Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Author
Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

People forget that everyone had the discussion over at Matrix when COI was being formulated. And this was the usual heated CC discussion.

At that time, it was clear to moi, that even Sulla might not have been on the same page as Matrix. Sulla provided several posts, that at a very minimum, seem to imply that he wanted a large game that attempted to provided multiple campaigns, or perhaps even a combination of features from CC3 and CC5. In the end, he (and everyone else), settled for a re-make of CC3. Personally, I argued for just bug fixes and DX updates, but that was shot down early in the conversations.

BUT FOR PITF, in an attempt to get back on topic.

The main reason for getting PitF, is that the scale changes. By that the map scale or the size of a terrain element, changes from 10 pixels square to 16 pixels square. In keeping with that, the tanks have become larger, and I am quessing, they won't look pixelated on the new larger monitors.

However, your monitor size and its resolution, will probably determine if you enjoy the effect that this increase in visual scale causes. If you have a large sized monitor with a gazillion pixels (extreme high definition), then you might see larger, more appealing features when you play the game.

If your monitor is an average size, with just the (up to now), normal amount of pixels, like 1024 x 768 or even my set up with 1360 x 768, the increase in visual scale might not be so pleasant. You will see less of the battle field than before, and the soldiers and tanks and other stuff will be larger. I don't think I am going to like that, so I am good with the current scale that CCMT provides.

BTW, Normandy will NEVER get old.  Arrow

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Quote:
then you might see larger, more appealing features when you play the game.

I'll go as far as saying the graphics look better on TLD and WAR vs CC5 and older even. No idea on COI, since don't have it.

The graphics do look much better (to me) on PITF and they put a lot of effort it seemed on getting them right during testing. "ghosting" features fixed was just one.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:27 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

I don't have COI either. In the end I did not get any re-release. I did not consider CCMT a re-release, but rather the last of the games provided by Atomic. At the time when I got CCMT, I also had CC4 and CC5. From 2000-2005, I played those games until I puked. They were great.

I took a break until 2009, when I got CCMT. Its 2013, and I will never take a break from CCMT.

Now, I only have CCMT, and it was a GREAT choice. Totally stable, supports WW2 and Modern. Has tons of features the other titles do not have, like mount/dismount, dig-in, saved replay games, as many maps as you want, and an enhanced editor. It is the ultimate.

Besides, I threw together my own PitF campaign. It was called Panthers in Your Face (PiYF). I created it on a Saturday afternoon, and played it over and over again. BTW, the Germans would always win.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Quote:
I also had CC4 and CC5. From 2000-2005, I played those games until I puked. They were great.

With you 100% there. Back in the GLORY DAYS on the old MS game room, there was always 40-50 people waiting to either play H2H, or just plain chat away.. Clans galore and good old comradesmanship most of the time.. With some exceptions..

Made many friends there, then like you it seems, got burned out and moved to Combat Mission until stopped gaming at all myself until 3 years back and got WAR, TLD to get caught up.. Liked them, then got involved in the PITF testing and enjoyed it.

PeG-WW2 Campaigns Page

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:43 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't know you were a tester. Maybe someday I will be ready for PitF, but ...

If I were a NOOB, like platoon_micheal, or AT_Stalky, I would wait until there is a volume of content, that you can add to the PitF experience.

For instance, are there installers for it, that will allow you to add mods, like you can do with WAR and TLD.

Have they put the latest version of 5CC, in a place where it can be easily found by players, that might want to make simple map alterations.

Are there a signigicant number of mods for PitF. I am not sure its incremental improvements in graphics are worth abandoning all the content available for the other game titles. I also noticed, Matrix stated that with PitF, a player would be able to "enjoy" all the CC mods currently in existance.  Is this true, I wonder.

Perhaps, a move to PitF, is warrented sometime in the future, when bugs are fixed, and there is additional content, like mods.

For moi, after Panthers in Your Face, I threw together a sequel entitled Tigers in Your Face. These are multi mission campaigns that I am making by simply using the battle editor that comes with CCMT. So, no great skill required here. I am not sure, but I am fairly certain, I would not be able to do this with PitF, so if I moved to it, I would be losing a lot of functionality.

Stwa

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:56 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

CCMT can also provide some approximation of the vehicle scale for PitF and how this might appear on your monitor.

Now, the scales in CCMT are not the new larger scales of PitF, but CCMT has some really big main battle tanks, which gives you an idea of what bigger tanks would seem like, even the larger WW2 tanks in PitF.

The maps I use in CCMT are precisely 600 meters square, which in my understanding is roughly the size of your average PitF map, except that in PitF the visual scale is larger so 600 meters square requires a map 4800 pixels square. In CCMT, 600 meters square = 3000 pixels square.

Apart for the scale difference, what is the same, and what might be more important to players, is that as the scales get larger, or if any game (CCMT included), attempts to provide a larger battlefield (in this case 600 meters square), the targets are going to go OFF SCREEN.

The pic below demonstrates that. It also helps to clarify another problem (addressed in another thread), concerning visibility and forests. But, the modern tanks look large, probably like WW2 tanks in the larger PitF scales. But note, becuase the forest is scattered and not dense, the tanks can still pick out targets on the other side of the map, perhaps 500 meters away.

This pic is from Operation Phoenix, a 15 mission CCMT campaign, when I discovered that using main battle tanks, in closed, obstructed maps, would be a blast, even in CCMT.

What players have not fully appreciated, over time, is that the fundamental core design of CC has not really changed since its inception. And early on, the game was designed to support a maximum map of 576 meters square or 2880 pixels square. Just because the programmers have been able to modify the game to provide larger maps, doesn't mean that all aspects of the original design, support these large maps in an intended way. The most notable example, would be the loss of resolution in the mini map and overview map.

squadleader_id

Rep: 53.2
votes: 7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:10 am Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):

Besides, I threw together my own PitF campaign. It was called Panthers in Your Face (PiYF). I created it on a Saturday afternoon, and played it over and over again. BTW, the Germans would always win.

Umm...CCMT Campaign? You mean a string of single/individual battles, right? Not a real campaign of linked/continuous battles  Smile

Stwa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:10 am Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Hi,

I responded to this inquiry or perhaps NOOBISH remark in the CCMT forum, with a new thread.

What is a CCMT Campaign?

Regards,

Stwa

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:05 am Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

Corporal Dale R Stwa wrote (View Post):
If I [Stwa] were a NOOB, like platoon_micheal, or AT_Stalky, I would wait until there is a volume of content, that you can add to the PitF experience.

NOOB Dale R Stwa wrote (View Post):
Perhaps, a move to PitF, is warrented sometime in the future, when bugs are fixed, and there is additional content, like mods.

Cool

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

with the /d switch you don't need 3rd party programs to install mods without messing with your original installation anymore.

chessmaster

Rep: 33.1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:03 pm Post subject: Re: Is it worth buying with the new patch that came out? Reply with quote

thanks for your answer Platoon Michael

yeah would love to play something thats about italy 2..
accept for that greece italy mod i played for cc5 about kreta or something i think, i didnt played italians before or a campaign in italy itself

since it s important for me 2, cause there were a lot of algerian, tunesien and moroccan soldiers there fighting in the allied ranks

i am maroccan my roots but i was born in belgium

Part of being a commander is knowing when to smile, make the troops happy
even if it is the last thing in the world you want to do

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Panthers in the Fog
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Jump to: