Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Author
Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:30 pm Post subject: BO v1.4 (TLD), my review.... Reply with quote

Bloody Omaha v1.4 (played on CC-TLD, v5.50.14b)

Played as the Allies, hardest settings, 15 min battles, FM on. Achieved Total Allied Victory at 0900, Turn 1, June 7th. Overall I had a great experience playing a well manicured mod. I only had two CTDs, and they were of the 00:00 timer quality (my battle info was saved when I resumed the game).

I used Soldier mod '95' and it went perfectly with this mod in terms of scale. Tanks looked like tanks, not compact SUVs.  ;)

I've always thought of CC5 'Bloody Omaha' as the 'Saving Private Ryan' mod, as it covers the fighting depicted in the movie, has numerous stills and screenshots used in the UI, and even has a song from the movie. But Tom Hanks isn't on the beach. :)

Cohesion:  Allies 70%, Axis 68%
Axis Losses:  1843 KIA, 1644 WIA, Armor 41, Veh 14, Guns 63 (!)
Allied Losses: 829 KIA, 698 WIA, Armor 60, Veh 6, Guns 0

Pros:
-Beautiful maps!!! Beach maps are mostly exquisite and challenging. Other inland maps are attractive variations on the CC5 themes of the French countryside (D3, Longueville, Chemin).
-Beautifully drawn Strat Map
-Some maps are simply legendary and better than those in the original game (ex: Point du Hoc, Port-en-Bessin!)
-Large maps enhance strategic possibilities (ex: I enter Longueville from the west and faced with a delimma....do I attack south into the town, 150m away, or do I risk ambush or flanking as I traverse 600m to capture the town and roads on the far end of the map so my BG can keep moving?)
-Lovely unit pic photos. Most are clean and crisp and present appropriate images of the units they represent (ex: Jeep, Greyhound 37mm, 30 cal, Pfaust, US rangers, etc)
-Awesome vehicle graphics!  I like the large 'boxy' feel certain halftracks and SP guns had. The M7 Priest looked great! Tanks appear large and to scale. Colors are brighter, lines are more defined. Objects look less skewed than the original sets.
-Diversity of units. German formations had unique force pools and units had interesting weapon combos (arty and flak units were ingenious!)
-BG unit markers on the strat map appear supberb and much nicer than the stock games
-Reinforce works for both sides
-Smoke grenades that work exceedingly well!  'Smoke' engineers are a unit that are very important to the Allies in this mod....they can work wonders if used properly. Hands down my favorite team on most maps!
-MG42 is simply devastating in this mod! I haven't peeked at the data yet, but I'm guessing the kill rating is substantially higher, as those bursts shred infantry and knock out scout cars with ease. There were times were I had to halt entire platoons until I could isolate and terminate the MG team firing on me.

Cons:
-Map inconsistencies (elevation poorly depicted, grass colors not matching, a few sloppy cut & paste jobs on some maps, tree shadows depicting different terrain than that of surrounding area – ex: crops instead of high grass).
-Wrecks were often hard to distinguish from 'live' vehicles, especially the StuGIII. Was this intentional?
-Some inland maps felt like 'filler' and were not as fun as the beach maps.
-Default BG unit selections seem disorganized (esp Germans) and need to be manually edited.
-Delay on mortar round firing/landing was too long (and often annoying)

Questions:
-If Turn 1 on June 6th @ 1800 was 'NIGHT' (and it was dark), why is there a turn 1 and 2 also labeled 1800??
-The night flare sound cue is a guy yelling 'Jabos!'...is this intentional?
-I noticed that 'resting' Bgs doesn't do anything. I left 2/16/1st ID 'resting' for four full turns and there was no increase in fatigue/cohesion bars (they remained yellow and orange, respectively). Isn't this supposed to increase with time?
-What was the rationale for using 30 cal MG teams with only 3 men, when historically they used 5-6 men?  Is this an abstract expression of attrition on the battlefield?
-As above, why 3-man 60mm teams and 4-man 81mm teams?  Again, is this due to attrition from the landings or simply a convenience for the modder?
-My 50 cal MG team scored a tank kill....Im assuming this was from firing on an open-topped vehicle (perhaps that russian gun on the czech chassis, or something)???
-Geballte Ladung is back!  Why not in TLD?
-108 rnds of ammo for Snipers?
-Sherman dozer has over 6000 rnds of MG ammo, but Sherman DD only has 1100?
-Nice touch with the US names (with asteriks)...I'm assuming these were actual soldiers in the US units present?
-Some injured soldiers always appear as orange (incapacitated) instead of yellow (hurt) in the 'soldier' screen. Can this be fixed?
-I noticed that the Sherman DD was 'repairing' its bow MG almost constantly through certain battles. Was this intentional / historical, as these tanks were often damaged in the water and by landings?

Observations / Gripes:
-Strat map arrows not always appearing or displaying which way a BG is headed (ex:Deux-Juneaux to Jucoville, An-en-Bessin to Louvieres, from Louvieres to Formigny, etc).
-In the 'zoom out' function when viewing a map, the correct name does not appear in text at the bottom (they are still the classic CC5 names, ex: Carentan instead of Louvieres, Raids instead of Columbieres, Fort du Roul instead of Dog Green, etc)
-Some commander pics are missing (ex: 513/30 Schnelle - 'von Aufsess', US 1st ID - Col Seitz, 635th TD - LCOL Smith, 743rd TB - LCOL Upham, Ari - 'von Kistow', etc)
-Medals: Bronze stars and Silver Stars were occasionally rewarded, mainly to tankers, AT crews, and MG teams. Only had one soldier get a Distinguished Cross, and that was the leader of a Ranger Assault team.
-I like the Scheissbecher team with 2 men, 2 rifle grenades. Nice 'tank hunting' option for Germans that can be deadly if deployed right.
-D/E/F Rangers are the toughest Allied unit on the map...nice!
-On Montebourg, the elevation depiction on the map is skewed and not consistent with the graphic image.
-German FOBs were disappointing and uninspiring. Very inaccurate and rarely a game-changer.
-I noticed than an enemy Pzschreck killed one of my armored cars at 190m (!!)
-Sherman Dozer was listed as an 'amphibious tank' in descriptor bar
-For the first time ever in CC, I killed an enemy infantryman with a smoke round from a bazooka...whizzzzzz   Twisted Evil
-Won a 'Decisive Victory' on Dog Green, defending from the Germans attacking from the north. Should have been a 'Total Victory', as I had all the VLs and the enemy BG was gone the next turn.
-Occasionally when assigning a mortar or air strike to a sector, I drag-and-drop the icon to the appropriate BG marker, only to have it disappear and still be substracted from the tally on the left hand side of the UI (???). Only happened twice, but still....no air strike would appear on the BG marker, nor appear in the game.
-'Ari Beobachter' unit shows man holding MP40, yet is armed with French SMGs in the game.
-Flamethrowers NOT firing when ordered to do so. This was also a problem in classic CC5, IIRC. 'Weapon lost' message, 'waiting' to fire, firing but nothing happens, then switches to carbine and fires – even with an enemy within 30m (??!).

Suggestions:
-US has too many BG available in GC. An edited version of the GC with 10-12 less American Bgs is more challenging.
-105mm guns (M4s, M7) seem overpowered. Kill rating or related stat could be toned down.
-Some units had the same name, but with different points, morale, training, and weapon combos. Perhaps some customization with team names that are alike (ex: Scheissbecher Team, Scheissbecher AT; Spahtrupp AT, Spahtrupp SMG, Spahtrupp Rifle, etc)
-Create different names file for Ost Batallion to reflect Russian, Ukrainian, Polish names in that unit
-Command Stuart unit pic is that of an M4 Sherman
-II/726/716 ID has '7.5cm IG' duplicated in Fpool
-M8A1 uses short-barrel 75mm; long barrel is pictured

4.5 / 5 Stars   Exclamation  

(Kudos to Tesjzd for porting the mod to TLD!)

Tejszd

Rep: 133.6
votes: 19

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:40 pm Post subject: Re: BO v1.4 (TLD), my review.... Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Uberdave!

Where to start in replying??? I'll break my reply into your sections.

So lets make this is the easy reply.

- thanks for the list of pros!

Tejszd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:45 pm Post subject: Re: BO v1.4 (TLD), my review.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Cons:
-Map inconsistencies (elevation poorly depicted, grass colors not matching, a few sloppy cut & paste jobs on some maps, tree shadows depicting different terrain than that of surrounding area – ex: crops instead of high grass).

for this if you can pinpoint specific items it will be much easier to find/fix???

Quote:

-Wrecks were often hard to distinguish from 'live' vehicles, especially the StuGIII. Was this intentional?

I believe this was done on purpose by the original mod team

Quote:

-Some inland maps felt like 'filler' and were not as fun as the beach maps.

every map is different thus creating a different experience but maybe some were put in not because of a specific battle or feature but to add travel time

Quote:

-Default BG unit selections seem disorganized (esp Germans) and need to be manually edited.

This could be looked at which could help the AI as I do not believe it substitutes units based on the BG it is fighting or map it finds itself on - pending

Quote:

-Delay on mortar round firing/landing was too long (and often annoying)

Here are the settings for mortars;

Mod Reload Clip Fire
BO 8cm 30 30 40 = 100
Meuse 60mm 50 35 10 = 95
Meuse 81mm 100 35 10 = 145
WAR 5cm 10 10 20 = 40
WAR 8cm 100 35 10 = 145
TLD 5cm 10 20 10 = 40
TLD 8cm 100 35 10 = 145
PiTF 5cm 100 20 10 = 130
PiTF 8cm 100 25 10 = 135

I think the mod makers were trying to stop players from calling down fire instantly on spotted troops but the 40 to Fire setting equals 4 seconds which makes it very hard to use. It probably also hurts the AI as it probably doesn't lead troops. In Meuse I adjusted reload time based on shell size thinking heavier/larger shells would slow down firing. I can change the settings in BO to 40 40 20 thus the 1st shot will take 2 seconds instead of 4 keeping the original mod makers intentions intact and also not increasing the overall rate of fire as it is one of the fastest already....

Last edited by Tejszd on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:02 am; edited 4 times in total

Tejszd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: BO v1.4 (TLD), my review.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Questions:
-If Turn 1 on June 6th @ 1800 was 'NIGHT' (and it was dark), why is there a turn 1 and 2 also labeled 1800??

The mod uses multiple original game days within 1 mod day to get a more detailed breakdown of a day (1.5hrs per daylight turns);
Day / Turn
June 6 06:00 / Turn 1 & 2
June 6 09:00 / Turn 1 & 2
June 6 12:00 / Turn 1 & 2
June 6 15:00 / Turn 1 & 2
June 6 18:00 / Turn 1 & 2
June 6 18:00 / Night *** this was wrong, it needed to be June 7 06:00 / Night ***
June 7 06:00 / Turn 1 & 2

DONE. Had the night setting 1 day too soon in the campaign.txt.

Quote:
-The night flare sound cue is a guy yelling 'Jabos!'...is this intentional?

This is most likely a mod bug. - pending
Quote:
-I noticed that 'resting' Bgs doesn't do anything. I left 2/16/1st ID 'resting' for four full turns and there was no increase in fatigue/cohesion bars (they remained yellow and orange, respectively). Isn't this supposed to increase with time?

This should work. Though maybe you found a bug since WAR did not originally use fatigue/cohesion???

The amount you recover per turn is based on 3 things;
1) the BG must be set to rest and not do any fighting or movement to recover at all
2) the amount you recover at night is great than day (I guess the body clock?)
3) the amount you recover is a percentage of the drop from normally thus slightly worn down BG's will get minimal benefit from resting
Quote:
-What was the rationale for using 30 cal MG teams with only 3 men, when historically they used 5-6 men?  Is this an abstract expression of attrition on the battlefield?

Unfortunately I do not know what the original mod makers intention was. If historically they only carried ammo for the MG that really doesn't work in CC and would be my guess for getting rid of them? It also matches the German 3 man MG team?
Quote:
-As above, why 3-man 60mm teams and 4-man 81mm teams?  Again, is this due to attrition from the landings or simply a convenience for the modder?

Unfortunately I do not know what the original mod makers intention was. If historically they only carried ammo for the mortar that really doesn't work in CC would be my guess for maybe getting rid of them?
Quote:
-My 50 cal MG team scored a tank kill....Im assuming this was from firing on an open-topped vehicle (perhaps that Russian gun on the czech chassis, or something)???

Probably just a fluke as CC does allow a really low chance for things like this to happen.
Quote:
-Geballte Ladung is back!  Why not in TLD?

What about the grenade bundle???
Quote:
-108 rnds of ammo for Snipers?

Does sound high, can be looked at.
BO US 9 *12 = 108 this looks like an oops, doing a quick look on the net came up with 5 rounds per clip on multiple web sites
BO GE 5 * 18 = 90
WAR US sniper 5 * 12 = 60
WAR GE sniper 5 * 18 = 90
TLD US sniper 5 * 12 = 60
TLD GE sniper 5 * 18 = 90
PiTF US sniper 5 * 10 = 50
PiTF GE sniper 5 * 12 = 60

DONE

Quote:
-Sherman dozer has over 6000 rnds of MG ammo, but Sherman DD only has 1100?

Does sound high, can be looked at.

The M4 DD and Dozer variants can not use their bow MG thus all MG ammo is available to the coax so they should both have double the regular M4 Sherman tanks.

Quote:
-Nice touch with the US names (with asteriks)...I'm assuming these were actual soldiers in the US units present?

I believe you are right that those are real names.
Quote:
-Some injured soldiers always appear as orange (incapacitated) instead of yellow (hurt) in the 'soldier' screen. Can this be fixed?

I can check to make sure both color bars are in place but the exe determines which should be displayed.
Quote:
-I noticed that the Sherman DD was 'repairing' its bow MG almost constantly through certain battles. Was this intentional / historical, as these tanks were often damaged in the water and by landings?

Checked the weapon data and there are actually a lot of guns with lower reliability (298 on a 512 scale with 512 being a 100%. Normal in the base game and mods seems to be 398). I think this is intentional.

Last edited by Tejszd on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:03 am; edited 13 times in total

Tejszd

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:01 pm Post subject: Re: BO v1.4 (TLD), my review.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Observations / Gripes:
-Strat map arrows not always appearing or displaying which way a BG is headed (ex:Deux-Juneaux to Jucoville, An-en-Bessin to Louvieres, from Louvieres to Formigny, etc).

Note: if you press spacebar to see connected maps it only shows 1 direction so is wrong for one of the 2 sides checking map connections.

For the example map connections I checked and there are exit VL's defined on both maps and they get a yellow outline but you can not move on the strat layer so no arrow appears. Turns out these connections were missed in Stratmap.txt! I'll need to add them and create new arrows...

Edit: Dec. 6/2014 - added/fixed 3 missing arrows

Do you have an example with the arrow the wrong way? Screen capture? Tried moving a German BG around the map but never got an arrow the wrong way.

Edit: Dec. 7/2014 - DONE. Made sure all arrows point from the lower to higher numbered map and then checked all arrow pairs to maker sure they were opposites.

Quote:
-In the 'zoom out' function when viewing a map, the correct name does not appear in text at the bottom (they are still the classic CC5 names, ex: Carentan instead of Louvieres, Raids instead of Columbieres, Fort du Roul instead of Dog Green, etc)

DONE. Found that the names were not exported from the CC5 gamegadg.gdg file and imported into the TLD version of the mod.

Quote:
-Some commander pics are missing (ex: 513/30 Schnelle - 'von Aufsess', US 1st ID - Col Seitz, 635th TD - LCOL Smith, 743rd TB - LCOL Upham, Ari - 'von Kistow', etc)

If you can help me find them I'll add them....
Quote:
-Medals: Bronze stars and Silver Stars were occasionally rewarded, mainly to tankers, AT crews, and MG teams. Only had one soldier get a Distinguished Cross, and that was the leader of a Ranger Assault team.

Controlled by the exe
Quote:
-I like the Scheissbecher team with 2 men, 2 rifle grenades. Nice 'tank hunting' option for Germans that can be deadly if deployed right.

Observation
Quote:
-D/E/F Rangers are the toughest Allied unit on the map...nice!

Observation
Quote:
-On Montebourg, the elevation depiction on the map is skewed and not consistent with the graphic image.

I can check this - pending
Quote:
-German FOBs were disappointing and uninspiring. Very inaccurate and rarely a game-changer.

The German off board are very inaccurate;
15cm 10
10.5cm 20
8.8cm 30

The US off board is very inaccurate too;
Smoke 10
150mm 10
105mm 20

DONE. Added a 0 to all of the off board support weapons. This should help the AI as the quantity of them is related to the difficulty level (Elite gets very few while a Recruit get more)

Quote:
-I noticed than an enemy Pzschreck killed one of my armored cars at 190m (!!)

Maximum range is set at 230m and anything over a 100m is considered long thus has a reduced chance to hit. But it is possibly.... Seems high as most websites put the max. range around 150m. Stock TLD used 250m / WAR 150m / PiTF 150m. Changed to 150m
Maximum range for the Bazooka in the mod is 200m which seems high too. Stock TLD used 150m / WAR 130m / PiTF 120m. Changed to 130!

DONE

Quote:
-Sherman Dozer was listed as an 'amphibious tank' in descriptor bar

DONE. Changed description to Medium Tank.

Quote:
-For the first time ever in CC, I killed an enemy infantryman with a smoke round from a bazooka...whizzzzzz   Twisted Evil

Observation
Quote:
-Won a 'Decisive Victory' on Dog Green, defending from the Germans attacking from the north. Should have been a 'Total Victory', as I had all the VLs and the enemy BG was gone the next turn.

An exe issue?

Checked the scrngadg.gdg file and the victory images are correct.

Quote:
-Occasionally when assigning a mortar or air strike to a sector, I drag-and-drop the icon to the appropriate BG marker, only to have it disappear and still be substracted from the tally on the left hand side of the UI (???). Only happened twice, but still....no air strike would appear on the BG marker, nor appear in the game.

An exe issue?
Quote:
-'Ari Beobachter' unit shows man holding MP40, yet is armed with French SMGs in the game.

Recommend a replacement pic???
Quote:
-Flamethrowers NOT firing when ordered to do so. This was also a problem in classic CC5, IIRC. 'Weapon lost' message, 'waiting' to fire, firing but nothing happens, then switches to carbine and fires – even with an enemy within 30m (??!).

Have to check the min and max range, maybe they were too close? Or was there friendly troops too close by? An exe issue?

German Flammenwerfer min. range is 6m while max. is either 30m or 60m depending on the type.
US FT min. range is 5m while max. is 30m.

Last edited by Tejszd on Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:05 am; edited 14 times in total

Tejszd

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:28 am Post subject: Re: BO v1.4 (TLD), my review.... Reply with quote

Quote:
Suggestions:
-US has too many BG available in GC. An edited version of the GC with 10-12 less American Bgs is more challenging.

Quote:
-105mm guns (M4s, M7) seem overpowered. Kill rating or related stat could be toned down.

Quote:
-Some units had the same name, but with different points, morale, training, and weapon combos. Perhaps some customization with team names that are alike (ex: Scheissbecher Team, Scheissbecher AT; Spahtrupp AT, Spahtrupp SMG, Spahtrupp Rifle, etc)

Quote:
-Create different names file for Ost Batallion to reflect Russian, Ukrainian, Polish names in that unit

DONE. Added a RUnames.txt file.
Quote:
-Command Stuart unit pic is that of an M4 Sherman

DONE. Changed Command Stuart unit pic from M4 Sherman to Staurt (Alsteams.txt, GameGadg.gdg & ScrnGadg.gdg)
Quote:
-II/726/716 ID has '7.5cm IG' duplicated in Fpool

Quote:
-M8A1 uses short-barrel 75mm; long barrel is pictured

DONE.  Changed M8A1 75mm unit pic to side image to show short-barrel (GameGadg.gdg & ScrnGadg.gdg)

Last edited by Tejszd on Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:13 am; edited 1 time in total

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:55 am Post subject: Re: BO v1.4 (TLD), my review.... Reply with quote

Thx for the info on mortars. Do you have a spreadsheet with weapon strength/range comparisons that you could upload/share?  Very Happy  It is the 40 'fire' setting that bugs me. It is too delayed, especially in the heat of combat. Good to see the 'night' issue being fixed. The dates just didn't make sense.

Re: resting. Yes, I didn't notice an increase in fatigue or cohesion in any of my resting BGs...even after several turns. I'm using the TLD version, not WAR, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.

Geballte Ladung, a classic AT weapon in CC, was strangely absent in TLD.

re: Snipers...Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought they were issued the same amount of ammo as a typical soldier with the Springfield rifle as their primary weapon (50-60??).

re: Sherman Dozer...these M4s typically had the bow MG deleted due to the dozer attachment. Normally Shermans were allotted 4750 rnds between the Coax and Bow MGs, and about 300-330 rnds for the 50 cal AA. I don't know the modders intentions, and I don't want to encourage any significant changes to the game. But it seems like the 6250 rnds for the Coax MG could be reduced to 2250 or 2500. I'm assuming the DD Shermans could also have their MG ammo raised, but then both tanks would essentially be the same.

re: gun reliability...the data I looked at shows that most base CC5 weapons range around 452 (88%), which is fairly high. But that is summer of 1944, and weapons were more reliable than say, 1940. Mortars seem to be among the lowest (398 - 78%). In BO however, there are many that are lower. IMO, the low reliability numbers make sense and adds to the realism of the game.

Oh geez, I never knew about the space bar feature on the Strat Map. Can't believe I never heard of it. Thanks!  As for examples, I played as the Allies and didn't take any screenshots. The examples I listed were instances as you described....no arrow indicating that they could move to a sector, but it was outlined in yellow, and the BG did move to that location after executing the turn. Arrows did not appear.

I'll look through the hundreds of pics I have, as I need to organize them. I may have some of the commanders, as well as some Germans with French SMGs.

Re: Zooks and Schrecks, I believe that base CC5 values were 180m max range for both. Lowering it would make sense. I've never seen a Pzshreck kill from that distance before.

Quote:
Won a 'Decisive Victory' on Dog Green, defending from the Germans attacking from the north. Should have been a 'Total Victory', as I had all the VLs and the enemy BG was gone the next turn

The problem here was that the wrong 'victory screen' was shown. I did not win a decisive victory, it was a total victory, as I had captured all VLs and forced the enemy to disband. Maybe an exe issue...or perhaps graphics?

Flamethrower issue seems to be in every version of CC...must have something to do with its special weapon status, shrug.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> CC5 Bloody Omaha

Jump to: