Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1179
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:51 pm Post subject: mediocre Reply with quote

I wanted to see what everyone was talking about this mod, still don't know about all the hype.
I thought it was mediocre.

Stug too powerful
maps were cool some old cc3 stuff
russian anti tank teams were terrible.
mark 3s too powerful
the russian tank crews were terrible
Germans had unlimited supply of converted Russian tanks and those crews were better than the Russian crew? Don't think so. At times i even thought those converted tanks were more than I was given in the game playing as the reds.
troops wouldn't stay behind walls on some maps, on pre battle setup.
spent about 2 months playing, was unable to finish campaign with 4 days left.. errored back to desktop.
cc5 engine maybe, but artillery and air did nothing to ground units.
no river crossings for support troops or real russian encirclement on city at the end that I saw

I would have to give it a 5/10

after one plast of an rpg40 the crew had enough.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  575.52 KB
 Viewed:  602 Time(s)

after one plast of an rpg40 the crew had enough.png

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9
votes: 1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:42 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

Well, I am sure it has its own issues. However, Stalingrad is loved because it is the only East front mod with a non-buggy relatively balanced (it is arguable) H2H campaign. I personally like the atmosphere of the Der Kessel mods a lot, I think they have the best maps and ambiance among all CC5 mods. However, they have some little bugs and not very suitable for multiplayer games (really fun though when played).

Troger

Rep: 17.5
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):

In what sense? Teams won't assault and/or ineffective weapons?  I remember playing Stalingrad and having very difficult time using the German anti-tank teams with any effectiveness.  But, anti-tank teams that have handheld weapons (i.e., ones that require the soldier to be close to the tank) have always been hard to use in Close Combat.  Infantry in Close Combat seems to be coded to take cover (crawl) when a tank is in close proximity, and that makes assaulting a tank with a infantry team designed to assault it VERY difficult.  It's why I have argued for a an assault command that commands troops to assault with almost-reckless abandon.

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:00 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

vobbnobb wrote (View Post):

no river crossings for support troops or real russian encirclement on city at the end that I saw

Vobbnobb. This mod covers the summer attack on Stalingrad. If you want to play the Russian encirclement. Play Der kessel or operation circle.
What mods do you like most?

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

Schmal_Turm

Rep: 60.4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:03 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

The way I see it the CC Brothers who put all of their own time, talent, and energy into making these mods, and then making them available for FREE, I am eternally grateful. Therefore I would never see it right in any sense to criticize any of the mods, no matter what I may think of them.

"No plan ever survives first contact with the enemy." Moltke

Antony_nz

Rep: 83.9

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:12 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

The criticisms seem pretty minor. Thats why i asked what is his favorite mod is.

I think Stalingrad is a great mod.

http://talesofclosecombat.blogspot.co.nz/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website GameRanger Account

DoktorPaj

Rep: 28.4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:54 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

Schmal_Turm wrote (View Post):
The way I see it the CC Brothers who put all of their own time, talent, and energy into making these mods, and then making them available for FREE, I am eternally grateful. Therefore I would never see it right in any sense to criticize any of the mods, no matter what I may think of them.

I couldn't agree more.

johnsilver

Rep: 61.3
votes: 4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:20 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

Don't think many (if any) took Troger's post as an affront to the mod in question. It was just an issue with AT infantry and how he sees a possible fix for them. Myself and some others? Just work within the current parameters of the game as to how to use them, the current inherent weaknesses of them and just understand it's nearly impossible to move them under fire, or while under attack to a better position to "fling" explosives, unless through a building onto a tank under cover.

Mods such as SOC and SDKDK is where these could really help more and the Axis guns/tanks are severely limited on rounds.

Manoi

Rep: 89.5
votes: 7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:08 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

vobbnobb : Just to specify that this mediocre mod has taken us one year of work! Sure it is not perfect and could be improved (as you have seen my recent post, even the maps could be better (Angriff)
and don't forget this mod was done 5 or 10 years ago. So don't be too categorical in your judgement.
Thanks

dj

Rep: 157.1
votes: 9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:46 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

@Vobbnobb - keep in mind CC5 engine overall is terrible for single player vs AI.  Most CC5 mods are developed for H2H or 2 players accordingly.  The Maps are too big.  PJ, TT, Dreaded 88 and a few others designed mods specialized for single player vs AI.

Desertmouse

Rep: 54.3

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

WOW bit harsh to say someone's hard work and effort mediocre/naff
all Mods and Maps are great and worth your time to play if i don't like
a Mod or Map don't play it i would't come on hear and  criticize it

Keep up the good work ModnMap makers.

mooxe

Rep: 221.1
votes: 25

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:39 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

Stalingrad came out October 10th, 2005, and was the most anticipated mod since GJS. I am pretty judgmental when it comes to paying for new releases, but for free mods I am not. When you start your post with the word mediocre, the actual points you bring up probably wont get addressed.

Some say the mod is unbalanced, favouring Germans. I never finished a complete GC but I can say the Germans do have it tough with some of their BGs in the opening weeks. I like to fight as the underdog anyways.

Pzt_Crackwise

Rep: 64.9

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

By the way, I really would like to see Stalingrad made also available for TLD.  @Manoi and Dima: Have you guys stopped working on Angriff (the new Stalingrad mod) altogether? I hope the project is not dead : (

Dima

Rep: 87.3
votes: 16

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

Pzt_Crackwise wrote (View Post):
By the way, I really would like to see Stalingrad made also available for TLD.  @Manoi and Dima: Have you guys stopped working on Angriff (the new Stalingrad mod) altogether? I hope the project is not dead : (

I believe Stal will not work in TLD due to GS - will probably be impossible to assault houses and fighting inside.
I have an idea to rework data/FPs for CC5 but Manoi is too lazy to make adjustments for maps Razz.

as for vobbnobb, Manoi don't take him or his opinion seriously, just read his other posts Wink.

Quote:
Stug too powerful

they were in RL.

Quote:

they were in RL.

Quote:
mark 3s too powerful

they were in RL.

Quote:
the russian tank crews were terrible

they were in RL.

Quote:
Germans had unlimited supply of converted Russian tanks and those crews were better than the Russian crew? Don't think so. At times i even thought those converted tanks were more than I was given in the game playing as the reds.

as there is no reinforcement button, I don't know where did you see the unlimited supplies of anything including captured equipment.

Quote:
troops wouldn't stay behind walls on some maps, on pre battle setup.

the problem is not in mod but in a player here.

Quote:
spent about 2 months playing, was unable to finish campaign with 4 days left.. errored back to desktop.

sux to be you.

Quote:
cc5 engine maybe, but artillery and air did nothing to ground units.

remind me in 1 week when Iam at home, will show you some pictures of our Stal battles H2H.

Quote:

sometimes it's needed to have a basic knowledge of the battle you play or just ask why it was that or that.

Manoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:41 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):
I have an idea to rework data/FPs for CC5 but Manoi is too lazy to make adjustments for maps Razz.

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing

Manoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:45 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

In fact I have worked on the future version of Close combat for Matrix but I dont despair to make a new version of Stalingrad .

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:10 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

I really enjoyed the Stalingrad mod and thank everyone involved for their effort!

Having said that Manio stop working for Matrix and make things for all of us for free!

Troger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:51 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Myself and some others?

Who are these others?  Very Happy  

johnsilver wrote (View Post):
Just work within the current parameters of the game as to how to use them, the current inherent weaknesses of them and just understand it's nearly impossible to move them under fire, or while under attack to a better position to "fling" explosives, unless through a building onto a tank under cover.

Working within the current parameters?  Well, it's been 6-7 (lost count now) releases since CC5, I think we deserve better.  That "just take what you can get" attitude is old school, and it's what these "developers" are taking advantage of. We pay a lot of money (especially when you compare it to other games) and haven't really gotten any improvements.

Plus, you can't tell me that infantry didn't ASSAULT tanks with AT-weapons in WW2, it happened.  We should be able to re-create that and not have to wait for the exceedingly rare opportunity a tank strolls unaccompanied right next to your unit.

Troger

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:55 am Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

Dima wrote (View Post):

I believe Stal will not work in TLD due to GS - will probably be impossible to assault houses and fighting inside.

I think you are sadly right comrade Dima!

The girly soldiers (GS) of Cross of Iron, Wacht am Rhein, The Longest Day, Last Stand Arnhem, Panthers in the Fog, Gateway to Caen are not up to the task of Rattenkrieg.

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: mediocre Reply with quote

I would also love to see this mod ported to TLD / WAR.  It was one of my favs when playing classic CC5.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC5 Stalingrad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to: