Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1213
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
__Creeper__

Rep: 54.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:37 pm Post subject: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

I got to looking at the later 2 renditions (PitF & GtC) of the game and they still can't bring it all together. I liked how Panthers in the fog offered 21 teams, but with such small infantry teams it cancels out, and as a result I see it as a game with maps too large for the Battle Group scale.

I put my hopes in Gateway to Caen but it looks like they've gone back to the original 15 slots. CCV had the right map/force size ratio. A very important factor IMO.

Guess I'm still waitin for "the one".

Anyone still on gamespy Laughing  I reinstalled CCVIN. Too bad I can't remember how to edit the .exe for my disk driveless computer.

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:52 pm Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

I thought the pitf maps were too large too.  I was wrong. I was loosing alot of shermans and hated the game, but then I read some sherman strategies online and found what they did to beat panthers and other armor bakc then, tried it in the game and was amazed it worked. Others just gave up one the allies side and played axis constantly because of it. What I did was increased my battle time to more than 15 minute battles to 30-60 minutes  in settings I also turned on the end battle when force moral too low tick box. This gave me a huge plus in playing factor and was way more fun than the 15. With small infantry teams you can combine them so you can have stuff like bazooka teams running with an mg in battle. on recruit line or veteran setting there is more per team.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:37 pm Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Creeper install the 5.01 patch, no CDROM required (I think!). Gamespy closed, were mostly on GameRanger now.

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:10 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

I think what they should do is to make small to medium size maps and add a higher total number of maps for the strategic phase. Especially for single player where the battles often (at least for me) are fought in a smaller area near the edge of the map due to a slow AI. It is not very useful to have a huge map if the AI won't exploit it. Although it must be fun in h2h where an intelligent player can advance/fall back and push through all  of the map.

__Creeper__

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:10 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Tried the patch. CD ROM required. I seam to remember there was some simple hex value change you had to make to the .exe

My scroll speed is off the charts. I touch the edge of the screen and it jumps instantly to the opposite side of the map. I remember others complaining of this but never experienced it on the old PC.

Bungarra

Rep: 137.6
votes: 5

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:01 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Creeper...  you may know this .. in the options menu there is a scroll speed selector... fast, medium, slow.

also most of these games were made with a historical context in mind.. sometimes we may not like it.. but a good general will nut it out  Wink

& vobbnob.. like you say I find the longer times more enjoyable... not rushing things. Planning & compensating for an encountered threat

I have most of the series except PITF..  But TLD with Drizzts Kharkov... Battle for Caen.. the remake of Gold Sword Juno (made by excellent modders whos names escape my brain) Tzjeds.. Meuse crossing is another.. you have potentially years of enjoyment

If you have WAR try Platoon Michaels.. Stock mod... to me Close Combat is far from dead & I can see myself playing it till I'm toes up..

Cheers.... Bungarra

__Creeper__

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:09 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Scroll speed doesn't work, it's somehow tied to processor speed or something.

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 3:24 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Bungarra wrote (View Post):

& vobbnob.. like you say I find the longer times more enjoyable... not rushing things. Planning & compensating for an encountered threat

@ creeper probably true, Use arrow keys to scroll, it slows it down or just click on mini map where you want to go, mine is also jumpy. Exactly I'm playing "Battle Royal" now on PITF in the campaigns tab, All I do is sneak along carefully and plan carefully like you say, I ambush near buildings, pop smoke cover for my troops, etc and the medals are flying in. I don't have any cheats on because I like the challenge and strategies

did this tonight

wond.jpg
 Description:
Loved this map. Axis wanted church so bad, they got my infantry guy from the bell tower. I had M8's and 50 cals throwing HEs and lead all over it and let them run up and capture it.
 Filesize:  353.75 KB
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

wond.jpg

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Hetser

Rep: 23.7

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:19 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

There used to be a small program called "CPU kill" that would let you play older CC games with reasonable mouse speeds.

Surely someone else has cured this problem in a better way by now?

mooxe

Rep: 221.7
votes: 25

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:37 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Well there is a NoCD patch in the misc CC5 downloads. I just don't know if its patched to 5.01 or not off the top of my head.

There are CPU killers out there to help but usually Windows compatibility modes are sufficient after selecting slow scroll speed.

Hetser

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:51 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Evening Mooxe

Really keen to see you play the PitF maps and vid them over to TIK's  Closecombatfanatics site.

(I've been PitF Allies inasmuch as I find the Huns to have just TOO much advantage, and that won't do if I am going to  learn anything.)

Playing LSA against Steiner taught me a lot, but he's busy with the Gateway to Caen to do much mentoring.

Cheerio!

__Creeper__

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:59 pm Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

I know this is going way back, but I'd just like to say I was messing around with CCV today and trying to solve a new problem that didn't used to exist on my current PC, when I accidentally solved the scroll speed problem. I know it's not the Windows Compatibility thing as that's the first thing anyone tries and I've tried it one million times If I've tried it once, and every which way.

All I did was right click on the CCV.exe process in the control manager and turn off/disable UAC virtualization. (btw spell check says virtualization is miss spelled)

The next time I launched the game, to my surprise, mouse scroll was at a normal speed.

Anyway the new problem I was trying to solve is that the game appears to play at about 1 frame/5seconds, and clickable menu's don't appear in combat, everything else appears to work normally, the battle rages on and I can move my troops and stuff, but can't actually see any of the menu's that you would click on to order them, just gotta know from memory where they are and stab in the dark. Weird, if anyone knows anything about this slideshow, please help.

Hetser

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 12:17 am Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

At Closecombat.org    there is a post by Ernie_M:

"...
Slow down New computers

Postby Ernie_M » Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:43 pm
Lately I've be reading were people are having scrolling
problems while playing the Close Combat series games on
newer computers.

For years, I ran CC2, 4 and 5 on a standard 233mhz Pentium
with 48 mb of ram using a 16mb Voodoo Banshee video card.
All the versions worked fine in every way with this machine.

As everyone is aware, these games were developed in the
97-2000 time frame, taking into account the hardware of
the times. So this old Pentium was perfect for Close Combat.

I recently acquired a new 3.1mhz Pentium 4 and was at first
happy with the fast loading of CC4. My happiness faded when
in starting the game, the scrolling was so fast, the game
was virtually unplayable. Fortunetly, I had this program
called TurboDown. It works WITHIN Windows and as the name
implies, has the ability to slow down a fast machines and
stop the "Wild" scrolling WITHOUT affecting game play.

Problem solved and no need to mess around in the machine
BIOS to slow down the computer!

D#c%

The program was developed in 97' and works with 95, 98se,
NT and Me. Not sure about Xp or Vista.

Description:
Freeware

Turbo Down is a software "Turbo Switch".
You may set the effective CPU speed anywhere from 1 to 100%
of full speed. All programs will execute at the reduced CPU
speed set by Turbo. It is useful for programs that to be
slowed down to run on a faster CPU than originally intended.

Notes:

- Requires Intel CPU (Sorry, AMD Guys).

- One minor issue, the program does increase CPU temp.
about 10 degrees F. This shouldn't be a concern with a good
box and proper cooling...Try it, it may work for you.

Ernie_M
   Unteroffizier
   Unteroffizier

Like / Share CSO - Post

__Creeper__

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:08 pm Post subject: Re: Still stringing me along Reply with quote

Not necessary to slow down your PC.  

While the next time I tried to launch the game, the UAC virtualization option was greyed out and couldn't be turned on or off in the task manager leaving me with lightning fast scroll speed again, I did find yet another method that works, this time it seams reliable.

I tried running Close Combat V with Sandboxie. Even if I select "Run outside of Sandbox" with that program, it still gives me normal scroll speed, and nothing to do with my processor speeds.

One thing I've noticed is that when the game has the Windows shield Logo showing stamped on the CCV image in the Task bar, the scroll speed is nuts. But when you manage to launch the game without that Shield logo it's fine even without Sandboxie. So you've gotta have it running without administrator ... maybe? I haven't got it figured out 100% yet, but one thing is for sure, its not necessary to slow down your CPU clocks.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess

Jump to: