Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Author
stiener

Rep: 46.4
votes: 3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

tejszd.......i know that in LSA when you change the difficulty level from say line to recruit that the german static BG's troop type changes. in this case you get more troops in there static BG and you get diff types of units in the BG.
EX: on line you would have 2 lmg squads. on recruit you would have 2 lmg squads and a HMG squad.

dont know if were talking the same thing tho with the dificulty level?

WHEN THE PIN IS PULLED "MR GRENADE"IS NOT OUR FRIEND !

TheImperatorKnight

Rep: 30.4
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:02 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

stiener wrote (View Post):
i sure wish matrix would actually listen to us when we have issues and ideas for improvments. what a bunch of wankers. every new CC seems to be a disapointment in some area.
that statement has a lot of truth to it...and others in this community will agree with it.

In fairness to Matrix, the issue is that every CC player wants something different. Most want "a better AI" but beyond that, there's no coherence in what players want.

Some players want to pick individual units, but others like the platoon system.

Some players complained that GWTC's maps looked worse than PITF's maps, others preferred them.

Some players feel that MG42's are overpowered, but others think they're realistic.

Some players want 3D, others want to keep the 2D system (even though that's what most people complained about on Steam, the fact we're still using the same old engine).

They can't win!

Take me for example. I'm really looking forwards to The Bloody First for several reasons, but partly because I can't stand the province strategic system in its current form. (What is this, Risk?? Every unit moves the same speed!? Why can't we have something more dynamic like in Achtung Panzer or Panzer Corps???) But I know others love the province system and are disappointed in The Bloody First.

I personally think they did a decent job of GWTC. It's much better than PITF, and probably one of Matrix's best CC game, if not the best. Sure, it has its poor AI and a lot of multiplayer crashes, but I'm surprised to hear that so many people here are so disappointed with it. Yes there's bugs and crashes, but these can be ironed out, or could have been ironed out if beta testers had commented more (what johnsilver said). Otherwise, I'm having a lot of fun with it, to the point I haven't played any other CC since I finished my CC5 Stalingrad LP and I even went ahead and created my first CC mod for it too.

To say Matrix messed up in the past, fine I get that. But they didn't mess up with GWTC.

I have a Close Combat Youtube Channel

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

platoon_michael

Rep: 47.6
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:17 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Ahhhh,yes they did mess up GWTC

Go read my thread about all the non working in-game combat info that they messed up.

stiener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

a good comment TIK but i still want my tank or gun to be able to hit that building with its 1st shot at 100m.
this accuracy thing worked fine up until LSA and now they cant fix or wont fix it. SAD.

platoon michael is also correct....his post is spot on.

Last edited by stiener on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total

mooxe

Rep: 221.1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

They never carried on with the best features, or the most wanted features. Changes seemed random and arbitrary. Good features were never improved. Seven years ago CCMT came out. You could have an 8 player game and it had the most useful scenario editor. This was never improved upon, or included in any other versions, and they took direct connection taken out as well.

GWTC is just another version or mod of CC. It is in no way innovative and offers no real game play difference than what we had in 1999. Most changes are cosmetic. So for the guys who have been in the community for a long time, these re-releases are very frustrating.

stiener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:22 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

that was very well said Mooxe...thanks. Very frustrating i agree.

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

platoon_michael wrote (View Post):
Ahhhh,yes they did mess up GWTC

Go read my thread about all the non working in-game combat info that they messed up.

Sounds interesting. I'll have a read  Very Happy

a good comment TIK but i still want my tank or gun to be able to hit that building with its 1st shot at 100m.
this accuracy thing worked fine up until LSA and now they cant fix or wont fix it. SAD.

Yes, that is annoying. I'm sure there's a reason behind it. Even so, could be fixed in a patch? Maybe if we made a comment on Matrix's forums asking them politely for it to be fixed, and enough of us said it, they'd take notice and do something about it. The problem is that, like I said above, if you "fixed" this issue, other players would complain that "tanks hit their target every time - OMG they're too overpowered, how come you changed it to this!?"

mooxe wrote (View Post):

They never carried on with the best features, or the most wanted features. Changes seemed random and arbitrary. Good features were never improved. Seven years ago CCMT came out. You could have an 8 player game and it had the most useful scenario editor. This was never improved upon, or included in any other versions, and they took direct connection taken out as well.

GWTC is just another version or mod of CC. It is in no way innovative and offers no real game play difference than what we had in 1999. Most changes are cosmetic. So for the guys who have been in the community for a long time, these re-releases are very frustrating.

To be fair to Matrix, nobody plays CCMT (except Stwa). From their point of view, they probably drew the wrong conclusions based on their sales or experience with that game. (If no one's buying it, maybe they don't want 8 players in a game. Maybe they don't want a decent scenario editor. They certainly don't want a modern-warfare type game etc)

I absolutely agree that GWTC is basically a mod. A good mod, but a mod nonetheless. That's why I'm looking forwards to The Bloody First, which will hopefully not feel like a mod (or be a complete disaster)

My Small Maps Mod for Close Combat: Gateway to Caen. Install guide and discussion
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

stiener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

TIK...we did ask and we did beg.. [ see the many other posts at matrix and here at CCS ] ....and the answer was no  Mad  but im all in favour of asking again...perhaps you can start a post at matrix and ill chime in  Cool

TheImperatorKnight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:48 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

TIK...we did ask and we did beg.. [ see the many other posts at matrix and here at CCS ] ....and the answer was no  Mad  but im all in favour of asking again...perhaps you can start a post at matrix and ill chime in  Cool

Yes, I see that you did. But like I said, some people commented and said that it was "a matter of taste". http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3651754

You begged for a change, and others said they didn't need it. What would Matrix do? Change it to appease you? What about the people who said no?

This is what I'm saying, they're in a tough position where they can't please everyone. Every change they make is met by opposition. There's no coherence among the community, so I don't blame them for not changing the gun accuracy, even though I agree with you.

stiener

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:09 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

TIK......only nomada firefox disagree'd with the accuracy issue at that thread. i still say that the majority of people that posted at that thread and at other threads at matrix and at CCS dont like the lack of accuracey. but matrix isnt counting people for or against. they have a scan ...as ian said in his reply.. and make a judgement based on i dont no what??? one freakin person that said i dont mind lack of accuracy??? come on!

CC...its supposed to be a PLAYIBLE GAME with a reasonable amount of historical accuracy. tanks and guns not hitting a house at 100 m is not even close to historical accuracy or even reasonable playiblity. AND this wasnt an issue until LSA! some of us have been pointing this out to matrix during and since LSA....to deaf ears because the minority of players think its a matter of taste??? REALLY?

IMO there not pleasing anyone per say. there only pleasing a few players who post and pissing off the majority of players who actually post. MOST players do not post...so do we ass ume that there all ok with this? not so. most players that i have talked to over the years...get pissed over the stuff that doesnt work...drop CC all together and move on to something else.

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:59 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Funny discussion actually, you can fix most of the problems mentioned with EXcel Smile.

CC5 actually has the worst data in all CCs.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Yes, we have been discussing which features to take and which ones to drop in the series for more than a decade on this forum! If I were the developers, I would really take into account the feedback and suggestions mentioned here by the experienced members of the community.

But I really believe the actual problem is Matrix seeing the CC series as a milking source. They allocate very few resources to develop such a comprehensive game as CC and just put some make-up on it and yep, here we go, cash in the money!.. If I am not mistaken, the team consists of Steve as the main programmer and a couple of part-time working people. I am not a person who has any software engineering background (nor has taken part in game development etc.), but it definitely sounds very few people to me. As long as we keep buying the CC games, they will probably continue following this business plan.

Mooxe has pretty much summarized the main reasons of our dissatisfaction, so I don't have much else to add on top of it at the moment. But yeah, I hope they at least don't screw the next game, yet I don't have very high expectations.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:04 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
Funny discussion actually, you can fix most of the problems mentioned with EXcel Smile.

And by the way, we are waiting eagerly for your mod Dima!!  : )

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:08 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
Dima wrote (View Post):

And by the way, we are waiting eagerly for your mod Dima!!  : )

The problem of my mod is recreating FPs and teams. That really takes time for me. Sorry Iam not Firefox Sad.
Most of the things mentioned in this thread were fixed there already Smile

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:11 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

tejszd.......i know that in LSA when you change the difficulty level from say line to recruit that the german static BG's troop type changes. in this case you get more troops in there static BG and you get diff types of units in the BG.
EX: on line you would have 2 lmg squads. on recruit you would have 2 lmg squads and a HMG squad.

dont know if were talking the same thing tho with the dificulty level?

No we're not talking the same thing. The quantity/number of unit can change with the difficulty but there is no way to change the unit type any longer.

Examples;
- 8cm mortar team in place of 5cm mortar team
- panzer II in place of panzer I

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9
votes: 6

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:51 am Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

I all ways thought we would do better if we posted on the matrix CC forums. (I cant, to hard to log in)
The lack of discussions on the forum about Close Combat was disappointing. At the same time, i think the matrix developers should pay close attention to this site. Because its basically the home of Close Combat.
Thats another turn off about Matrix. They make so many goddamn games its not even funny. Maybe im just being a jealous boyfriend here. But i always hated how insignificant the game must of seemed to them.. when you look at all the other titles they do.
Basically its not a Close Combat forum. This is.

All we can do is watch and wait. I don't have the same level of hatred for the re-releases as some do. But im not overly excited.
I don't view the 3D graphics as the shining redemption forward. To me it feels like a ruse on there part.
And a side on camera angle i appose.

Any way. I'm still playing Close Combat. Chin up!

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Steve has confirmed that in LSA you can no longer change unit types by difficulty but gave no explanation why.... It should not be hard to add in since there is already a check for the turn so why could they not add a difficulty level (or all) check?

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3677142&mpage=1&key=&#3681486

Please add your comments calling for this missing feature to be added back/fixed to the thread above!

And the Matrix reply:
It was not a mistake, it was a design change. Access to better/worse units in LSA is primarily controlled by how many purchase points you have, which does vary by difficulty setting.

You might be able to fudge this somewhat using reinforcements to the FP with a single team of the desired type. I believe these will show up at lower difficulty and not at the higher (or highest) but I haven't looked at this in a while and I don't recall the cut-off point off the top of my head.

Steve

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:46 am Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Seems to be little point in posting bugs, the impact of changes and or mistakes as the answer almost always works as intended or it will be added to the list to one day be fixed.

There is a long list of thanks for posting but....

WAR/TLD
- 800x600 screens have unused black area around them to make it 1024x768 which prevents monitors/video cards from doubling the image to 1600x1200 (if you have that or higher screen resolution)
- 0:00 timer sometimes causes a crash *
- Air support sometimes causes a crash * example report http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3187893
- Morale break sometimes causes a crash *
- Pegasus bridge does not allow vehicles to move on it (this may affect other bridges too); problem started after new path finding AI was implemented, discussion here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2931150
- AI does not use support or assigns it to BG's that can not enter combat
- AI troops (usually Allied on beach) sometimes do not advance/attack/move until shot at; seems to have started after the last patch
- Windows 8 requires Windowed Mode (can't run full screen); couple reports here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3279021 **

* WAR/TLD crashes less than CC5 so progress has been made but still could be improved
** Win8 came out after WAR/TLD and is not listed as a supported OS

LSA
- no longer can set unit type by difficulty http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3677142&mpage=1&key=difficulty&#3677142
- no longer saves Campaigns/Operations after the last battle (end results) http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3299585&mpage=1&key=operation&#3299585
- scenario editor BG icons made smaller with no option to use CC5/WAR/TLD icon sizing http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3213338&mpage=1&key=editor%2Cicon&#3213338
- WAR/TLD issues

PiTF/GtC
- can no longer select individual units
- can no longer select/use units from the 2nd BG on a map
- can no longer see the BG value of units selected for battle or set the points per side for single battles in the editor
- guns/tanks miss a lot! It can be frustrating at times losing tanks/vehicles without knowing/seeing where the shot came from but it is realistic and requires better scouting/tactics
- UI issues http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3639292&mpage=1&key=&#3660028
- WAR/TLD issues
- LSA issues

All of the above have been posted in the Matrix forums by myself and others....

platoon_michael

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:12 am Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Tejszd wrote (View Post):
Seems to be little point in posting bugs, the impact of changes and or mistakes as the answer almost always works as intended or it will be added to the list to one day be fixed.

There is a long list of thanks for posting but....

WAR/TLD
- 800x600 screens have unused black area around them to make it 1024x768 which prevents monitors/video cards from doubling the image to 1600x1200 (if you have that or higher screen resolution)
- 0:00 timer sometimes causes a crash *
- Air support sometimes causes a crash * example report http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3187893
- Morale break sometimes causes a crash *
- Pegasus bridge does not allow vehicles to move on it (this may affect other bridges too); problem started after new path finding AI was implemented, discussion here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2931150
- AI does not use support or assigns it to BG's that can not enter combat
- AI troops (usually Allied on beach) sometimes do not advance/attack/move until shot at; seems to have started after the last patch
- Windows 8 requires Windowed Mode (can't run full screen); couple reports here http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3279021 **

* WAR/TLD crashes less than CC5 so progress has been made but still could be improved
** Win8 came out after WAR/TLD and is not listed as a supported OS

LSA
- no longer can set unit type by difficulty http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3677142&mpage=1&key=difficulty&#3677142
- no longer saves Campaigns/Operations after the last battle (end results) http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3299585&mpage=1&key=operation&#3299585
- scenario editor BG icons made smaller with no option to use CC5/WAR/TLD icon sizing http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3213338&mpage=1&key=editor%2Cicon&#3213338
- WAR/TLD issues

PiTF/GtC
- can no longer select individual units
- can no longer select/use units from the 2nd BG on a map
- can no longer see the BG value of units selected for battle or set the points per side for single battles in the editor
- guns/tanks miss a lot! It can be frustrating at times losing tanks/vehicles without knowing/seeing where the shot came from but it is realistic and requires better scouting/tactics
- UI issues http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3639292&mpage=1&key=&#3660028
- WAR/TLD issues
- LSA issues

All of the above have been posted in the Matrix forums by myself and others....

Add to that in GWTC the
Display Team List does not stay onscreen
Tool Panel does not highlight the Team when clicking on their messages.
Tool Panel does not work in conjunction with the Solder panel.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:44 am Post subject: Re: Anyone still playing? Reply with quote

Quote:
0:00 timer sometimes causes a crash *

The most annoying bug IMO on any of the CC's that never was fixed with any suitable workaround. PM's take the truce involved giving up valuable ground, making it about as bad as a crash (no offense).

Quote:
WAR/TLD crashes less than CC5 so progress has been made but still could be improved

Interesting. Always thought the patched 5.01 CC5 was more stable that latest patched versions of either WAR/TLD. Just with the 0:00 timer bug alone.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> Close Combat Gateway to Caen
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jump to: