The game was released today
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

#1: The game was released today Author: Sapa PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:20 pm
    —
http://www.matrixgames.com/store/433/Close.Combat:.Panthers.in.the.Fog

#2: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:35 pm
    —
•Enjoy the huge variety of modifications available from the Close Combat Community providing years of additional gaming pleasure.

#3: Re: The game was released today Author: Sapa PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:20 pm
    —
Rolling Eyes

#4: Re: The game was released today Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:30 pm
    —
Purchased and downloading. First one on this forum?  Twisted Evil

#5: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:00 pm
    —
I bought it and I am also downloading. Actually this is the only CC game I have ever purchased after CC5. Let's hope it will not be very disappointing. (I am already sure that it will be disappointing to some extent Very Happy)

#6: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:48 pm
    —
Guys, please povide some insight into the "Slitherine’s integrated lobby system".

#7: Re: The game was released today Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:55 pm
    —
Hi!

First impressions???

#8: Re: The game was released today Author: Cathartes PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:31 pm
    —
PHP:
Guysplease povide some insight into the "Slitherine’s integrated lobby system"  

Can use your same login as your Slitherine forum login.  Can only play h2h here.  Easy enough to figure out.

#9: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:38 pm
    —
How do you access it? Is it in game or 3rd party? How many players are on it? Are there firewall issues?

#10: Re: The game was released today Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 pm
    —
For the Slitherine lobby system a user account is required. After registration it turns out that old messages of more than a month ago are still being displayed. Apparently they were posted by the (beta) test team. From the screen it does not become apparent straight away what I am supposed to do to hook up to another player. Must admit that I have not read the manual first Wink  
The new unit selection method is interesting. You get to choose from complete companies. Must check the manual fot that too.
Weapons names are not displayed and the player has to go by the little weapons icons to find out what weapons are available to a unit.
On towards the game: foggy map, graphics feel different, then after a couple of minutes the game crashes when I try to move around the "team monitor' panel.
Restarting game now.

#11: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:11 pm
    —
Couldn't find andybody online on the lobby yet to test the game. But I seem to have found a little bug. I click on a reply on the posts section, then when I click the answer which appears in the box below the game gives this error: "Close Combat encountered an internal error at address 0x0 and will now exit. Game Version 2012.11.6.1" It doesn't affect anything, actually there is no purpose on clicking in the box below I suppose, but still it's kind of strange.

Anyone else having noticed this?

#12: Re: The game was released today Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 pm
    —
Maps are gorgeous. The detail in the roofs is amazing. Hats off to the map maker!
New interface is also a welcome change.
There are some minor 'bugs' in the graphical department though but I am not going to make an effort out of finding and listing them all.
It is just another version of the series. Feels like I have been playing it for the past 15 years or so   Smile

#13: Re: The game was released today Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:13 am
    —
Hi Pete,

Can you tell us more about the UI.

Is it still 800x600, or does it expand at all.

I noticed there is a background underneath the UI. Does it expand to your monitor dimensions. (i.e. widescreen)

#14: Re: The game was released today Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:41 am
    —
$40 USD pretty steep...unless is it really better than the last ones?  Maybe AI is yet again worse...but there are some graphics improvements?

#15: Re: The game was released today Author: southern_land PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:40 am
    —
Pete wrote (View Post):
Maps are gorgeous.

thanks Very Happy

Pete wrote (View Post):
The detail in the roofs is amazing. Hats off to the map maker!

388 seperate and distinct buildings not including colour/tile alterations and building amalgamations.

#16: Re: The game was released today Author: papa_whisky PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:24 am
    —
I wonder if the AI will mount vehicles appropriately and what is more dismount when they should.

#17: Re: The game was released today Author: arkturasLocation: United Kingdom PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:15 am
    —
Just kicked off the download!, looking forward to getting stuck in later this evening.

#18: Re: The game was released today Author: ManoiLocation: Brussels PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:24 am
    —
papa_whisky wrote (View Post):
I wonder if the AI will mount vehicles appropriately and what is more dismount when they should.

I have not seen yet the AI using these features. I have personally not used them exaggeratedly as it is always difficult to reposition a gun in the battle; this feature is interesting but put a dilemma : is it better to sacrifice a fighting unit emplacement for a truck or is it better to keep it for an extra support unit? The sdkfz 251/1 is an exception as it is both a transport and fighting unit.

#19: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:54 pm
    —
I will see about having the game added to GameRanger.

#20: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:18 pm
    —
Did some quick single player messing around. First impression:

+ Great looking maps, buildings look especially great. They are easily entered and exited as CC5. Entering and exiting the buildings from windows which was present in TLD seems not to be implemented. (Although it may have been perhaps more realistic, preventing quick "supress and rush" tactics.)

+ Mounting units and towing guns could be useful in various situations.

+ AI deploys more logically and is more agressive. Performs well in small maps when it defends.

+ New UI is fine, easy to use. I could follow the single soldier's situation better in the old UI though, but still I think it's more about getting used to it.

- AI still can not perform a well coordinated overall assault. Weak in offensive. When under fire, it doesn't retreat his units out of LOS. (As a human opponent would.) They just remain until they die in a building for example. It still performs no flushing-out-fire to possible enemy positions. (Although this would be hard to implement I suppose.)

- Tracers are very hard to notice. I especially have difficulty noticing the American tracers. (It would be nice if they became generally more apparent. And perhaps more apparent at night and less at day time battles.)

- It's a minor thing but It would be cool if trees didn't have shadows at night time. I suppose they are painted on the map, the game doesn't seem to vary them according to time of day.

- I haven't noticed the AI to mount units or tow guns so far.

- Units mount and dismount instantly, it would be more realistic if they entered one by one. (Again this might be a decision similar to the easy-entrance-buildings.)

- Germans seem to have 4 or 5 men teams mostly and Americans 5 or 6. This is a bit different from the GJS 7 men assault, 3 men mg teams. But it is fine when u get used to it I think.

Overall, I liked it a lot. I haven't played multiplayer or the GC yet, but I think finally Close Combat has reached its maximum in 2-D in terms of visuals and it doesn't look like a game out of the last century anymore. : ) Of course, I find the prices of all the Matrix games too high though. If they only reduced the prices to around 25 USD I would buy more games from them.

Cheers,

Pzt_Crackwise

#21: Re: The game was released today Author: PeteLocation: Nijmegen, Netherlands PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:30 pm
    —
Back from work and off to another round of games:
Visually it is definitely more appealing than the previous games. Worth noting is that also the rubble graphics have been redone and improved.
About gameplay: well, I like it better than LSA for some reason. An improvement is the aiming time for mortars (20 second countdown) . Once a target has been identified it can switch back to it instantly. On the large maps it can be difficult to win a battle within the minimum time of 15 minutes. Infantry survivability is low and considering the small size of especially the German teams you start avoiding unnecessary risks quickly.
About the pathing: the last battle that I played I commanded 3 tanks to move across the map, without waypoints and they moved along the road nicely. No micromanagement required.
Other tanks were commanded across rougher terrain and that worked well too. The AI is not as clever though.
The game menu screens still seem to be 800x600 but it expands to the edge of the screen with a background image. Game resolution was automatically set to match screen resolution. In my case 1680x1050 and it works well for me.

All in all I would like to thank the developer team for another great episode of this series! You guys serve us addicts well.

My main reason for purchasing the game so quickly was to determine if this game should be the preferred platform for the Rhineland mod. I reckon Buck and I won't have to think very hard about that.
No more updates from me for the time being. I will be spending the next couple of weeks mostly on finishing the Ortona mod .

#22: Re: The game was released today Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:18 pm
    —
Agree Pete;)

Now have to wait for the tools Wink  Wink

#23: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_XLegioneLocation: Milano, Italy PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 11:03 pm
    —
Hello mates, this evening I played my first multiplayers game vs Pzt_Crackwise.

The lobby is integrated and it works well, we didn't have any problem to set up the connection and we didn't have firewall or router issues.
We had just some lag problem probably due to Crackwise's connection.

In the lobby there is public chat room and a match making forum useful tools for finding players and to discuss about the game.

Concerning the game, the first impression is positive but I don't want to write any comment, it is too early, I played just 1 battle.

Last but not the least, this game needs a modern computer the cooling fan of my lap top worked a lot during the battle!

Ciao

Pzt_XLegione

#24: Re: The game was released today Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:05 am
    —
dj wrote (View Post):
$40 USD pretty steep...unless is it really better than the last ones?  Maybe AI is yet again worse...but there are some graphics improvements?

The AI is actually not that bad. Mortars especially. Use them to effectively target infantry/vehicles whenever they spot you.

One will notice that the new mortars are somewhat like "spotters" from mods that have been created with delayed timing before they fire added in also.

#25: Re: The game was released today Author: southern_land PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:09 am
    —
Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
. When under fire, it doesn't retreat his units out of LOS. (As a human opponent would.) Pzt_Crackwise

try running an AI sherman up against your panther and they do now try to retreat, same with the lighter armour

#26: Re: The game was released today Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:55 am
    —
+ The new explosions are great
+ The mortars are the best I've seen yet, the aiming timer is a good idea
+ Infantry in vehicles is good for large maps, sending a scout car off on its own is less risky now
+ I like the new force pool selection, it limits your BG a bit, but not as much as CC4 and it stops the mixed SS, Heer, FJ BGs of CC3. Difficulty settings effects # of unts allowed which is good
+ The maps of course! Although as a personal preference I like the small CC3 / CC4 maps for faster battles.
+ Stacking units on the strat map
+ Interdiction on the strat map - a new feature

- Much the same AI. It doesn't attack well. Only play vs the computer when you are attacker.
- The force pools can be a bit vanilla, too many of the same unit, not enough variety especially Panther A tanks. This was done for historical accuracy, but the game's variety suffers
- The maps can look too similar. If you hate Normandy hedges, this will bother you. But it's a function of the battle area, no beaches or major rivers for different maps
- There is still some poor pathfinding, mostly vehicles on bridges and tight roads. Map coding has to be spot on.

All up I am enjoying the battles, vs AI only. Most of the "faults" are the same old CC faults. Not attacking, vehicles wandering, no tank sounds and I've just got used to them over ther years.

#27: Re: The game was released today Author: bexx76 PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:12 pm
    —
hi all, im downloading the game now Smile
about the troops entering the vehicles i think that to dismount a trained team will do it very fast, the first things that a mechanized infantry team learn is to dismount and take position quickly.
AIFV are designed to permit troops to follow advancing tanks in a barrage or under SAF, then 1 time they dismount to support them with heavy weapons or ingage enemy AIFV that suppress friendly troops.
from now i will for sure equip my assault teams with AIFV IOT gain advantage from holes in enemy defence with fast advance!
close combat is now entering a new era Smile
5 min, to finish download......

#28: Re: The game was released today Author: TTorpedoLocation: Portugal PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:19 pm
    —
41.81€ for a digital download, makes it hard to justify  Shocked
So keep the comments coming. Where are the scrennies and play movies. AAR!

#29: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:33 pm
    —
Holding off as well due to price.

#30: Re: The game was released today Author: slipper PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:45 pm
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Me to. Also going on the first impressions here it does not appear that the AI has changed drastically if at all, as i only play offline this is a massive dissapointment to me.

I must admit that since CC first appeared, probably the most requested upgrade has been for an improvement for the AI. Consequently this happens to be the one upgrade the developers refuse to implement, instead giving further little things like graphical improvements and towable guns. Whilst these are welcome, i really wish someone would finally address the AI issue.

regards

slipper

#31: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:07 pm
    —
Anyone playing the grand campaign or an operation, how is the supposed tracking of every soldier's history working? how are replecements implemented?

#32: Re: The game was released today Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:04 pm
    —
Tanks won't drive down roads bordered by Large hedgerpws.

They will head for a wide open field instead.

this requires them to climb the hedgrow and often lose a track.

it may be the maps coding in PitF but patfinding seemed better in LSA

Purple is expected path
Red is path taken

#33: Re: The game was released today Author: schreckenLocation: Sydney, Australia PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:27 pm
    —
Seems avenues of trees has similar effect

#34: Re: The game was released today Author: dj PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:12 am
    —
slipper wrote (View Post):
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Me to. Also going on the first impressions here it does not appear that the AI has changed drastically if at all, as i only play offline this is a massive dissapointment to me.

I must admit that since CC first appeared, probably the most requested upgrade has been for an improvement for the AI. Consequently this happens to be the one upgrade the developers refuse to implement, instead giving further little things like graphical improvements and towable guns. Whilst these are welcome, i really wish someone would finally address the AI issue.

regards

slipper

Ditto...me thrice.  Is that proper English?

In any event, I am not going to pay premium price for basically no improvement to AI, with the same negative review about wandering tanks, AI incapable of any type of organized attack.

We keep telling Matrix and now Slitherine...yet they keep ignoring us.  So many mods from TT, Sapa, Dreaded88, Pj with kick-ass AI ....you would think some of the big bosses would learn how to implement what these guys did for free.

#35: Re: The game was released today Author: lamurt PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 7:52 am
    —
samo - i learned my lesson with lsa the hard way honestly... by the sound of it looks like another maps dlc, and a payware one at that with rather sleazy pricing.

#36: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_XLegioneLocation: Milano, Italy PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:32 pm
    —
For my point of view, the real game is versus human opponent, playing a game vs AI is not fun at all.

This game is an evolution of the previous series, (I don't list what is changed, everybody knows it), I agree with you that the price is high nevertheless I know that is a niche game, in other words Slitherine and Matrix develop and produce something for a small market.
That means high cost for the manufacturer and high price for the end user.

I appreciate their efforts otherwise the best game dedicated to strategic and tactic WW II fighting wouldn't be anymore on the market.

About the pathfinding I'm pretty sure that they will fix it as done for the previous games.

I think positive.

Take care, ciao

Pzt_XLegione

#37: Re: The game was released today Author: Stwa PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:10 pm
    —
Since CC4 for sure and maybe even CC3, users have whined about the pathfinding.

And everytime the users whine, the developers claim pathfinding has been improved.

It's been going on for over a decade.

#38: Re: The game was released today Author: bexx76 PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 10:35 pm
    —
hi all. DONT BUY THIS SHIT.
i think closecombat is a very good game to play vs human players.
no AI can gives u the same experience of a battle vs a human.
today i tried to use the MULTIPLAYER, i found no way to play game in direct connection, u are ablliged to join or host using the integrated multiplayer of PHANTER IN THE FOG
the game lag and crash,.
so wait for a good patch that allow u to play vs humans.
thats all.

#39: Re: The game was released today Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:23 pm
    —
Hell oh Hell

- Lobby isnt the better lobby i seen so far for a CC game. Not clear. And it's buged.
Yes in some way you may v got a frozn screen or simply a crash.
-Some crash appear when u receving data ( when u are joiner)
And what the hell about this damned CPU performance?! I always receave warning about it while i'm playing.
Unbeleavable!!!
-The game is nice, once you delete the white of the fog.
This fog look like truelly as a thing pasted on the map to hide something. But what?
- In stand alone, the game is great ( except this fog huhu) runing nice, properly. No crash... Very nice.
- Once you entering the multiplayer the hell begin.
All game are laged. Very laged. So very laged than i saw a 15 game timer finished 65 minuts later...
Is it fun to play a game like that?
CC5, before the first 5.01patch was runing better than this Pitf.
I hope to see quickly a patch fixed the lag problem. Because this is unplayable!

I stop now to play and move back to my hole...

All this for that?!

#40: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_CrackwiseLocation: Switzerland PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:30 pm
    —
Ok, brothers from CCS please listen carefully. After trying several times playing with different players both hosting and joining, I can tell these things about the multiplayer aspect of Panthers in the Fog so far:

-The multiplayer part of  the game is very problematic at the moment. I think that it's not even finished. The game is so laggy, it is unbelievable. I haven't had such consistent lag ever. And I don't think it is because of my connection, but some other people I have talked with have also experienced the same thing with their games with other players. It may be due to the lobby server's crappines or some optimization problems of the game.

- Similarly, data transfer speed is very low, it takes too much time downloading data from the opponent.

-The game does not exceed 50% CPU usage in single player mode. In multiplayer, it exceeds 90% and my fan is running like a jet engine! You can see the screenshot below:

- I generally think the fonts used in the game don't look good. I don't know but they just don't get along with the game's visuals. CC5 had better fonts.

- Another thing I have experienced is that the talks you make in the chat screen appear on the strategical maps. Also on the top left corner text is squashed and is unreadable. I don't know if it is an issue about my screen resolution, but regardless it looks very amateurish. The screenshot can be seen below:

So summarizing, this game runs relatively ok and looks fine in single player to some extent, but the multiplayer is downright unfinished and it is again a sly attempt of Matrix/Slytherine to milk the cow as the christmas approaches. These issues need to be fixed with a patch as soon as possible, otherwise there is no point in playing this game.

#41: Re: The game was released today Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:22 am
    —
Very dissapointed to read that the 'static troop' feature from LSA, has already been dropped from PitF. Why can't PitF be the best CC with the biggest and best toolkit for modders?

I posted the wish that the community can receive the source code of CC after PitF is done with.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3217212

Perhaps someone can start up a real topic/petition on that matter, or do it via political ways, after Slitherine/Matrix have cashed out on this game, which they are entitled to. The CC community in it turn, is entitled to that one last gesture of respect. But let's wait and see what happens with this game first.

#42: Re: The game was released today Author: kwenistonLocation: Netherlands PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:45 am
    —
Like Mooxe, I'm also very dissapointed, and moreover, worried, that the game now completely relies on a software lobby. This means that we WILL lose PitF multiplayer at some point in the future. Modders, hold your horses.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3218893

#43: DOA Author: Pzt_WruffLocation: Pzt Befehl Hauptsitz PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:23 pm
    —
Reading all of your reviews here and on other forums it sounds like this game is dead on arrival. Especially troubling is the exclusive software lobby, the apparent inherent headaches in its design and performance, and the elimination of any other options to connect. As has already mentioned this amounts to a doomsday clock for pitf.

#44: Re: The game was released today Author: ZAPPI4Location: Belgium Liege PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:03 pm
    —
After trying to finish an operation ...

- Air strike crashed the game twice
- I'm about the end of the operation, it sill only 1 allied Bg on strat map and games crash during deployment.
I did a whole operation to be unable to finish it...
- See some AT gun going mad and turning their self with no end. 2 Tanks were approching but los was broken.
- About Los, woaw, sometime a see a tank getting 300ms trought hedge, tree and weird and stil able to firing the target.
I see some tanks unable to firing the enemy tank while this one firing easily.
- Trying to use the artyllerie support to stop enemy bg who wanted to move out a map during the strat and, well
the bg moved like nothing happened.
- IA well, this game is defently not a game to play in stand alone. The IA = nothing. A poor cow boy without any horse.
It dont attack. When it risk to attack and get stoped, trooper killed it just bring some new attacker on the same point
by the same way.
- Supply, well i played 6 battle on some maps were enemy was out of supply after the first battle and still get their tanks moving
all around the map...

The game may be a good game.
But it's not.
Too many bug, too many too many bug...
And paying this price for that is simply something like fraud about everyone who will pay for it.
We are around 1 week after the release of the game and no patch coming to fix multiplayer problems.
And no reply on sitherline forum about this problem except something like " Be patient it will be improved" ( they just forgot to say " when we will reach the 10000 game sold") !!
Shame on who support this fraud!!!

#45: Re: The game was released today Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:43 am
    —
Love the new explosion effects! Wow! Great work!
I don't really see the 32 bit graphics to be much of an upgrade...maps in 16 bit were fine and detailed enough in previous versions.
Trees look great...but IMO too large and distracts from gameplay (sure they can be turned off...but...).

BTW, with the 32 bit graphics upgrade...why are the menu screens (BG, Soldier, Stratmap etc) still not stretched full screen and locked at 800x600 res???  I hate having to squint hard to enjoy rank details, unit graphics, weapon art etc!!

Please devs bring back weapon name details in the soldier screens!!!

The sounds are too basic...weapons sounds are fine (stock stuff from previous versions)...background battle noise are almost non existent.  Good thing we can mod the soundfiles with the old tools.

The fog...arrrghhh...get rid of it! I kept getting urges to wipe my screen clean when this sophisticated brand new effect blankets the battlefield  Smile

I like the BG setup with more realistic OOB&TOE...but might cause probs with fun gameplay.

Minor nitpicky things in the graphics...some new rank graphics but Panzer crews are still depicted wearing infantry collar tabs  Laughing  Haven't checked what the devs assigned for Assault Gun crew rank graphics.

Well...at least PitF resparked my interest in CC after long months of CC burnout and denial  Very Happy

#46: Re: The game was released today Author: DAK_Legion PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:25 am
    —
Wow!

squadleader returns!

I'm glad to see you comrade!

#47: Re: The game was released today Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:05 am
    —
DAK_Legion wrote (View Post):
Wow!

squadleader returns!

I'm glad to see you comrade!

Glad to be back, DAK_Legion!
And Minimods still rulez!  Smile

#48: Re: The game was released today Author: AT_Stalky PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:10 am
    —
Squad.  Very Happy

#49: Re: The game was released today Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:40 am
    —
AT_Stalky wrote (View Post):
Squad.  Very Happy

Hiya, Stalky  Very Happy

Some more notes:
I don't like the new interface for the Battle Screens (gamegadg)...needs unneccessary getting used to and I tend to automatically scan the now missing info bar at the bottom of the screen...now we have to scan left or right for the squad icons.

Some questions about the interface screens changes:
- BG Screen, once again...please bring back weapons names/info...weapon icons only with no pop up info? Why???
- Why are BGUnit pics (team/squad info) now missing from the Soldiers screen?  It's harder to keep tracks of individual teams...the soldiers and stat are there...but no info on what type of unit/squad/team they are.  Sure you can tell the units apart by memorizing the tiny BGunit/team icons at the bottom of the screen...but why delete the team info at the top of the screen?  This simple feature worked well all these years in previous CC version.

Oh...did I say I love the explosion effects  Laughing

#50: Re: The game was released today Author: ronsonLocation: England PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:58 pm
    —
Think I'll hold fire on buying this....

Going by the previous posts, its looking more like PLAYERS in the fog at the moment! Shocked

I guess I'll have to hope its like that old song...."Things can only get better"

Cheers

#51: Re: The game was released today Author: Von MansteinLocation: Santander (Spain) PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:32 pm
    —
ZAPPI4 wrote (View Post):
Hell oh Hell

Once you entering the multiplayer the hell begin.
All game are laged. Very laged. So very laged than i saw a 15 game timer finished 65 minuts later...
Is it fun to play a game like that?
CC5, before the first 5.01patch was runing better than this Pitf.
I hope to see quickly a patch fixed the lag problem. Because this is unplayable!

That´s true. I agree Crying or Very sad

#52: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:00 pm
    —
I am enoying reading peoples reactions here and over at Matrix. Thanks guys!

haha...

#53: Re: The game was released today Author: MF_Church PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:17 pm
    —
Sooooooooooo  ~~~~~~~

The best thing about this game is the FORUM!  

Oh.. and the EXPLOSions   Smile

#54: Re: The game was released today Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:34 am
    —
MF_Church wrote (View Post):
Sooooooooooo  ~~~~~~~

The best thing about this game is the FORUM!  

Oh.. and the EXPLOSions   Smile

...as long as the creepy 32 bit FOG doesn't obscure the 32 bit explosions!  Wink

#55: Re: The game was released today Author: lamurt PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:50 am
    —
i knew matrix was ran by "special" folks but the port forwarding on a household router is a so über hard technical blackmagik that no matrix customer is expected to do it properly before blowing up their ovens... attitude is surely at an entirely new level of enlightenment.

#56: Re: The game was released today Author: pvt_GruntLocation: Melbourne, Australia PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:55 pm
    —
They (Matrix) do have a point, many (most?) new games are played through a developer lobby of some sort, steam or whatever. I seems to be the way the industry is going rightly or wrongly.
I prefer the old fashioned way of looking after it myself, but then I'm a gaming brontosaurus. The industry is being dumbed down for general use.

If you look at the IT industry in general there is a definate move away from users have any control of files, folders, comms in general. Use an ipad and you'll see what I mean. Try modding an ipad app!

#57: Re: The game was released today Author: salhexe PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:03 pm
    —
I see that has been implemented the ability to have the time & morale hidden moral, as I use doing in my vetmod.

Where are the arrows that allow you to scroll through the unit? or is there another way to do it?

t&m.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  22.79 KB
 Viewed:  411 Time(s)

t&m.jpg

vist.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  145.11 KB
 Viewed:  552 Time(s)

vist.jpg

#58: Re: The game was released today Author: squadleader_idLocation: Soerabaja PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:29 pm
    —
The arrow to scroll through units is gone  Crying or Very sad
More importantly...the all important unit info (and enlarged unit art) at the top left is also gone!  Evil or Very Mad

#59: Re: The game was released today Author: ScottPLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:51 pm
    —
Hi gents,

If anyone is having trouble with errors while playing an existing campaign, we released a hotfix:

http://www.slitherine.com/news/item536

We're also looking to address the MP issues in a larger patch to solve issues some are having as well.

#60: Re: The game was released today Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:00 pm
    —
I have played fairly extensively against the AI as the Wehrmacht and as many have said there are a number of very frustrating problems with the game. Overall I think it is fantastic. The explosions are awesome as well as the map graphics. I seem to remember that the 76 mm gun could take out a Panther through the front, and so far the only way I have lost any is when the Panther made one of those annoying turns around an invisible object thus exposing the flank and any that are immobilized as there is really no time to repair a disabled tank. I do know that most of the game systems do not give enough armor protection to the Panther as the effective armor with slope is well over 200 mm with some consideration taken into the shot traps which made the change to the turret of the G model necessary. As far as how aggressive the AI is I have had a number of occasions where I barely pulled out of what could have been a disaster for me except for my Panthers with few in number and being well placed were able to take out the vastly more numerous US tank forces attacking. What would be more interesting is if the forces could find a way around to make a flank attack but unfortunately I haven't seen that happen much. This last time I played my PzIVs took a beating from a number of Shermans and were barely able to hold their own. Someone some time back was asking for more of a challenge. Well, I have been playing exclusively for some time now with setting up my forces without looking at the force pool of the enemy forces. It is a little harder to decide what I need out of the limited number of slots to fill when I only know if the force is an armor unit or combined arms, etc. And as far as the price goes about any new game is going to cost $40-$50 at issue. I think of it as money well spent for having a great game such as Close Combat.

It is great checking on the forum every day to see what everyone is saying and since joining in December I look forward to checking out this site.

A totally addicted Close Combat fanatic.

#61: Re: The game was released today Author: platoon_michaelLocation: Right behind you PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:54 am
    —
What’s New..............

(From the Manual)

For those familiar with the Close Combat series of games, you will notice some significant
changes to the look and feel of this release!

»» The game’s graphics have been modernized, and take
greater advantage of video hardware for better performance,
as well as using full 32-bit color graphics.

»» The User Interface has been extensively redesigned to give the game an all-new
look and feel, while still retaining the core strengths of the Close Combat series.

»» The new Multi-player lobby, match-making forum, and connection system
makes finding opponents easier and allows you to play online without
having to manage incoming connections through your firewall or router.

»» The new Battle Group system simplifies the way you select
units while presenting a more realistic representation
of the historical military units involved.

»» The game now tracks and saves the statistics of every soldier in
a Battle Group. A team’s experience and victories are no longer
lost if you return a team to the Battle Group’s Force Pool.

»» The Strategic Layer now has an animated play-back of the main
events of each strategic turn, letting you see what happened,
as it happened. The new Strategic Message Monitor lets
you review these events and focus on their location.

»» Strategic High Ground adds a new wrinkle to spotting
enemy Battle Groups on the strategic map, letting the side
controlling the high ground see and spot farther.

»» Strategic air and artillery interdiction allow you to use strategic support assets
to try and prevent enemy Battle Groups from moving on the Strategic Map.

»» At the tactical level, you can transport infantry or mount guns on vehicles.

»» Tactical use of mortars has been changed to make their
response time and targeting more realistic.

#62: Re: The game was released today Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:16 am
    —
also:
- turrets have their own shadows
-vehicle crews flee their abandoned vehicle (when hit), to try and live another day ... instead of hiding close by the wreck.

#63: Re: The game was released today Author: Schmal_Turm PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:50 pm
    —
Many people have complained about the AI not being very aggressive. I tend to agree with them on that. However, I have noticed that when I am a little reluctant to take a chance on getting one of my panzers destroyed by getting too aggressive myself I find that I can expect the AI to make the enemy tanks move out of their hidden positions thus exposing them to my first shot and a likely kill. If the tank had remained in place I might had lost one of my tanks instead. So as far as the AI being not aggressive enough, it all depends on your point of view.

I have also noticed that in order for me to get a tank to turn so the front is in the line of fire I need to get the tank to actually move, otherwise they just tend to turn the turret. The older versions of CC used to turn the entire tank before they fired the first shot which could be a life or death decision which I can't even imagine was a wise move when you are in a fire fight. One thing I did find out though with the older versions CC was that if you missed with the first shot of an AT gun you most likely would not get another chance.

#64: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:50 pm
    —
I played this today for the first time.

First impression..

1. The fog effect is ridiculous. Its basically a filter placed over the map. There is some texture to it and as you scroll around the map you can see how the filter is applied to your screen and not the map. How do I turn this off again?

2. The flare effect improved. Its now not a perfect circle of light. The edges transition better. I find it a mostly useless effect though. You may or may not see a unit for a short amount of time.

3. The team monitor has been moved from the bottom to the upper left. I can't see the reasoning behind it. You can drag it to the right of the screen which couple it with the team monitor and game messages.

4. Tracers move quicker, which seems better. However, clicking on a unit and seeing the indication on which waypoint its going to is hard to tell now. The indicator flashes by as fast as a tracer.

5. Vehicle and map 32bit graphics upgrade look good. The soldiers however look like the old ones and don't quite match I find.

6. Artillery and tank explosions looks like its exploding in the air.

7. When you hover your move order button to where you want the troops to go you are shown where each troop will end up going.

8. Mortar now take about 25 seconds to aim. If you adjust your aim by any amount they take 25 more seconds to aim again.

9. You can use more than 15 teams now, around 20 or so.

10. Spotted units that disappear leave a marker on the battlefield at their last known location.

11. Maps scroll nicely. LOS lines move nicely to.

12. Maps are generally large sized.

So from my quick look there are a few nice addons like points 7 and 10. Overall it seems like more of a graphics upgrade than anything else. Lots of the graphics have been rearranged as well. Don't think I will look any deeper into the game, but I'll keep it installed to test any mods that may come out for it.

#65: Re: The game was released today Author: Pzt_KanovLocation: México PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 pm
    —
The latest patch introduced an option in the game's option menu to disable the fog graphic effect although it's in-game effects do stay (units are harder to see than at night)

You can "blind" enemy troops with the flare. Units inside the flare radius supposedly have a harder time spotting units outside it.

Give the GC a go. I find it is really hard as the germans.

#66: Re: The game was released today Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:17 am
    —
Hey mooxe,

My interest in PitF are possibly the maps. I learned from Steve and Mafi, that you can downscale the maps 62.5 percent and not have to re-code them. The elements would be 10 pixels square instead of PitFs 16 pixels square.

So, it might be possible to port PitF to TLD. Something I would be very willing to do.

But without a TLD port. I might be interested in downscaled PitF maps for use with CCMT.

So, I have been wondering how to get maybe one nice sized PitF map, so I can test the downscale using 5CC.

#67: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:09 am
    —
Found the fog off option. You have to edit the stock scenarios and change weather to all clear. I suppose the TXT file is another way.

#68: Re: The game was released today Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:24 am
    —
OK,

No problem.  Laughing

#69: Re: The game was released today Author: mooxe PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:33 am
    —
Yeah noticed the larger squares you were talking about. Don't like em!

#70: Re: The game was released today Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:00 am
    —
mooxe wrote (View Post):
Found the fog off option. You have to edit the stock scenarios and change weather to all clear. I suppose the TXT file is another way.

Removing the fog from the scenarios removes the impact, with the new patch you cam remove just the layer like removing trees....

#71: Re: The game was released today Author: Stwa PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:09 am
    —
Removing the fog from the scenarios removes the impact, with the new patch you cam remove just the layer like removing trees.... -Tejszd

I predicted this would happen.  Laughing  Arrow

Turning Off the Fog

#72: Re: The game was released today Author: johnsilverLocation: Florida PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:06 pm
    —
Tejszd wrote (View Post):
mooxe wrote (View Post):

Removing the fog from the scenarios removes the impact, with the new patch you cam remove just the layer like removing trees....

Removing the fog from every campaign, or every scenario would seem wrong. i really liked that added effect and thought it brought another disturbing effect and reality of "war" into the game from Matrix/Slitherine.

Now.. Understand how having it occur.. Like everyday over a 5-6 day long campaign and in the afternoons, rather than in the mornings would be wrong, but having it mysteriously show up during the morning to me was very nice and when had made my F/Pool choices, only to have fog show up? It was a nice effect and recall nobody griping about it at the time myself as a "bug" or item that would need removing when PITF would be released.

When/if the game is ever modded with something different, like a campaign/operation where fog is rare? Sure, make an off button, but it was an outstanding event to occur to me and one of the better ideas.

#73: Re: The game was released today Author: dj PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23 am
    —
ZAPPI4 wrote (View Post):
After trying to finish an operation ...

Shame on who support this fraud!!!

Zappi calls it as it is.  I shudder to think of the poor souls that paid $40.

One of the only reasons I bought it is because I hear rumours of new mods for PitF.  And well, it was 50% off.

The scale to me seems off.  The soldiers look way too small.   But I have 23" LED monitor, it is difficult to find the right resolution size that fits.

So far the AI is really worthless as usual just sitting around waiting for me to attack.

The maps are huge, I don't think that helps the AI.

Close Combat Series -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1