Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
Stwa

Rep: 308.9
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:57 am Post subject: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

The Battle of the Bulge is my personal favorite when it comes to CC.

And since mooxe and platoon_michael are duking it out in their own CC4 campaign, I just had to jump in myself, and prove I still had what it takes to crush the AI.  Laughing

Here is Stoumont in 3 different versions. Each map has been cutdown to a square of 288 meters on each side, the smallest map CCMT will allow.

For SP, this map is a ton of fun, like most CC4 maps.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:09 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Playing on these maps is absolutely the best CC experience I have ever had. They are small, but they easily handle 15 teams per side. You can use vehicles, and guns, and what ever you want. The game will play out in about 30 minutes. I use NO [TIME] LIMIT in my games. I like that alot better. Just in case I need to go to the kitchen and fetch something to drink.  Wink

Provided, the AI has sufficient training and experience, it will attack like a mindless robot. Sometimes, I just sit back and absorb the attack, then once it has expended itself, I will counter attack and take back the VL's.

Plus, you don't have to spend the first 20 minutes of the battle moving your guys all over a map that is just too large for this system.

Good column rules also help. In my games, the first two columns are for infantry teams and command teams only. The third column is for support teams like vehicles, guns, snipers, bazookas, flame throwers, medium and heavy machine guns, and mortars. You and the AI, cannot use more than 2 of any kind of support team. So for example, no more than 2 vechicles, etc. for each side.

Notice that I have used 7 VLs on this map to be sure the AI stays on the move trying to capture the VLs. If I used a 24x24 map, it would have 4 times the area, and would require 28 VLs, which would be difficult to do, since the game only allows 16 VLs total.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

For me, the column rules do a great deal to insure that play is balanced against the AI. Also, I am lucky that I use CCMT, since its rules also insure that the Human Player cannot simply rush its force all over the map taking total advantage of the AI.

These rules also help to insure that the support teams don't immediately open fire on each other the second you hit begin, and I believe they strike the correct balance of supports vs infantry.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Here is Assenois in 3 different versions. Each map has been cutdown to a square of 312 meters on each side.

I have probably fought more battles on this map than any other, since it is at the top of the list.  Laughing

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 1:39 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Some of Yuma's maps are totally woodsie. No one can see squat on these maps. You can get away with using AT guns, but they are bound to be less effective. Vehicles are not much better, but they can at least move around.

The battles that result can be outrageous and fun. The idea is to not be ambushed. Good luck!

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:51 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Here is Stavelot in 3 different versions. Each map has been cutdown to a square of 336 meters on each side.

Like the other maps, operating tanks in Stavelot is a royal pain. You might be able to park one across the river. Generally I match M-10s against Panzer IVs or Panzer Vs.

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:19 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

This map is a real blast, and is slighty larger than Stoumont or Assenois.

Here a Panther takes out a M-10 with a frontal shot.   Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Of course, I could just play CC4 Classic (CC4C), and then I wouldn't have to cutdown the maps. It's a free mod that comes with WaR.

But I haven't figured out what I need to do to unlock the battlegroups. But, I haven't tried too hard either.  

Here is Assenois again.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:48 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Hey all,

Someone in one of the other threads wanted to see my German rank insignia. I use modern insignia for the WW2 Tactics mod and the American and German insignia is what came with Modern Tactics.

That being said I have made many versions for the Germans over time. Rank insignia is not my strong suit if you know what I mean.

That being said, these insignia do look somewhat pixelated, but when I try to blend them they always come out too blurry. So, if anyone knows a method to blend them without making them blur, please let me know.

Here are the German rank icons. The icons with the "b" at the end of the name (like SCRN.GE.6b) are the blended ones. Usually, I prefer some pixelated look over a blurred look.  Arrow

Last edited by Stwa on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:05 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

At 14x14 deployment tiles square, Hotton is still classified as a small map. You wouldn't know it by using it. It seems huge, and is a lot of fun. Usually, I deploy both the Americans and Germans on both sides of the river. It can get crazy that way.

OMG  Exclamation  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:56 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

This is CC4 La Gleize Cercle. Fortunately, I don't think the Americans can hear my tank.

I got in alot of action over the weekend. That is the neat thing about Single Player.

And if you want the game to be more balanced. Let the AI be the Germans with plenty of heavy tanks, and you take Americans with Scout cars and half tracks.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

In CC4C, La Gleize Cercle and La Gleize are all just one beeg map. I take the Americans, as I suggested in the last post, and I am screwed right from the start. The system took the pleasure of putting some of my guys in a trench less than 100 meters of the German tank column. They died to a man in about 10 seconds.

The main thing with the classics, even infantry shoot-outs take no time at all. I guess they want the thing done in 10 minutes or less.  Laughing

Its fun, but I swear the battle didn't take 45 seconds to play out. Once you hit BEGIN, everything goes wild with shooting.  Laughing

The German tanks do a good job pathing, and they knew better than to take the main road through the town. There were just a few minor incidents of vehicle magnatism, but no spinning whatsoever.

I tried to put my main defense at the circle.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:04 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Well, its over.  Exclamation

I am gonna have to get better, I am 0 for 2. First I get my clock cleaned at Assenois, when all my tanks were destroyed before they had a chance to move.  Laughing

Then at La Gleize, I lose 5 teams (no tanks) in the space of about 20 seconds. The German tanks raced across the map, destroying everything in their path, and the system decided that my FORCE MORALE SUCKED.  Exclamation  Idea

YA THINK  Question

And another thing, the game actually ended when I was trying to save one of the screenshots from the last post. It seems advancing technology has decided that when you minimize the game ... IT KEEPS RUNNING ...  Laughing

That really sucks, because the chances of me needing to take a leak during game play is almost certain.  Shocked

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:52 am Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

But, no matter how butt ugly the UI, it starts to "grow" on you over time. After each game, your brain stops registering the details and associates them as good because when you play the game, it receives a "fun" signal. It's kinda like the same signal your brain receives every time you eat a steak.

I have noticed that with other games in the past.

Here is CC4C Assenois again. It looks like a tank gaggle, but really it's not. The vehicles all took off down the road (something the Germans avoided at La Gleize above). The German Panther is picking them off one by one, and what you are seeing is panic and fear.

One American Heavy tank breaks away, but can't get a shot on the Panther because of the buildings.

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

And I made some progress on the German Rank Insignia. I went back to the filter I have been using to clean the edges up and changed the parameters and I suppose I can use these. They do look somewhat dull (not blurry) compared to the American rank insignia that came with Modern tactics.

In WW2 Tactics there is only one uniform style and one set of rank insignia for each "nation" - ARMY and OPFOR. You can have more than one, but I wanted to do it this way.

Check them out.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:58 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Here is CC4X Margaret, the woodsie version from Yuma. It is an awesome map. You can get a few tanks in. I also have the CC4 and CC4W (WaR) version. What changes is just the amount and types of vegetation on each map.  Arrow

I could play these maps 24x7. Margaret is just 13x13 but game play does not seem restricted at all.

Gosh, I wish someone would tell me how to unlock the CC4 Classic battlegroups.  Laughing

Stwa

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

Here is CC4C Margaret. It is somewhat larger than my cutdown versions, but still a fine map indeed.

This time I outnumber the Germans with twice as many tanks.

This time the shooting does not start immediately after I hit BEGIN.

This time I advance quickly across the map.

This time I get totally wasted, just like the other battles.

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:40 am Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

I must be getting more used to the UI, and it is looking better and better to me.  Laughing

So, I started making a few changes.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:02 am Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

One other quick change was needed.  Arrow

Stwa

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:17 am Post subject: Re: CC4 Bulge Action Reply with quote

I still need to mod a few strat patches that are not quite correct. For instance CCA 10 is CCA 2. Should be an easy fix. And there are a handful of others. I will just get around to those in time.

But this error I am not sure what to do, so maybe someone can advise. It seems there are some xtra AT Car entries in Peipers group?  Arrow

Anyway, it all was worth it. So far fixes didn't take any time at all, and it plays and looks alot better than reg CC4.  Exclamation

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Modern Tactics
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: