Welcome to Close Combat Series
  Login or Register Home  ·  Downloads  ·  Forums  ·  Combat Camera  ·  Help  

Survey
Do incapacitations count as a soldier's kills?

Yes
No

Results
Polls

Votes 1212
Comments: 1

Shout Box!!

Only registered users can shout. Please login or create an account.

Main Menu
Articles & News  
    Help
    Player`s News
    Site News
    Multiplayer
    Terrain Challenge
    Boot Camp
Community  
    Forums
    Downloads
    Combat Camera
    MOOXE @ Youtube
    Statistics
Members  
    Private Messages
    Your Account
    Logout

Donations
Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
08/15/2022

Anonymous - $25.00
12/18/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
11/08/2021

Anonymous - $15.00
04/09/2021

Anonymous - $100.00
04/05/2021

Anonymous - $20.00
02/20/2021

Anonymous - $10.00
12/29/2020

Anonymous - $1.00
11/06/2020

ZAPPI4 - $20.00
10/10/2020

Find our site useful? Make a small donation to show your support.

Search for at
Close Combat Series Advanced Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Author
vobbnobb

Rep: 73
votes: 6

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:16 am Post subject: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

I never saw a section for this so here we go...

Buildings overlooking open fields (higher ground advantage)

On some maps in cc games there are multi-story building over looking a decently large field, don't start shooting at the enemy in the hedgerow or crops! You will waste your ammo, blow your cover and possibly even take casualties trying to hit concealed troops. Wait until they start moving before opening fire. An MG team in this situation in an upper floor overlooking the area is at it's peak deadliness. Add a sniper and mortar to work the field and your team will become deadlier. Try to cover the flanks so they cannot sneak up on your sides.

Now if you are trying to take the building use smoke, mortar and mg to suppress the building team and MOVE WITH COVER slowly to the building. Entering the side or rear is a lot safer than a head on entrance. The enemy MG or rifle team wants you to cross that huge field. DON'T. It was historically accurate that troops would take out mg teams by first using smoke to get out of the MG's LOS and then storming inside to the sides or rear door of that building once secured the more troops would now enter through the front now that the threat is gone. sneaking through cover by each team going difference directions to the building while 1 team suppresses it would cause enemy building group to panic, and make a side entrance assaults that much easier.

My WW2 CC Series TimeLine
http://tinyurl.com/n2vrec5

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

I use smoke a lot for cover, especially as the Allies. Its almost required to avoid devastating MG or tank fire.

As for multi-storied buildings, they are the most obvious places to put units on a map, so avoid doing so. Maybe a Sniper or an FO that won't draw fire. Sometimes I just leave them on ambush and have them observe and spot units for the others to target.

I don't like to use AT guns in CC, as they are quickly spotted and destroyed after one shot (or before even that). I like to place them on the edges of maps so they aren't so vulnerable to mortar, arty, and airstrikes.

Mastering the art of using sneak vs move vs very fast is a whole new topic.  Exclamation

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:39 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

Don't let guys with low experience levels take on elite soldiers, it will be disastrous. If your moving battle groups around on map try to match more experienced troops. You don't want dumb teen rookies and old men going against elite groups.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:40 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

You can force an entire tank crew to surrender peacefully, by bombarding it with HE shells, suppressive fire from all directions or surrounding it. I don't actually know if it is injuries, a damaged barrel, broken tracks registers or something else that forces them out.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:02 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

As in real life, the higher the elevation the more cold, snow and slippery roads.

On snowy CC maps on hills its a bear to move a tank around on and can become a fortress for your troops if there are trees or trenches on it. Excellent for AT and AT howitzer teams and bad for tanks trying to chase you.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:54 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

Did you know the older US water-cooled M1917 Browning machine gun found in the CC games, has a longer range and more ammo than the newer US ww2 m1919 30 cal mg?

That means firing at longer distances with less reloads.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:02 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

You know that's all fine and dandy what you posted.

But what do you do when your out gunned,out manned,timer is ticking and you need the Map?

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:49 pm Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

^ sneak around the back? Sometimes you can draw enemy to a certain area of the map just by random shooting at objects, enemy will try to locate you. Very Happy Come on guys post.. You too michael lets hear them.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:47 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

Mortar team tips and tricks?

-Move mortar guys up just behind front line. Keeping them way in the back only makes them miss more.
-Not tested but mortar fires more accurate at target launched on paved road versus soft ground. Recoil stoppage on paved road/ tube doesn't kick into the ground. Troops don't seem to become as winded in setup process either, like they do in if setting up in a hedgerow. No digging dirt for base plate etc. Also HE impacts on roads are FAR more deadlier than landing in a soft dirt area. Tested by me.
-Not tested but other units on same teams green visual increase mortar accuracy?

papa_whisky

Rep: 42.2
votes: 4

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:07 pm Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

If you have LOS then yes accuracy of indirect fire increases enormously, however, mortars are a valuable and rare resource so I never want them to be in a postion where they do has LOS aas that exposes them to risk.

platoon_michael

Rep: 56.2
votes: 25

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

Indirect fire kills just as effectively as Direct fire.

Stay away from Church towers or the front of buildings facing your opponent at at anytime possible during battle when your opponent has Tanks or vehicles with fast loading HE rounds.

I target those areas Immediately.

Watch for Foxholes.
Look for new ones.

Lay new Foxholes then move back after the Battle starts.

If possible use Barrages or Naval/Heavy support on maps where your opponent is attacking and locked into he small deployment area that is CC.
It's more effective.

I agree with keeping Mortars to the back,and even keep them close to exit VL's.
You do NOT want to move these guys around as it always seems to me they get winded Very easily thus leaving them even more ineffective using there Rifles when needed.
In earlier versions of CC their Rifles seemed to be spot on when shooting,in the re-released version of WAR I don't feel they are as effective.A nice forgotten touch.

Play against Mooxe.
All tactics work! Smile   <--Joke and a somewhat calling out to continue our CCIV GC.

dj

Rep: 157.5
votes: 9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:40 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

One of my usual moves is to use the weakest teams and vehicles as sacrificial lambs in the early battles.  Let the foreign volunteers, reserves, trucks etc get sacrificed to do the recon scouting and take VL's.  Then hold my best troops and vehicles as elite reserves waiting for counter-attack or final assaults.  Much like the Romans did, using their foreign recruits or auxiliary forces to take the brunt of combat.

Uberdave

Rep: 26.9

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:26 pm Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

re: foxholes...On maps where I am 'dug-in', I like to form trenches behind buildings and just inside tree lines. I then order the units to advance during the battle, lets say 20-50m. That way they have a nice fall-back position freshly dug and waiting.

~ DJ - love that idea. I did that with Ostruppen in the original CC5. Small 2-3 man scout/recon teams are a good alternative, as they survive even longer due to higher experience and morale.

ke_mechial

Rep: 89.1
votes: 2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:35 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

I always dedicate enough time to check for points for optimal LOS with maximum cover both in offense and defense. (Points intersecting street crossroads are also nice for AT guns.) I deploy heavy mg teams there. Then I put a recon team as spearhead, which could pick out hidden enemy teams by attracting their fire. By the way, it seems reasonable Browning 1917 is more effective than 1919 when I check videos in youtube.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:49 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

Troops moving across land..

In gateway to Caen there are some rainy maps where troops become winded trying to get through the muddy fields, use trucks or tracked transport stuff to get them to an area faster then you can then send them to take the dry roads.

Also noticed troops become less winded running through cleared areas like roads or grass and get winded more often trying to cross hedgerows, brush and snowy or soggy ground.

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 5:54 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

Cutting an enemy completely off in center off a map?

Has anyone tried this? Take all roads leading into map and pin them into the center enemies morale will drop battle after battle after hitting ceasefire key you will win because you have more flags anyways. Soon could possibly surrender many troops anyone tried this before? Does cutting off supplies work inside the map inself or only at the pre battle icon movement?

Doesn't taking the roads reduce troops supplies? Especially if the roads connects to another enemy unit or depot?

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:04 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

ke_mechial wrote (View Post):
By the way, it seems reasonable Browning 1917 is more effective than 1919 when I check videos in youtube.
The 1917 had a firing sight on it for long range, never knew that, I wonder if CC takes that into account as well.

rom7

Rep: 46.7
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:06 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

First things first; status indicator set to morale: CC is one of the first games that actually model morale and suppression realistically.
Avoid the obvious paths. Use a lot of smoke and supress the enemy. SUPRESSION IS THE KEY.
Maintain overlapping fields of fire.
Tanks must be protected by infantry. ALWAYS.
Maintain reserve near at the front.

Last edited by rom7 on Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total

rom7

Rep: 46.7
votes: 1

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:07 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

DEL

vobbnobb

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:09 am Post subject: Re: Post your Strategies! Reply with quote

I would like to know if it's possible to hold the enemy in center of a map while cutting off supplies by taking outer roads that lead off map is possible until the moral and ammo run low for a mass surrender a couple battle later.

Post new topicReply to topic printer-friendly view Close Combat Series Forum Index -> The Mess
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Jump to: