Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Author
mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):
co-op game mode means either 1-2 or more players on one team vs 1-2 or more on the opposing team. 2 players on same team vs 1 elite ai player on ai would be neat aslo

It would be neat but would get very old. Unless the AI is good, then there could be a challenge.

Troger

Rep: 17.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Not at all what I was expecting.  I have to agree with the article's opening: "Slitherine’s new 3D Close Combat looks just like the old 2D Close Combat. And thank goodness for that."  I really thought it would be a monstrosity, but it's a more of a modern-looking CC game.  I always thought Men of War could be scaled to give the perfect vantage point, the Blitzkrieg engine (Great Battles Of WW2: Stalingrad) also, but this might be better.

Given that this is a new game (at least its programming), I'd expect there to be no vehicle pathfinding issues--they really won't have an excuse if it isn't perfect.  And the importance of a robust multiplayer experience--allowing for more than 2 players per game, allowing direct connect, and not restricting it to a in-game lobby--is where they should focus their effort. Multiplayer is what will keep the game alive.  

And who is Iain McNeil again?  That name sounds familiar.

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:02 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

I think if you look back you'll find that not to much effort was ever really put into Vehicle graphics.
Always seemed to me a few would look really cool but then the bulk of them were really plain.
I can deal with that.
I'm also not worried too much about the new Sprites,I really gave them no thought till now but thier OK.
I do however hope that the animation is Great.

I agree with Troger....Vehicle Movement is Critical!

Then LOS..I read it will be better depicted with the new game,I hope the next screen shots show it.
I'm very curious as to how hills look.Please,Please,Please NO More Pointed Hills. Please.

The current plan is that there are two camera mods - straight down and angled view. It's not often that a unit will be behind something since the camera angle is pretty steep, but you can switch to straight-down view to see behind anything. You won't be able to rotate the camera, but you can zoom in and out to any arbitrary height between a set min and max.

Steve

I actually like this idea.
No sense in me pissing me off because I have too many options for viewing and end up trying them all during Battle.

Last edited by platoon_michael on Mon May 19, 2014 4:19 am; edited 1 time in total

Pzt_Kanov

Rep: 14.2
votes: 9

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:19 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

I always thought that the vehicles from mods were a LOT better than stock ones.

I appreciate the effort but you guys always surpassed the developers IMO.

Now for another detail on the screens, I dont know if its me but it seems infantry can move in line too as opposed to column only. I hope there's more practical and well thought out commands to give to troops.

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:37 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Check out the group button on the lower left wonder what's thats for? Wonder if the allies used naval barrages as well here don't see the icon maybe too far inland. I see they added ranks to stuff groups, cool.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:58 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

As far as the artwork, I can hang this on my wall. Looks like a true summer road in the country on a hot day

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 6:19 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):
I see they added ranks to stuff groups, cool.

Nice catch vobbnobb, seems they added variety to the types of soldiers too. Maybe there's a whole bunch of them like in CCMT.

Last edited by Pzt_Kanov on Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:18 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Oh and of course one of the most important things is simple moddability!  I don't remember exactly, but they were gonna release a map editor (graphical aspects and map coding) and a scenario editor (unit aspects, team size, variety etc.) with the game as well?

It would especially be nice for people like me who don't have any experience in painting and coding maps. With the editors anyone could easily make their own maps by combining stock graphical elements and then build their own scenarios.

Could anyone enlighten me whether they are already woking on this? If not, maybe we should voice it to the developers. After all, CCS is the *COMMUNITY*!  ;)

P.S. Imagine putting a lonely little tree over there, and then put a warm little hut next to it so it is not alone anymore, a la Bobb Ross. Then imagine that all these things *burn* after ordering 12cm mortar fire! Very Happy

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 9:14 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Like Pzt_Kanov said about troop orders, I hope we can get special orders for tanks as well. Like ordering them to engage certain targets only, for example to order them to disregard infantry and wait for enemy tanks to appear. Usually when infantry appears tanks will fire at them and load HE rounds instead of AT rounds, giving the enemy armor that often follows the infantry an advantage since my tank will have to reload or fire the HE round at the tank.
Another good thing would be to make several vehicles/squads move in formations. As of now I have to specifically order my troops to regroup in a formation and then set them on the move, it would be great if I had the order option to form a vee formation or to go in a column.

DAK_Legion

Rep: 86.3
votes: 20

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 11:12 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

CSO_McNeil maybe?

heia Safari!!

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 2:07 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Quote:
As always,  a decent AI is the most crucial thing, which has lacked from previous games. I would certainly care less about graphics and more about AI and a solid (i.e. bug-free) multiplayer aspect.

I would surprise if it has not a decent IA, even if it looks as a CC, it uses a complete new engine.

Quote:

Also noticed in the screens that the roof is not disappearing when a unit is inside.

Is there units into buildings?

Quote:

The Shermans do look like the same Shermans you would get in a bag of green plastic army men but I am sure they are going to be adding more detail.

I feel how there will be many things which they can be improved. With the tanks or uniforms, people can edit the textures from them.

Quote:
Oh and of course one of the most important things is simple moddability!  I don't remember exactly, but they were gonna release a map editor (graphical aspects and map coding) and a scenario editor (unit aspects, team size, variety etc.) with the game as well?

We know how there will be a complete map editor, not the poor scenario editor from the CC, it will be a map editor where you can make your own maps, even more, if it is true, you can export images from it at bmp format and perhaps to use it at previous versions from CC.

Data and textures can be edited but we are not sure about the 3D models, Steve told how perhaps it was not possible at a first version. I would like that it was possible because it is very important for mod the game.

I do not speak about theory, I have taken this information from all the real comments about the game.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 3:39 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Firefox, if you look closely on the second image you posted, you can see there's a pzgrenadiere unit inside the house on the north-east corner, where the soldier monitor is showing info on a tank crew. You only see the icon of the team but not the team itself sticking out the windows.

Sapa

Rep: 76.3
votes: 8

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

I can see the girls running!  Very Happy

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

From Matrix forums...

No multistory buildings for TBF, maybe in future versions though.

Pzt_Kanov

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Like CC1 then.

I'm not sure how to take the line "Damage to buildings is similar to old-style CC". Don't 3D allows for better damage models? like houses can actually fall apart if suffering enough damage for example?

Does this means that damage isn't done realistically but parts of the model replaced by "damage" textures when hit by a shell?

Last edited by Pzt_Kanov on Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2014 8:12 pm Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Just got to wondering,I hope their idea of a map editor isn't 5CC?
I also hope that if its a new map editor that it will be compatible with hopeful future versions.

AND

Gosh could it be backwards compatible?

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 2:25 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

If they are going back to CC1 for things the maps and map editor could use tiles like the original game???

dj

Rep: 157.1

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:06 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Yes it is a good thing that Next Gen has similar look as CC2.  Although larger maps will create issues again with A.I. gameplay & vehicle movement.  Glad it has a quasi-3D look to keep the scale more realistic.  It would be a mistake to change the scale much.  I think the soldiers need new modeling and slightly larger scale.  Maps look good...should be some tough battles in Sicily before the Germans retreated back to mainland Italy.

Nomada_Firefox

Rep: 32.9

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2014 4:52 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Pzt_Kanov wrote (View Post):
Firefox, if you look closely on the second image you posted, you can see there's a pzgrenadiere unit inside the house on the north-east corner, where the soldier monitor is showing info on a tank crew. You only see the icon of the team but not the team itself sticking out the windows.

Yep but never you can see what is doing the other side, the player from the screenshots were playing with americans and not the germans.

People, you are forgeting how things run at CC.;)

Quote:
No multistory buildings for TBF, maybe in future versions though.

Do you know what is a multistory building?
Quote:
A multi storey building is a structure that has multiple floors above ground in the building.

This is not too important.

About damage at buildings, Steve is clear.
Quote:
Damage to buildings is similar to old-stype CC. You blow a hole in the wall of the building and a pile of rubble falls to the ground.

Quote:
If they are going back to CC1 for things the maps and map editor could use tiles like the original game???

I would surprised if it does not use tiles, all the 3D map editos uses it. They load tiles of textures.
Quote:
Just got to wondering,I hope their idea of a map editor isn't 5CC?

5CC is not a map editor. It is a editor from the code elements in a map. At this case, they are speaking from a map editor where you can paint a tree, a building or anything from the terrain.

I do not think that you need edit the code elements from maps from because each piece of the map has a code probably and a tree is a real model.

At other point, replace the textures from maps for snow maps or vehicles with snow, it should be very difficult.

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:44 am Post subject: Re: First Screens! Reply with quote

Figured we might as well keep this thread what it's about.

Screenshots.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat The Bloody First
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jump to: