Best PC Upgrade in Years
Select messages from
# through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

#1: Best PC Upgrade in Years Author: mooxe PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:00 pm
    —
I recently purchased an 120GB SSD harddrive. This is by far the best upgrade I have done since buying 4megs of RAM in 1994.

Pros
- Applications open instantly.... for example any MS Office program I open, opens in one second.
- PC boot time is less than 30seconds

Cons
- Only 120GB Drive, I have to store movies/music and other seldomly used files on the SATA drive
- More expensive than traditional drives, but prices dropping rapidly

#2: Re: Best PC Upgrade in Years Author: TejszdLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:17 pm
    —
AGREED!

Bought 120GB for my 2nd computer (kids/wife and occasional H2H) and 240GB for my computer....

#3: Re: Best PC Upgrade in Years Author: Stwa PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:37 pm
    —
Stwa has 2 500 GB drives. C and D drive.

D Drive is called Media, C Drive System. I put all video related media on the Media drive, but it fills quickly.

These were drives puchased from Western Digital, for less than 100 bucks each.

They are NOT SATA. The serial technology for SATA is theoretically faster than the "older" legacy parallel wire technology. But the drive mechanism (magnetic head and platters), will prohibit the device from achieving the theoretical throughput.

My older (and now replaced) 200 GB and 100 GB drive I put into USB containers, and the 200 GB is used for Backups. They go back to 2004 at present.  Laughing

And the 100 GB drive is called Recovery, and has an image of XP, so I can use it to restore the OS if something happens to C drive.  

I only use single partitions (the entire disk) on the drives.

#4: Re: Best PC Upgrade in Years Author: southern_land PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:50 am
    —
I bought a can of compressed air and blew mine out... now its ruinning like a whole new comptuer

#5: Re: Best PC Upgrade in Years Author: Stwa PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:59 am
    —
I did that with my car.  Idea

#6: Re: Best PC Upgrade in Years Author: davidssfx PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 pm
    —
I agree, the SSD's are fast

I upgraded our machine last month ... I'll post the parts here, since I think it's a nice combo.
Note that the Intel i7 3770K CPU has graphics onboard, and can easily handle games like CC PitF ... you won't need to buy a graphics card unless you play newer demanding 3D games.

I put these parts in our existing (Antec Sonata) case:

Intel Core i7 3770K CPU
OCZ Vertex 3 - 120GB SSD
Asus P8Z77-V Pro motherboard
Corsair Professional HX650W 650W ATX power supply
Corsair Vengeance Blue CMZ8GX3M2A 8GB 2x4GB DDR3-1600 RAM
Windows 8 Pro
Asus DRW-24B1ST 24x DVD

Close Combat Series -> The Mess

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1