Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1224
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
nikin

Rep: 15.7
votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:55 pm Post subject: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

I used Modswap to mod TLD (Battle for Caen). Problems arose when it was necessary to create a submod:

1) MODSWAP allows you to install any mod on top of any other. The consequences are irreversible - need reinstall game.
For comparison - CC5 Config issued in this case an error (foolproof) and did not allow to install the mod over.

2) If submod is put over mod and again overwrites the file. In this case, uninstall submod generates an error. Because the file is replaced back with a file of the original game (not a file of mod).
For comparison - CC5 Config works correctly in this case: GJS + TRSM submod for example.

3) When submod is put over mod - MODSWAP allows you uninstall the main mod the first.
For comparison - CC5 Config refuses to break the sequence.

+some deficiencies:

1) You must manually prescribe the way to the exe file

2) No instructions for modders.

I made a topic on Matrix forum (Modswap is official addition). Later I saw that the creation modswap was involved schrecken ( http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8622  ). I would like to hear his comments.

Cheers, nikin

PS The problem is solved. I have to use CC5 config with some modifications.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:11 pm Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

In all honesty Bernard's Mod Installer works better.

With Mod Swap I had problems with Weapon Icons not being displayed.

I understand if there's an issue with Bernard's tool and Game Ranger but personally I don't know if there is or is not.

There's less steps to take in creating you Mod for install.
Easily editable for updates.
No confusing install.
It just works much better.

GL on getting any updates for Mod Swap.

nikin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:10 pm Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

Ok about Bernard's Mod Installer.

Gameranger disappears at once. And probably not the only one.

And immediately a couple of questions:

1) Can I use submods?
2) Can I use my CC exe file?
3) Can I use the renamed maps from TLD? (to reduce the size of the mod)

Cheers, nikin

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 9:41 pm Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

nikin wrote (View Post):
Ok about Bernard's Mod Installer.

Gameranger disappears at once. And probably not the only one.

And immediately a couple of questions:

1) Can I use submods?

Cheers, nikin

1) Can I use submods?
You can use 5 different adjustments for each Allies and Axis in the workbook based on difficulty 0-4

Haven't tried that yet but I don't see why not.

Please be more clear

nikin

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 10:11 pm Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

Do you think that submod is the same as the level of difficulty. Great.
Those were rhetorical questions. Let's stop.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 11:21 pm Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

Does the mod need to rename maps???

I downloaded the mod and manually installed in a sub directory as I do not want to corrupt/have problems with the original game....

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 4:07 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

The what exactly is your sub mod?
Slightly edited Data

nikin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:19 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Does the mod need to rename maps???
Yep. And such a possibility has CC5 Configurator.

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
I downloaded the mod and manually installed in a sub directory as I do not want to corrupt/have problems with the original game....
Stupid argument. You can create a safe copy of the original game if you are so afraid. But when you play with the mod to have available all the options and Gameranger.

Cheers, nikin

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:56 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

Schrecken told me along time ago that Mod Swap (for CCMT) DOES NOT support submods per se.

That being said, it is not difficult to set up a sub-mod (just another plugin) using mod swap. But modswap will not enforce that you must un-install the submods first, before un-installing the original mod. If you un-install out of order there might be an issue.

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

My Woodland Camouflage Plugin is a submod of several map mods, because it replaces (or modifies) a map file, which was a file in another (or different) plugin.

I have all maps in plugins. I generally install these first. Then if I want, I can install the Woodland Camouflage Plugin, which replaces many of the map txt files that were previously installed with the map plugins which are still in use by the system. In theory, this makes this plugin (Woodland Camouflage), a submod.

Syscon (Mod Swap), automatically backs up the original map files (by renaming them with a .BAK extension), when the files from the Woodland Camouflage plugin are installed.

Then, when the Woodland Camouflage plugin is un-installed, Syscon deletes its map files, and then renames the original map files back to what they were, by removing the .BAK extension.

It's fun.  Idea

Last edited by Stwa on Tue May 21, 2013 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total

nikin

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:31 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
Schrecken told me along time ago that Mod Swap (for CCMT) DOES NOT support submods per se.

That being said, it is not difficult to set up a sub-mod (just another plugin) using mod swap. But modswap will not enforce that you must un-install the submods first, before un-installing the original mod. If you un-install out of order there might be an issue.
Modswap ini has a section "RequiredMods". That is, the installation of submods is provided.
But even if I do not violate the order will still get the error:
nikin wrote (View Post):
2) If submod is put over mod and again overwrites the file. In this case, uninstall submod generates an error. Because the file is replaced back with a file of the original game (not a file of mod).
For comparison - CC5 Config works correctly in this case: GJS + TRSM submod for example.

it is clear that with maps will not be problems. I'm talking about twice modified files such Weapons.txt. In this case, uninstall submod generates an error in the data.

Last edited by nikin on Tue May 21, 2013 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:39 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

nikin wrote (View Post):
Stwa wrote (View Post):

Modswap ini has a section "RequiredMods". That is, the installation of submods is provided.
But even if I do not violate the order will still get the error:
nikin wrote (View Post):

Ya, but that is the part (Required Mods) that is not supported, or no workie. I guess I can search for the thread. It is here at CCS somewhere.

And yes, as I said before, Syscon is NOT going to enforce the order of un-installation of the plugins/mods. Hence, submods are not really supported.

Here is the thread where Schrecken explains that the "RequiredMods" section no workie.  Arrow

Mod Swap Booby

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:11 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

nikin wrote (View Post):
it is clear that with maps will not be problems. I'm talking about twice modified files such Weapons.txt. In this case, uninstall submod generates an error in the data.

I understand, but the file with the .bak extension may have been gomered on the second installation of the same file, un-installation notwithstanding.

Also, I haven't used Config Manager in a decade, but can it really support unlimited instances of the same file being installed over and over again by different submods/plugins. Is there a finite limit to the times a file can be replaced and remain adequately managed by Config Manager? I can't remember.

Critical game files like weapons.txt might ought to be proected from subsequent installations of the same file by using the ExclusiveFile section.  Arrow

[General]
Name=Terrain Elements
Description=This plugin adds CC4 Huge Conifer trees to CCMT. This Elements file is compatible with the CCMT Terrain file, and existing CCMT maps and missions are not affected in any way.
Game Version Required=1.0

[ExclusiveFiles]
Elements.txt  <-------- Can only be modified/replaced ONE time.

[Files]
Elements.txt=\DATA\BASE\

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:53 am Post subject: Re: Modswap for CoI, WaR, tLD, LSA Reply with quote

nikin wrote (View Post):
MODSWAP allows you to install any mod on top of any other. The consequences are irreversible - need reinstall game.

If CC5 Config Manager solves your problem, then you should use that.

But Mod Swap (Syscon), offers several methods of protection, so that swapped files can be absolutely protected.

First there is the Exclusive Files section that I mentioned above.

But also, Mod Swap will not allow the same plugin to be installed over itself.

Also, even if the plugin FILE names are different, if two plugins specify the same plugin name, Mod Swap will not allow a second installation.

For instance, I have 2 plugins.  Arrow  WW2 ETO Upgrade.ccm and WW2 PTO Upgrade.ccm.

Each are separate plugins that install the same core game files, but also each plugin specifies the SAME plugin name (i.e. WW2 Upgrade).

Mod Swap, will NOT allow a second or subsequent installation of WW2 Upgrade even if the plugin FILE names are different.

[General]
Name=WW2 Upgrade [but uses WW2 ETO Upgrade.ccm filename]
Description=This WW2 Upgrade provides a German OPFOR for the European Theater of Operations. Install this plugin after you have patched your initial installation of CCMT to the highest revision. This plugin corrects, updates, or changes, teams, soldiers, weapons, vehicles, sounds, screens, screen gadgets, game gadgets, and terrain features. CCMT original missions are not compatible with this plugin.

[ExclusiveFiles]
Shadows.azp
Tanks.azp
CCImages.pix
GameGadg.gdg
ScrnGadg.gdg
Sound.sfx
RUNames.txt
BlueTeams.txt
RedTeams.txt
Soldiers.txt
UniformColor.txt
Vehicles.txt
Weapons.txt
Terrain

[Files]
Shadows.azp=\GRAPHICS
Tanks.azp=\GRAPHICS
CCImages.pix=\GRAPHICS
GameGadg.gdg=\GRAPHICS
ScrnGadg.gdg=\GRAPHICS
Terrain=\GRAPHICS
Sound.sfx=\LOCALFX
RUNames.txt=\DATA\BASE
BlueTeams.txt=\DATA\BASE
RedTeams.txt=\DATA\BASE
Soldiers.txt=\DATA\BASE
UniformColor.txt=\DATA\BASE
Vehicles.txt=\DATA\BASE
Weapons.txt=\DATA\BASE

[General]
Name=WW2 Upgrade [but uses WW2 PTO Upgrade.ccm filename]
Description=This WW2 Upgrade provides a Japanese OPFOR for the Pacific Theater of Operations. Install this plugin after you have patched your initial installation of CCMT to the highest revision. This plugin corrects, updates, or changes, teams, soldiers, weapons, vehicles, sounds, screens, screen gadgets, game gadgets, and terrain features. CCMT original missions are not compatible with this plugin.

[ExclusiveFiles]
Shadows.azp
Tanks.azp
CCImages.pix
GameGadg.gdg
ScrnGadg.gdg
Sound.sfx
BlueTeams.txt
JANames.txt
RedTeams.txt
Soldiers.txt
UniformColor.txt
Vehicles.txt
Weapons.txt
Terrain

[Files]
Shadows.azp=\GRAPHICS
Tanks.azp=\GRAPHICS
CCImages.pix=\GRAPHICS
GameGadg.gdg=\GRAPHICS
ScrnGadg.gdg=\GRAPHICS
Terrain=\GRAPHICS
Sound.sfx=\LOCALFX
BlueTeams.txt=\DATA\BASE
JANames.txt=\DATA\BASE
RedTeams.txt=\DATA\BASE
Soldiers.txt=\DATA\BASE
UniformColor.txt=\DATA\BASE
Vehicles.txt=\DATA\BASE
Weapons.txt=\DATA\BASE

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Modding Workshop

Jump to: