Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1214
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:09 am Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

Conrad wrote (View Post):

That's a nice comparison, I now understand your point.

Since multiple people noticed this I'll fix this issue.

Thank god. One of the few good things I could say about PitF (single player at least was aweful) was that the colour palette was great. If you'd stuck with this pale palette it would have ruined GWTC.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Conrad

Rep: 14.8
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:32 am Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

TheImperatorKnight wrote (View Post):
Conrad wrote (View Post):

That's a nice comparison, I now understand your point.

Since multiple people noticed this I'll fix this issue.

Thank god. One of the few good things I could say about PitF (single player at least was aweful) was that the colour palette was great. If you'd stuck with this pale palette it would have ruined GWTC.

One reason single player was so bad in PitF is because of the way how the maps where coded in relation with the vl's. Besides that playing multiplayer has always been better than singleplayer, at least after cc2, don't you think?

Opinions are divided weither the color palette is good or not. It's such a difficult discussion because every monitor is different. One thing is that the color palette in PitF is slightly more unrealistic when comparing to reality. In nature colors are mostlikely to be faded in browns, blue's, green and thus greys and can appear faded because of the particles in the air.

Since it's pretty easy to change I'll seek a way inbetween. But it's not going to be like PitF.

Last edited by Conrad on Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Conrad

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

Guys and gals, here's an example of a color fix.

Could you give me some feedback how it displays on your monitors and weither you like it or not.

Thanks in advance.

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:41 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

I like it, a little more vibrancy and a marked increase in contrast without spoiling your great work (just my opinion)

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:00 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

Quote:

dj, there is almost no budget trust me. What could be done is some kind of fundraise. I'd say make a bold step and do something about it.
I'd love to do an eastern front version in the future, perhaps with the latest build of the 3D engine. For now it's the British versus the Germans which has also been a while , right?

The solution would be recruiting another gaming company business partner with co-development budget and negotiate revenue sharing.  Happens all the time in software industry.  You guys have the leverage with the coding expertise and knowledge.  Partner could help with additional resources, etc.  It can work.  Maybe get the U.K. Slitherine developers to chip in more resources too.

Isn't that what Atomic did with Microsoft back in the day???

What will the Revolution Change? - Youth Brigade

AT_Stalky

Rep: 27.4
votes: 10

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

To be frank, faded is an understatement.
They look like lacking detail and just GMO monoculture football fields, or paved parking lots.
IMO Abstract and not that intreseting.

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:33 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

Tbh, I don't see a difference in the colour fix. It still looks like it's watered down. If you can't see a difference you may need to correct the contrast ratio on your monitors.

Quote:
One thing is that the color palette in PitF is slightly more unrealistic when comparing to reality. In nature colors are mostlikely to be faded in browns, blue's, green and thus greys and can appear faded because of the particles in the air.

Realism is fine, but this is a game. It has to look attractive otherwise we'll people won't buy it and those that do will get bored of it. There's a point where realism becomes dull. And whilst PitF may be unrealistic, it looks a lot more attractive than a lot of games in the series. They messed up a lot in PitF, but they got the look of the game spot on.

On a side note, the map layout looks great btw. The town in the centre makes it worth attacking/defending, which should lead to a decent close quarters fight for the centre. Some of the best maps in PitF have a similar layout.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

I couldn't see much of a difference either. I have viewed the maps on four different screens to.

Join Discord for technical support and online games.

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

I could see a little more definition but even that was hard to spot.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:57 am Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

The difference is barely noticeable on my screen, which is adequately calibrated for my photography. Top quality screens may be able to render subtle texture and colour differences better but as a graphic designer you should bear in mind that the game will be played on consumer grade screens rather than Eizo's or the like. Also, please bear in mind that different consumer markets around the world have different tastes (also in colour). If I remember well (back from the film days) Kodak would sell different versions of their film in Europe and the USA. A question I probably shouldn't be asking: Is the colour space in which you are designing the same as on our screens?
Commenting on your style: to me, the slightly washed out appearance resembles a somewhat hazy view from a distance in a season where bright foliage greens have muted. If you are posting screenshots of complete maps they will not look particularly appealing. It is not until zoomed in that we see the fine detail. Having said all this, I like the style and appreciate the quality of your work.

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Conrad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:33 am Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

here's another go!

Thanks pete, Currently I'm using two monitors and just recently a Macbook pro screen. The most avarage screen is a acer desktop screen by which I can compare the current map graphics.

I'm aware that taste is somewhat subjectively, it becomes even more difficult when people have different monitors, I would not assume my monitor is displaying the best settings for the game. That's why I need your help.

But keep in mind that most players out here are used to a different type of graphic. I value the opinions of people that never played this game above the conventions, since that's also a target group. Besides that what would a Monet or a Mark Rothko painting be like when they would have listened too much to their audience?

I'd like to seek a way inbetween what I think is the best and what you guys think is the best. all your feedback is very welcome.

Last edited by Conrad on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Conrad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:44 am Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

Saturation +20

Pete

Rep: 118.1
votes: 12

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

I reckon the +20 saturation results in a more "consumer pleasing" appearance and reduces the haze. +15 and a touch of contrast will probably be sufficient for my personal taste.
I had to look up Mark Rothko (and I understand why). Search google for "Slow Swirl by the Edge of the Sea" and click on images and anyone will see the problem of accurate colour reproduction  Wink

Dulce Bellum Inexpertis
(War is delightful to those who have no experience of it.)
Our facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/buckandpete/
Our website: https://themodsection.net/

Conrad

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback! 'Slow girl by the edge of the sea' is indeed a nice example of how difficult colour reproduction actually is, aspecially for Mark Rothko this was a nightmare, he was very keen on how his work was being displayed with a certain amount of light.

Even for visual branding it's very importnant for a company to have a consistency in the color of the brand, a slight error could cause people not to choose their product.

Anyway I'll do my best to patch things up.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:19 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

For me the second one with +20 saturation is more pleasing to the eye. The first one gives me the impression that it is autumn and the weather is cloudy. Whereas the second one gives the impression that the action takes place on a sunny day.

stiener

Rep: 46.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:40 am Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

this is all exciting news...but...is the new game going to have all the LSA options like borrowing teams from the stacked BG etc or is it going to be exactly like PITF?

the LSA options rock and are not too complicated as matrix said they were.....come on....

also, is something being done about the way squads and support are picked? PITF was horrible. it needs a better way to pick your support teams and more support teams. in PITF why would you take a HMG when you had to sacrifice a tank to do it.

WHEN THE PIN IS PULLED "MR GRENADE"IS NOT OUR FRIEND !

Miner

Rep: 5.2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

There is an update for Gateway to Caen.        http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3505258

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:36 am Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

The explosions and vehicles look great, but the short view distance and limited unit selection system is not really that appealing.
Great work however, especially the maps.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

@Conrad
I was rereading this old out of interest for our upcoming game and noticed that you mentioned new voice actors, I might be late but are you currently working with them? If so, I was wondering you are going to make separate voice files for the SS units and the Wehrmacht units? In all versions so far the same has been used with the Wehrmacht ranks being shouted out when a squad leader or officer is injured or killed, will there be a voice file with the SS ranks being shouted?
I made a thread about this some time ago but it didn't lead to much, and since you are/were working with voice actors I thought I could ask.

Cathartes

Rep: 101.3
votes: 15

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:22 pm Post subject: Re: don't look for this in 4Q 2013, probably next Q Reply with quote

DoktorPaj wrote (View Post):
@Conrad
I was rereading this old out of interest for our upcoming game and noticed that you mentioned new voice actors, I might be late but are you currently working with them? If so, I was wondering you are going to make separate voice files for the SS units and the Wehrmacht units? In all versions so far the same has been used with the Wehrmacht ranks being shouted out when a squad leader or officer is injured or killed, will there be a voice file with the SS ranks being shouted?
I made a thread about this some time ago but it didn't lead to much, and since you are/were working with voice actors I thought I could ask.

Know this was directed at Conrad, but I'll chime in:
We are working on new German voice files that may be included to refresh the previous voices.  No plans to change the English version of the German voice files.  Also, no distinction between Wehrmacht and SS-- too few Wermacht forces in this specific area--it's over 90% SS with a smattering of Luftwaffe Flak and supporting Wehrmacht tanks.  On the Brit side--definitely some native Scottish accent cues mixed in with past and new British CC cues. Sounds are mostly new and take advantage of some recent, accurately recorded weapon and effects sounds that are out there in the world.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: