Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1220
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
tripwire

Rep: 37.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:57 pm Post subject: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

First day of Basic was yesterday.... temps in the low teens, high 29 degrees fahrenheit.  Wrote first letter to him, today.  My thoughts and prayers are with him.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:17 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Awesome!
I'll trade those temps any day.
Mon. -25 with a wind chill of -48
Tue.-5
Today -7

My thoughts and prayers to your family and son.

He's in good hands.

tripwire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Thank you for your encouragement, platoon_michael.

Yikes!!!  That is truly cold where you are!  Here, in central Florida, we got down to a low of 38 yesterday morning... now its back up to 70.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:51 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Central Florida here also, it was 30 here, so must be a tad more inland myself.

Good luck to your son in his military adventure and I Pray for his safety in his upcoming enlistment.

JS

tripwire

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Yes, on the coast here, johnsilver.  Thank you for your encouragement.  Even though he has entered as a Spec4 and has a position in an Army Band, he must make it through Basic and AIT Music School.  He's never been much for the outdoors like his old man... so its gonna be tough.  He knows I'm pulling for him and I have already mailed off a pep letter.

rufi

Rep: 0.1

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:18 am Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Your son has now a time, he will remember all his live. I'm a litte bit jeaoulus :)

Nice regaards from Bamberg, Germany

tripwire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:12 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind words, rufi.  Smile

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Quote:
He knows I'm pulling for him and I have already mailed off a pep letter.

If he's like I was as a fresh kid right out of HS tripwire? Getting my name called at mailcall during bootcamp was like a God send.. I'd keep those coming for his moral, then that's just me.

My dad (and all males in family except my son) have served in some branch of the military for generations. My dad knew how important those letters were and sent about 1 a week as recall and kept on me when I didn't reply back soon to keep contact. He knew how hard it was (back then) having never been far from home before.

That's just my 2c.

tripwire

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:12 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

John, those are good words of wisdom.  He's been away at school (UNF - Jacksonville) the past three years.  He wasn't motivated enough and was booted from the school of music... even though he'd advanced thru the ensembles.  This is what he thought about doing right out of HS.  Now, he is making a go at it for a career in an Army Band.

Yup, I picked up on the feelings from him the few weeks before he shipped.  Before he was quick to hide his feelings.  He'll do okay, but the letters will help.

Thanks, buddy!

tripwire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:21 am Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

My boy (foreground with glasses) on day 2:

Mark-day2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.87 KB
 Viewed:  413 Time(s)

Mark-day2.jpg

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:36 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Good-looking boy. Yeah I remember those days at Basic and every letter was as good as GOLD. I remember that some guys seem to get letters almost every day and I was lucky to get one a week. My dad's younger brother was the one I could count on the most to get a letter to me. Before I went my brother told me that they would mess with my head. Wasn't sure at the time what he meant; learned later.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

tripwire

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Thank you for your encouragement, Schmal_Turm.

Even though I know that he might not get mail in a timely manner, I have been writing a short letter with up-beat stories every day since he arrived at his training company.  I knew it would be tough on his Mom and me... but they have either a Chaplain or someone else follow them around, take photos and post to Army facebook pages, now.  It is somewhat of a relief to see what the SITs are doing.  Its not like the 'old' days I guess.

Last edited by tripwire on Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

tripwire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

He's through Basic Rifle Qualification and recently started the Night Infiltration Course.

1st Platoon - Renegades.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  129.43 KB
 Viewed:  392 Time(s)

1st Platoon - Renegades.jpg

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:29 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

My Son just passed his driving Test today.

He is now officially free to roam the US/Canada/Mexico at will
He has an Awesome vehicle to do it with too.
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee with kick ass new tires on it.

tripwire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:16 pm Post subject: Re: My Son just started US Army Basic Training Reply with quote

Well, I've been remiss in posting any updates.  My son has passed BCT and also the 10-week AIT at the Army School of Music.  His first posting is Fort Riley Kansas and he has marched in his first off-base parade.  He is enjoying the work and has already advanced into a Jazz group as lead trumpet.

7 - Mark marching with 1st INF Band.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.28 KB
 Viewed:  365 Time(s)

7 - Mark marching with 1st INF Band.jpg

Companies.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  51.34 KB
 Viewed:  346 Time(s)

Companies.jpg

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: