Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
slipper

Rep: 44.3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:21 pm Post subject: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advice Reply with quote

I know this question has been asked a few times but what are the options to get a tough game against the AI please? I have Pitf, WaR, LSA, TLD, CoI.

I have tried some vet mods, and i am not knocking them in anyway, but they either seem to consist of larger squad sizes or of an AI that attacks at every opportunity. The first results in just a game of attrition whilst the second means that enemy squads keep attacking my dug in troop across open ground with no tactics or anything.

Can someone explain how AI mods change the game please? Is there any documentation on what to do to edit teams and what are the best settings?

I have some of the mod packs like Kharkov, Meuse etc, do they come with inbuilt adjusted AI? What do you recommend

Are there more subtle ways to get a good experience? maybe just increasing enemy individual body armour etc.

Are there any external rules that anyone follows like roll dice for options, fixed forcepools, fixed team costs.

Thanks for any help

slipper

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:55 pm Post subject: Re: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advic Reply with quote

I personally like to play line historical settings. I don't really like mods a whole lot because historical settings are changed like the power of guns and tanks to having an m18 hellcat in normandy invasion just would never happen. Matrix does a pretty near close job to keeping things historically accurate and the years that equipment was made and brought into war etc.

The toughest you can do without mods for example on pitf is to tick for the enemies side always see enemy, never act on initiative, always see full enemy info, always obey orders. And leave them all unticked for your side this would be a nightmare for your teams. You don't have to tick all of them just try 1 or 2 even to maker ai little stronger.

I got this from the manual

REALISM SETTINGS
Below the Difficulty Level indicators are the Realism Settings. You can change the indicators by
clicking in the adjacent check-boxes.

Always See Enemy: A side with this option set knows where the enemy is at all times. This can
be a useful option for new players as they learn the game.

Never Act On Own Initiative: Your soldiers never do anything unless they are ordered to. If this
option is not set, a unit may decide to advance or retreat on its own if it is left idle for a long
time.

Always See Full Enemy Info: The player always has access to full and accurate toolbar
information of enemy units with this selected. This does not extend to Soldier Monitor
information.

Always Obey Orders: This option disables most of the soldier psychological model in the game,
causing soldiers to ignore enemy fire or new threats as they carry out their orders. They also will not act on their own initiative.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:18 am Post subject: Re: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advic Reply with quote

I always accept the Truce the AI offers.

Salhexe would be your best bet on advice for editing the game,but I haven't seen him around in awhile.
You could download one of his Mods and compare the Data to the original game.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:57 am Post subject: Re: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advic Reply with quote

There's really nothing you can do to make it better. You basically have to cripple yourself somehow in game (points, default deploy, accept default forcepool), and hand the AI every single possible opportunity to have the upper hand. It takes all the fun out of it when you take these steps. Even then you will eventually learn to adapt to your own ways and overcome the AI.

If you want the breath taking, heart stopping, tweak zone, ultra focused effect this game can give, you have to play online. The feeling you get playing "I" vice "AI" is like night and day, its a completely different game vs another person, the way this was meant to be played. It cannot be simulated. Thats my advice!

slipper

Rep: 44.3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:34 am Post subject: Re: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advic Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips all

vobbnobb

I didn't realise that about the realisim settings, thanks mate i thought it only applied to Human players and that the AI always acted the same

platoon_michael

Yes i also except the truce to, bring a bit of uncertainty to the game, i have most of salhexes mods thanks can't seem to find anything about adjusting the SAI though, the bit that decides if they are agressive or not.

mooxe

Thanks, yes i am sure your right, but i simply do not have regular time to be able to play or organise a game, i just catch a game as and when i can.

Heres some posts i have looked at and taken part in before which may help, the first is about die rolling

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3385&highlight=

it gives some advice on how you may set up a system to give you different teams etc. I have not made one for myself yet but there are some possibilities

the second is one i made a while ago on the same subject

http://www.closecombatseries.net/CCS/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8819&highlight=

would be interested to hear anymore info or suggestions anyone has.

cheers

slipper

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:42 am Post subject: Re: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advic Reply with quote

Put the AI on Recruit, you on Elite. If you haven't already, do this. This will give the AI more units, and you fewer, making for a tougher game.

Always play as the attacker. The AI sucks on the attack, but is ok on the defense, so always pick the side that is attacking. This has the obvious downside that you might fancy being the defender or playing as a particular side because you want to and you can't, but at least it will make the game slightly harder.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

southern_land

Rep: 155.2
votes: 14

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:31 am Post subject: Re: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advic Reply with quote

COI finn or real Romainian mods

Hetser

Rep: 23.7

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:55 am Post subject: Re: singleplayer against AI. What are the best mods or advic Reply with quote

If you want a tough fight head over to the PitF (Slitherine Lobby). You'll see MIKEBRUNO on at about 7PM Eastern Standard (New York) time. Post a chat message to him or leave your email addy in the lobby message screen. He's looking for someone to fight during the day time.
There are a few other strong regulars on at that time, and random times.
Surprisingly there is a player in China who does real well. Better than me.

I wouldn't play the suicidal AI unless you just want to get familiar with the maps.  The AI just doesn't have the reflexes or intelligent reactions a human has. (With the exception of line-of-sight, it does that with a grim efficiency only a machine can, it will take a shot that we would never see in the tiny window that a target presents when on the move. A target can be visiblle for a half-second and we would never know it.

Now if they ported a chess engine to Close Combat, I would be really  worried.  Anyhow, by keeping the AI mediocre, they sell twice as many games and you wouldnt have these forums (slight sarcasm there).
Cheerio
williamfelixbradley(atsign)gmail.com
aka
Hetser

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: