Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Author
platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Here are my proposed changes to the Strategic Map in relation to the map showing/not showing connections.
The circled green at Trois Ponts to Stoumont will now have a connection,I had always felt that Stoumont was basically an unused map during a GC.
The Stock Mod Campaign uses a Supply Depot at Stoumont to help make better use of this map.
Other than the 1 connection added everything else was corrected by editing the Normandy.tgs to remove the road showing a connection and/or by adding trees to provide a visual blockage.

It may not be the perfect solution but I feel its not as deceiving as once was.
I think one needs to expect that the Heavily Wooded areas would not always have a crossing,just as an open plain doesn't always mean one would cross it especially if you factor in the Heavy Snow.
Please disregard the Black line through Recht.

If you have any suggestions (Other than redoing every single map overlay) please feel free to provide them.
There is still room to provide more connections,either 7 or 8. I'm not sure if the game is counting from 0 or 1 on that part yet.
Currently there are 120 connections out of 128 being used.

Wact am Rhein.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  617.24 KB
 Viewed:  621 Time(s)

Wact am Rhein.jpg

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:41 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Quote:
I think one needs to expect that the Heavily Wooded areas would not always have a crossing,just as an open plain doesn't always mean one would cross it especially if you factor in the Heavy Snow.

Guess that makes sense. Snow drifts, trees blocking paths anyway.. The worst blockers will remain anyway, then it just keeps it a tad more difficult.. Meyrode and Recht, when units are all jumbled up is where I have the biggest obstacle in getting past a stubborn unit defensively many times with only one outlet and figured Matrix did that with the outlets on purpose, you left (or leaving it) this way on purpose to stall the german offensive some.

That Champs is a good one to fix you have proposed to Nadlin as is from Nadlin to Champlon. I wondered why there was no connection from Senonchamps to Champlon and probably, like many why Lutrebois was a near dead end map with movement only straight thru. I have been stuck there with action heated in the area as allies before.

All in all Michael.. It's fine not opening any to me. Learning to get around the bottlenecks adds to to difficulties adds to the gaming is my feeling.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:53 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

I've also done a little Vehicle editing to provide some variations visually to the game.
FJ Sturmgeschütz 40 Ausf G is now Green and not Red and the SS Command PzKfw IV Ausf H is Green and not Red.
Also added Winter Camo to the Command Tanks for the VG Battle groups.

Nothing new for the Allies other than editing the Command Tanks to show stars and editing the fpools to change  some Allied Tanks from Green to Winter Camo on or about Dec.25th.
(Not exactly sure just yet)

New Tanks.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.81 KB
 Viewed:  550 Time(s)

New Tanks.jpg

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:28 am Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

So I got what I hope to be a pleasing correction of the Strategic map up and running.
I added a connection from Stoumont to Trois Ponts.
And removed the incorrect arrow depicting a move from Senonchamps to Champs.

I know some don't like how Maps like Reuland,Beho,Losheim,Recht for example have boundaries that butt up to other maps providing what one would imply as possibly having a connection but in reality don't and would love to see them re-worked to not butt up.

But personally I find that to be too much work for too little reward. In essence it'd be the equivalent of creating entirely new strategic map with new overlays,all new hot spots,possibly all new arrows re-editing the Normandy.tga and in all honesty you'd still have that Fog of War effect in many places.

I have used the Maps from the book The Ardennes Battle of the Bulge by Hugh M. Cole (The green books) from the Center of Military History as a reference and feel that maps connected/not connected to be pretty accurate.I did not however check every single one of them,should you feel otherwise please make your point and I'll look into changing whatever it is you don't like.

I've re-worked the Force Pools.
Removed the Tanks from the Allied AB BG's and added Half-Tracks and Jeeps.
Reduced again the amount of Panthers and have the Force Pools use more Pz IV H's in the later stages of the GC.

I'm currently working on a new Sound.sfx file.
Schrecken had pointed out to me awhile back that one can add more Weapon sounds by adding them to the end of the current wave's inside the .sfx file.
I'm not sure if this was possible in CCIV,CCV or something new added to the re-releases.But a cool feature none the less.

So what I've done so far is to give the Wurfgerat 40 it's own .wav rather than use the same .wav as the Panzerschreck
What I cant seem to find however is a .wav for the Calliope Rocket,Is there any chance someone here might have one?
Or know of a Mod and/or game version I could rob one from?
Currently it shares the same sound as the Bazooka.

And I'm gonna change some of the Ambient .wav's
I'd love to know if the amount of Ambient sounds can be increased just like the weapon sounds. Does anyone here know?

cheers

johnsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Quote:
Removed the Tanks from the Allied AB BG's and added Half-Tracks and Jeeps."

Hehehe.. That is a dirty trick.. I'd rather see a few more 57mm.. Those units to me are cannon (tank?) fodder anyway IMHO, just have outstanding infantry, if you can keep them away from the German armor somehow. The US M3A1's and Jeep's (here at least) are rarely used. The 3 57mm's are just too few.

They DO have massive amounts of Bazookas.. 25-27 am thinking, but on a map AB units defend, that entails giving up most of it for them to have a chance without the M10's and M18's any longer, not that they lasted long anyway :)

Quote:
What I cant seem to find however is a .wav for the Calliope Rocket,Is there any chance someone here might have one?
Or know of a Mod and/or game version I could rob one from?

Trying to remember if any version of Combat Mission included the Calliope.. I have the 1st 2...Somewhere....

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

It is difficult to fight the German Armor BG's with the Allied AB BG's.
I will increase the amount of 57mm AT Gun's
I can also keep the Mortar and Command Half track to include bazookas like they currently do.

When I played a few battles online a fella joined my current GC in progress and was shocked to see I had chosen 3 tanks.
He didn't complain,but it did make me wonder.
Originally I was trying to simulate a hook up which I assumed happened during the Bulge.
I've also considered some Captured PzF60's,but I don't think I'd want them to have those weapons till somewhere after Dec.28th/29th?
That's 12-13 days into ones GC.Not much use unless your gonna play the 25 day GC.  Sad

I think your best bet would be to use your support for these teams and possibly pick the best map for the AB to fight on.
Just because they can move forward,doesn't necessarily mean you should.

Sorry,
But no more Tanks for the AB BG's

johnsilver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:44 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Quote:

Sorry,
But no more Tanks for the AB BG's

No complaints here on Shermans, or TD's for the AB units. 57mm's were used in airdrops and were feasible, as was the 37mm that was nearly phased out by that time of the war. you could throw in one of them with one of the AB units, even "stick" one of the units with nothing but those and bazookas if you like as not getting updated with equipment yet. I can research to see if that is correct on who had what, it's been years since done anything along those lines for this campaign. I don't mind.

(btw) I'll dig for those combat mission disks also if you don't have the games)

johnsilver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 am Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Michael,

I did some online research and several units at Bastogne of the 101st AB indeed were equipped with the M3 37mm AT gun if you don't want to give them more 57mm guns and just throw them a couple of those instead.

Just a thought.

Edit:

Just want to go into a bit more detail:

I flipped through some pages of "Bastogne: The 1st 8 days" as one of the sources of the 37mm gun being used, it was several times by AB units of the 101st and is mentioned.

Other than that, if you decide to take the time (I know it's a lot of work to add things like this) The weapons like the 37mm and even German 3.7cm PAK are not as bad as many think.

I have used especially the German 3.7cm to cripple armor before. It won't kill many, but has lots of ammunition, just like (as recall) the US 37mm does.

Shame is no way to just ensure AB units in the vicinity of Bastogne were equipped with these and  "cough" I have the book "cough" in pdf if interested..

johnsilver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:33 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Most interesting, as well as irritating thing has just occurred on my Stock campaign.

I posted about a No Force Pool error way back here:
campaign bug

It was on the VetMod, where the opponent shows as having -0- forces. Even if you click to continue the skirmish? You cannot go into battle as the "next" battle is shaded out.

My disk is perfectly legal, purchased directly from Matrix and is patched to 4.15.15b. I save after every battle (2 times) and generally play only 2-3 battles at a time before stopping for some time, then continuing to play some more.

Am I the only one who has this? It's not a big deal really. I'd like to know if anyone else has it however. I played Drizzt's campaign from both sides (to completion) and it never happened and generally got through the Vetmod without it. It would happen on Nomada's quite often and it worked ok earlier (months back) from the German side with the Stock Mod.

Will wait until you finish with the data updates before retrying from the US side Michael, maybe it was meant to be. Was beginning to hit a wall anyway.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:56 am Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Hi John
Can you please upload your last working saved game file please?

I have not seen this bug,I remember you posting that for VETBoB and am surprised your having that issue.
I've played quite a few GC's now and have yet to see that since Matrix corrected that issue. (Or did they?)

Of course I've never really tried to pound the death out of a Battle group either.
Maybe I need to.
I always take/offer a Truce but that's only cause of the 00:00 bug.
You could try posting or at Matrix,Steve's been a big help lately on the forums over there.
I dont see anyone ever posting this bug Mod or no Mod,so who knows?

If you can upload your last working file and tell me if your using the Bernard's Mod install version or ModSwap that would be a big help.(maybe)

I don't think it's a Mod issue
I'm thinking either a bad/corrupted install of WaR (read that somewhere here,I think it was suggested by Drizzt),or Matrix hasn't fully corrected the issue,but I'm just guessing on that.

As for the AT_Guns for the AB Battle groups I did increase them slightly,I'm curious as to how many of them are you using per battle? Laughing
There is no 37mm gun for the Allies in WaR (Matrix didn't create one)I have no real interest in creating one myself either sorry.

johnsilver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:00 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Quote:
I always take/offer a Truce but that's only cause of the 00:00 bug.

I never do this, even though I realize you recommend it and is why I 2x save every battle in case get the CTD at the end of a battle some times I have that 2nd save to rely on as a backup.

I deleted the saves.. Yes.. I was initially upset, at the game itself for ruining the campaign that far in, nothing else and certainly not at the designer.. I apologize or would send the things.. It occurred to me when I was posting that initial message that someone could have possibly wanted it, but it was already gone.

I *DO* pound the forces, play with 15 minutes and try to bust the morale of the opposition if possible. Sometimes I have a feeling it is the destruction of maps that cause crashes, but I moved off of maps with shell holes and littered early on. There were newer ones created like that, but i tried to stay back from those if possible even.

Quote:
I don't think it's a Mod issue
I'm thinking either a bad/corrupted install of WaR (read that somewhere here,I think it was suggested by Drizzt),or Matrix hasn't fully corrected the issue,but I'm just guessing on that.

I reinstalled the during the Kharkov to fix some issues you may have noticed crash related and will reinstall again before you release the next update of the stock update. Thanks for that :-)

Quote:
As for the AT_Guns for the AB Battle groups I did increase them slightly,I'm curious as to how many of them are you using per battle? Laughing
There is no 37mm gun for the Allies in WaR (Matrix didn't create one)I have no real interest in creating one myself either sorry.

Depends.. Fairly open map and vs armored KG? I'll bring out 3 AT guns. nasty and up close map vs a armored KG? Sometimes only 1 and 3-4 Bazookas. With the AB units however was having to ration the guns, take care not to lose too many at once. 2 was the most ever brought out and always had a couple of bazookas on hand, or an M10-M18.

Fine on the 37mm I thought last time looked at the data sheet thought saw it, but must have been from the 3.7cm German, too much trouble to add anything like that agreed.

Edit:

Mod installer is version 1.2

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

The connections are a good improvement.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

johnsilver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:32 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

In keeping with preference for "crushing the opposition" as you put it Michael. I made my somewhat normal change (for me) in the campaign.txt file:

Quote:
# Recycle Disbanded BGs (0 = Never come back, 1 = Return next day)

Edit:

Reinstalled WAR. Also?, like Drizzt recommended for some with his mod and going to use the installer version rather than plugin version of the stock mod this time.. Might as well try multiple things Smile

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Thanks Mooxe,
I see a few more editing of roads still need to be done though.

It will be in the next update.

johnsilver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

You were asking about possible additions/changes earlier with regards to doorways/maps and I added a few too many Michael in other ways.. Apologies.. Went wild with that..

I will make one more that mentioned way back in the Vetmod with a map that always liked in the CC5 version and would like to see implemented.. "Siegried Line" over Loesham I think is the one it is supposed to be a larger scale of, or Siegfried line takes into account a larger part of the actual map.

Yes.. It would be a pretty much fictional map here, as it is so grand a scale in the place of Losheim, though it is an absolute grinder for the German, having to cross an open river, mine fields everywhere, open mountains with little cover.. Where the Losheim map (to me) is a walk in the park.

I understand you have a bundle of work to do, as well as have already done.  It's just another of my suggestions.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:11 am Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

No

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

I'm not sure whats going on but when I direct people to this page they are not able to download the Mod.
Some say they cant even register with the site.
Even when I give them a direct link they tell me they cant download it.

Is this something to do with their browser?

When I copy and paste the links I've sent them through GameRanger everything seems fine on my end,page loads or the download starts.

I've spent hours trying to help a few people with this and so far I think only one person has been able to install the Mod.

I'm not sure what else I can do to help people download/Install this Mod.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:54 pm Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Its possible that the registration emails get filtered as spam. About every week or so people email me to manually create their account as they never get the email, which I do for them.

I make sure CCS works in Chrome and IE and I tried your downloads, they work.

The only thing I can suggest for you Michael is to make all your downloads ZIP files.

If they have technical troubles with the site please refer them to me, I'll get them sorted out.

johnsilver

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 5:48 am Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure whats going on but when I direct people to this page they are not able to download the Mod.
Some say they cant even register with the site.
Even when I give them a direct link they tell me they cant download it.

Is this something to do with their browser?

Just an FYI:

A few months back, this site was on Malwarebyte's "nasty" list and blocked. Had to manually allow access to the site. Perhaps some other active malware softer is still blocking access to CCS.

JS

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 11:12 am Post subject: Re: Stock Mod for WAR Reply with quote

So I'm semi-sorta kinda leaning towards something like this.
What would happen is to correct the overlays to not be so goofy in understanding Map Connections yet still keep the way the road connections currently are depicted.
Hopefully I would be able to expand some of the overlays to the west so that the .tga more resembles the actual Bulge.(I.E. not the larger black dead space the game has now)
And slightly re arrange others to fit this image.
And yes there probably will be more graphic editing of roads/trees etc to meet the new needs.

Is this something you may be interested in?
Or does it too closely resemble CCIV which would just be a real bummer to play?
But like I said it would still keep the current connections minus the few I already corrected.

I'm also considering a name change for the .v2.0
Unfortunately I have no idea what to call it.
Never did.
Or should I leave the name of this Mod as-is?
With Spring slowly arriving fishing,work,grass cutting,beer drinking I'd say maybe next winter for the next available update....maybe Smile

Untitled-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  959.79 KB
 Viewed:  508 Time(s)

Untitled-1.jpg

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Wacht am Rhein
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jump to: