthers-in-the-fog-ennakko

2 Videos here too!

Enjoy.

#19: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:50 pm
    —
Thanks for the link MF_Church. I am going to buy it even if it includes all the frustrations of the previous releases. I noticed a new blown up tank graphic (turret sitting next to the hull), new explosion effects, the fog, new interface etc. Plenty of reasons for purchasing Wink  Or might the reason be that I am a hopeless collector of the series  Embarassed

#20: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:34 pm
    —
It will probably be received like most of the Matrix releases....

Some will be happy just a for a new CC with some changes while others will feel it shouldn't change or there isn't enough changes....

#21: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:33 pm
    —
I hope there will be some kind of an option to disable the fog. It strains the eyes a lot in my opinion.

#22: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:49 pm
    —
I think that will be modified with Old Mod of CC5;)

#23: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:19 am
    —
Thanks Pete and 'welcome' :)

And btw ! well said! @ your post!  

:D !

p.s. And Crackwise and tejszd also had great point(s).

#24: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:03 am
    —
MF_Church wrote (View Post):
Finnish Review of the game P in the F.

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/bv.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&from=&to=en&a=http%3a%2f%2fdome.fi%2fpelit%2farvostelut%2fclose-combat-panthers-in-the-fog-ennakko

2 Videos here too!

Enjoy.

Love the Fengrish translation

#25: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: RedLocation: Dans un monde merdique PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:14 am
    —
the AI is bad, why to continue the close combat serie? Shocked

#26: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: zon PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:01 am
    —
Great find, Church! Thanks.

The video quality makes it hard to judge for sure, but the fog, vehicle graphics and new explosion graphics are disappointing. Maybe some high-resolution media, or a demo, or a review in English, would help. I'm not a buyer yet.

#27: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Sapa PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:08 am
    —
mielestäni se on paljon paskaa täällä Mr Down Under Very Happy

Mats Cool

#28: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 11:45 am
    —
Thanks for the link Church,

I checked out the videos, and it definately looks like Close Combat.  Laughing

My problem, and I really hate this, is I just have never been able to get into the approach to forrested areas and the rock walls and other stuff that can trap or render useless units assigned to the AI. This hardly happens at all with CCM(T), CC4, and CC5 maps where even if an AI AT gun is deployed in the woods, it generally can get in a few ambush shots. It is such a pet peeve of mine, and now its becoming a curse.

I like the look of the UI, and I am glad they decided to put something other than a black background around the menu screens. For some reason, I thought the menus would expand to the the screen sizes this time, but looks like that doesn't happen.

The maps look nice, but so did the ones from LSA. But I just cant get into them, because of their size. It just must have something to do with the campaigns, where you might fight over an over on the same map, which I never do with CCMT.

Did I notice that the fog effect also fogged out the team displays and soldier monitors.  Question

Help  Exclamation , it seems I am stuck on CC4, CC5, and CCM maps. It's my own fault, but I cant seem to do anything about it.  Confused

#29: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 12:23 pm
    —
As always ,  Excellent Feedback from 'the' (our) community!

did i mention - Polite too!  :D

My personal view(s) based on 1 past record is that the $ price won't be cheap.  But by the updating and upgrading < what ever that will be; time and effort Was put into this newest and I do mean BRAND new Version of CLOSE COMBAT, and that can't be done... cheaply as folks here have witness over Years since the last brand spanking new CC game was published.

My life motto is this.  NEVER let loyalty and kindness, depart from 'me'.   That has come back to KISS me in the *cough* front, back, sides again and again!

Sticking to that has promoted me from last rung on the Job to top rung!  From being 4 days from quitting to getting plum jobs at work.  etc. etc. !  When everyone jumped ship (work) to go a rival company, I stayed and really... scraped the bottom and.. it ain't nice down there!  :P

But now... amazing how ~ God ~ turned everything right side Up!  

Anyways, I understand how the CC player out there loves to play solo against a. i.  Cuz, can be difficult finding a suitable opponent that is willing to share the joy of just playing ... and still being a great challenge and a good sport while losing Or winning.

IF a Dedicated Server to host 2 players is in the Mix that is even HALF the site 'THE ZONE' was... this could be Big for those who like online play.

O.K.  Enuf rant.  Smile    I just wanted to post a personal response like you all did .

Tks! again for the inputs!

Enjoy!  & hope to see you soon and maybe with the game next week!  Very Happy

#30: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:02 pm
    —
Stwa wrote (View Post):

My problem, and I really hate this, is I just have never been able to get into the approach to forrested areas and the rock walls and other stuff that can trap or render useless units assigned to the AI. This hardly happens at all with CCM(T), CC4, and CC5 maps where even if an AI AT gun is deployed in the woods, it generally can get in a few ambush shots. It is such a pet peeve of mine, and now its becoming a curse.

That does suck.
Add to that anytime a AT_Gun or Tank can't shoot over a wall or Bush.

#31: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:40 pm
    —
Red wrote (View Post):

Really the PitF IA is BAD??

That would be bad for all of us............

#32: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:51 am
    —

Add to that anytime a AT_Gun or Tank can't shoot over a wall or Bush.

Yeah, surely the gun crew would clear a few branches out of the way or knock a few bricks out of a wall to clear the LOS.

#33: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:36 pm
    —
I didn't mean for Pift,I know nothing about it.
I just meant CC in general.

#34: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:10 pm
    —
Speaking of ATguns...  in WW2Online game this morn'  my 6pdr. sneaked up to AT embarkment/sandbays/timber to peek at a Pz III H across the river.
It was behind a raised hill that runs along the river road.   Got a few shots off b4 the 5th one... hit the turret and blew it skyHigh.

Even despawned back into the supply list! while taking hits from another Axis player for 50pts!

It definitely started turning the tide for our recapture of that town. (Temse)  :D

Hey! btw. Folks can join WW2OL for free now... though the equipment one can get is limited.

Give it a try!  Love to see you guys try it out.

My ingame name is... wintons.  :D

http://www.battlegroundeurope.com/

#35: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:25 pm
    —
DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
Red wrote (View Post):

Really the PitF IA is BAD??

That would be bad for all of us............

Yes let's hope that Finnish "review" is wrong or got lost in translation.  That would be real bad if it is true the AI still sux or maybe even worse.   I just don't get how since the great CC2 back in the 90's...the AI manages to get steadily worse not better with each new CC release.

Also any Beta-Testers I thought were suppose to sign NDA before the official GA date.  So how can he post a "review" about Beta-Testing if he is not really suppose to even do that?

#36: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: mooxe PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:15 pm
    —
The main reason I think it keeps getting worse is the map size. The AI has always been very stupid, but condensing them all together on a small maps make them potent. Hows that saying go.... large numbers of stupid people can be very dangerous?

#37: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:10 am
    —
MOB

And the world is looking for someONE to take control of the mess.   Western society and europe at times can descend to a MobMoc[k]gracy*

The time is ripe... for a wolf in a innocent looking garb to grab control.

Scary times.  

Especially If most folks today have lost the courage to see 'themselves' as 'we' really are...  with a dark side, to our ~ Moderate, rein it side IN b4 someone else sees us at worst which can be at our tired times, our weak 'moments'...

Our wolf times.  Dictators were once like us... at least at the start...  Sure, they suffered or were abused.  However, not everyone gives in to That.  Some have suffered as much or more and still went on to be great individuals.....  :)

They learned to DEAL with 'it'.  Maybe if each one of us ... took stock and responsbility for their own 'evil' / dark side...  we would notice when a full fledged WOLF walked on the scene.  

:D

#38: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:12 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
The main reason I think it keeps getting worse is the map size. The AI has always been very stupid, but condensing them all together on a small maps make them potent. Hows that saying go.... large numbers of stupid people can be very dangerous?

It is too bad that I neglected the map size thread I started some time ago. I do want to finish it, because I wanted to make some points along the way that go to gaming with the AI.

I suppose, the heart of the AI code line was probably established pre CC4. There have been some improvements since then, and I have often wondered if the improvements were really within the AI code line or were they something else.

Alot of differences or factors within the various CC titles can enhance or detract from the overall performance of the AI. To me those factors are not limited to map size, deployment zones, visibility and obstruction, weapon ranges, pathfinding, movement rates, soldier morale, victory location placement, and time duration of the game or scenario.

CC4, CC5, WAR, TLD, and LSA, are all titles that through their immplentations of the factors enumerated above have over time continued to diminish the overall perfromance of the AI.

Even though the CC AI does not plan or coordinate the actions of its individual units, a game system (like CC3/COI/CCMT/CC2 Redux) can create an environment where this coordination is not so paramount. In so doing, games can still be very enjoyable from the Human Player's perspective.

#39: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:07 am
    —
I wish they had improved the AI. I mean it is the weakest part in any CC release so far but they seem not to improve the AI and focus on less important things. The lack of a decent AI just stops me from playing CC in singleplayer mode.

#40: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:56 pm
    —
CC4, CC5, WAR, TLD, and LSA, are all titles that through their immplentations of the factors enumerated above have over time continued to diminish the overall perfromance of the AI. -Stwa

Starting with CC4, and perhaps even CC3, me thinks the various developers of the CC titles, recognized that the future of CC rests in multiplayer gaming, and they applied resources accordingly.

Now, most of us know, that since CC4, multiplayer gaming has greatly diminished over time, leaving many players stuck with single player gaming.

Just recently, Matrix stated that sales of the CC titles were strong. (presumably COI, WAR, TLD, LSA). If true, and if single player gaming constitutes a much greater percentage of playing time than multiplayer, then one has to wonder how the gaming market really feels about CC single player gaming.

Nevertheless, PITF will take another shot at resurrecting multiplayer gaming, and perhaps such a resurrection will occur.

#41: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 pm
    —
Despite all my efforts to get the word out on the AI, and to try and help gamers improve their single player experiences, I must accept the fact that I have utterly failed in this regard.

Nevertheless, I continue to enjoy excellent tactical games against the AI, which is the good news for moi.

Consider the example provided in the pic.

There is only one victory location and the map is small but loaded with good cover. The deployment zones allow the AI to occupy most of the Northern part of the map. The AI does not have to expose its troops and can remain concealed. The game system forces soldiers to enter houses through the doors and windows. The forces are roughly equal in manpower and capabilites. There are no vehicles and the AI has several artillery, mortar, and air strikes, that kick in about 5 minutes into the game. Does your game system or mission editor allow for these provisions?

Translation, the HP is going to have a tough time just finding the AI soldiers, never mind flushing them out of the structures without any flamethrowers. Also, in my game there was no time limit. This was done to give the HP some chance of winning. If I set the time limit to 10 minutes (possible with CCMT), the HP would never win this scenario.

#42: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:14 am
    —
Now Slitherine on their website is claiming they have been sabotaged by fake negative reviews on a few websites and even went so far as posting a 2000 UK pounds reward for finding who did this.  Makes me wonder if the review on Finnish website is real or fake.

Although I just noticed the other review from Armchair General...which basically says the same thing and slams the AI gameplay.  Thus now we know the AI still is lame just like CC5 from 10 years ago.

#43: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: dj PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 12:29 am
    —
Maybe Slitherine / Matrix should hire TT, Dreaded88 or Pj to fix the horrible AI.

#44: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:04 am
    —
The AI is the second most frustrating element of the game. When on the offensive it is weak. It seems unable to co-ordinate attacks or even pursue any logically aggressive action. This means the human player on defense is almost certain to prevail unless horribly outnumbered or out-gunned. In those cases the AI merely swamps the defending player with superior combat power. On the defense, these problems with the AI are much less apparent. -Airchair General PITF Review

There is nothing new in this statement. More than likely the AI core code line developed long ago has probalby NOT changed as myself and others have speculated time and time again.

So, if you want to get any reasonable behavior out of the AI, the factors that I mentioned above (in previous posts), need to be tweeked, or you need a game system like COI or CCMT.

If you start messing with the combat abilities of the soldiers and vehicles, then you just have Vetmods. And Vetmods are really ZOMBIE mods, and therefore not very interesting, IMHO.

In those cases the AI merely swamps the defending player with superior combat power. -Airchair General PITF Review

Perhaps the reviewer is referring to ZOMBIE mods. If not, then it is a tad bit overstated, IMHO, as I don't think the AI needs to "swamp" the HP with superior forces in order to win. If anyone wants more information on Single Player modes of play, see pages 3 and 4 of this forum topic.  Arrow  

NOOBS Need Not Apply

#45: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:23 am
    —
Makes me wonder if the review on Finnish website is real or fake. -dj

Me too.  Exclamation

I also saw some of the "fake" reviews. They looked real to me. I mean the reviews. It was the language that they used that looked fake to some of the uppers at Matrix.  Laughing

But then again, all the reveiws come from cyberspace, so I suppose they ALL could be fake.  Confused

WTF  Exclamation  Maybe this thread is fake.  Exclamation  Laughing

#46: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:04 am
    —
I wonder if the AI will load up troops into vehicles and tow AT guns around.

#47: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm
    —
It couldn't do that in CCm or CCMT

I don't think any time has been spent on the AI only on UI (wasted)

Anyone have a torrent of this yet?

#48: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:54 pm
    —

Normally schrecken I wouldn't give you the correct time of day.
And ignore your posts as if someone along the line of Flamethrower had just posted.

But............
Seeing how all of a sudden you seem to be changing tunes from where you stood on CC for many,many years to now where you appear to stand in regards to CC and to even go as far as a "Torrent!"
I have to wonder................

Whats going on here?

Draws a HUGE RED FLAG in my mind.

To be honest with you I'm just not buying it.
I just don't see anyone changing face that quickly.

#49: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:00 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

I have checked this with CCMT replay many times in the past, and I have never seen the AI use this feature or the dig in feature.

So since, the MT in CCMT means modern tactics, they (Matrix), neglected to tell you that the AI will not attempt modern tactics (at least mount/dismount) during the games.

It was a pet peeve for Therion years ago. Not just mount/dismount, but his percieved absense of all things modern in CCMT form this issue, to ammo, etc.. etc..

For modern maps, I cut them to 25x25 and for WWII I cut them down to a maximum of 20x20. So in my games mountable vechiles still just represent heavy weapon platforms that can move.

#50: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:24 am
    —

But............
Seeing how all of a sudden you seem to be changing tunes from where you stood on CC for many,many years

Do you play CCIV or WaR?

#51: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:32 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

tried that last night, yup you may load a squad and tow an AT gun

#52: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 pm
    —
It couldn't do that in CCm or CCMT

I don't think any time has been spent on the AI only on UI (wasted)

I think you are wrong : the AI is not become an incredible opponent but there are changes in the AI units behaviour (more deployement in cover and buildings, coherent move even on the stratmap) so I think they have done more than changing the UI.
Just my opinion... Smile

#53: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:36 pm
    —
Nice to hear.....

#54: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:37 pm
    —
I wonder why the beta tester was disgruntled...

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=176&t=39288

#55: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:45 pm
    —
Quote:
Maximum map size is 40 x 40 mega tiles, or 120 x 120 tiles, or 7680 pixels x 7680 pixels.

Maximum number of maps the game can handle is 64.

The Strategic map image can be (within reason) pretty much as big as you want. It's a single image in CCIMages.pix.

While the old features from previous versions are not specifically supported, most of them will work. Static troops will not work.

Static troops is broken with new release... not just simply turned off.

#56: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:25 am
    —
Quote:
Maximum map size is 40 x 40 mega tiles, or 120 x 120 tiles, or 7680 pixels x 7680 pixels.

Maximum number of maps the game can handle is 64.

The Strategic map image can be (within reason) pretty much as big as you want. It's a single image in CCIMages.pix.

While the old features from previous versions are not specifically supported, most of them will work. Static troops will not work.

Static troops is broken with new release... not just simply turned off.

yes a pity, I had some ideas for the next Stalingrad.

#57: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:34 am
    —
Best to wait a bit, just play with things for now. Might be able to discover some other mod/unused features that don't work.

At least the developer/matrix admit at this point, the feature not used within the current game, is broken so it might get fixed in a patch....

#58: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:07 am
    —
Getting really annoyed having to scroll so much with the super zoomed in view now available.

Keep having to scroll just to target the enemy

Last edited by schrecken on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:43 am; edited 1 time in total

#59: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:42 am
    —
Really annoyed at the cookie cutter trees

#60: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:54 pm
    —
Really annoyed at the cookie cutter trees

As the vehicles are larger, I think that it is something the mapmaker had not predicted. The worse were the bridges but it has been improved in the release version of the game. If this game is modded, this is something that mapmakers will have to heed (to make all the passages by vehicles large enough!)

#61: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:16 pm
    —
You are right, and the woeful pathing.

tanks wont travel down roads bordered by trees or hedgerows

#62: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:15 am
    —
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3219205

What should include patch for CC PitF ?

First of all p a t h f i n d i n g !!!

I had column of 3 halftracks and 2 puma along field road (both sides were covered with hedges) . What my column did ? puma was moving around , 2 halftracks immediately went into hedges and were immobilized, after 3 minutes of chaos on straight road 2 halftracks were destroyed by mortar fire.

Even on wide roads tanks and other vehicles can't move straight from point A to B - they behave like ships avoiding torpedoes zig zag .

Years of developing CC ....

#63: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: mooxe PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:19 pm
    —
Once again... we have a re-release with some awesome features added just like Matrix did. But they didnt fix critical things like pathfinding.... AI is still a problem.... only one way to establish a multiplayer connection...

I feel like over the years some people thought I was being over critical, flame baiting, trolling. Maybe that was the case.. sometimes.

I do firmly believe that Close Combat has not advanced how it should have at the hands of Matrix/Slitherine.

Atomic left us at CC5. That I thought was a pretty good ending to an excellent series of games. With all its bugs it was an advancement none the less. What we've had since then are bad attempts, pushed out the door overnight products and a mish mash of all the things we wanted spread across six different releases.

Atomic had a passion for the game. Now the brand is being milked for everything.

#64: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:23 pm
    —
AMEN! Cool

#65: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:17 am
    —
Agree. I was hopeful I must say with TLD and LSA, but PitF is not it at all. It has been rushed before the Xmas sales, understandably, but at the cost of crippling day-1 bugs, and with critical features removed, for players as well for modders. And it now it has an official doomsday clock ticking: when will the software lobby lose its support/maintenance so that multiplayer PitF will be killed. The clock is counting...

The time has finally come that the CC community must receive the source code of the game, and get things right, based on playability and moddability, and not based on sales figures and short-term thinking.

#66: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:14 pm
    —
Don't think i've heard such a 'Death Null' sounding so plain & simple as those above.

And i can't seem to be any thing but...  in agreement.

Or..  ?  Maybe pathfinding isn't even possible???

Or is the game  meant to be played 'micro-managed' and 'multi/-micro/managed playerS wise.

:*( @ a weak to nill future to slitherine's DEADaCated Server???!

Did i just hear another death null ?

* SORRY for the above post.  Had hopes.  Hoped to buy something that ain't broke.  

If it isn't broke, don't fix it.

If it isn't fixable, don't ~ try?

What's the PHASE i'm trying to go for here?

:\  Alot of years under the ... bridge.  Almost 2013...  Which makes it what since The Gaming Zone?

#67: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: TrogerLocation: L4W's place, Australia PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:14 am
    —
I'm not surprised to hear the AI doesn't think/act like a human but come on, the pathfinding is STILL not fixed? How can they release a fourth game for another $50 and not have that fixed? All that money for what? 32-bit graphics? Rolling Eyes The people behind these releases should be ashamed.

Last edited by Troger on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

#68: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: __Creeper__ PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:27 pm
    —
I feel like I've been shouting this since the beginning of time and nobody has listened to me.

The following text is the simplest solution to all our Pathing Woes.

================================================
We need not  "FIX" the pathing code. Just "REMOVE IT" all together pleeeease.

Honestly it's not needed, It's the appendix, the tonsils. They keep trying to fix it, just CUT IT OUT.

I've owned and enjoyed an awesome and little known game called "Panzer front" (a Japanese release ) which shares some striking similarities with Close Combat and had a cult following for years, (just like close combat)

In that game you give move orders to your tanks. They do not choose a path, they simply move along the waypoint until they hit an obstacle, then continue to Spin Their Wheels until you order them to back up.
====================================================

In this game we only control around 4-8 tanks/vehicles in a battle, and we move them little. It's not Command and Conquer. We don't need vehicle pathing code. There should be NO CODE for a vehicle to decide it's path around any object in this game.

I was even gonna buy it. Just discussing it with a friend. But this I hear about "One way to connect?"

#69: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: dj PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:53 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Once again... we have a re-release with some awesome features added just like Matrix did. But they didnt fix critical things like pathfinding.... AI is still a problem.... only one way to establish a multiplayer connection...

I feel like over the years some people thought I was being over critical, flame baiting, trolling. Maybe that was the case.. sometimes.

I do firmly believe that Close Combat has not advanced how it should have at the hands of Matrix/Slitherine.

Atomic left us at CC5. That I thought was a pretty good ending to an excellent series of games. With all its bugs it was an advancement none the less. What we've had since then are bad attempts, pushed out the door overnight products and a mish mash of all the things we wanted spread across six different releases.

Atomic had a passion for the game. Now the brand is being milked for everything.

Yes I think the only people that truly knew how to fix the AI and patching, was Atomic.  When Atomic was acquired it went all downhill and fast.

If I'm not mistaken, one of the main reasons why the quality of gameplay has gotten worse instead of better is that when Atomic stopped development, the Source Code was either missing or lost.  

What annoys me the most is how some of the original games like CC2 going way back in the day...still are far better than these newer releases.

I agree it would have been better to fix the core parts of the game , instead of focusing efforts on bells, whistles and eye candy.

#70: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: __Creeper__ PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:53 pm
    —
I have a real craving to get back into this game. Just be straight with me guys. Is there going to be a good mod for the release? One that makes better use of the 21 team slots.

#71: Re: Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog Developer Interview! Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:18 am
    —
Probably take a year  for the first major mod to appear.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1