Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1222
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Author
Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

WAR and TLD have parity in features after all patches are applied thus a WAR or TLD mod can be run on the other CC exe. The data/graphics/ect. are very close to CC5 and not that hard to port mods to.

LSA broke a lot of backwards compatibility. Some changes made sense as they req'd (ex. bridge blowing data/graphics, static BG's) for new features while others (ex. armour, gun and element protection) made less sense at least to mod makers and or porting mods (supposedly the formula changes make new data easier/more consistent). Love some of the new features and think NEW mods should target LSA but for porting WAR/TLD is a much easier job/target.

PiTF broke some backwards compatibility (ex. forcepools, maps) and took some very important LSA features away (ex. attacking with multiple BG's) while adding some things (ex. better graphics, more units per BG in battle, towing guns) but to I do not put it ahead of LSA....

Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:56 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Here comes one of those "once upon a time stories"  Arrow

A long, long, time ago, I finally discovered a PC game (beyond solataire), that instantly and forever got my attention. It was a combat flight simulator. At the time I had no idea that such games (or simulations) even existed for the PC. And moreover, how could the lowly PCs of that day even have enough resources to execute such a simulation.

But as I involved myself in the simulation, it also came to my attention that there was a sponsored on-line community site just for this game. Up to this time, I had never involved myself in any such community, and I found this particular community very fascinating. Of course I was a lurker at first. And there was no way, I could do any kind of modding. So, I would download a few aircraft skins from time to time and that was about it.

Oddly, what kept me going back to the site day after day, were the people that I would meet, and all the activity that seemed to be going on all around. The leaders of this site were very energetic, and would try to involve community members in a variety of extensive modding projects. Now this was in the day, where the game developers never ever visited the community, and modders in general were despised by the game producers. But that didn't bother anyone at this site, and modding teams assembled and went about their work with spirit.

And this spirit was spirt of inclusion that could provide a task for every individual that wanted to participate in a project. Of course, flight simulators are very extensive, and apart from 3D models, there are skins, screen art, tons of scripts, research, and more research. People invloved themselves with the idea that they would not be involved with the game producers or the game developers, and they with their manpower advantage, and their spirit, would produce a much better product than the original developers.

And eventually, their came a project, that was so interesting, so vast, and so exciting, that almost every active community member wanted to add their labor to see the project through to its conclusion in the shortest amount of time possible. But, the project was daunting, and work proceeded for a period of years.

When the first phase of the proejct was nearing completion and the installation software seemed to be the only task remaining, anticipation was at a fever pitch. But then, something shocking happened. Community members logged on and discovered that the two primary leaders of the project, the ones that were collecting and combining all the work from every individual that had made a contribution, had decided to present this work to the original game producers to see if this work could be sold, or if some other money arrangement could be made.

And in the end, all this community work became the property of the two project leaders, and they alone were to benefit in a financial way. At this point the spirt of inclusion had vanished.

Now, I know, this kind of thing doesn't happen here at CCS. But this whole episode, that I witnessed at that community, left me with the conviction that perhaps modding teams beholding to the developers and producers, should re-side with the developers and producers. It's a clear seperation of choice and morality.

But, if the community cannot be spared, and the forces of nature look overwhelming, then sing and sing proudly.  Arrow

Link

nikin

Rep: 15.7
votes: 8

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:30 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
WAR and TLD have parity in features after all patches are applied thus a WAR or TLD mod can be run on the other CC exe. The data/graphics/ect. are very close to CC5 and not that hard to port mods to.

LSA broke a lot of backwards compatibility.
It has played a cruel joke with the TLD. Because there moved everything, even outright shit.
CC5 -> LSA not so difficult, if not change scale of maps. But again LSA and PITF are not worthy sequel.

Last edited by nikin on Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:58 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

2Stwa I tell about LSA (not about PITF) + Map size does not determine range of duels - too many obstacles (especially in Normandy). -nikin

True, but NOT always true, even in Normandy.  Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:03 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Stwa wrote (View Post):
Here comes one of those "once upon a time stories" ... 

Wow what a couple of jerks.

I'm not against modders pitching their idea to the developers as long as its their own work, some very great games have come up this way. Of course we all prefer modding as something made by a community member or team for the community free of charges.

Are the tool makers also getting some of the dough for the "official" mods? I mean with out the tools and guides no mod will be possible.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Okinawa anyone?

Stwa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:50 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Okinawa anyone?

I can't really recall, but me thinks Okinawa was one of the first CC5 mods to come out.

Anyway, I can't remember if the mod maker extensively used community "labor" for the mod.  Question

But anyway, I do remember that in the end, he put this work onto a CD, and you could order them.  Idea

The mod was free, but there was a $15  postage and handling fee.  Laughing

Stwa

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:05 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

oops, posted in wrong forum ...  Laughing [slaps forehead]

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 2:45 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Dynamites Okinawa Mod was being sold on e-bay.

And not just for postage.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:49 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

That was a weird chapter on the long history of close combat community. If I remember correctly he was selling it on a CD ready to install but at the same time it was available for download for free or wasn't?.

Antony_nz

Rep: 85.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:18 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I love Okinawa. Its the perfect battle to turn into a mod.
Thanks for the CC history lesson. New readers will find that interesting.  

Im very interested in the new Close Combat. I just hope to god they make it better and stay out of Normandy.

Guadalcanal is perfect for the next Close Combat. But if they truly plan on upgrading close combat then Italy Grand Campaign is my pick.
Its not like there are Even made mods for it..

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:25 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Anthony, try Ortona '43 if you are looking for a mod on the Italian campaign.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Antony_nz

Rep: 85.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:16 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I cant find it, do you have a link?

I used the search feature.

:UPDATE: http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS//modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=10069
Needs too be on the DL section
Thanks looks amazing. Will download it ASAP

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:56 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

There will be custom maps for The Bloody First. There will not be a strategic map / battlegroup system as in previous releases, so sharing teams between BGs isn't really applicable. Details like intro videos or descriptive text are still under discussion.

Steve

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:52 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):

There will be custom maps for The Bloody First. There will not be a strategic map / battlegroup system as in previous releases, so sharing teams between BGs isn't really applicable. Details like intro videos or descriptive text are still under discussion.

Steve

Is this the signal to get officially mad?  Laughing

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:13 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

I see no reason for that.

It is what it is.

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

CC3/COI fans will be happy without the CC4/CC5 strat map I guess....

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 5:18 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
CC3/COI fans will be happy without the CC4/CC5 strat map I guess....

hurt them, kill them, throw their bodies down a well!!!

Gun_Pierson

Rep: 1.3

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:59 am Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

So they're working on a next gen of CC, interesting.  I still play CC2, CC3 and CC5. CC2 because fighting for those supply lines is awesome. CC3 because upgrading your units and seeing them getting xp, medals etc. creates an incredible amount of bonding with your troops.  CC5 because Panzerjager's  Stalingrad Der Kessel and Operation Circle mods are just tons of fun.  The Afrika mod is also good.

I stopped buying after CC5 because they just recycled old stuff from that point on.  

The last 10 years I've been writing a CC next gen script on and off, so I'm very curious to see what they will come up with.  A new engine has always been a must as well as modern graphics without loosing the CC feel.  Better get some talented coders, designers and what not in.

And most importantly, they should know what makes a game fun.  What keeps people hooked and what not.  Why did big budget games like Star Wars the old Republic and Diablo 3 fail?  And what makes a game like League of Legends so good and popular? What are the pros and cons of each Close Combat game?  If they don't know the answers to stuff like that then there's a high chance to fail.   I hope the head game designer knows what he's doing.  If not, contact me lol.

There's certainly a big potential for a next gen Close Combat type game, if done right.

mooxe

Rep: 221.7

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:05 pm Post subject: Re: New Close Combat Reply with quote

In case you don't browse Slitherine forums....

http://slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=142&t=47611&sid=0128c62348f779e64b0e888aebc6de41

Next Close Combat (with Unity engine) will function on the iPad.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Jump to: